Is The Defense Better??

Yes, we are better. But, that's not the question we should be asking ourselves.

Why did we retain a DC who doesn't call plays, can't recruit and coaches the worse performing unit on the team? If Manny wants to play DC then that's on him (for the record I like Manny the DC especially given today's high performing offenses). But, then why didn't he replace Baker with a better LB coach that can also recruit and then reallocate the salary savings to hire additional analysts to better compete against deep pocket programs.

Getting better on defense next year isn't the goal. The objective should be to make program changing decisions so we can succeed long term. These moves improve us defensively next year but we lost the opportunity to fundamentally change the defense for years to come.

That's disappointing.

Advertisement
its going to be just like it was when Manny was dominating as a DC like he did in 2017 vs Clemson and Wisconsin.....oh wait

That's really the bottom line here. Did we get better today? I posted my thoughts on the hire overall in the original thread. I'm not a huge fan.

BUT, what I think, and what anyone else thinks, means nothing. All that matters is the product on Saturday. So, the only question is, are we better on defense than we were last year? Are we good enough on defense to win the Coastal and give Clemson a game (of course along with the offense and special teams)??

And after sitting here staring at my wall for 30 minutes.....I think the answer might be......yes? I think we improved.

First of all, I've said on this board 1000x that Jimmy's and Joe's >>>>>> X's and O's. We need better players on that side, point blank, period. I think T-Rob helps TREMENDOUSLY with that. I think DVD is a massive upgrade there, obviously. We've got an excellent defensive class coming in. I think the talent is improving, and guys like T-Rob and DVD should be able to continue that. I think Simpson is a very good teacher and underrated recruiter. He's got some seriously strong Georgia ties in the HS world there. So I have no problem with that.

Of course the elephant in the room is Baker. As I said in the other thread, I don't agree that he's still here. For several reasons. BUT....Manny is a proven GOOD defensive coordinator. Do I think he's elite? No...the scheme does have its holes, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But he's got a track record for calling a good defense, and maybe more importantly, he's proven to be able to make adjustments in-game VERY well.

So, take a step back, breathe, and look a little deeper. All of the complaints are valid, IMO. DVD as an on-field coach, Baker, Patke, Manny calling the defense and putting the pressure of the world on himself, not firing his buddy...all of that is valid. But when the dust settles, are we better on that side? There are still a lot of questions (are the edge kids going to develop, who the fvck is gonna step up at backer, for two of them), but I'm trying to find the sun here in what looks to be a gloomy situation and I think there is a path here to putting out a better product on defense. And if not, we'll be looking for a new HC in a year, most likely.

Let's see how it plays out. Go Canes.

A rational take. However, the board is only accepting screaming and panic at the moment. Try again later.

The defense is better with Simpson and TRob alone. How much better remains to be seen.
If they can get the dline to play like 2017-2018 I’m in bc this year was atrocious idc what anyone says. The Dline individually was good but as a unit it was bad never setting an edge ****ed me off so much. Now that can just be coaching. Hopefully TRob and Simpson will improve their units so much that it’ll improve the Backer play

Advertisement
Yes it's better, but I'm not sure by how much. There major structural flaws in the defense and I'm not sure that's fixed just by having Manny call plays. Would have much rather seen him get an independent, well regarded DC with a similar philosophy. I'm not understanding the need to keep Baker around. I'm really surprised by these moves. This is a tremendous gamble for Manny. If it doesn't pay off I could easily see 2021 being his last season.
I’ll have to disagree with you on 2021 being his last year, Why? Because he knows Blake isn’t firing him plus he saw first hand Richt takeover play calling duties, and it sucked, and nothing happened to him.
We are stuck with manure for the next 2 years. 7-5 for 2021... #watchtheperformance

I asked the question in a different thread. Will Baker continue to be "GIVEN" 500K as a demoted DC? Asking for a friend. . .

its going to be just like it was when Manny was dominating as a DC like he did in 2017 vs Clemson and Wisconsin.....oh wait

2017 Clemson was 38-3. Yet you think the problem in a game against an offense that averaged 33.3 ppg was the 38 point portion of the score?!

