Interview with N'Kosi Perry

View as article
It's a game of odds and probabilities. Rick knows he should have a great defense this year and can make a big move with this team THIS YEAR if his QB can hit some easy passes, distribute the ball and not make a lot of dumb freshmans mistakes.

Here's the counter to that: if you're going to pare down the offense anyway, shouldn't you do it for a freshman instead of an old guy? Our best chance to win big is having a big-time QB, and this season can put Perry ahead of the curve.

It's too early to make predictions and we haven't even seen Perry. He could be way over his head. But I'm not convinced the two guys we have are necessarily safe options. They make bad mistakes, too.

This is kind of where I'm at as well, esp. re: Rosier. He's the only QB on our roster who's game-seasoned, but Richt has said over and over since last year that he makes bad mistakes in practice - I'll see if I can find it, but I distinctly remember an interview when Richt was asked about Rosier and his response was something like "we don't want a guy who'll turn a bad play into a catastrophe." Now maybe he's come a long way with his decision-making, but I think in Richt's timing-based offense, Rosier is a bit of a square peg. JMO.

Advertisement
It's a game of odds and probabilities. Rick knows he should have a great defense this year and can make a big move with this team THIS YEAR if his QB can hit some easy passes, distribute the ball and not make a lot of dumb freshmans mistakes.

Here's the counter to that: if you're going to pare down the offense anyway, shouldn't you do it for a freshman instead of an old guy? Our best chance to win big is having a big-time QB, and this season can put Perry ahead of the curve.

It's too early to make predictions and we haven't even seen Perry. He could be way over his head. But I'm not convinced the two guys we have are necessarily safe options. They make bad mistakes, too.

This is kind of where I'm at as well, esp. re: Rosier. He's the only QB on our roster who's game-seasoned, but Richt has said over and over since last year that he makes bad mistakes in practice - I'll see if I can find it, but I distinctly remember an interview when Richt was asked about Rosier and his response was something like "we don't want a guy who'll turn a bad play into a catastrophe." Now maybe he's come a long way with his decision-making, but I think in Richt's timing-based offense, Rosier is a bit of a square peg. JMO.

Richt has never been so direct in his criticism of any player. He certainly hasn't consistently said that Rosier makes bad mistake after bad mistake. He said Rosier has a tendency to try to force a big play instead of taking what the offense is scripted to take. He's not interested in a QB trying to make the spectacular play happen.

Quotes from last August which was last time he talked about the backups until the spring:

“Malik has a tendency to want to do something heroic,” Richt said. “I keep telling him I don’t need a hero, I need someone to run the system. … Most great plays are just a normal play that they do at an extraordinary time.”

Last edited:

All this coupled with the fact that Perry threw something like 6 ints in 2 years compared to 56 TDs... I don't see a polished QB in any way when I look at his film, but those are incredible numbers.

Richt has never been so direct in his criticism of any player. He certainly hasn't consistently said that Rosier makes bad mistake after bad mistake. He said Rosier has a tendency to try to force a big play instead of taking what the offense is scripted to take. He's not interested in a QB trying to make the spectacular play happen.

You're right of course, but that was my inference based on Richt's coach-speak. I do remember the bit about not making a bad play a catastrophe though, but perhaps he was just speaking generally and I'm projecting...

Guys get too juiced up over HS highlights from QBs. QB is a totally different animal than any other position on the field. Your QB must know everything he has to do and everything everyone else is doing on every **** play. He is the leader of the offense. If your QB gets in the huddle and doesn't know what's going, it's impossible for him to be an effective leader.

I love Perry's talent. I love Weldon's talent too. They're both physically better talents than anyone else on the roster. Problem is that the game speeds up by a thousand times when you're not comfortable and sure of everything. On top of that, Rick expects his QBs to be perfect and to always make the right read. Great talent like Perry's gets equalized if he's unsure and is thinking too much.

Dudes are expecting way too much from him as a late entry. I'd love to see a list of summer enrollee true freshmans QBs who have started and won conference/national championships. I'm guessing it's a microscopic list of QBs.

I looked this up a little while ago. It's a small list and most of the ones on it had 8 or 9 wins tops. Hurts would certainly be on the list, but he's more of a running back playing quarterback.

True freshman QBs who led teams to the best seasons. | Sports on Earth

Thanks, JohnnyB. I don't think Hurts was a summer enrollee though. I'd think the list of summer enrollees who won championships as true freshmans would be even shorter.

