Interesting take from A&M writer

Advertisement
I think there’s some diminishing returns in their shopping cart where they have multiple versions of the same thing so the sheer quantity of big sticker talent belies how much of it is on the field at any one time. I also don’t care. We played them, they lost, I kinda hate them but if they end up being good it makes us look good.

As for us, my observation is that every unit has at least one guy who is somewhere between quite good and fantastic. That’s been a good recipe for overachieving Teams. I don’t have a ton of confidence in our depth so it’s crucial that those quite good to fantastic players stay upright and then the bright spots are brighter and the holes narrower than they’ve been for us for a long time.

Ive said thus forever when recruiting rankings come out and we complain about being 12th or whatever. We’ve been getting enough to be better than we’ve been. Squad looks like it now in most places and they’re playing smart and they’re playing hard. Don’t need to be some NCAA Football 14 video game roster, just need to have 20ish guys we trust on both sides of the ball and we’re in that ballpark now.

I think both the ”championship roster” and the “TAMU doesn’t have great talent” are both overreactions to last Saturday. All of a sudden the writer is questioning who they recruited and the variability of the Dlineman? I’d like to see if he raised these issues when the class was being recruited 2 years ago. So the TAMU writer is rationalizing.
And our fan is victim of the moment. Yes if we put our top 30 against other schools we are probably pretty comparable to a top 10 team. But then we have a severe dropoff as you noted from lack of depth. At some point during the season that may catch up to us as it did in 2017 when players like Chris Herndon were injured.

I mean, this is the reasonable approach, and a spot on analysis of where we are and of the the writer, and some of our own posters, comments.

Anything can happen this season, but for things to go our way - for us to lose only a couple games, we’ve got to get every bounce, and not have a significant injury bug hit us. With the quality of depth, that is a tall order and more than just a little bit of luck.

All of a sudden the writer is questioning who they recruited and the variability of the Dlineman? I’d like to see if he raised these issues when the class was being recruited 2 years ago. So the TAMU writer is rationalizing.
An article by that writer on Sep. 6. It’s wordy, but it’s pretty clear that this is a new opinion of his as of last week:

“Miami wants to double the three tech but the size of the Aggies' nose tackles and the get off of three techs Shemar Turner and Walter Nolen could make that problematic. If they get any kind of playside penetratation at all, then things are over before they’ve begun.

A&M’s ends have a lot of length and if they can use that attribute to anchor the edge then Miami will have to spend more time on cutbacks and be unable to bounce things outside into space.

Frosh Mike backer Taurean Yorkcoordinated the defense but didn’t make many plays himself. He is going to be a work in progresss for a while.

A&M has to be gap sound on the interior and physical on the edge. The back end of the defense has to be able to defeat perimeter blocks like they did last week. They have to be able to hold their positions on the backside not just against cutbacks but also as conflict defenders on the second level reads. Bryce Anderson is really good in that role since he grades out high as an assignment player.

On the surface, A&M’s five stars should be more than a match for the Canes’ group up front. The tricks will be to maintain their run fits and tackle well, things that they struggled to do in 2022.”

Advertisement
This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as TVD and the safety's stay healthy
904a90b4-33f1-4d86-a80e-4736ca1a9d1c_text.gif

Blue chip ratio says someone on staff is an effective recruiter of players ranked highly by the recruiting services. That’s it. Have you not watched us the last 20 years?
thank you, Blue Chip ratio is great however if you do not have player development program in place its nothing more than a signing day victory

An article by that writer on Sep. 6. It’s wordy, but it’s pretty clear that this is a new opinion of his as of last week:

“Miami wants to double the three tech but the size of the Aggies' nose tackles and the get off of three techs Shemar Turner and Walter Nolen could make that problematic. If they get any kind of playside penetratation at all, then things are over before they’ve begun.

A&M’s ends have a lot of length and if they can use that attribute to anchor the edge then Miami will have to spend more time on cutbacks and be unable to bounce things outside into space.

Frosh Mike backer Taurean Yorkcoordinated the defense but didn’t make many plays himself. He is going to be a work in progresss for a while.

A&M has to be gap sound on the interior and physical on the edge. The back end of the defense has to be able to defeat perimeter blocks like they did last week. They have to be able to hold their positions on the backside not just against cutbacks but also as conflict defenders on the second level reads. Bryce Anderson is really good in that role since he grades out high as an assignment player.

On the surface, A&M’s five stars should be more than a match for the Canes’ group up front. The tricks will be to maintain their run fits and tackle well, things that they struggled to do in 2022.”
Great find. So their 5 stars should have had no problem against our Oline. Until we exposed them Saturday. But rather than give credit to UM’s Coaching and talent, now the Aggies talent and roster is mismanaged? Nonsense.
Funny thing is that many of us non-Aggie fans were saying a few years ago that their roster would be unbalanced by bringing in 5-6 Dlineman in 1 class. But none of the Aggies cared 2 years ago because they were too happy having the #1 rated recruiting class. Frankly, this was the way Larry Coker used to recruit.
But he was correct they do not tackle well on the backend. Of course that was not supposed to be a problem because we were not supposed to have any time pass.

