Coaching Is Manny Diaz the next Dabo Swinney?

Advertisement
This Dabo stuff is just crazy talk. Swinney's adaptability alone sets him miles apart.

LOL, Dabo ain't adapt to $h!t. Dabo was a position coach that got lucky and backed His way into a head coaching gig. He was just able to not get fired long enough to figure it out. Saban would've won multiple Natties in the time it took Dabo to win 1. They called it "Clemsoning" for a reason, although I think the more apt term is "Daboing".

Manny needs to learn the sign sealing scheme Clemson has in place. That’s the o it way that defense can perform with a bunch of slow white LB’s. They know the play before it happens. But I am starting to think the cats out of the bag on that strategy and teams have figured out how to counter. Clemson defense has taken some serious lumps last season and a half.

Ehhh... This really wasn't always the case. Programs don't build themselves overnight.

Clemson's recruiting rankings in Dabo's first years:
2009 - 36
2010 - 27
2011 - 10
2012 - 20

For what it's worth, Miami out-recruited Clemson 3 of those 4 years.

Manny's classes so far:
2019 - 27
2020 - 17
2021 - 11

Not defending Manny, but Dabo would have been run out of town with his early record & recruiting rankings if he was at Miami.
Good info on the recruiting but that is only one aspect.

Culture, team discipline, scheme, player development, competitiveness.

I went back & looked at all the games played during those first 3 years. There was only one game in which they lost where they weren’t competitive, per the score of the game - Nov. 27, 2010 at home vs #18 South Carolina (29-7).

He had 2 victories vs ranked teams in those 3 years but very competitive in their losses. In year 4 (2011) he had 4 victories alone vs ranked team including back to back to back victories vs ranked Auburn, FSU, VTech.

Manny has 2 victories as well vs ranked teams but he also has 3 straight losses vs Duke, FIU & La Tech. He is not competitive in losses vs ranked teams (except his first game v the Gayturds), no team discipline, crappy scheme, poor recruiting in 6 years at the LB position, CBs except this year, poorly developed players, etc, etc!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah we can trot out meaningless records without looking into the actual games. Because you know losing 50-10 and losing 14-10 are the same thing right. I mean by that logic, shouldn't Al Golden have been Dabo by year 4, his first 3 seasons were 6-6, 7-5 and 9-4 right?

Yall can shut tf up with this bull****. Manny Diaz has improved nothing, absolutely nothing about Miami's play on the field. Each season is worse. We cant tackle and is the most indisciplined team we ever had. Yall bringing up meaningless records mean squat. Btw Shannon first 3 years were almost identical to Dabo.

And by that logic, we should have kept Coker, he went 13-0, 12-1 and 11-2.
Dumbazz

"Is MaNnY dIaZ tHe NexT dAbO sWeEnY?"

Wtf do u think?

U sound like a moron from another fanbase who wants us to keep this dip**** because u know it helps your team's recruiting. Just like when Jimbo was defending Al Golden. He knew how valuable to his team Al Golden was.

And if you're not from another fanbase, you're just as big a dip**** as Manny.

Boys, I’ll keep saying it. The BOT is lurking, they are out here in a full court press trying to sway the public perception. All these Manny lovers coming out the woodwork. At least it means they are feeling the heat.

Advertisement
What you wrote about players not trusting him, believing in him or his coaching is accurate.

I spoke to a player from last years team and that’s exactly - almost word for word - what he and his family told me. That, and they think his coaching is subpar.

Not make believe and I’m not some guy making this up.

Im no insider. Ran into him and his family at a sports bar a Few hours before the Alabama game. Didn’t know him prior to that.
Since you aren’t connected, who was the player?

In his first three years, he went 4-3, 9-5, 6-7.​

Fake news.

Dabo took over a 3-3 Clem$on team mid-season in 2008 and he finished 4-3 as the interim HC. Dabo was interim HC until 12/1/2008 (after beating the Gamecocks). So his first year as HC was 2009 (not 2008). If we are being honest, in Dabo's first 3 full seasons as HC he was 9-5 (2009), 6-7 (2010), and 10-4 (2011). But how he got there is better than Manny...

