Is The Defense Better??

Diaz isn't a NFL caliber dc or coach so no...... The defense will not improve that much. I'm trying to remember when Manny has shut down a legit great offense. I'm not even sure he even goes into any game with a game plan he jujst tries to wing it. I know defenses are at a disadvantage these days so the real question is LaSalle going to evolve or is he just gonna go into every game the same way he approached things this year.

Advertisement
Aren't nearly as good as when? Last year? Or 2018? Because I agree with 2018 but they are all the same kids as the ones last year, save Roche and Phillips (and yes, big shoes to fill).

I've said a zillion times, the personnel this year was not very good. Somebody HAS to step up at backer. That position is truly awful.

But to your last point, I love these types of comments. You realize in 2018 Miami was 3rd in the country in YPP allowed, correct? 3rd. So I find it somewhat puzzling that a team can simultaneously give up the 3rd least yards per play AND get absolutely lit up by every single team they play. Good teams will continue to feast, bad teams will have career days, and you'll end the year with the #3 defense. Do you understand how little sense that makes?

The CB’s will be better, that’s for certain.

I don’t think the DL gets that much better with losing both Phillips & Roche, I think they’ll be solid, but the DL is always pretty good in this scheme because everything is about them getting up the field vertically & racking up TFL’s. DL coaches in this system are interchangeable, the only difference from one to the other on a year to year basis is recruiting. Stroud was a very good recruiter, Jess is still unproven in that area but we’ll see how that goes.

The LB’s will remain the same, why? Because Bake is still LB’s coach, so no improvement there.

Patke is still Strikers/ST’s coach, so I guess his job will be to get Borregales lil brother ready to go & he needs to find a Punt Returner, Malik Curtis should be in the driver’s seat at that spot.

The question is, will Defensive play calling improve? I guess, sure. But what does that mean? Yes Diaz was a pretty good DC at times, but let’s not forget 2016 VA Tech, 2017 Clemson & Wisconsin, 2018 LSU & Clemson were all with him as DC as well. What that shows is that any team we’ve played who had equal or better talent whooped him good, with Bake as DC teams that we were more talented than managed to give us headaches & often times embarrassed us in the 2019 & 2020 seasons.

So basically, we’ll be the same team that gets smacked around vs teams that are good & we should be able to handle the teams that we’re significantly more talented than. How that translates to W’s/L’s is a matter of how often teams figure out our weaknesses on Defense & how committed they are to exploiting it.

Is this a 10 win team on paper? I’d say it can be, but will it be? The odds aren’t in our favor, it will come down to King’s health & how fast he can recover & be at full speed & if he can make it back in time for Fall camp. But idk a guy tears his ACL in December it’s pretty difficult to be back cutting & running full go just 8 months after that, but we’ll see.

The key comment is any team worth a **** destroys him every time. Diaz's only noteworthy defensive performance against a quality opponent was Notre Dame a couple years back. I truly believe the crowd and atmosphere played a huge part in that win.

He's not a good DC. I don't give a f*ck what the numbers say. If holding teams like Duke and Louisiana Tech to minimal points is impressive we should drop down a level.

Hey @DMoney what was our defense ranked against the run in 18 ?? I agree with you but do you think we still need a better LB coach ?

Technically 26th in rushing yards allowed per play. Lots of teams are tied. If you include ties then 9th (in other words, if Miami, FSU, UF all gave up the same 3.6 yards per carry, they aren't ranked 21,22,23, they are all ranked 21). 41st in rushing yards allowed per game. So-so. Looking at those numbers it would seem like Miami was feast or famine. Either they got a TFL (negative yards) or gave up big chunks. That would make sense given the style of the D.

I want to see what influence trob and simpson have on the defense we play. Are we going to take something's that trob did as a dc and implement it into are system? What kind of adjustments we make to the scheme in the off-season. Will the new coaches get us to play with more discipline and focus?

Because the players he's recruited in the front 7 aren't nearly as good.

