Is this a good decision by the QB?

Advertisement
What level did you play at?

Went to college at Tennessee Tech to play football and baseball but was on baseball scholarship. First week in summer I was told I was being moved from QB (played it in HS I knew they recruited me as an athlete) to DB and then hurt my wrist making a tackle in the first couple days of fall camp and had to have a bone removed. Baseball team ending up pulling my scholarship because I couldn’t swing a bat because of lost range of motion and lost grip strength. Finished out playing baseball at another school. So I didn’t play football really past high school other than some workouts and playbook reviews and maybe 1 week of practice lmao

I didn’t like it. As a former QB I could still feel my internal clock saying look for your check down and get rid of it and he never even gave it a look and it just happened to be wide open. You’re not always, especially not with our OL, gonna be able to hang in the middle of the pocket that long so what’s gonna happen when he can’t? Probably get blown up and throw it right to the LB, get it tipped at the line, or stripped.

Did great stepping up in the pocket, kept his eyes up and feet going, and made a tough throw. You’d like for him to see Deejay in his peripheral though or he even had room to scramble and pick up some yardage to the right and possibly get out of bounds. But that’s just how cfb is anymore. No more conservatism and the ones that force those throws and get away with it end up being great college QBs ala Mayfield, Manziel, Murray, Jameis, etc.

Basically comes down to did he improvise and see the play good enough from the pocket to know to hang in and squeeze it in there or did he just force it regardless of what he saw? Based on last year it was the latter.

Based on those comments from Enos, maybe he's made progress and it's the former.

Based on those comments from Enos, maybe he's made progress and it's the former.

Could be. Also just got awarded most improved QB for the spring. Kept his eyes up so he was seeing the play happen.

Just for the future and while he’s still learning the plays and progressions you would like to see him find that check down. In the future when he’s running the offense full speed and has good route anticipation I’m ok with these types of improv. I’m old school for my age though. I see guys like Mayfield make plays that end up being successful that make me cringe watching it happen.. if it works I’m done picking at it. I’ve been trying to step back and see it more as a fan and want to quit seeing it how I did when I was a player. It’s more fun that way. Baseball is more enjoyable when you understand the strategy and the nuances of the game. Football is the opposite lol

Advertisement
Went to college at Tennessee Tech to play football and baseball but was on baseball scholarship. First week in summer I was told I was being moved from QB (played it in HS I knew they recruited me as an athlete) to DB and then hurt my wrist making a tackle in the first couple days of fall camp and had to have a bone removed. Baseball team ending up pulling my scholarship because I couldn’t swing a bat because of lost range of motion and lost grip strength. Finished out playing baseball at another school. So I didn’t play football really past high school other than some workouts and playbook reviews and maybe 1 week of practice lmao

Injuries can change everything.

It was 2nd and 14 during this play. I remember because there were lost yards on the previous play and I wanted to see how Perry and Enos would respond to the down and distance.

No way in **** Dj gets the 1st down on that play but he would have made the 3rd down play call a lot easier.

Hindsight is double edge sword.

Game on the line we need that throw. Game not on the line, it's risky.

If it results in a 1st down or a Td, I'll take it.

Advertisement
I'm guessing you're a Tate fan. I dont think Perry is the guy, particularly after not having command of the simple play book the last two seasons, and his off field junk - not what I was getting out, just commenting on the play. I'll take the 17 yard competiton and line up for another play.
Actually I like Williams he goes through his progressions and has better footwork than Perry, when the fit hits the shan Perry has a tendency to depend on his arm talent instead of following through on his throws, but as far as the qb whichever one picks up Enos's system best is going to make for a fun year offensively

He does get locked onto Guys but that was a great play by him
Not a great play at all. Was great seeing him step into the pocket and not get sacked, but his best two options where the RB in the flats to the right or take off running to his right into the open space and get what he could and slide or get out of bounds. Those two things would have made it a great play. Throwing into triple coverage isn't great.

Advertisement
Kosi locked onto his first target from the snap almost every time he threw a ball in a game last season. It is a really bad and dangerous habit.

Locked onto Harley against UVA so many times that he managed to completely ruin our season and get Richt to retire.

Is there any video out there of Tate and Jarren's drives against the first team defense?

Is there any video out there of Tate and Jarren's drives against the first team defense?

I guarantee there is. Each one of those guys had bad reads and bad throws in the spring. Even if they were all Americans they would’ve had some bad reads/throws. I just haven’t had a snippet come across my timeline like this where you had at least two maybe even three possible choices clearly shown on a small two or three second video.

The only reason that this thread was started, is that this just happened to come across my timeline. It could’ve been any of the three quarterbacks.

Advertisement
I guarantee there is. Each one of those guys had bad reads and bad throws in the spring. Even if they were all Americans they would’ve had some bad reads/throws. I just haven’t had a snippet come across my timeline like this where you had at least two maybe even three possible choices clearly shown on a small two or three second video.

The only reason that this thread was started, is that this just happened to come across my timeline. It could’ve been any of the three quarterbacks.
My post wasn't meant to be a shot at N'Kosi. I just wasn't able to see either of Jarren's or Tate's one drive against the ones and I really want to see it. This was the most relevant thread to post the question in.

My post wasn't meant to be a shot at N'Kosi. I just wasn't able to see either of Jarren's or Tate's one drive against the ones and I really want to see it. This was the most relevant thread to post the question in.

I didn’t take your post as a shot to Kosi. I though you made a fair post.

We can criticize play without taking shots, it’s just that a lot of people on this site don’t know how to criticize without being asshœles about it.

I’m neither calling out one specific QB, nor overly praising him.

I’m posting this fairly straightforward example to see what people say regarding this play. Again, this is NOT about a particular player, inasmuch as it is about how we evaluate a specific play and/or player. A specific completion, a specific result.

I’ll post my evaluation, and I am admittedly no quarterback expert not even a little bit, later in this thread.

Gotta hella lotta replies on here with not many likes.

PAY YOUR RESPECTS PEOPLE

Gotta hella lotta replies on here with not many likes.

PAY YOUR RESPECTS PEOPLE

I mean the important thing is just having a rational discussion about QB decision making. Having never played the position, I find the thought process and speed of decision making a worthy subject.

Unfortunately, some people to start going to their corners and making it about individuals and their own personal preferences and biases, rather than talking about the process as a whole

Advertisement
Back