Is there a bigger MUST GET than Wesley Bissainthe this recruiting cycle?

The ONE "unathletic, slow, walk on LB" you keep mentioning to try to make your case, are you talking about Ben Boulware?
Yes Ben Boulware who ran 4.9 at the pro day. Also skalsi (spelling?) wasnt exactly heavily recruited and he did well because of the dline. Our current linebackers are faster and more athletic than both of them

Advertisement
No greater position of need than LB! I would love the luxury of being able to prioritize the line but given the current position group, LB all day long. But they are not mutually exclusive and hopefully both commit to the good guys…along with some shut down CBs.
Prioritizing the line is never a luxury tho..that’s a Must. All those things can be true at the same time. We need impact Linebackers in this defense and we need to be better up front...Wes is priority 1 because he’s without question the best player in dade this cycle. He’s been one of the best since his Soph year at Central. We’ve been on him for 4 years. Even when he was playing with that “knuckle head” who went to Maryland Wes was probably the best LB on that squad even tho he’s rated lower. You ask ppl who follow the HS circuit in Dade and he’s the kid

Yes Ben Boulware who ran 4.9 at the pro day. Also skalsi (spelling?) wasnt exactly heavily recruited and he did well because of the dline. Our current linebackers are faster and more athletic than both of them
The slow, unathletic white linebacker that was first team All-ACC, Defensive MVP of the National Championship game and had 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 INTs and 15 tackles for loss in his Sr year? THAT ONE?????

LMAO, he would have been far and away our best LBer last year, I don't care if you have 3 Warren Sapp's and a Cortez Kennedy in front of you that kid could play CFB far better than anything we had, no comparison.

WOW

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you putting that all in LB I’ll say that slightly skewed. The Dline has to be much better
Linebacker play was atrocious last year but the D line was ridiculously undisciplined, even for a Manny Diaz team. The basis of the defense is getting the D line upfield to create tackles for loss and pressure on the quarterback so I get that gap responsibility will sometimes get put on the back burner but last year was a joke. Everyone just blindly running upfield leaving way too much responsibility on the linebackers who didn't know what they were doing. I'm a big fan of bringing back Jess Simpson. He coaches D line, not just how to rush the passer. It's no coincidence that 2018 was their best season defensively. I think we'll be much more disciplined this year.

Advertisement
Do I think Wesley is a must get?? Absolutely.... But... I will say this and I've brought this up on a few of the Youtube channels out there - When has Manny in his entire career as a Coach at any level produced or recruited a top flight LB???
Don't get me wrong... I really hope Manny and crew can pull him in and make him a star but in just talking about Manny's time at the U , going into his sixth year, we've done nothing with the LB position... We never recruited solid depth behind Shaq , Pickney and Youknowho...
With who we have recruited we've done practically nothing in making them better... I mean like I just said we're going into year 6 with Manny and instead of having game ready LB's we're looking at converting safeties to fill the void....
Things need to change to really be able to compete..... Getting Wesley would be a huge step forward , developing him into the LB we all want to see him become would be a game changer for future recruits...

Do I think Wesley is a must get?? Absolutely.... But... I will say this and I've brought this up on a few of the Youtube channels out there - When has Manny in his entire career as a Coach at any level produced or recruited a top flight LB???
Don't get me wrong... I really hope Manny and crew can pull him in and make him a star but in just talking about Manny's time at the U , going into his sixth year, we've done nothing with the LB position... We never recruited solid depth behind Shaq , Pickney and Youknowho...
With who we have recruited we've done practically nothing in making them better... I mean like I just said we're going into year 6 with Manny and instead of having game ready LB's we're looing at converting safeties to fill the void....
Things need to change to really be able to compete..... Getting Wesley would be a huge step forward , developing him into the LB we all want to see him become would be a game changer for future recruits...
Good post, agree, can't just get good prospects, have to develop them as well. We have plenty of decent LB "prospects" on the roster already.

The slow, unathletic walk on white linebacker that was first team All-ACC, Defensive MVP of the National Championship game and had 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 INTs and 15 tackles for loss in his Sr year? THAT ONE?????

LMAO, he would have been far and away our best LBer last year, I don't care if you have 3 Warren Sapp's and a Cortez Kennedy in front of you that kid could play CFB far better than anything we had, no comparison.

WOW
Yes you mentioned the stats for his senior year (he only had 7 tackles as a freshman) yet you threw in the bowl for Flagg who is a true freshman.

Linebacker play was atrocious last year but the D line was ridiculously undisciplined, even for a Manny Diaz team. The basis of the defense is getting the D line upfield to create tackles for loss and pressure on the quarterback so I get that gap responsibility will sometimes get put on the back burner but last year was a joke. Everyone just blindly running upfield leaving way too much responsibility on the linebackers who didn't know what they were doing. I'm a big fan of bringing back Jess Simpson. He coaches D line, not just how to rush the passer. It's no coincidence that 2018 was their best season defensively. I think we'll be much more disciplined this year.
Exactly. That Unc game was terrible. 2&15 were freelancing way too much on the edges. Guys getting up field without leveling off etc. Simpson should definitely help keep those guys aggressive but fundamentally sound

Advertisement
The slow, unathletic walk on white linebacker that was first team All-ACC, Defensive MVP of the National Championship game and had 117 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 INTs and 15 tackles for loss in his Sr year? THAT ONE?????

