Interview with N'Kosi Perry

View as article
We won't know until they are under fire, but Kaaya as a teenager in fall camp was better than anything I've seen from Rosier and Shirreffs in practice.

I agree that the stats don't tell the whole story (Kaaya would've been the best QB in the ACC if they did). But his numbers were pretty remarkable given his age- not only was he was first in QBR and TDs, but he was first in YPA and second in total yards. I can't see that kind of production based on what I've seen so far from these two.

It's not like we are talking about a seasoned fifth-year senior like Ryan Williams. Shirreffs has never played and Rosier has barely played. That's why I think Perry has a strong chance if he's legit.

If your family's life were on the line, I highly doubt you'd have chosen 2014 Brad Kaaya over 2014 Jameis Winston to lead the team to save them. Winston had worse total stats, which is my point on your 'best QB in the ACC' conclusion. Unless you mean "most impressive stats" = best QB. Then I better understand.

I think you misread my post. Of course Kaaya wasn't the best QB in the ACC that year, which is why the stats didn't tell the whole story.

But they told a lot. He elevated guys like Clive Walford, had a huge game on the road against Nebraska, won the Duke game with spectacular throws, made big plays against FSU, etc. He opened my eyes as to what a true freshman could do in the right circumstances.

The biggest thing that helped Kaaya was an experienced OL with Flowers, McDermott and Feliciano. Perry could be in a somewhat similar situation. We have six guys who have played major snaps plus Donaldson. That could make things easier for him.
Yep. Misread it to mean "if not he would have been the best QB." I stand by the rest. I don't think he elevated Clive Walford. Walford elevated him as much or more, and both were propped by great film study by Coley and his script. The play against FSU stands out. Looks like a long throw. Looks like Walford made a huge play. It was mostly a great playcall and formation trick Coley had saved.

When Coley's bullets would run out, Kaaya's flaws became illuminated. We hoped those flaws would get fixed. I remember during his sophomore year we both looked for evidence of him stepping into the pocket and sliding within it. Can probably dig up a few posts about the topic.

I'm with you on our OL this year helping more than hurting. I don't think we need the QB to be a worldbeater. If we get the type of QB management we got from Coley/Kaaya in 2014, we should win 10-11 games.

Advertisement
@DMoney what do u think of Perry as a qb and u think he can get it done now? i think so but we may lose to fsu

Can't really judge until he gets here. Love his talent but we need to see how he handles it.

Is Perry going to get a chance to scrimmage in the summer with the team? Or is it just practice? Everything Miami has done this year has been a mystery. That's why I ask

@DMoney what do u think of Perry as a qb and u think he can get it done now? i think so but we may lose to fsu

Can't really judge until he gets here. Love his talent but we need to see how he handles it.

Is Perry going to get a chance to scrimmage in the summer with the team? Or is it just practice? Everything Miami has done this year has been a mystery. That's why I ask

The pads don't come on until August but he can do everything before that. If he's going to compete he needs to make an early impression in player-organized 7-on-7s.

No one is arguing in favor of Perry because of his perceived athleticism, he doesn't run a 4.40 & isn't a running QB.

Weldon ran a lot in his offense in High School & relies on his legs far more than Perry does.

With that said, Shirreffs will be the starter & I've got no problem with that...

But, the game manager narrative isn't going to cut it, Shirreffs better be more than that, because if you think he's just gonna be a checkdown artist & lead us to a Coastal or ACC title you're sadly mistaken.

He will have to make some big time throws & have the ability to lead a comeback if this team gets down in the 1st half.

Trust, you need a QB that can do more than just make safe checkdowns, when the run game ain't working & Defenses are brining heavy pressure, you better have a QB that ain't afraid to sling it or you'll be in trouble in tough road games.

Is Shirreffs that guy, hope so & we'll find out @ FSU & @ UNC... This is a win now season, so that's what needs to happen, win now.

