Is The Defense Better??

That's really the bottom line here. Did we get better today? I posted my thoughts on the hire overall in the original thread. I'm not a huge fan.

BUT, what I think, and what anyone else thinks, means nothing. All that matters is the product on Saturday. So, the only question is, are we better on defense than we were last year? Are we good enough on defense to win the Coastal and give Clemson a game (of course along with the offense and special teams)??

And after sitting here staring at my wall for 30 minutes.....I think the answer might be......yes? I think we improved.

First of all, I've said on this board 1000x that Jimmy's and Joe's >>>>>> X's and O's. We need better players on that side, point blank, period. I think T-Rob helps TREMENDOUSLY with that. I think DVD is a massive upgrade there, obviously. We've got an excellent defensive class coming in. I think the talent is improving, and guys like T-Rob and DVD should be able to continue that. I think Simpson is a very good teacher and underrated recruiter. He's got some seriously strong Georgia ties in the HS world there. So I have no problem with that.

Of course the elephant in the room is Baker. As I said in the other thread, I don't agree that he's still here. For several reasons. BUT....Manny is a proven GOOD defensive coordinator. Do I think he's elite? No...the scheme does have its holes, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But he's got a track record for calling a good defense, and maybe more importantly, he's proven to be able to make adjustments in-game VERY well.

So, take a step back, breathe, and look a little deeper. All of the complaints are valid, IMO. DVD as an on-field coach, Baker, Patke, Manny calling the defense and putting the pressure of the world on himself, not firing his buddy...all of that is valid. But when the dust settles, are we better on that side? There are still a lot of questions (are the edge kids going to develop, who the fvck is gonna step up at backer, for two of them), but I'm trying to find the sun here in what looks to be a gloomy situation and I think there is a path here to putting out a better product on defense. And if not, we'll be looking for a new HC in a year, most likely.

Let's see how it plays out. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes it's better, but I'm not sure by how much. There major structural flaws in the defense and I'm not sure that's fixed just by having Manny call plays. Would have much rather seen him get an independent, well regarded DC with a similar philosophy. I'm not understanding the need to keep Baker around. I'm really surprised by these moves. This is a tremendous gamble for Manny. If it doesn't pay off I could easily see 2021 being his last season.

Advertisement
That's really the bottom line here. Did we get better today? I posted my thoughts on the hire overall in the original thread. I'm not a huge fan.

BUT, what I think, and what anyone else thinks, means nothing. All that matters is the product on Saturday. So, the only question is, are we better on defense than we were last year? Are we good enough on defense to win the Coastal and give Clemson a game (of course along with the offense and special teams)??

And after sitting here staring at my wall for 30 minutes.....I think the answer might be......yes? I think we improved.

First of all, I've said on this board 1000x that Jimmy's and Joe's >>>>>> X's and O's. We need better players on that side, point blank, period. I think T-Rob helps TREMENDOUSLY with that. I think DVD is a massive upgrade there, obviously. We've got an excellent defensive class coming in. I think the talent is improving, and guys like T-Rob and DVD should be able to continue that. I think Simpson is a very good teacher and underrated recruiter. He's got some seriously strong Georgia ties in the HS world there. So I have no problem with that.

Of course the elephant in the room is Baker. As I said in the other thread, I don't agree that he's still here. For several reasons. BUT....Manny is a proven GOOD defensive coordinator. Do I think he's elite? No...the scheme does have its holes, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But he's got a track record for calling a good defense, and maybe more importantly, he's proven to be able to make adjustments in-game VERY well.

So, take a step back, breathe, and look a little deeper. All of the complaints are valid, IMO. DVD as an on-field coach, Baker, Patke, Manny calling the defense and putting the pressure of the world on himself, not firing his buddy...all of that is valid. But when the dust settles, are we better on that side? There are still a lot of questions (are the edge kids going to develop, who the fvck is gonna step up at backer, for two of them), but I'm trying to find the sun here in what looks to be a gloomy situation and I think there is a path here to putting out a better product on defense. And if not, we'll be looking for a new HC in a year, most likely.

Let's see how it plays out. Go Canes.

NO

Yeah, but it's hard not to be. And for anyone touting Manny's success as DC from 16-18, you gotta ask yourself if we have the personnel to replicate that success with his scheme (I'm not convinced we do), or is he willing to adjust his scheme to best suit the talent we do have? Bringing Simpson and T-Rob into the fold help a lot, but there's a pretty huge gap between the defense simply being better than it was last season and being good enough to compete with Clemson. Guess we'll see.

Advertisement
Not sure why, but I'll bite.

Why do you think it won't be any better? Do you have any rational thoughts as to why you feel this way, or is it just cry even though I don't have any original thoughts time again?

what changed? T-Rob is a step up. Rest is the same group. Simpson verse stroud is a wash until I see more years from Simpson. Patke and Baker back. DVD is a green as they come. Diaz calling plays with the same sorry as LB’s and LB coaches. What’s really changed?

Advertisement
Not sure why, but I'll bite.

Why do you think it won't be any better? Do you have any rational thoughts as to why you feel this way, or is it just cry even though I don't have any original thoughts time again?
Because the players he's recruited in the front 7 aren't nearly as good.

We are going to have a massive drop at the End position and have already felt it at tackle. The linebackers are awful.

He'S NEVER been a good DC. The amount of bad qb's we made look good over his tenure is embarrassing.

Good teams will continue to feast and bad teams will continue to have career days.

It's good enough to get us to the ACC championship game.

But expect more of the same any time we come up against a team with a pulse or Top 20 OC.

About the only difference you're going to see is more turnovers and wider margins of victory against the mediocre teams in our division.

The defense is better with Simpson and TRob alone. How much better remains to be seen.
this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Advertisement
Back