WOW
Again comparing apples to oranges and I think you missed the point.

Boulware was a top 200 player, solid 4star, he wasnt a walk on. And he did those stats as a Senior, comparing him to a freshman Flagg is unfair. The point OP I think (albeit maybe doing a poor job of explaining) is Boulware ran a 4.9 and was not fast. Flagg likely runs close to a 4.9. Boulware racked up all those stats you mentioned yet went undrafted, signed with the panthers after the draft and was released before season started, then signed with the 49ers practice squads and was released 7 days later and since then has been out of the NFL. i.e. you dont need to be an NFL lb-er to play at a high level in college.

You can win a championship with average LB play if you have ELITE dline play, that clemson Dline is what OP is underselling, that thing was stacked and allowed him to get those #s. By his senior year, he did have good instincts. Is it truly a stretch to say Flagg could post those numbers in 4 years with a dline like clemsons? Boulware had 20 and 40 tackles his first two years.

Yes you mentioned the stats for his senior year (he only had 7 tackles as a freshman) yet you threw in the bowl for Flagg who is a true freshman.
When Flagg does what Boulware did at Clemson here at Miami holler at me, I will buy you his jersey and mail it to you. I'm still dead at that take on
Boulware you had.

Advertisement
Again comparing apples to oranges and I think you missed the point.

Boulware was a top 200 player, solid 4star, he wasnt a walk on. And he did those stats as a Senior, comparing him to a freshman Flagg is unfair. The point OP I think (albeit maybe doing a poor job of explaining) is Boulware ran a 4.9 and was not fast. Flagg likely runs close to a 4.9. Boulware racked up all those stats you mentioned yet went undrafted, signed with the panthers after the draft and was released before season started, then signed with the 49ers practice squads and was released 7 days later and since then has been out of the NFL. i.e. you dont need to be an NFL lb-er to play at a high level in college.

You can win a championship with average LB play if you have ELITE dline play, that clemson Dline is what OP is underselling, that thing was stacked and allowed him to get those #s. By his senior year, he did have good instincts. Is it truly a stretch to say Flagg could post those numbers in 4 years with a dline like clemsons? Boulware had 20 and 40 tackles his first two years.
Like I said to the other guy when he reaches the level of play that "slow, unathletic Clemson stiff" did let me know, I will send you a Flagg jersey as well. If not you buy me a jersey of my choosing? We on??

/I know, like him you will immediately point to the DL in front of him and dismiss his 117 tackles, All ACC 1st team and NC Defensive MVP awards due to them, save it. I don't care who is in front of you those #s and accolades don't happen for stiffs.

Is football, not one player moves the needle.
Unlike basketball football is about quantity.
You need 20 good recruits every year.

Like I said to the other guy when he reaches the level of play that "slow, unathletic Clemson stiff" did let me know, I will send you a Flagg jersey as well. If not you buy me a jersey of my choosing? We on??
still missing the point my g. Its not that Flagg is going to turn into that player, its that he can turn into that player. No one on here will disagree with you that LB needs help. but writing off a kid who was a TF thrown into the college world with no spring or fall practices along with subpar DT play is unfair. Yes our DE were all class first rounders, but there were multiple times they sprinted up field and ran themselves out of a play and the OL would get free runs at our LB'ers, it was an all around recipe for disaster.

Kid may very well have a Zion type year 2 bump.

Edited after I saw your comment about you "knowing" I will dismiss his stats. I am not, in fact I used his stats and the fact he didn't even have a cup of coffee in the NFL to show he did not have what it takes to be an NFL LB'er and we dont need an NFL LB'er we need a college LB'er, I would take a college Boulware all day.

still missing the point my g. Its not that Flagg is going to turn into that player, its that he can turn into that player. No one on here will disagree with you that LB needs help. but writing off a kid who was a TF thrown into the college world with no spring or fall practices along with subpar DT play is unfair. Yes our DE were all class first rounders, but there were multiple times they sprinted up field and ran themselves out of a play and the OL would get free runs at our LB'ers, it was an all around recipe for disaster.

Kid may very well have a Zion type year 2 bump.
I never wrote him off, I said he was unimpressive and slow at diagnosing plays. I then said in the same post he was young and can get better.

I take more issue with his take that Ben Boulware is a stiff when in fact he was a great college MLBer.

And let's be clear, any defense that gives up THIS:
i
North Carolina Rushing
CARYDSTDLONG
M. Carter24308265
J. Williams23236365

needs help EVERYWHERE, but IMO it is weakest at LB followed by CB, those are the NEEDS, and that is why WB is a must get in my book

Advertisement
Back