Interesting take from A&M writer

The Gators suck because they dont have coaching, not because the players suck. Which is why I brought up coaching. Its amazing you understand the intricacies of football but cant follow a conversation.
Have you seen more than 0 plays involving Graham Mertz? If so this a perplexing comment youve made.

Advertisement
True, but too much emphasis on the DL with similar type players vs recruiting quality complementary players. IMO Jimbo is too enamored with the # of stars a player has vs recruiting to fit the team's needs. Mario has done a real good job of recruiting quality players and fitting team needs at the same time. Bottom line glad Jimbo is failing miserably lol
As were a significant number of people on this site as the recruiting losses piled up over the summer. How often have we heard "stars matter", "it's X's and O's over Jimmies and Joes", "we need elite monsters not diamonds in the rough".

All the while discounting evaluations and development. I guess some weren't paying attention in the 80's when we got good.

I don't believe the issue A&M has is 'stacking chips' as much as its developing talent and coaching.

There is no reason A&M shouldn't be a playoff team every year. They spend more, and make more, than anyone else in CFB. They are located in THE talent rich state. For years, the even had the advantage of being the only Texas SEC school and having a mediocre UTexas program to 'compete' with.

A&Ms issue has been their inability to hire the right HC. Looking at how Jimbo left FSU, it's not surprising how his time at A&M has been. They 'stole' Jimbo and gave him an absolutely ridiculous contract. And then gave him a 10 year extension is '21. Mind you, he's never won more than 9 games, in a season, at A&M.

Previously, Alabama, and, most recently, Georgia, have built dynasties with 'stacking chips'. Alabama's coaching fell off, and, so did their shine.

If I'm A&M, I'm already talking to urban and asking him to put a staff together. And, then I'm preparing to whatever 'health scare' he eventually has.
Eh. Florida produces better players than Texas and the big three here have been average or below average for a while now. Plus Texas almost always out recruits A&M. I don’t doubt that poor coaching choices have hurt them but their roster is incredibly unbalanced. They’re LOADED at some spots and really mediocre at others.

Advertisement
The Gators suck because they dont have coaching, not because the players suck. Which is why I brought up coaching. Its amazing you understand the intricacies of football but cant follow a conversation.

The...Gaytors...suck...

Their players suck...their coaches suck...

The fact that you think that the Gaytors have a "championship roster" ("because blue chip ratio says so") with that collection of ****heads tells me everything I need to know about you.

Here are all of the Gaytor blue-chippers. This list is "composite" rankings, and the players are arranged from "best to worst" in each year.

Maybe you can figure out why this is NOT a "championship roster" (at least not yet)...

[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 TRANSFER Jalen Kimber - starter[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 TRANSFER Jack Miller III - TERRIBLE AND INJURED[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 [BGCOLOR=initial]TRANSFER R.J. Moten - second string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 TRANSFER Teradja Mitchell - second-string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 [/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]TRANSFER Graham Mertz - TERRIBLE STARTER[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Keon Zipperer - injured, likely to miss all of 2023[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Jaelin Humphries - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2019 Jaydon Hill - starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Derek Wingo - second-string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Ja'Quavion Fraziars - second string[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Ethan Pouncey - not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2020 Princely Umanmielen - starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

2021 Jason Marshall Jr. - starter, has not looked good this year
2021 Jeremiah "Scooby" Williams - starter
2021 Tyreak Sapp - starter

2021 Marcus Burke - second string
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Justus Boone - not in the 3-deep, torn ACL, out for 2023[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Gage Wilcox - not in the 3-deep, career-ending injury[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Desmond Watson - second string, can barely breathe during games[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2021 Jadarrius Perkins - second string for Game 1, in the Portal by Game 2[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Kamari Wilson - second-string behind a non-blue-chip[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Shemar James - starter[/BGCOLOR]
2022 Chris McClellan - second-string
2022 Trevor Etienne - second-string
2022 Devin Moore - second string
[BGCOLOR=initial]2022 Tony Livingston - starter[/BGCOLOR]
2022 Jamari Lyons - third string

2023 Kelby Collins - freshman third-stringer
2023 Ja'Keem Jackson - freshman second-stringer
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Aidan Mizell - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Eugene Wilson III - freshman second-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Roderick Kearney - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Dijon Johnson - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Kamran James - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Will Norman - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Jordan Castell - freshman starter[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Sharif Denson - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 T.J. Searcy - freshman second-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Gavin Hill - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Aaron Gates - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Treyaun Webb - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Caden Jones - freshman not in the 3-deep[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Andy Jean - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial][BGCOLOR=initial]2023 Bryce Thornton - freshman third-stringer[/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]
2023 Jaden Robinson - freshman third-stringer

And @flagator86 can check my mathz...

Last edited:
IMG_0737.png

In the rented stadium?! With the no fans?! They pumping artificial noise into the fake stadium? Shameful!!!

Advertisement
As were a significant number of people on this site as the recruiting losses piled up over the summer. How often have we heard "stars matter", "it's X's and O's over Jimmies and Joes", "we need elite monsters not diamonds in the rough".

All the while discounting evaluations and development. I guess some weren't paying attention in the 80's when we got good.

What do the recruiting losses over the summer have to do with the A&M game? No 2024 kid played during that game so it's completely irrelevant. We need to recruit much better in '24 and our current class is unacceptably bad, that hopefully changes but it's still the reality as of today.