Peyton Manning won a ring by check downs that while game in the Super Bowl
Apples to Oranges... For every "Peyton Manning won a SB with check downs" argument, I can see you & raise you an Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, Kirk Cousins etc argument that disproves that point.

Comparing NFL rosters to College teams simply doesn't work... Completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not arguing that Shirreffs is that, I'm saying the idea that him being that will be enough for us to win the Coastal/ACC is highly unlikely.

I hope/want him to be more than just a check down QB & he will need to be if this is a Win Now season.

Pennington was a beast in college. Yeah It helps to have Randy Moss catching the ball for you but Chad was very good in college.

Advertisement
Not enrolling early definitely sets Perry back, but his competition is light. Brad Kaaya came in late and led the ACC in QB rating and touchdowns as a true freshman. There are dummies who will blame Kaaya (and not our toxic coaching situation) for our record that year, but the truth is he was a better player as a freshman than Rosier and Shirreffs are right now. Richt has wasted no time playing true freshmen during his Miami tenure and I don't think he's enamored with our QBs. There's a reason he has left the door wide open for Perry.
I wouldn't blame Kaaya for our record in 2014. However, was he really better than what Rosier or Shirreffs would offer us in 2017?

Kaaya's 2014 total stats (QBR and total TDs) may not tell the story. I'd have to look up specific games, but what I remember was Kaaya being mostly a "game manager" who, under Coley's script, racked up a good amount of his numbers against poor defenses or early on in games (with Coley being the king of pre-determination). I haven't seen Rosier or Shirreffs this spring. But, is it really unlikely they'd produce similarly to what Kaaya gave us in 2014? If so, that's bad news.

If we could get the same offensive production from our offense with Perry as true freshman that we did when Kaaya was a true freshman I'd roll those dice . The offense in 2014 was able to average 28 ppg vs FBS opponents. Yes, you'd like to see more, but if we can get that production from our offense with the defense we expect to have this season then no reason we shouldn't win 10 games.

Other relevant offensive stats from 2014 vs FBS oppoents:

252 passing ypg, good for 46th in the nation
178 rushing ypg, good for 46th in the nation
We were terrible in 3rd down conversions. 37.95, good for 81st in the nation.

We actually had a worse 3rd down conversion percentage this season than when Kaaya was a true freshman (34.38, sitting at 106th in the nation). The scoring offense this year vs FBS was 31.3 ppg vs FBS. I would expect both those numbers to improve this season with Richt not being as rusty as a play caller as well as having a QB that can extend plays with his legs.

No one is arguing in favor of Perry because of his perceived athleticism, he doesn't run a 4.40 & isn't a running QB.

Weldon ran a lot in his offense in High School & relies on his legs far more than Perry does.

With that said, Shirreffs will be the starter & I've got no problem with that...

But, the game manager narrative isn't going to cut it, Shirreffs better be more than that, because if you think he's just gonna be a checkdown artist & lead us to a Coastal or ACC title you're sadly mistaken.

He will have to make some big time throws & have the ability to lead a comeback if this team gets down in the 1st half.

Trust, you need a QB that can do more than just make safe checkdowns, when the run game ain't working & Defenses are brining heavy pressure, you better have a QB that ain't afraid to sling it or you'll be in trouble in tough road games.

Is Shirreffs that guy, hope so & we'll find out @ FSU & @ UNC... This is a win now season, so that's what needs to happen, win now.

Apples to Oranges... For every "Peyton Manning won a SB with check downs" argument, I can see you & raise you an Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, Kirk Cousins etc argument that disproves that point.

Comparing NFL rosters to College teams simply doesn't work... Completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not arguing that Shirreffs is that, I'm saying the idea that him being that will be enough for us to win the Coastal/ACC is highly unlikely.

I hope/want him to be more than just a check down QB & he will need to be if this is a Win Now season.

