Is The Defense Better??

Because the players he's recruited in the front 7 aren't nearly as good.

We are going to have a massive drop at the End position and have already felt it at tackle. The linebackers are awful.

He'S NEVER been a good DC. The amount of bad qb's we made look good over his tenure is embarrassing.

Good teams will continue to feast and bad teams will continue to have career days.

never been a good dc? okay. theres a **** ton Manny isnt good at but at Miami, hes been a good dc.

Advertisement
When I look at the games Manny allegedly took over play calling mid game (VA Tech, NC St & OK St) the defenses looked better. Now without Roche and Phillips who honestly knows. Baker seemed to call games with no rhyme or reason behind the scheme. Blitzing just to say he blitzed or running zone all the **** time. I think Manny combined with Simpson’s coaching will help create more negative plays, which is what this roster construction needs to be successful. But this isn’t a championship move. This is a I’m gonna save my *** move and hope to fix this ish next off season.

Advertisement
Because the players he's recruited in the front 7 aren't nearly as good.

We are going to have a massive drop at the End position and have already felt it at tackle. The linebackers are awful.

He'S NEVER been a good DC. The amount of bad qb's we made look good over his tenure is embarrassing.

Good teams will continue to feast and bad teams will continue to have career days.

Aren't nearly as good as when? Last year? Or 2018? Because I agree with 2018 but they are all the same kids as the ones last year, save Roche and Phillips (and yes, big shoes to fill).

I've said a zillion times, the personnel this year was not very good. Somebody HAS to step up at backer. That position is truly awful.

But to your last point, I love these types of comments. You realize in 2018 Miami was 3rd in the country in YPP allowed, correct? 3rd. So I find it somewhat puzzling that a team can simultaneously give up the 3rd least yards per play AND get absolutely lit up by every single team they play. Good teams will continue to feast, bad teams will have career days, and you'll end the year with the #3 defense. Do you understand how little sense that makes?

Yes it's better, but I'm not sure by how much. There major structural flaws in the defense and I'm not sure that's fixed just by having Manny call plays. Would have much rather seen him get an independent, well regarded DC with a similar philosophy. I'm not understanding the need to keep Baker around. I'm really surprised by these moves. This is a tremendous gamble for Manny. If it doesn't pay off I could easily see 2021 being his last season.
I'm asking you but this is an open question to everyone who has posted the same thought, because I see it commonly stated on the board. What are the "major structural flaws" in Manny's defense? I'm not an X's and O's guru, so this is a legit question. I see a guy whose defense was one of the best in the country for two years, but has also been demolished in certain games. What are the flaws that allow for the wide swings in performance (outside of talent and execution, since we're talking structural)?

I believe Manny is a smart guy who is willing to make changes. I like the idea of him calling the plays. I think keeping DVD on staff was smart because he can learn from T-rob and he can recruit in-person now. I wanted Partridge for our DL but I also think highly of Jess Simpson. Jess can tell the loaded DL class of 2022 that he just spent two years coaching NFL DL which they will listen to.

What doesn't make sense to me is retaining Baker. He was poor at game planning and making adjustments. He couldn't instill any confidence in his players. And the most troubling part is the worst unit on the entire team were the LBs. They were dreadful and Baker was the LB coach. So, if Rumph loses his job how does Baker keep his?

I've been a fan of Miami since the 80's and the 2020 Miami LB unit is the worst coached LB unit I've ever seen at UM.

The defense is better with Simpson and TRob alone. How much better remains to be seen.
The defence is better with Simpson, TRob coaching and Diaz calling plays - if he can get back into the swing of it per 2017.

The fact that Diaz doesn't have the political will / power to fire Baker and Rumph is telling.

DVD is what it is - ideally you'd like him to learn on the job elsewhere, but as we evidently have a coaching position available I guess learning at the feet of TRob isn't the worst thing. We all know TRob won't be here for long.

Advertisement
I'm asking you but this is an open question to everyone who has posted the same thought, because I see it commonly stated on the board. What are the "major structural flaws" in Manny's defense? I'm not an X's and O's guru, so this is a legit question. I see a guy whose defense was one of the best in the country for two years, but has also been demolished in certain games. What are the flaws that allow for the wide swings in performance (outside of talent and execution, since we're talking structural)?
Honestly go check out Lance's recaps. All you can find. We're very often out-leveraged before the snap. We're not aligned well to take away very simple plays. The way we align our safeties pre-snap is often very questionable. We often ask our LBs to do things in coverage they're not well equipped to do. It's not just one or 2 things, it's many things. If it's all Baker then we should see a pretty substantial improvement, but then why keep him around? Manny was into over-blitzing as well when he was DC.

It's way too long for me to post right now but in a very small nutshell, Manny's defense is predicated on TFLs and havoc, and in order to do so, the emphasis is to get upfield as quickly as possible. It leaves you susceptible to being beaten on the edge, and on misdirection.

The defense also traditionally plays press man or trail on the outside, and the middle of the field is often a dead zone.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the defense is designed for the Safeties to be your playmakers. There's a reason the defense looked its best when Quan and Redwine manned those spots. You have to have elite Safety play, and you have to have disciplined edge players. It's got holes, but it's 2021. Check DMoney's post from the other day. Every defense has holes. Manny's philosophy is to get you behind the chains at some point in a drive, forcing you to press and make a mistake, and he can produce a turnover. Which was especially weird last year because that was NOT the defense Baker called. Again, I could write a thesis on this. Too much to really post here.