I don't know about you guys, but I ain't looking to win 8 or 9 games this year. If we don't win at least 10 regular season games and play for the ACC championship, then this season is a fail.

sheriffs or rosier doesnt guarantee a 10 win season. These dudes are bridge qbs. Basically like what maguire was at fsu. One of them will start to give the younger more talented qbs the chance to get ready.

No QB guarantees anything. You're constantly talking to me about guarantees when you've never seen me mention anything about guarantees.

Rick has a chance to have an excellent season, and he's going to play the odds. The odds are that a veteran QB with less talent can make less killer mistakes and cost the team less games. Anything else would be a major disservice to the rest of the team.

Exactly, what we need is a guy that can limit mistakes to a minimum. Rarely freshmen QB's can do that. For momentum sake of the 18 class, we need to win big, at least reach the ACCCG. this can't be a true freshmen QB experiement year, only to end up with 8 or 9 wins. We need a guy that has been in the system for a while and knows that his job is to put the ball in the hands of our playmakers and not try any heroics that young kids trying to prove themselves often do.

Perry is my favorite QB going forward and I think he starts next year. Whoever wants to leave after that, idgaf. But this year, itmwont be Perry.

Advertisement

I get that, D$ ... but you know as well as anyone that "big time" QB play isn't about the hyper-athleticism. my point earlier in the thread is not whether Perry is physically talented. He is. It's whether he's ready for the mental game, which is speed and accuracy of: recognition, decisionmaking, and tendency, coupled with leadership and mental toughness. The best one on the roster in that regard is Evan. The coaches have alluded to it, Austin P mentioned it in his podcast with Peter, other players have talked about it. If Perry can match that, then he has a chance to be a starter. But he won't be the starter simply because he can run a 4.4. 40 and throw it 65 yards

I'm not all that sure you need to pare down the offense for Shirreffs. He's been here long enough and is a very intelligent guy who can throw and run when necessary. I'm not sure why you'd have to pare down the offense for him. Rosier might require more moving pockets due to his height, but he should be way more comfortable with the offense than Perry, who will have a few weeks of practice before the season starts.

For perspective on true freshmans QBs, Clemson's 5 star freshmans QB just went 5 for 13 for 45 yards and a pick in their spring game. You're going to have to show me a list of summer enrollee true freshmans QBs whose teams have won conference/national championships. You're one of those guys expecting too much too soon from Perry, D. There's way too much at stake for this team to hand it to a late enrollee true freshmans.

No one is arguing in favor of Perry because of his perceived athleticism, he doesn't run a 4.40 & isn't a running QB.

Weldon ran a lot in his offense in High School & relies on his legs far more than Perry does.

With that said, Shirreffs will be the starter & I've got no problem with that...

But, the game manager narrative isn't going to cut it, Shirreffs better be more than that, because if you think he's just gonna be a checkdown artist & lead us to a Coastal or ACC title you're sadly mistaken.

He will have to make some big time throws & have the ability to lead a comeback if this team gets down in the 1st half.

Trust, you need a QB that can do more than just make safe checkdowns, when the run game ain't working & Defenses are brining heavy pressure, you better have a QB that ain't afraid to sling it or you'll be in trouble in tough road games.

Is Shirreffs that guy, hope so & we'll find out @ FSU & @ UNC... This is a win now season, so that's what needs to happen, win now.

throw the rookie in when he gets here fuq it learn by playing not by clip board ****..........fsus week 3 we need someone who can wing it and win not a game manager

No one is arguing in favor of Perry because of his perceived athleticism, he doesn't run a 4.40 & isn't a running QB.

Weldon ran a lot in his offense in High School & relies on his legs far more than Perry does.

With that said, Shirreffs will be the starter & I've got no problem with that...

But, the game manager narrative isn't going to cut it, Shirreffs better be more than that, because if you think he's just gonna be a checkdown artist & lead us to a Coastal or ACC title you're sadly mistaken.

He will have to make some big time throws & have the ability to lead a comeback if this team gets down in the 1st half.

Trust, you need a QB that can do more than just make safe checkdowns, when the run game ain't working & Defenses are brining heavy pressure, you better have a QB that ain't afraid to sling it or you'll be in trouble in tough road games.