We are going to have a massive drop at the End position and have already felt it at tackle. The linebackers are awful.

He'S NEVER been a good DC. The amount of bad qb's we made look good over his tenure is embarrassing.

Good teams will continue to feast and bad teams will continue to have career days.
This is far too harsh an assessment on many levels.
Our DT’s will be better next year with the return of 2 grown men in Nesta and Ford, the continued development of Harrison-Hunte and of course the addition of Taylor
The linebackers will be a question mark until 1-2 actually step up and show they can do more than tackle 6 yards downfield
The ends won;t Beas good as Roche and Phillips who were also grown men, but we have good talent at the end position

Manny’s defenses were pretty darn good from 2016-18. The stats and eye test support that.

Advertisement
Who is coaching the CBs?

Rumph and DVD switched places with CB and support staff.

T-Rob former CB/DC at USC is now the DB coach (including CB??)

So now we have 3 coaches with DC experience and two of them share the duties (Diaz/Baker) with T Rob there just in case they both fail. Then T Rob says, DVD you coach the CBs while I’m away and if you need help call Rumph.

I mean...what could go wrong??

Who is coaching the CBs?

Rumph and DVD switched places with CB and support staff.

T-Rob former CB/DC at USC is now the DB coach (including CB??)

So now we have 3 coaches with DC experience and two of them share the duties (Diaz/Baker) with T Rob there just in case they both fail. Then T Rob says, DVD you coach the CBs while I’m away and if you need help call Rumph.

I mean...what could go wrong??

You’re this dense? Honestly? Or you’re just a fan of complaining?

Huh? What does my heritage have to do with anything? When you lose 38-3 to a team that averages 34 ppg, the defense isn't the issue.

Obviously you seem to have a problem with cuban people. Also fairly obvious that you got banned before and came back with a troll account. Too bad you don't like Cubans- we make really good coffee and have smokin' hot women.

I agree the offense was a big problem...but are you suggesting that Manny's defense did.a good job in that game? I mean he let Kelly Bryant go 23 out of 29 and at one point something like 15 straight completions.

Advertisement
Technically 26th in rushing yards allowed per play. Lots of teams are tied. If you include ties then 9th (in other words, if Miami, FSU, UF all gave up the same 3.6 yards per carry, they aren't ranked 21,22,23, they are all ranked 21). 41st in rushing yards allowed per game. So-so. Looking at those numbers it would seem like Miami was feast or famine. Either they got a TFL (negative yards) or gave up big chunks. That would make sense given the style of the D.

UM finished the year ranked 76th in rush defense giving up 174/yds/game, and 79th ranked in rush yards per play at 4.55/yds/play.

Official NCAA Stats: Rushing Defense

As for the original question: I think we'll be better at DB, about the same/maybe a little better at LB (not good) and not as good on the DL.

My expectation is that the defense will perform similarly to this season when we finished as the 51st ranked scoring defense. Maybe a little better. I have no expectation of a substantial improvement.

UM finished the year ranked 76th in rush defense giving up 174/yds/game, and 79th ranked in rush yards per play at 4.55/yds/play.

Official NCAA Stats: Rushing Defense

As for the original question: I think we'll be better at DB, about the same/maybe a little better at LB (not good) and not as good on the DL.

My expectation is that the defense will perform similarly to this season when we finished as the 51st ranked scoring defense. Maybe a little better. I have no expectation of a substantial improvement.
We should be a bit better on the interior DL with returning guys. We should also be better at S with both returning guys and new kids and a new DB coach. If we get better LB play also, and our D could so noticeable improvement. Fixing the middle should help manage the horizontal plays. No guarantee and need DEs and LBs to step up, but I'd guess we'll see some improvement this year and folks will want to crown Manny for it when it's probably more going to be about having fewer weaknesses and a stronger base.