Pennington was a beast in college. Yeah It helps to have Randy Moss catching the ball for you but Chad was very good in college.
I know he was, but the argument was made for a NFL QB winning a SB by being a check down artist & my point was you can't compare College to the NFL.

Not enrolling early definitely sets Perry back, but his competition is light. Brad Kaaya came in late and led the ACC in QB rating and touchdowns as a true freshman. There are dummies who will blame Kaaya (and not our toxic coaching situation) for our record that year, but the truth is he was a better player as a freshman than Rosier and Shirreffs are right now. Richt has wasted no time playing true freshmen during his Miami tenure and I don't think he's enamored with our QBs. There's a reason he has left the door wide open for Perry.
I wouldn't blame Kaaya for our record in 2014. However, was he really better than what Rosier or Shirreffs would offer us in 2017?

Kaaya's 2014 total stats (QBR and total TDs) may not tell the story. I'd have to look up specific games, but what I remember was Kaaya being mostly a "game manager" who, under Coley's script, racked up a good amount of his numbers against poor defenses or early on in games (with Coley being the king of pre-determination). I haven't seen Rosier or Shirreffs this spring. But, is it really unlikely they'd produce similarly to what Kaaya gave us in 2014? If so, that's bad news.

If we could get the same offensive production from our offense with Perry as true freshman that we did when Kaaya was a true freshman I'd roll those dice . The offense in 2014 was able to average 28 ppg vs FBS opponents. Yes, you'd like to see more, but if we can get that production from our offense with the defense we expect to have this season then no reason we shouldn't win 10 games.

Other relevant offensive stats from 2014 vs FBS oppoents:

252 passing ypg, good for 46th in the nation
178 rushing ypg, good for 46th in the nation
We were terrible in 3rd down conversions. 37.95, good for 81st in the nation.

We actually had a worse 3rd down conversion percentage this season than when Kaaya was a true freshman (34.38, sitting at 106th in the nation). The scoring offense this year vs FBS was 31.3 ppg vs FBS. I would expect both those numbers to improve this season with Richt not being as rusty as a play caller as well as having a QB that can extend plays with his legs.
Agreed. I said that in the last line of post #144 (above).

I know he was, but the argument was made for a NFL QB winning a SB by being a check down artist & my point was you can't compare College to the NFL.[/QUOTE
Idk I think the Canes'll have comparable skill position players as that team respectively

Advertisement
I truly think some of you guys are out of your minds. We cannot waste a championship defense on Perry --a true freshman --that did not play in a sophisticated offense in HS. There is a zero % chance that guy comes in to win the job after missing the spring---ZERO!!

He needs to redshirt, learn the system, enhance his footwork, and learn to read defenses at this level. We must play the best guy, and the besst guy will be either Rosier, Sherrifs or perhaps even Allison, in order to try to win the ACC and perhaps have a shot at the playoffs.

If we start Perry we will have wasted this championship caliber defense. Cannot happen! That's the kind of **** Al Golden would do.

We must try to win NOW!

"Wasting a championship defense on Perry."

I wonder were Bama fans saying the same thing about starting Jalen Hurts this year. He was a true freshman this past season. Granted, I believe he was an EE, but still a true freshman.

that's true about hurts. however:

1) the offenses were/are different, and what he was asked to do from lane kiffin was a bit different than what CMR is going to expect.
2) he had the advantage of being on campus a lot longer his first year than perry will be, and he still didn't start the season as the no. 1 QB
3) for all the success he had as a freshman, some of his failures as a passer hurt alabama down the stretch. it was one of the reasons kiffin and sabag came to blows (almost)

1.) Different doesn't mean more complex. Richt didn't ask Kaay to go through 4 progressions. A lot of the RPO stuff is reading a single player and making a decision based off that.

2.) True, he was on campus all spring. And even though he wasn't technically Bama's starting QB week 1, he played early and often in Bama's week 1 game against USC. Some think that the only reason Hurts didn't actually start that game was because Saban didn't want Blake Barnett to transfer before their season started. So he didn't name Hurts their week 1 starter coming out of spring ball.

