IPF - 1.2M remains to fund

Capping off University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala’s last commencement ceremony on May 9, Stuart Miller, chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and of the UM Miller School of Medicine Momentum2 campaign, announced a “breakthrough” gift of $55 million. The gift from longtime UM supporters, the Miller family, was greeted with cheers by the medical school graduates, faculty, families, and friends and lifted the University over its $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami goal, a stunning accomplishment that occurred more than a year ahead of schedule.

The Miller family’s $55 million gift will provide $50 million to build a new state-of-the-art medical education building on the campus of the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, which surpassed its school-based $1 billion fundraising goal. An additional $5 million will support the Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music.

Combined with the $1.4 billion raised during the first Momentum campaign, President Shalala, who is stepping down at the end of the academic year, has raised more than $3 billion during a stellar 14-year term as president.

The Momentum 2 campaign was for the academic side of the University which is its primary function and mission.

"Supporters of the University of Miami and the Momentum2 campaign range from dedicated philanthropists who have provided steady and generous support over many years to recent graduates just starting out in their careers. Some are longtime staff members, parents of current students, members of the local community, and/or among UM’s more than 157,000 living alumni. In addition, supporters include foundations, businesses, and other enterprises whose missions complement those of the University."

"The campaign achieves this remarkable milestone as the University continues to ride a crest of major achievements during the past years. For the fourth year in a row, UM has ranked in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Colleges issue. UM is once again the highest-ranked school in Florida. For more information on the University of Miami’s Momentum2 campaign, visit www.miami.edu/momentum2 ."

If you were posting this to show that the University can raise money. Of course it can. The University wants to be a 1st class academic institution. So, as a private University It's always seeking funds. So ...Good info to know.

Now the University is asking donors for help to complete the IPF for the football program. It's no different. It's up to the fans of that program to help IF you want the football program to be 1st class. Just like the "fans" of those academic programs that Momentum 2 helped did.

I really don't see why some are so shook up. IF you 're a fan and you want Miami to be successful in the future, Great!!! give what you can......if not, stop complaining about something that you want no part of.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just gave a second donation to IPF fund.

To me it's a no-brainer. UM's endowment helped pay for my academic scholarship which saved me and my family roughly $70K in undergraduate cost and allowed me to go to my dream school. Combine that with improved production on the field and I'm more than happy to give back.

And I HATE giving money away...

Random question. How long does it take the Hurricane club to send you more info after you join and donate?

Advertisement
The Momentum 2 campaign was for the academic side of the University which is its primary function and mission.

"Supporters of the University of Miami and the Momentum2 campaign range from dedicated philanthropists who have provided steady and generous support over many years to recent graduates just starting out in their careers. Some are longtime staff members, parents of current students, members of the local community, and/or among UM’s more than 157,000 living alumni. In addition, supporters include foundations, businesses, and other enterprises whose missions complement those of the University."

"The campaign achieves this remarkable milestone as the University continues to ride a crest of major achievements during the past years. For the fourth year in a row, UM has ranked in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Colleges issue. UM is once again the highest-ranked school in Florida. For more information on the University of Miami’s Momentum2 campaign, visit www.miami.edu/momentum2 ."

If you were posting this to show that the University can raise money. Of course it can. The University wants to be a 1st class academic institution. So, as a private University It's always seeking funds. So ...Good info to know.

Now the University is asking donors for help to complete the IPF for the football program. It's no different. It's up to the fans of that program to help IF you want the football program to be 1st class. Just like the "fans" of those academic programs that Momentum 2 helped did.

I really don't see why some are so shook up. IF you 're a fan and you want Miami to be successful in the future, Great!!! give what you can......if not, stop complaining about something that you want no part of.

Apparently there are more fans of the academic side of Miami than this board would have you believe. Amazing, isn't it? People say football is the money leader of the school and yet the numbers don't lie. Overwhelmingly people have donated a billion dollars for academic needs and the football fans cry poor mouth over 700K.

The City of Coral Gables just topped it up. It's done.

Really??

That's taxpayers $$ so wouldn't that require a bond referendum or something?

Great IF true, but why would they? Especially when they have so many other pressing municipal needs

Really??

That's taxpayers $$ so wouldn't that require a bond referendum or something?

Great IF true, but why would they? Especially when they have so many other pressing municipal needs
Isn't this the guy who said Jim Tressel died of a heart attack?

Apparently there are more fans of the academic side of Miami than this board would have you believe. Amazing, isn't it? People say football is the money leader of the school and yet the numbers don't lie. Overwhelmingly people have donated a billion dollars for academic needs and the football fans cry poor mouth over 700K.