When I look at the games Manny allegedly took over play calling mid game (VA Tech, NC St & OK St) the defenses looked better. Now without Roche and Phillips who honestly knows. Baker seemed to call games with no rhyme or reason behind the scheme. Blitzing just to say he blitzed or running zone all the **** time. I think Manny combined with Simpson’s coaching will help create more negative plays, which is what this roster construction needs to be successful. But this isn’t a championship move. This is a I’m gonna save my *** move and hope to fix this ish next off season.
Roche was a good player. I think we get equivalent production out of Johnson. Expected Harvey to break out in his 3rd year as he will be the guy.

We should be a bit better on the interior DL with returning guys. We should also be better at S with both returning guys and new kids and a new DB coach. If we get better LB play also, and our D could so noticeable improvement. Fixing the middle should help manage the horizontal plays. No guarantee and need DEs and LBs to step up, but I'd guess we'll see some improvement this year and folks will want to crown Manny for it when it's probably more going to be about having fewer weaknesses and a stronger base.
You bring in a legitimate 5-star tackle who plays at the highest level against outstanding competition and he is in your two-deep day 1. Yes, not an easy transition but the kid is going to make an immediate impact.

We were #26 in yards per rushing attempt in 2018 under Simpson.

I expect much better linebacker play.We need a portal linebacker. If it were me I'd start James Williams off at linebacker. The kid can run sideline to sideline. His length makes throwing slants and crossing routes extremely difficult. Day 1 starter.

I am certain safety and corner play improves significantly. I've got to believe Robinson was brought in to fix coverage packages. Stevenson fixes on side of the field. I like Blades and Couch. Tae Williams and Kitchens gives us more athleticism in our both two.

Advertisement
The secondary should be better without question. The DL will be better inside, but the DE play will take a step back - just hoping not too much. All depends on Harvey's development this offseason. Gil and Keontra will be better at Striker, so it comes down to our LB play. Was our area of weakness all last season, and it must be sorely addressed in order for our Defense to return to form.

With the staff changes, TRob and Jess are big upgrades. We will see the results on the field. And if Manny feels his best chances of avoiding the guillotine are entrusting the Defense and play-calling with himself than with taking a gamble with a new DC hire, then so be it. That's his decision, and I can respect it even if I wouldn't make the same decision, myself.

Now with that said, I don't understand why the **** Baker is being kept around. If he's been neutered of play calling duties, then what is his purpose? Feels very unnecessary to keep him around and potentially only create confusion among the players in terms of who to listen to. I'm hoping this is just an interim move to allow Baker time to find a role elsewhere without the indignity of firing him outright. If Manny is going to play the DC role, then keep things clean and simple and get Baker out of there.

The secondary should be better without question. The DL will be better inside, but the DE play will take a step back - just hoping not too much. All depends on Harvey's development this offseason. Gil and Keontra will be better at Striker, so it comes down to our LB play. Was our area of weakness all last season, and it must be sorely addressed in order for our Defense to return to form.

With the staff changes, TRob and Jess are big upgrades. We will see the results on the field. And if Manny feels his best chances of avoiding the guillotine are entrusting the Defense and play-calling with himself than with taking a gamble with a new DC hire, then so be it. That's his decision, and I can respect it even if I wouldn't make the same decision, myself.

Now with that said, I don't understand why the **** Baker is being kept around. If he's been neutered of play calling duties, then what is his purpose? Feels very unnecessary to keep him around and potentially only create confusion among the players in terms of who to listen to. I'm hoping this is just an interim move to allow Baker time to find a role elsewhere without the indignity of firing him outright. If Manny is going to play the DC role, then keep things clean and simple and get Baker out of there.
Don't agree with it but I would expect Baker is kept around to do the grunt work. Coordinate gameplanning and practices. Diaz hlas head coach has too much to do during the week.

Advertisement
We praise the play of Finley and Frierson but then bash Patke at every turn. Weird.
I dont get it, have seen some uninformed fans blame lb play on patke also, maybe some are confused on roles and consider baker dc and patke lb corch when baker is dc/lb and patke is striker and special teams corch (those two spots did well this year, he might be up for a raise, lol)

Don't agree with it but I would expect Baker is kept around to do the grunt work. Coordinate gameplanning and practices. Diaz hlas head coach has too much to do during the week.
Good point.

