Coaching Is Manny Diaz the next Dabo Swinney?

You have to look beyond W/L record.

Dabo's teams were often over-matched, but they weren't unsound. We are.

Look at team's like Wake Forrest. They're never going to win recruiting awards, but they block, tackle, catch and seldom commit bonehead penalties. Schematically, they are very sound. You have to win your reps to beat them, and they always find the easy money on offense.

His team gave up 70 to West Virginia and at the end of his third season.

Advertisement

Is Manny Diaz the next Dabo Swinney?

The canes are 2-2 with victories against Appalachian State and Central Connecticut State and losses to Alabama and Michigan State. We have the same records are Clemson, which has wins against Georgia Tech and South Carolina State and losses to Georgia and NC State. Similar wins and losses for both teams.

A disillusioned, fervent, and mostly lunatic Miami fan base who expects the Canes to be undefeated and competing for a national championship after Manny Diaz’s third year as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Let’s get rid of the guy that bleeds orange and green when he is at the precipice of greatness at Miami. Let’s do it, just because we are Miami.

Let’s ignore the fact that Mark Ritch abandoned us as he ended his fourth year at Miami with a 7-6 record and a loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl. Why did he leave? Could it be because he recruited the juniors and seniors in the 2021 team? Did he recruit the wrong guys? After all, we did get blown again, could not compete, in the ACC Championship game a year earlier against Dabo Swinney. Ritch’s honeymoon was over in Miami, and he knew it.

Before we make Manny’s life impossible, before we run off the guy that gives us the best chance to make Miami relevant again, let’s look at Dabo Swinney’s career as the head coach of the Clemson Tigers. In his first three years, he went 4-3, 9-5, 6-7. Yes, the coach that has won two national championships started his career with a record similar to Manny Diaz. Dabo thought he was going to get fired after the loss to Steve Spurriers South Carolina Gamecocks in the 2010 season in the meeting he had with the Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips. It wasn’t until 2011 that Clemson was able to achieve a 10-win regular season, which subsequently ended in a devastating 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. If Dabo was our coach, he might have not lasted with a 13-8 record through his first two years.

Miami and their fans need to stick with Manny Diaz because he can be the next Dabo Swinney that can guide the Miami program to the pinnacle of college football, going toe-to-toe against the likes of Alabama and Ohio State.
Not falling for it!!
80S Vhs GIF

UVA has 2 ACC losses, they will be out for our blood. OTOH, do you think Mario will be watching and waiting for the phone to ring if we lose?
Nope. I’m sure Mario’s out recruiting. But I’m also sure he has the espn app on his phone..look, I think this mario hysteria is equivalent to the Jon gruden hype from years prior..I think Mario is a pipe dream for various reasons

Advertisement
His team gave up 70 to West Virginia and at the end of his third season.

Yes, they imploded there, but I don't recall them losing to FIU, we can always find A game to go back and forth over. The bottom line is, that MSU tape is the among the worst any UM team has put out, it's absolutely disgraceful.

Not really, Clemson has always had SEC like teams, the key was hiring good coordinators.
Uh, no they haven't. They were the epitome of an ACC team in all the wrong ways until he fixed it. They had minute success recruiting nationally. SEC teams have been a talent magnet for a long time.

This Dabo stuff is just crazy talk. Swinney's adaptability alone sets him miles apart. I have yet to see a Manny team look any different than they did the prior week. Same **** every week, especially on defense. Sell out, sell out, sell out for a TFL. The only QB I have seen his defenses wrangle were Bryce Perkins (trash) or some sorry SOB standing behind FSU's OL.

Bad coaches pretty much always fire themselves. Manny will get as much opportunity as he earns. Its true at Miami our leash is pretty short but all he has to do is match his win total from last year and Manny will be given another chance to be the next Dabo. If he can't do that with team he has he will have gotten himself fired.

I am willing to listen to the argument, I think it’s ridiculous if we don’t. But looking solely at the win-loss tecord doesn’t tell the whole story.

Defence: he advocates, promotes, coordinates and “teaches” a defensive system that has been called gimmicky and unsound. The tape supports that, unless he has killers on the d line and at safety.

Development: this is his biggest flaw. Very few players have developed, despite their ranking.and our best players have been transfers.

Culture: the boats and rings and being “all Miami” has run its course. Players don’t fully trust him, or believe in him and that is the biggest indictment there is.

Say what you will about Clemson but Dabo did more with less initially, he did eventually develop a winning culture, and they obviously made the right decision to keep him.