Is Shirreffs that guy, hope so & we'll find out @ FSU & @ UNC... This is a win now season, so that's what needs to happen, win now.

throw the rookie in when he gets here fuq it learn by playing not by clip board ****..........fsus week 3 we need someone who can wing it and win not a game manager
I think we should roll with Shirreffs, I trust his ability more than Rosiers to be honest...

If it's between Rosier or Perry, then give me Perry, but for this season, if it's between Shirreffs or Perry, then go with Shirreffs.

Shirreffs will have 3 road games early on against ACC opponents, he'll prove what everyone is saying about him in those games.

If people think we can win the Coastal or the ACC with Shirreffs, then it has to be him.

Advertisement
I'm not all that sure you need to pare down the offense for Shirreffs. He's been here long enough and is a very intelligent guy who can throw and run when necessary

You said that all we need is someone to make easy passes and not ***** up. I read that as a pared-down offense. Shirreffs may be smart enough to give you the whole playbook but he takes stuff away because of his lack of arm strength.

Now, I haven't seen Perry so it's all guess work. But I could see a guy with his skillset executing some Kubiak-style half-field reads, moving pockets, some zone runs, play-action and a healthy dose of screens. The game is trending in a way that true freshmen quarterbacks and rookie quarterbacks in the NFL are able to have success immediately.

Not enrolling early definitely sets Perry back, but his competition is light. Brad Kaaya came in late and led the ACC in QB rating and touchdowns as a true freshman. There are dummies who will blame Kaaya (and not our toxic coaching situation) for our record that year, but the truth is he was a better player as a freshman than Rosier and Shirreffs are right now. Richt has wasted no time playing true freshmen during his Miami tenure and I don't think he's enamored with our QBs. There's a reason he has left the door wide open for Perry.

Some of you guys would have argued against Steve Walsh or Ken Dorsey.

A interception slinging freshmans will lose you a game way quicker than a Steve Walsh type QB.

I'm not all that sure you need to pare down the offense for Shirreffs. He's been here long enough and is a very intelligent guy who can throw and run when necessary

You said that all we need is someone to make easy passes and not ***** up. I read that as a pared-down offense. Shirreffs may be smart enough to give you the whole playbook but he takes stuff away because of his lack of arm strength.

Now, I haven't seen Perry so it's all guess work. But I could see a guy with his skillset executing some Kubiak-style half-field reads, moving pockets, some zone runs, play-action and a healthy dose of screens. The game is trending in a way that true freshmen quarterbacks and rookie quarterbacks in the NFL are able to have success immediately.

Not enrolling early definitely sets Perry back, but his competition is light. Brad Kaaya came in late and led the ACC in QB rating and touchdowns as a true freshman. There are dummies who will blame Kaaya (and not our toxic coaching situation) for our record that year, but the truth is he was a better player as a freshman than Rosier and Shirreffs are right now. Richt has wasted no time playing true freshmen during his Miami tenure and I don't think he's enamored with our QBs. There's a reason he has left the door wide open for Perry.

this

if evan cant make some throws imagine his noodle arm against fsu and those defenders that close......if perry looks good in practice just throw him in there fuq it he may lose but ride with it

I think we should roll with Shirreffs, I trust his ability more than Rosiers to be honest...

If it's between Rosier or Perry, then give me Perry, but for this season, if it's between Shirreffs or Perry, then go with Shirreffs.

Shirreffs will have 3 road games early on against ACC opponents, he'll prove what everyone is saying about him in those games.

If people think we can win the Coastal or the ACC with Shirreffs, then it has to be him.

Why is Shirreffs your choice in a Rosier vs. Shirreffs vs Perry competition already? He's getting a lot of juice on this board from a scrimmage where he threw a pick just like the rest of the QBs. Reports are he had the best scrimmage and has been getting more reps recently so I guess he's in the lead. All the QBs have two more game-like situations to make a move. They've got 3 major tests to take and he got a better grade on the first one. If he's not good tomorrow where would you stand?

Advertisement
I wouldn't blame Kaaya for our record in 2014. However, was he really better than what Rosier or Shirreffs would offer us in 2017?

Kaaya's 2014 total stats (QBR and total TDs) may not tell the story. I'd have to look up specific games, but what I remember was Kaaya being mostly a "game manager" who, under Coley's script, racked up a good amount of his numbers against poor defenses or early on in games (with Coley being the king of pre-determination). I haven't seen Rosier or Shirreffs this spring. But, is it really unlikely they'd produce similarly to what Kaaya gave us in 2014? If so, that's bad news.