By default, yes...but the level of improvement remains to be seen. If we continue to experience D lineman stunting 6 yards up the field on run plays while our linebackers run in circles, then nothing has changed.

Advertisement
That's really the bottom line here. Did we get better today? I posted my thoughts on the hire overall in the original thread. I'm not a huge fan.

BUT, what I think, and what anyone else thinks, means nothing. All that matters is the product on Saturday. So, the only question is, are we better on defense than we were last year? Are we good enough on defense to win the Coastal and give Clemson a game (of course along with the offense and special teams)??

And after sitting here staring at my wall for 30 minutes.....I think the answer might be......yes? I think we improved.

First of all, I've said on this board 1000x that Jimmy's and Joe's >>>>>> X's and O's. We need better players on that side, point blank, period. I think T-Rob helps TREMENDOUSLY with that. I think DVD is a massive upgrade there, obviously. We've got an excellent defensive class coming in. I think the talent is improving, and guys like T-Rob and DVD should be able to continue that. I think Simpson is a very good teacher and underrated recruiter. He's got some seriously strong Georgia ties in the HS world there. So I have no problem with that.

Of course the elephant in the room is Baker. As I said in the other thread, I don't agree that he's still here. For several reasons. BUT....Manny is a proven GOOD defensive coordinator. Do I think he's elite? No...the scheme does have its holes, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But he's got a track record for calling a good defense, and maybe more importantly, he's proven to be able to make adjustments in-game VERY well.

So, take a step back, breathe, and look a little deeper. All of the complaints are valid, IMO. DVD as an on-field coach, Baker, Patke, Manny calling the defense and putting the pressure of the world on himself, not firing his buddy...all of that is valid. But when the dust settles, are we better on that side? There are still a lot of questions (are the edge kids going to develop, who the fvck is gonna step up at backer, for two of them), but I'm trying to find the sun here in what looks to be a gloomy situation and I think there is a path here to putting out a better product on defense. And if not, we'll be looking for a new HC in a year, most likely.

Let's see how it plays out. Go Canes.
The only path here that matters is your last sentence Magic. After Diaz dropped the ball here today thats it, he’s all in succeed or fail next year and the odds are against him as he is most likely to fail with tHis scheme and green coaches like dvd or dog crap coaches like Patke and baker. The only sun to find is that after what will most likely be 6-6 without king to save his corching *** Diaz and thank god blake James will be gone. And that for all us long suffering canes fans will be the true sun. Of course god willing the powers that be hire a true football guy to be AD with a plan and autonomy.

That's really the bottom line here. Did we get better today? I posted my thoughts on the hire overall in the original thread. I'm not a huge fan.

BUT, what I think, and what anyone else thinks, means nothing. All that matters is the product on Saturday. So, the only question is, are we better on defense than we were last year? Are we good enough on defense to win the Coastal and give Clemson a game (of course along with the offense and special teams)??

And after sitting here staring at my wall for 30 minutes.....I think the answer might be......yes? I think we improved.

First of all, I've said on this board 1000x that Jimmy's and Joe's >>>>>> X's and O's. We need better players on that side, point blank, period. I think T-Rob helps TREMENDOUSLY with that. I think DVD is a massive upgrade there, obviously. We've got an excellent defensive class coming in. I think the talent is improving, and guys like T-Rob and DVD should be able to continue that. I think Simpson is a very good teacher and underrated recruiter. He's got some seriously strong Georgia ties in the HS world there. So I have no problem with that.

Of course the elephant in the room is Baker. As I said in the other thread, I don't agree that he's still here. For several reasons. BUT....Manny is a proven GOOD defensive coordinator. Do I think he's elite? No...the scheme does have its holes, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But he's got a track record for calling a good defense, and maybe more importantly, he's proven to be able to make adjustments in-game VERY well.

So, take a step back, breathe, and look a little deeper. All of the complaints are valid, IMO. DVD as an on-field coach, Baker, Patke, Manny calling the defense and putting the pressure of the world on himself, not firing his buddy...all of that is valid. But when the dust settles, are we better on that side? There are still a lot of questions (are the edge kids going to develop, who the fvck is gonna step up at backer, for two of them), but I'm trying to find the sun here in what looks to be a gloomy situation and I think there is a path here to putting out a better product on defense. And if not, we'll be looking for a new HC in a year, most likely.

Let's see how it plays out. Go Canes.
The last time we saw Manny calling a defense, he had arguably the best defense in the country that year. What realistic candidate out there would we have gotten that is better than Manny strictly as a DC? Even guys like Strong, Muschamp etc. have gotten their defenses exposed over the years. T-Rob is probably the best DB coach we've had in 20 years. Jess Simpson was great his one year here.

So to your point, we are absolutely better today than yesterday. Of course, the elephant in the room, Baker is still here and I think he was responsible for alot of the issues in recent years. My guess is Manny wants to have someone to do the grunt work during the week so he can be a true HC during that time, someone who's coordinated a defense before and speaks the same language as him.

Advertisement
We have a top not DB coach. A never coached before CB coach. Nobody on the staff who can teach a LB what to do. A Dline coach who cared so much he bailed after one year...and now comes slinking back. An incompetent zombie personality $1M plus DC who is being babysat by a Slip n sliding coddler...who is under a AD who hires on the cheap stubborn head coaches who care less about the program than their buddies. It is a total sheet show. We are not committed to excellence. Manny Golden doesn’t even mention the standard any more because nobody on the staff or admin can uphold it.

Advertisement
Back