2017 Wisconsin was 34-24. Wisconsin averaged 33.8 ppg. So Diaz's D basically held Wisconsin to their scoring average. Not great but not a catastrophe. Miami should have scored more than 24 if it wanted to win that game.

If a MLB pitcher had 3.00 Era but a 6-7 record, would your first thought be "that guy sucks" or would it be "maybe he wasnt getting a lot of run support?"

Advertisement
We can look forward to the return to dominant Manny defense such as this:

Three drives, three easy TDs for Kelly Bryant. Game over.

This just in: Clemson is better than Miami.

Also, you know what else was easy that night? Jeff Thomas running uncovered through the impenetrable Clemson defense, coached by the Honorable Jesus H. Christ Venables, for a TD. But, yanno, baseball player at QB.

2017 Clemson was 38-3. Yet you think the problem in a game against an offense that averaged 33.3 ppg was the 38 point portion of the score?!

2017 Wisconsin was 34-24. Wisconsin averaged 33.8 ppg. So Diaz's D basically held Wisconsin to their scoring average. Not great but not a catastrophe. Miami should have scored more than 24 if it wanted to win that game.

If a MLB pitcher had 3.00 Era but a 6-7 record, would your first thought be "that guy sucks" or would it be "maybe he wasnt getting a lot of run support?"

dude you are cuban and adore the cuban coach. We get it.

diaz defenses are overrated. He has struggled to stop legit teams his entire career. Get off the mans balls.

diaz defenses are overrated. He has struggled to stop legit teams his entire career. Get off the mans balls.

Huh? What does my heritage have to do with anything? When you lose 38-3 to a team that averages 34 ppg, the defense isn't the issue.

Obviously you seem to have a problem with cuban people. Also fairly obvious that you got banned before and came back with a troll account. Too bad you don't like Cubans- we make really good coffee and have smokin' hot women.

Huh? What does my heritage have to do with anything? When you lose 38-3 to a team that averages 34 ppg, the defense isn't the issue.

Obviously you seem to have a problem with cuban people. Also fairly obvious that you got banned before and came back with a troll account. Too bad you don't like Cubans- we make really good coffee and have smokin' hot women.

you are a manny fan bc of his heritage. He is no better than Golden but you give him the benefit of the doubt.

and i love cuba, its a wonderful place currently, with a great government and people.

Advertisement
The defense is better with Simpson and TRob alone. How much better remains to be seen.
What can Trob do with Manny running his defense that doesnt even value corners? I guess dvd is running that part because Manny wants a yes man like rumph there? He doesnt value it it seems, He came to blows when texas was DBU because the db coach wanted to do something different than manny crap that got everyone fired..

I think trob value is capped when you half the unit with another limited on experience coach like rumph..

WHY WOULD YOU VOMIT MY POST WHEN YOU AREN'T A MANNY FAN! FRAUD ALERT!!! YOU MAKE NO SENSE I GUESS ON PURPOSE! SUCKS TO BE YOU! Like Jerry Seinfeld in the fruit store YOUR BANNED!

Last edited:
Advertisement
In any business, team or program, culture is incredibly important in order to be successful. It’s arguable that culture is significantly more important than talent. Saban, Dabo, Urban understood this concept. They established an environment with high standards that held everyone accountable.

Today, Diaz has solidified his fate at the university of Miami. Not only is he showing how insecure he is my not admitting his Defense is broken but not being able to close a deal with a quality DC because Diaz wants to save his friends.

The fact that Diaz fires staff members for leaking information to the media over having a terrible year (700 yards) on Defense tells me everything I need to know about the culture of this program. This is why he will fail. Another year wasted.

Still have two YES MEN to manny on staff who provide NOTHING in terms of recruiting or coaching

Trob is the best upgrade but everything else is a cluster

Simpson didn’t show anything in terms of recruiting and coaching didn’t leave me anything to feel completely comfortable with in his 1 year either

DVD is a glorified recruiter.... who by all accounts seems to at least GIVE A FUGG better than Rumph at recruiting

Advertisement
Back