One of the hardest things to do for any club in any sport is determine, does this coach have it or not? Will more time get better results? Some throughout history have been given the hook too early, some have been retained too long. He needs to get results and fast. Because Manny is struggling with the “other stuff”.
What you wrote about players not trusting him, believing in him or his coaching is accurate.

I spoke to a player from last years team and that’s exactly - almost word for word - what he and his family told me. That, and they think his coaching is subpar.

Not make believe and I’m not some guy making this up.

Im no insider. Ran into him and his family at a sports bar a Few hours before the Alabama game. Didn’t know him prior to that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OP’s post is a major stretch but no one can deny having a QB worthy of the overall top pick in the draft can cover up a lot of average coaching.

See Miles, Dabo, Dumbo, Orgeron and Chizik.

Major stretch? OP's post stretched the space-time continuum lol

Dabo wouldn’t be coaching at Clemson if Bob Stoops didn’t think his brother was as good as a DC as Veneables. Also getting Watson and Lawrence helps. Manny has none of those going for him. He’s a bum DC, his QBs are ok, possibly even good. Not generational like Watson and Lawrence.

Advertisement

The canes are 2-2 with victories against Appalachian State and Central Connecticut State and losses to Alabama and Michigan State. We have the same records are Clemson, which has wins against Georgia Tech and South Carolina State and losses to Georgia and NC State. Similar wins and losses for both teams.

A disillusioned, fervent, and mostly lunatic Miami fan base who expects the Canes to be undefeated and competing for a national championship after Manny Diaz’s third year as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Let’s get rid of the guy that bleeds orange and green when he is at the precipice of greatness at Miami. Let’s do it, just because we are Miami.

Let’s ignore the fact that Mark Ritch abandoned us as he ended his fourth year at Miami with a 7-6 record and a loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl. Why did he leave? Could it be because he recruited the juniors and seniors in the 2021 team? Did he recruit the wrong guys? After all, we did get blown again, could not compete, in the ACC Championship game a year earlier against Dabo Swinney. Ritch’s honeymoon was over in Miami, and he knew it.

Before we make Manny’s life impossible, before we run off the guy that gives us the best chance to make Miami relevant again, let’s look at Dabo Swinney’s career as the head coach of the Clemson Tigers. In his first three years, he went 4-3, 9-5, 6-7. Yes, the coach that has won two national championships started his career with a record similar to Manny Diaz. Dabo thought he was going to get fired after the loss to Steve Spurriers South Carolina Gamecocks in the 2010 season in the meeting he had with the Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips. It wasn’t until 2011 that Clemson was able to achieve a 10-win regular season, which subsequently ended in a devastating 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. If Dabo was our coach, he might have not lasted with a 13-8 record through his first two years.

Miami and their fans need to stick with Manny Diaz because he can be the next Dabo Swinney that can guide the Miami program to the pinnacle of college football, going toe-to-toe against the likes of Alabama and Ohio State.

There was no doubt that you were going to get ripped for this post, although you are correct. It has been known that we have one of the worst fan bases in the country. It sucks, and just like everyone else in society these days, no one wants accountability. However...the roster we have right now is one of the most talented that we have had in years, I mean YEARS! We should not have lost that Mich St game no matter what, that team was not as good as ours.

If these guys will not play for Manny, who will they play for? I get it, and I also understand that we still have a great chance to win the ACC. I just do not see how his defense is going to fix the gaping holes in our secondary, with T-Rob and his tendencies. I do not see how our o-line is going to get any better regardless of the amount of experience we have there (BTW Clemson has the exact same problem, their o-line was bad last year, and its bad this year, they just had Sunshine). We tackle like **** and that wont change because of Manny's ***** *** way of running practices. This dude said he wants practices to be harder than games, but that is clearly not the case. We lose guys to injury in games...definitely not happening in practice. I mean, I am not saying that I want to lose guys to injury, period, I am just saying that if you want to practice like a *****, than you will take a beating like a *****.

...and regardless of how ****** our fans are, we deserve better. The program deserves better!

Manny is that you?

Advertisement
the roster we have right now is one of the most talented that we have had in years, I mean YEARS!
Not buying what you selling, Cane brotha

We are way short on playmakers at the skill positions.

The LB's and DB's collectively are slow AF.

All that preseason hype 😏 ... and yet this OL (once again) would be mediocre at the C-USA level -- much less "good" as one would anticipate from a program with Top 20 aspirations.

The culture is rotten right now -- and the players themselves are by and large neither talented enough nor tough enough to overcome the disarray.

Advertisement
Back