3.) Yes, Hurts had his struggles, but he also made plenty of plays for Bama. Almost had a game winning drive in the championship game too had it not been for Watson and Clemson. And I'd say that Kffin and Saban almost came to blows not because of Hurts' play, but because Kiffin liked the deep ball more than handing it off.

Perry said that he feels like he's better than Jameis Winston right now... That boy Perry is coming

BCC and Arkansas State are the perfect games to start a true freshmen. In fact, other than FSU, it's the perfect schedule to start a true freshmen.

I am by no means saying you start him for the **** of it, he has to earn it.

But, if he looks like the guy, freshman be damned, the future is now.

I'll take Perry with a year under his belt heading into 2018, FSU game be damned. You don't make a program changing decision for the sake of one game, any game.

And for the record, he's precisely the type of QB to beat FSU, too.

I totally agree with all your points made...if he gets the playbook down to where CRM can trust him to not turn a bad play into a catastrophe then yeah, the future starts now. I wouldn't be oppose to him starting against Fsu on road if the oline can hold up. We may lose that game, but come ACCCG with 12 games under his belt, leads us to our 1st ACC title. In all due respect, let him earn it in camp.

Advertisement
I think Perry CAN be a very good QB here, but only AFTER a redshirt season to learn and with a full year in the weight room to get stronger. That guy will not be ready to start this year, given he missed the Spring and will be coming in during the first summer session. We run a sophisticated Pro-Style offense that requires precise footwork, and an ability to actually read defenses, not a read-option one read offense.

This defense has a chance to be great --possibly the best defense we will have fielded since 2003-2004 (Vilma, Taylor, Wilform, Rolle), and we cannot--I repeat--CANNOT waste this defense on Perry. This defense has a chance to carry us all the way, and all we need is a QB that will limit mistakes and make smart reads---basically, a game manager. Sherrifs or Rosier "might" be able to give us that. They "might" be able to give us that, but I KNOW a true freshman Perry can't. A guy that inexperienced and coming directly out of HS (and having played in an unsophisticated offense) will be good for 2-3 losses all by his **** self.

No--we need to Redshirt Perry, dance with Sherrifs or Rosier (possibly Allison) and ride a championship defense as far as they'll take us. We've all suffered enough and we've come too far as a program. It's time to try to win big, and a game manager for this season will be just what the Dr. ordered. Then we unleash Perry, Weldon or Sherrifs with a wide open and powerful offense in 2018

How do you "know" what Perry can and will do,smh. If he wins the job in camp, who cares what your crystal ball is telling you. And the fact that Rosier/ Sherrifs have not taken the position after full year and spring camp is telling in itself.

I know he's 4 hours away, but I find it strange that he hasn't driven down to any practices or even the weekend scrimmages. I thought he would be here as often as possible, standing by the QBs and taking mental reps to help him with his transition to college ball...

Does anyone know if he'll at least be at the Scrimmage this weekend?

I know he's 4 hours away, but I find it strange that he hasn't driven down to any practices or even the weekend scrimmages. I thought he would be here as often as possible, standing by the QBs and taking mental reps to help him with his transition to college ball...

Does anyone know if he'll at least be at the Scrimmage this weekend?

It's a fair question.

You would think he would have been down here a couple of times.

It may be absolutely nothing. But I hope it's not indicative of the type of preparation he's going to be putting in. If you want to start this year, or even next, he's going to have to put in a lot of extra time outside of practice. Watching film, learn the playbook, studying. All that takes a lot of time and preparation.

Advertisement
Dude is working out with Heisman Trophy winner and starting NFL QB. Dat better than 8 hour trip to stand on sideline to watch a practice. Dude will be here May 22nd or so I think. Not worried he gonna put in da work.

Advertisement
Back