The 80's are also irrelevant. Most of us either A.) weren't alive or B.) weren't old enough to really follow football in the 80's. This is before the internet was invented also, and before there even was a star system. I'm sure most of the elite players we got back then would be rated 5-stars today with modern scouting and technology.

A&M writer is just trying to cope with losing the game and having their hopes and dreams crushed. They lost because of three things - first, TVD had the best game of his career and is an insanely good QB, second, because they're one of the worst tackling teams I've ever seen, and third, because their schemes were garbage. They look like a team that barely practices.

I think if every A&M defensive lineman hit the portal tomorrow, we would offer most of them.

What do the recruiting losses over the summer have to do with the A&M game?
Didn't read the rest of post after reading the bolded. It should be clear. It has to do with the comment that Jimbo was "too enamored with the # of stars a player has vs recruiting to fit the team's needs" which I also bolded.

This seemed funny since half the board reacted to those losses as if they were also "too enamored with the # of stars a player has". At the same time, they were decrying our signings "to fit the team's needs" as "evaluation signings" as if there was something derogatory about them.

No 2024 kid played during that game so it's completely irrelevant. We need to recruit much better in '24 and our current class is unacceptably bad, that hopefully changes but it's still the reality as of today.

The 80's are also irrelevant. Most of us either A.) weren't alive or B.) weren't old enough to really follow football in the 80's. This is before the internet was invented also, and before there even was a star system. I'm sure most of the elite players we got back then would be rated 5-stars today with modern scouting and technology.

A&M writer is just trying to cope with losing the game and having their hopes and dreams crushed. They lost because of three things - first, TVD had the best game of his career and is an insanely good QB, second, because they're one of the worst tackling teams I've ever seen, and third, because their schemes were garbage. They look like a team that barely practices.

I think if every A&M defensive lineman hit the portal tomorrow, we would offer most of them.

Advertisement
Didn't read the rest of post after reading the bolded. It should be clear. It has to do with the comment that Jimbo was "too enamored with the # of stars a player has vs recruiting to fit the team's needs" which I also bolded.

This seemed funny since half the board reacted to those losses as if they were also "too enamored with the # of stars a player has". At the same time, they were decrying our signings "to fit the team's needs" as "evaluation signings" as if there was something derogatory about them.

Let's say for a moment you're right and evaluations matter more than stars. Well if Mario was landing everyone he evaluated and offered over the summer then nobody would complain about this class.

The problem is he missed on basically every DT and WR that we offered... Scott, Stone, Franklin, Simmons, Stewart, Jeremiah Smith, to name a few. So even if evaluations being more important than stars, your conclusion is still wrong because the fact is that we evaluated those players and missed on them all, and so we moved on to a lot of "Plan B" kids

Advertisement
Let's say for a moment you're right and evaluations matter more than stars.
I didn't say that. I think it's an equal consideration. It may be easier for the highly rated. But it's gets more important the farther you move away from them.
Well if Mario was landing everyone he evaluated and offered over the summer then nobody would complain about this class.
Just because Mario evaluated them and lost the recruitment doesn't mean the evaluation was wrong. It just means he lost the recruitment. They may well become All Americans.

Nonetheless, Mario has not yet demonstrated a track record of good evaluations for most of them to have confidence. It was only after A&M, I started to see some comments that maybe these are working out (mostly related to Jaden Davis, Colby Young and Cam McCormack). Portals are also subject to evaluations.

The problem is he missed on basically every DT and WR that we offered... Scott, Stone, Franklin, Simmons, Stewart, Jeremiah Smith, to name a few.
The only WR you can say we lost is Smith, not every, we did get Trader and Robinson
So even if evaluations being more important than stars, your conclusion is still wrong because the fact is that we evaluated those players and missed on them all, and so we moved on to a lot of "Plan B" kids
Again, just because we evaluated the player and lost doesn't mean the evaluations were wrong. We lost for a variety of reasons. Maybe, we misread the amount of "suck tax" we have to pay or maybe we misread their interest. It certainly wasn't for lack of effort, Mario is relentless.

Most of these "plan A" guys are well known and every bag school was on them. Most of the kids we've moved on to are also highly rated, just not as high as the first batch (there are no Luiz Cristobal's). Since there's larger pool of them, evaluations become more important. There's nothing wrong with that, the alternative is to give up.

Last edited:
The analysis of their DL is on point. It's big. It's powerful. Some really talented players on it. It's not exactly a complementary unit. Prior to the game, I thought we'd be ok in pass pro. We were. After the game, I'll continue to say I think we'll face more challenges from teams with better upfield players. Hopefully, we can run the ball against those teams, though.
They could use some Kelly's, Bain's, Lightfoot's, Rudolph's etc. Shemar is great but what does he add to their mix.

Put it this way...

Texas A&M under Jimbo has had a good 20-ish percentage points higher than us on average annually in Blue Chip roster composition. They aren't called Texas 8&4 for any ol reason either. We've been on average 7-5 over a similar period. tl;dr - those 20-ish percentage points and Jimbo Fisher is worth one more win on average than Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Manny Diaz type slop we've been trotting out there with our declining talent over 20 years.

Still, similar to Miami, Texas A&M has some horrible roster construction with an imbalance. A lot of their players really don't play up to the full potential either, again, similar to us over the years.

Advertisement
Back