Peyton Manning won a ring by check downs that while game in the Super Bowl

Peyton Manning won a ring by check downs that while game in the Super Bowl
Apples to Oranges... For every "Peyton Manning won a SB with check downs" argument, I can see you & raise you an Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, Kirk Cousins etc argument that disproves that point.

Comparing NFL rosters to College teams simply doesn't work... Completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not arguing that Shirreffs is that, I'm saying the idea that him being that will be enough for us to win the Coastal/ACC is highly unlikely.

I hope/want him to be more than just a check down QB & he will need to be if this is a Win Now season.

Advertisement
I wouldn't blame Kaaya for our record in 2014. However, was he really better than what Rosier or Shirreffs would offer us in 2017?

Kaaya's 2014 total stats (QBR and total TDs) may not tell the story. I'd have to look up specific games, but what I remember was Kaaya being mostly a "game manager" who, under Coley's script, racked up a good amount of his numbers against poor defenses or early on in games (with Coley being the king of pre-determination). I haven't seen Rosier or Shirreffs this spring. But, is it really unlikely they'd produce similarly to what Kaaya gave us in 2014? If so, that's bad news.

We won't know until they are under fire, but Kaaya as a teenager in fall camp was better than anything I've seen from Rosier and Shirreffs in practice.

I agree that the stats don't tell the whole story (Kaaya would've been the best QB in the ACC if they did). But his numbers were pretty remarkable given his age- not only was he was first in QBR and TDs, but he was first in YPA and second in total yards. I can't see that kind of production based on what I've seen so far from these two.

It's not like we are talking about a seasoned fifth-year senior like Ryan Williams. Shirreffs has never played and Rosier has barely played. That's why I think Perry has a strong chance if he's legit.

We won't know until they are under fire, but Kaaya as a teenager in fall camp was better than anything I've seen from Rosier and Shirreffs in practice.

I agree that the stats don't tell the whole story (Kaaya would've been the best QB in the ACC if they did). But his numbers were pretty remarkable given his age- not only was he was first in QBR and TDs, but he was first in YPA and second in total yards. I can't see that kind of production based on what I've seen so far from these two.

It's not like we are talking about a seasoned fifth-year senior like Ryan Williams. Shirreffs has never played and Rosier has barely played. That's why I think Perry has a strong chance if he's legit.
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] what do u think of Perry as a qb and u think he can get it done now? i think so but we may lose to fsu

I believe you're overrating what Kaaya's stats in 2014 indicate. Almost half his total TDs came by way of FAMU, Arkansas State, a poor Cincy defense and a 6-7 UNC team. Yes, all QBs face crap teams. However, the point I'm emphasizing is Kaaya wasn't really a true Frosh who elevated his teammates or was anything more than a [good] game manager in Coley's scripted offense.

If your family's lives were on the line, I highly doubt you'd have chosen 2014 Brad Kaaya over 2014 Jameis Winston to lead the team to save them. Winston had worse total stats, which is my point on your 'best QB in the ACC' conclusion. Unless you mean "most impressive stats" = best QB. Then I better understand.

All that said, hard not to agree with your overall conclusion that Perry has a strong chance. Mainly, because of something else you've said: Perry may be able to mostly execute the offense Richt would employ with Shirreffs/Rosier, only with a higher ceiling and more significance for the program.

If your family's life were on the line, I highly doubt you'd have chosen 2014 Brad Kaaya over 2014 Jameis Winston to lead the team to save them. Winston had worse total stats, which is my point on your 'best QB in the ACC' conclusion. Unless you mean "most impressive stats" = best QB. Then I better understand.

I think you misread my post. Of course Kaaya wasn't the best QB in the ACC that year, which is why the stats didn't tell the whole story.

But they told a lot. He elevated guys like Clive Walford, had a huge game on the road against Nebraska, won the Duke game with spectacular throws, made big plays against FSU, etc. He opened my eyes as to what a true freshman could do in the right circumstances.

The biggest thing that helped Kaaya was an experienced OL with Flowers, McDermott and Feliciano. Perry could be in a somewhat similar situation. We have six guys who have played major snaps plus Donaldson. That could make things easier for him.

Advertisement
Back