Is it play-calling or concepts/system?....

It's clear to me that until UM gets the O-line that Richt wants, what he runs will always struggle a bit because for the time being they can't create consistent running lanes.

Or maybe it'll steadily improve either way with the new freshman QB?

We dont need the best playcaller in all of football to do great things here, IMO. As people have said,...receivers have been open.

He doesn't need to "out-think" a kid he wasn't comfortable enough to start day 1 this year to begin with.

Advertisement
Here's why I'm gathering from most of this board.

Camp A: The O-line sucks and until it doesn't the offense will look bad.
Camp B: The O-line isn't that bad and if w called different plays we could scheme around their weaknesses.
Camp C: We'll never have a dominant O-line, so we might as well change the whole system to fit what we have.

My thing is, and it's really why I don't argue schemes/or systems as I believe it is a matter of preference, nobody is asking for a dominant o-line. I don't need guys who flat out dominate their opponent on every play like Bama. I need guards who when asked to pull, actually hit somebody--preferably their assigned defender. I need tackles who know when to block down and when to release to the second level, and guards who can functionally pass off a stunting DT to the tackles and vice versa.

Look at the LSU tape. Our o-line was absolutely dominated, but they weren't dominated physically. We killed ourselves in that game. Our guys either didn't know where they were supposed to be, or were too slow to get there. There were few plays where we just got blown off the ball.

Now, again, I'm not a big fan of one system over the other, but my question to those who are big fans of different schemes is this: How in the **** are you going to run an option behind a line that can't consistently pull off a trap block or too often completely blow their assignments when pull blocking? How in the **** are we going to get JT more touches "in space" with an o-line who's only good for about a 2 second pocket unless he's the first read on every play? And if JT is the first read on every pass, how the **** is that not predictable? How the **** can we run more jet sweeps and bubble screens when our opponents' DE's are consistently 3 yards in our backfield?

It's sad to say, but right now I believe the things we are bad at would kill any system of scheme. I'm not defending Richt's OC abilities or his system, but I'm asking how would the things that are causing us issues now not cause us issues in any system? We struggle to pull of a simple R/O Inside give. We struggle to protect the QB long enough to do much other than chuck it deep on a vert or dump it off short to the check. We can't run RB routes because they have to be kept in pass pro. We are having to ask true freshmen TEs to chip some of the best DEs in the game.

I just don't get how changing the plays fixes what's wrong at this point. I think most fans want to believe that we should be better than we are, and when we're not they need to invent reasons why. We're not playing the best players. Our coaches have an internal bias that rewards upperclassmen over underclassmen--even though they didn't even recruit most of the upperclassmen and hand selected the underclassmen. We're stubborn. Vanilla. Predictable. Why? Because we ran the ball on two consecutive first downs? News flash! 89% of first down plays are runs. Not us. Everybody. Getting 3 yards or more on 1st and 10 is the most important play in football, and the teams that can do it most consistently win championships. Call it old hat football all you want, but the teams that win championships run the football on 1st down.

This system isn’t all that bad, i think the only thing that it needs is creativity and motion imo, the route combos arent bad and the playcalling isn’t that bad either, it is really focused on individual match ups which we have the talent at wideout for but not so much the OL

Cleveland Gary in 88 was awesome, such a great outlet and yeah, it set up other stuff downfield. Steven's system also had our backs running patterns in the seams putting pressure on all levels of the defense.

Stevens was great
Stevens also used a split back formation that I absolutely loved!. Would love to see Homer and Dallas out of a split back formation. To me the most frustrating part of watching our offense is that there are literally so many different formations and groupings we could use to attack defenses and get the most out of our skill talent.

All of the above.

I don’t believe the OL is up to Richt’s expectations. Much of his power running game is not going to work against good defenses. He finally has a QB that can make all the throws and make plays with his legs. Richt abhors turnovers to the extent he won’t call certain plays he doesn’t believe his QB can make. And, Richt does get conservative, for its own sake.

I think as Perry matures we’ll see an improved offense.

Advertisement
Our offensive issues are rooted in play calling and oline. Richt is calling plays as if 12 is playing. In every big game Richt has shown us new elements to his offense but doesn’t go back to them often. Also we don’t need to stay in shotgun all game. It’s ok to go from shotgun to singleback, iform, or wildcat. We can run the same concepts in different formations. I don’t get the subbing of oline too. All that subbing leads to inconsistency. With all that said I believe Richt will adjust!!

When your center (Linder and Gauthier since Richt have been here) get blown off the ball nearly every snap its impossible to get the run game going. We haven't had a legit LT since Richt got here... blame Golden, blame Richt, blame Searles idk but we haven't had it. Year 1 was way too many penalties and Darling was bad at LT, McDermott and Linder were on the ground nearly every play. Isidora was a very good guard. RT was shaky.

Year 2 was about the same as year 1, less penalties but weaker guard play, and an inconsistent LT.

Year 3 has been decent as far as penalties (outside of game 1). Guard play has been abysmal outside of Boulware and occasionally when Donaldson is at Guard. Scaife is the answer for RT. Still no LT.

Against LSU, guys were running wide open all day and Malik couldn't hit them if he had a clean pocket and other times he was hit before he had a chance to get a ball out. I blame OL for that. That was against a very good secondary. I haven't seen us get that open in any other game this year.