Heck we don't care about no schoolin here at Bama
000.jpeg

But lease folks round here gonna try ta scrape togedder sumptin ta hep keep dat Tide football teem Rollin..not like dem city fellers....ain't dat right Zeke........Yeah Roll Tide!!! I sends dem $2 lik clockwork

Bama leaves no stones unturned when it comes to their football and it shows with their top notch facilities and a deeply dedicated $ giving fanbase.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do you know how many club seats you would need to pay for to equal just one semesters worth of tuition? Tuition the school needs to keep as low as possible in order to make college even remotely affordable. Raise tuition too much and there are no students. No University. Nothing.

Expecting the school to just win consistently without fan contributions (outside of ticket sales) is just entitlement. Pure and simple.
I paid tuition and wrote big donor checks later, plus all those years of tickets. I love our team and our players. By the same token I hate our administration. Everyone needs to stop judging everyone else and what the do or do not spend. When I went we were SunTan U and trust me their was nothing great about it.

The football program did more for The University of Miami that one night in January in the OB than all the BOT, Presidents, and pompous a$$ professors that even darkened our doors. Before that night, you told someone that you went to Miami and they said, "oh that's nice" Kind of like "bless your heart". After that night and a couple years of Jimmy, you said I went to Miami, you got "NOT SHI..!!!! You went to THE U?, Da...!" Our players did that, not Foote or an AD or any before them. Nor alum like me who wrote big checks. I'll give some credit to the guy who got Howard but it was those kids that made THE U! That is the delta between us and all others. They have donors, states, and institutional status; we have football players like none other who never left the program and are still there waiting to be called.

I'm going to go write another check to the IPF in honor of those kids, not because of our school just to put more money where my mouth is. You all throw whatever you can, even if it makes noise when it falls, or want to into the pot not for the school but because kids like Melvin Bratton did give us all they had.

I paid tuition and wrote big donor checks later, plus all those years of tickets. I love our team and our players. By the same token I hate our administration. Everyone needs to stop judging everyone else and what the do or do not spend. When I went we were SunTan U and trust me their was nothing great about it.

The football program did more for The University of Miami that one night in January in the OB than all the BOT, Presidents, and pompous a$$ professors that even darkened our doors. Before that night, you told someone that you went to Miami and they said, "oh that's nice" Kind of like "bless your heart". After that night and a couple years of Jimmy, you said I went to Miami, you got "NOT SHI..!!!! You went to THE U?, Da...!" Our players did that, not Foote or an AD or any before them. Nor alum like me who wrote big checks. I'll give some credit to the guy who got Howard but it was those kids that made THE U! That is the delta between us and all others. They have donors, states, and institutional status; we have football players like none other who never left the program and are still there waiting to be called.

I'm going to go write another check to the IPF in honor of those kids, not because of our school just to put more money where my mouth is. You all throw whatever you can, even if it makes noise when it falls, or want to into the pot not for the school but because kids like Melvin Bratton did give us all they had.

I follow you, except I don't understand why you hate our admins. Frenk and James went out and upped the budget to get an established coach with love of our school plus have made a big step in improving facilities to help recruiting. The campus probably looks way better than when you attended. It certainly looks better than when I did. The academic ranking has much improved since the "Suntan U" days, thus making our degrees look that much more impressive.

In any case, thank you for your contributions to the football program. IF not for you and other fans contributing, our school will get left in the dust.

Counting on uncle Luke!! But if not why not a $2.00 surcharge on each football game ticket. Its almost unnoticeable, it can even stay there permanently for future upgrades and other facility improvements.
Thaaaat is really smart. Good idea.

Advertisement
I follow you, except I don't understand why you hate our admins. Frenk and James went out and upped the budget to get an established coach with love of our school plus have made a big step in improving facilities to help recruiting. The campus probably looks way better than when you attended. It certainly looks better than when I did. The academic ranking has much improved since the "Suntan U" days, thus making our degrees look that much more impressive.

In any case, thank you for your contributions to the football program. IF not for you and other fans contributing, our school will get left in the dust.

Frenk has proven to be a very pleasant surprise. He actually stood up for the team against those anal retentive duke turds. And Foote would never had worn the TO chain. I’m good with him, but I go back a long way and Donna the whale is more standard of what we had.

By the way, the improve rankings came on the coattails on the football greatness. Massive increase in enrollment and money followed those NCs. Without them Miami would be what is was, good law and medical schools and world class oceanography school but nothing else. The U is the child of the football team. Nothing could make the Stanford of the South, but football did make us the USC of the South and more.