In 2009, he beat Miami (we were ranked in the top 10 at the time) and Forfeit State.
In 2010, despite a disappointing record, 5 of his 6 regular season losses were by single-digit scores (including an OT loss to NC champs Auburn on the road).
In 2011, he led Clem$on to its first ACC championship in 20 years and was coach of the year (though they did get smoked in the Orange Bowl).

I guess if Manny manages to stick around and somehow wins the ACC this season and gets himself a signature win against a top 10 opponent, we can revisit this.

Fake news.

Dabo took over a 3-3 Clem$on team mid-season in 2008 and he finished 4-3 as the interim HC. Dabo was interim HC until 12/1/2008 (after beating the Gamecocks). So his first year as HC was 2009 (not 2008). If we are being honest, in Dabo's first 3 full seasons as HC he was 9-5 (2009), 6-7 (2010), and 10-4 (2011). But how he got there is better than Manny...

In 2009, he beat Miami (we were ranked in the top 10 at the time) and Forfeit State.
In 2010, despite a disappointing record, 5 of his 6 regular season losses were by single-digit scores (including an OT loss to NC champs Auburn on the road).
In 2011, he led Clem$on to its first ACC championship in 20 years and was coach of the year (though they did get smoked in the Orange Bowl).

I guess if Manny manages to stick around and somehow wins the ACC this season and gets himself a signature win against a top 10 opponent, we can revisit this.

So is this year 3 or 6 for Manny in your opinion. Honestly curious.

Advertisement
Every time Manny has had the opportunity to thrust this program into any sort of relevance he has failed.
Could’ve won the state a few years ago by beating both FSU and UF
Failed
Hiring a quality DC: Fail
Using the portal to get a linebacker: Fail
Clemson game: Fail
Win a bowl game against an average team: Fail
Bama game: Fail
Beat a Michigan state team full of transfers who ran a basic offensive and defensive scheme in 90 weather in high noon: Fail
Blow out app state at home with way more talent in the 2nd stringers than their starters: Fail
Starting the best players: Fail

Winning today will prove nothing unless it’s a legit curb stomping. But op will come in here and act like we’ve turned some kind of corner cause we beat uva by less then a touchdown.
I’ve never in my time as a cane fan actually walked up to the stadium like I do this season. I literally begin to brain storm all the possible ways that manny will Fck up the game. He exceeds my expectations in that weekly.
I saw a possible loss to Michigan state cause of manny. But what I didn’t expect is a total *** kicking.

I try so hard to be optimistic man. I really fckng do. But until we start doing what we’re supposed to be doing with talent we have I’ll just sit back and cheer my team and wait for that long *** walk back to my car.

We should have one loss to a great team and 3 total one sided as whoops. Anyone who says I’m being too optimistic is crazy. The last 3 games are against sht schools. And any team that would be a season away from the playoffs would be handling it’s business.
FOH OP.

OP,

8f2a0526-604c-4823-a29a-0c74f69b3924_text.gif

Advertisement

Is Manny Diaz the next Dabo Swinney?

The canes are 2-2 with victories against Appalachian State and Central Connecticut State and losses to Alabama and Michigan State. We have the same records are Clemson, which has wins against Georgia Tech and South Carolina State and losses to Georgia and NC State. Similar wins and losses for both teams.

A disillusioned, fervent, and mostly lunatic Miami fan base who expects the Canes to be undefeated and competing for a national championship after Manny Diaz’s third year as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Let’s get rid of the guy that bleeds orange and green when he is at the precipice of greatness at Miami. Let’s do it, just because we are Miami.