The scheme (or just Richt's play calls in general) calls for a ton of contested 50/50 throws, I hate that. The run game is very bland and I hate that. I would like to see more innovation in the run game, mainly off tackle runs vs right up the gut and start using some wildcat or sweeps to generate those 1st and 2nd down yardage instead of relying on push from the OL to generate anything. Then, I would like to see more easy throws (bubble screens, quick slants, HB screens, stop routes, sit routes, etc. I just see too many NFL throws (4 verts, opposite hash, deep outs, etc)

Going more into scheme as well, get some motion, i.e. jet sweeps with Thomas or Harley. We can run PA off those, or runs to the backs as well. Thomas has got the ball on one sweep and I think it went for 17-18 yds. We need to get defenses moving pre-snap to help the OL, and it can help Perry diagnose man or zone coverage.

There’s no easy throws. No eye candy for any defense. We give defenses such a simple job. We don’t try to create any confusion for a defense. As others have said, many lesser talented teams put a better product on the field. It’s a shame what we run on offense

Going more into scheme as well, get some motion, i.e. jet sweeps with Thomas or Harley. We can run PA off those, or runs to the backs as well. Thomas has got the ball on one sweep and I think it went for 17-18 yds. We need to get defenses moving pre-snap to help the OL, and it can help Perry diagnose man or zone coverage.

I agree about the motion but I've just almost given up on it at this point. The most motion we've gotten in 3 years is Brevin Jordan last week. It worked so maybe we see some more. Richt just seems to want to over simplify things. Never thought I would be mad about that.

Advertisement
There’s no easy throws. No eye candy for any defense. We give defenses such a simple job. We don’t try to create any confusion for a defense. As others have said, many lesser talented teams put a better product on the field. It’s a shame what we run on offense
Huge difference between no easy throws built within the concepts and or trigger man, whoever it was, not taking the easy throws. the easy throws are there, but are covered or we are taking deep shots. However the routes are there.

Richt gets a little hard headed with the run. I understand why he does it but sometimes it just doesn't work that well.

Every since year one, I feel like when we needed points desperately he finally starts to throw down field consistently and it works. For some reason he waits til we are in desperate need like FSU last week. One game that comes to mind is @ND with Kaaya. We had to throw or we were going to get smashed. Once we did, we almost won the **** game down 3 scores. Another is UVA last year.

Bottom line. Trust your QB and WR's more.

I agree about the motion but I've just almost given up on it at this point. The most motion we've gotten in 3 years is Brevin Jordan last week. It worked so maybe we see some more. Richt just seems to want to over simplify things. Never thought I would be mad about that.

I agree with you, my dream would be how Matt Canada used pre-snap motion when he was at Pitt. Gets your offense in optimal position to take advantage of match-ups and also helps QB reading pre-snap defensive alignments.

But I agree with you that we will likely see little of it used moving forward.

I agree with you, my dream would be how Matt Canada used pre-snap motion when he was at Pitt. Gets your offense in optimal position to take advantage of match-ups and also helps QB reading pre-snap defensive alignments.

But I agree with you that we will likely see little of it used moving forward.

Canada just uses too much for me lol I'd like to see something in the middle of the 2

Advertisement
It's both play calling and concept/system. I don't even think richt knows what his offensive philosophy is. There's nothing innovative or dynamic about what he does. Way to easy to game plan for his offense especially against good teams/ coaches as a whole.

My thing with Richt's play calling is how obvious it is. I wish we would replace some of those unbelievably obvious run calls on 1st down with some bubble throws. Does Richt understand that bubble screens in today's game is considered some what of a running game? Not only that but it spreads the defense out so you can come back to those inside running plays later. Not to mention, we block really well as a WR group. Instead, Richt decides to just run the same stretch run play out of the same formation. We do NOTHING to get the defense on their heels or thinking. We play no mind games which isn't going to produce a high octane offense or even a above average offense in 2018.

I wish Richt would use more under the center power formations like we thought he would when we came to Miami. I want to see more 2016 stuff, more I Formation, play actions from under center, some of that stuff we were doing with Kaaya, etc. Mix up some of these formations when we run the ball. We run the ball out of the same formation every game. We also never do the 'P' in "RPO". I know people don't like Kaaya but he ran this offense the best he just couldn't run and lacked pocket awareness. I'm tried of hearing how our young QBs are taking a while to learn the offense but when I watch this offense it is about as basic as all ****.

You know how Richt can incorporate some motion? He could run the same plays but just come out in a different formation. example: Let's say Richt has a play that is really for a 2x2 formation Richt come set up the formation as a early 3x1 look then motion the WR into a 2x2 look and it would also help see if the defense is in man or zone so the QB knows where to go with the ball.

Wait, does Richt even do check with me? (In case you don't know what check with me means. It kind of system that gives play callers more control of the audible and offense) Example: A coach would call a play but around 16-17 or so on the play clock the offense would check with the sideline to see if they need to audible to something else because of a look they're getting instead of giving all of that responsible to a QB which is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE reason why so many young QBs play now a days.

That's just basic stuff that is done in 2018 and I wish Richt would incorporate these things into his system it would give him more control and make it more easy for the offense especially the QB.

Also Searels ain't it. In case you don't know Searels was the OL coach of that 2014 VT team. Yea, the same VT team we dominated in the trenches with Wefense in blacksburg.

Richt thinks as long as you execute, his plays will work. He doesn't look to outsmart anyone or fool anyone. That is not going to change. We will have this conversation likely every week that he is the coach. Sooner you guys accept it the better

Advertisement
Richts offense requires a good offensive line and a QB who can throw with rhythm and anticipation we have had neither since he has been here. Aaron murray didnt set SEC records by accident this offense can be dominate with the right guys up front and the right qb behind center

Advertisement
Back