It’s absurd the University of Miami has come to this where we have Baker’s and Patke’ of the world around to continue their ****** performances while losing the Lockett’s of the world. We are officially Friendship U.

Good point.

It’s absurd the University of Miami has come to this where we have Baker’s and Patke’ of the world around to continue their ****** performances while losing the Lockett’s of the world. We are officially Friendship U.
Head coaches for right or wrong keep around coaches they trust. They sink or swim. Golden kept D'Onofrio around because he was an Al Groh disciple and believe in that aborted version of the 3-4.

I don't understand the love affair with Lockette especially as a defensive assistant. He coached running backs at Oregon State and tight ends at FSU. Marshall hired him as a running backs assistant. Maybe replace Patke as a special team assistant. Not like Lockette landed at a P5 school.

DL
Interior DL should be somewhat better, but we don't have the talent there such as we're losing at DE. So compared to this year's DL, it's a net decline to me.

Simpson is a wild card, but is he much of an improvement over Stroud? I like Simpson, but Stroud was also highly regarded.

The real question with the DL is whether our "everybody pin your ears back and get 7 yds deep into the backfield asap" style play will continue, or will more gap integrity emerge? As has been amply noted, the lack of gap integrity was a huge problem in 2020. That's not the DL coach's call, it's part of Manny's/Baker's scheme.

LB
You caveated with "if we get better LB play" and also noted "no guarantee". I'm not optimistic we'll get better play. I don't see much reason why we should. Same guy is coaching them in the same defensive scheme. And from a personnel perspective we didn't end the season with any LB looking like they're on verge of taking the next step.

From the last two games of 2020 to the first games of 2021 i see no reason to expect any of Jennings, Steed or McCloud (if he even plays the position anymore) to play any better. Similarly, nothing about Flagg, TAC and Huff says to me that they're all of sudden going to start playing much better in Sept/Oct 2021 than they played the last several games in 2020.

My conclusion is I don't see much reason for meaningful improvement out of this group. Additionally, since I expect our DL play to be worse than 2020 it will put even more pressure on this already weak position group.

DB
You and I both expect improvement. TS will help a lot, Couch should be better, Blades and Ivey should be solid at least, and younger guys should get better with another year under their belt and better coaching.

All the guys at S are returning and some top (albeit young) talent might be able to contribute early.

Scheme
I'm in the camp that thinks after 5 years in the ACC other teams have now figured out how to play against Manny's defense. Sure, ACC teams with limited talent and/or no competent QB are ripe for getting run over by our attacking style. But as others have noted at great length, good offenses are now regularly beating this scheme, and better than good offenses are now embarrassing our scheme.

Our sack totals are a bit of a proxy for this. 2020 saw a sack rate of 2.7/pg, which is the lowest since Manny got here and down from 3.7 in 2019. This is in spite of having the two best DE's by far since Manny got here. It's an indication opposing OC's have figured out how to counter our pressure. And the problem with other OC's figuring out how to counter our pressure, is that it leaves us highly vulnerable once an offense play gets downfield.

OC's have figured out how to get the ball past our initial pressure, and that's a huge, huge problem for Manny's scheme.

Whether it's running behind or around our aggressive get-up-the-field, low gap integrity scheme like UNC did, or simply a dump the ball where our guys are blitzing from and/or a short spot passing game like NC State did, teams with competent QB's that don't operate at a significant talent disparity are no longer afraid of Manny's pressure defense and are performing well against us.

I don't see this changing in 2021. There's no reason it should imo no matter how much I might wish otherwise.

That's how I size things up for 2021, and how I come to the belief that things aren't going to much, if any, improved.

There are some things we could have done to improve our prospects for 2021, but we didn't do them. And that's highly disappointing because it's so unnecessary.

Advertisement
Back