Let’s ignore the fact that Mark Ritch abandoned us as he ended his fourth year at Miami with a 7-6 record and a loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl. Why did he leave? Could it be because he recruited the juniors and seniors in the 2021 team? Did he recruit the wrong guys? After all, we did get blown again, could not compete, in the ACC Championship game a year earlier against Dabo Swinney. Ritch’s honeymoon was over in Miami, and he knew it.

Before we make Manny’s life impossible, before we run off the guy that gives us the best chance to make Miami relevant again, let’s look at Dabo Swinney’s career as the head coach of the Clemson Tigers. In his first three years, he went 4-3, 9-5, 6-7. Yes, the coach that has won two national championships started his career with a record similar to Manny Diaz. Dabo thought he was going to get fired after the loss to Steve Spurriers South Carolina Gamecocks in the 2010 season in the meeting he had with the Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips. It wasn’t until 2011 that Clemson was able to achieve a 10-win regular season, which subsequently ended in a devastating 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. If Dabo was our coach, he might have not lasted with a 13-8 record through his first two years.

Miami and their fans need to stick with Manny Diaz because he can be the next Dabo Swinney that can guide the Miami program to the pinnacle of college football, going toe-to-toe against the likes of Alabama and Ohio State.

Dang, Manny. Take a knee!

So is this year 3 or 6 for Manny in your opinion. Honestly curious.

It depends. If we are talking strictly defense, I'm calling it year 6. If we are talking overall (or offensive issues), it's year 3.

For instance, if we're giving Manny **** for our putrid offensive line play, I'm going to say it's year 3 for Manny to solve that issue.
If we are talking about our inability to recruit quality LBs and ****-poor tackling, I'm going to say it's year 6 for Manny on that one.

Is Manny Diaz the next Dabo Swinney?

The canes are 2-2 with victories against Appalachian State and Central Connecticut State and losses to Alabama and Michigan State. We have the same records are Clemson, which has wins against Georgia Tech and South Carolina State and losses to Georgia and NC State. Similar wins and losses for both teams.

A disillusioned, fervent, and mostly lunatic Miami fan base who expects the Canes to be undefeated and competing for a national championship after Manny Diaz’s third year as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Let’s get rid of the guy that bleeds orange and green when he is at the precipice of greatness at Miami. Let’s do it, just because we are Miami.

Let’s ignore the fact that Mark Ritch abandoned us as he ended his fourth year at Miami with a 7-6 record and a loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl. Why did he leave? Could it be because he recruited the juniors and seniors in the 2021 team? Did he recruit the wrong guys? After all, we did get blown again, could not compete, in the ACC Championship game a year earlier against Dabo Swinney. Ritch’s honeymoon was over in Miami, and he knew it.

Before we make Manny’s life impossible, before we run off the guy that gives us the best chance to make Miami relevant again, let’s look at Dabo Swinney’s career as the head coach of the Clemson Tigers. In his first three years, he went 4-3, 9-5, 6-7. Yes, the coach that has won two national championships started his career with a record similar to Manny Diaz. Dabo thought he was going to get fired after the loss to Steve Spurriers South Carolina Gamecocks in the 2010 season in the meeting he had with the Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips. It wasn’t until 2011 that Clemson was able to achieve a 10-win regular season, which subsequently ended in a devastating 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. If Dabo was our coach, he might have not lasted with a 13-8 record through his first two years.

Miami and their fans need to stick with Manny Diaz because he can be the next Dabo Swinney that can guide the Miami program to the pinnacle of college football, going toe-to-toe against the likes of Alabama and Ohio State.
Did you consider that CMR likely left because he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease and figured to make the most of his life with the time that he had left of being active and able? And to insinuate that he abandoned this team after what he accomplished for the U is ridiculous.

The Administration are the people that chose Manny as a rushed stop gap decision. The fan base gave him an opportunity, and gave him some more after his first losses, and then he lost to FIU & Duke (among many more) and the fan base continued to support the team while questioning him. We are here two years later and the same spin is being shoved in our faces. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

And you think you are the first person to spew this Dabo comparison? He is not Dabo! Let’s move on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back