Football, has NEVER, ever built any University. It's a nice marketing tool, but it ends there. In fact, an overemphasis on athletics is usually a negative for a school, for it leads to leaders making decisions that ***** over the 99% of the students that aren't playing intercollegiate sports.

If football was a catalyst for significant growth, the SEC would be far and away the best group of academic institutions in the country outside the Ivy League, and we all know that isn't even remotely true. I know shysters like Billy Corben love to spout off about how "Miami would have never grown as an institution without football" , but the school's growth went far beyond a decade of dominant football. The University of Miami grew as the CITY OF MIAMI grew. As Miami became the gateway to the Americas, as the city went from a sleepy southern town, to a major metropolis, business investment poured in. As the money poured in, as jobs and opportunities exploded, the major institution in town was able to cash in on that by increasing fundraising. With improved fundraising came better faculty, with better faculty comes better research and scholarship, and elite kids want to go to school somewhere that they can receive a top quality education. Ever find it odd that when the football product went into the **** toilet, the school continued to grow and thrive? Presidents Foote and Shalala did their job, they leveraged their relationships with Corporate America to improve the fundraising capabilities of the institution. Their job is to look out for the best interests of alums and students, and as an alum, both did right by me, and my degrees. I expect Dr. Frenk to do the same thing, and lets be honest: He didn't hire MR, he was merely at the press conference. Him wearing a turnover chain doesn't change the fact that he has little, if any day to day impact in the athletic department.

If you expect any competent University President to give a **** about athletics beyond "As long as it isn't a public embarrassment, I'm good", then you have little understanding of how higher education works. The people with the actual power to create significant change in the Hecht building are the people that write the checks and the members of the BOT that have an actual interest in athletics. Maybe it's because most of our fans never attended the university, nor have they met or socialized with many that have that creates this inaccurate view of how the institution operates, but it has to stop.

Advertisement
Miami's endowment is relatively paltry, but even if that weren't the case, historically, the money wouldn't be going towards football. The shift in Miami's budgeting priorities that Richt and Frenk have accomplished is unprecedented at The U and nothing short of a miracle.

Do you understand what an earmark is? The University of Miami can't just move money willy-nilly, just because our half *** fanbase won't do their **** job. When I write my yearly check to the College of Arts and Sciences, that money is legally obligated to end up in their budget. The same goes for the med school, and other academic departments. Some funds are earmarked for the general fund, but pressing academic needs are looked after first, as they should be. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not the FOOTBALL VOCATIONAL SCHOOL of Coral Gables. If you want stuff, get off your *** and write a **** check. I'll never understand how this fanbase can be so incredibly cheap and half assed, but then complain when the product isn't what they want. You get what you pay for, and you can't keep expecting guys to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Howard, Jimmy, Dennis(to an extent), and Butch succeeded despite working with sub par facilities. Unfortunately, times have changed, the factory schools have gone all in on that front, when in previous generations, the gap wasn't as large. We must keep up, or least be competitive.

When I get home from trucking in a couple of days, after I settle my finances I'll kick in a bit of money.

I paid about $600 to go to my first Hard Rock game vs. Notre Dame, and in the end, I felt like I got way more than my moneys worth.

My pockets arent deep, but they are deep enough. :)

God bless you.

If we only had more fans like you.

I hope you get to some home games this year.

Do you understand what an earmark is? The University of Miami can't just move money willy-nilly, just because our half *** fanbase won't do their **** job. When I write my yearly check to the College of Arts and Sciences, that money is legally obligated to end up in their budget. The same goes for the med school, and other academic departments. Some funds are earmarked for the general fund, but pressing academic needs are looked after first, as they should be. It's the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not the FOOTBALL VOCATIONAL SCHOOL of Coral Gables. If you want stuff, get off your *** and write a **** check. I'll never understand how this fanbase can be so incredibly cheap and half assed, but then complain when the product isn't what they want. You get what you pay for, and you can't keep expecting guys to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Howard, Jimmy, Dennis(to an extent), and Butch succeeded despite working with sub par facilities. Unfortunately, times have changed, the factory schools have gone all in on that front, when in previous generations, the gap wasn't as large. We must keep up, or least be competitive.
Moron there's no legal anything. They set the rules or "earmark" how much of your dumbass money they can spend so people like you keep giving cause "they can't use it".

The reason the fan base is cheap is cause the school itself is cheap. They've just now started paying coaches, built a bubble (while begging people and players for funds despite their billions dollars), and their facilities have sucked till recently. The cheapness starts with the school not the fan base. You keep giving your money to rich folks.... enjoy that

Advertisement
Back