Complete rationalization by the writer.
Great, great find.

Advertisement
This is why the "stack chips" mentality can hurt your program. Sure it looks great in the recruiting rankings if you sign the top 5 linebackers in the country but the facts are you can only play so many at one time. You're also going to neglect other areas to over-fortify one specific spot. A&M would gladly trade one of their 280lb 5 star defensive linemen for a serviceable offensive tackle.

That said, they're not a bad team. They're lightyears better than the team that went 5-7 last year. They fell off in the secondary but made a hypersonic jump in the offensive passing game. Weigman is a solid QB who can make plays and they have some really solid receivers. Now are they any better than an 8-9 win team in the SEC? Probably not. They're likely still 8-4 again but that's not trash. It's just not great.
The stack chips thinking to me makes sense if you're talking about subsequent classes. But it's not always easy. Just look at our attempts to get an OT, the good ones are all scared off because of last year's class.

What it speaks of is having balanced recruiting classes. This is also not easy if the roster has as many holes as ours did when Mario first came. I also remember a Richt quote when he first got here, "Where's all the big guys". Hence the effort to load up on DL (especially tackles) this year. We haven't had a balanced class since Butch was here. I believe we're still a year away.

First pic is the Blue Chip Ratio of the past couple championship teams. Second pic is this years top BCRsView attachment 256553View attachment 256554
I’m not saying he’s right when he says we have the talent to be title contenders… but based upon the numbers…. He’s lowkey not wrong 😂. Could very much be a LSU 2019 type year
Miami needs good luck with injuries but their ceiling is higher right now with TVD playing at this level behind a good OL than it would be with a deeper team and a QB that can't throw, this isn't a building year imo this is a go get it year.

Advertisement
Miami needs good luck with injuries but their ceiling is higher right now with TVD playing at this level behind a good OL than it would be with a deeper team and a QB that can't throw, this isn't a building year imo this is a go get it year.
Yup yup, if you notice, all the teams who won with <65% BCR (I use 65 cause that’s a passing grade in school where I’m from) had OUTSTANDING QB play.

2010 Auburn - Cam Newton
2013 FSU - Crab Leg guy
2016 Clemson - Erotic Massage guy
2018 Clemson - TLaw
2019 LSU - Joe Burrow

If we’re gonna win this year, we need TVD to continue being elite.

I got sick and tired of hearing about how much more talent Texas A&M had than us the week leading up to the game. Even after we won, some talking heads were making it seem like they should have never lost to us due to the talent gap. Well, I got news for them: There is no talent gap and these people have no clue. I don’t care what people say, I think we have a roster that can compete with anyone in the country, certainly top 5-10ish. We haven’t even unleashed some of our weapons yet, that’s the crazy part. People over here acting like we’re chopped liver and Mario ain’t been stacking talent…please.

Roster building is not the same as recruiting. I told @Dyalect79 coming back from the opener that how Cristobal has constructed the roster is masterful and that the competition is gonna bring out the best in players with potential. If u bring in 5 5 star WRs and two 6'1 Tackles. Those WRz will have no time to get open. But you will have a high composite score.

We fix the OL, the WR Gattis said were not good torched A&M. And remember our offense had problems against everyone last season.
Mario building this thing from the inside out brother! A beast Oline makes the entire offense better. We just gotta get that Dline right now too.

Advertisement
The analysis of their DL is on point. It's big. It's powerful. Some really talented players on it. It's not exactly a complementary unit. Prior to the game, I thought we'd be ok in pass pro. We were. After the game, I'll continue to say I think we'll face more challenges from teams with better upfield players. Hopefully, we can run the ball against those teams, though.
I think to support the OP, we have shown in the very small sample size so far, on offense we are balanced and can take what the defense gives us. So, yeah, I will be cautiously optimistic that moving forward we will be, at the least, competitive in all our games since we can run or pass efficiently based on the D scheme against us.

First pic is the Blue Chip Ratio of the past couple championship teams. Second pic is this years top BCRsView attachment 256553View attachment 256554
I’m not saying he’s right when he says we have the talent to be title contenders… but based upon the numbers…. He’s lowkey not wrong 😂. Could very much be a LSU 2019 type year
I see FSU is missing from that graphic. I see lots of Nole Tears coming soon when Travis is done with his 13 years in college.

"Perception: A&M is a top five team in talent.
Reality: A&M may have recruited well per recruiting rankings....However, A&M has recruited some player types and positions extremely well and others not so well. For all of the talk about how many five stars they’ve got in the defensive line, they tend to be 3/5 techs who can play one position really well. They start three stars at corner and two of them in the offensive line with a four star tackle who was rated as an interior lineman coming out of high school.
It's not across the board."

Although we don't have as many 5 stars our talent is spread out fairly well across the position groups, When you look across the position groups, we're basically playing 4 stars across the board with a few 5 stars and an occasional 3 star that Mario identified- Cooper. Then we added high level transfers that have proven themselves at the college level- Cohen, Lee, Dean, Mauigoa, Davis, Young, McCormick, Allen etc.

Even the groups we love to cry about having a lack of talent- WR, DT and Corner are littered with 4 stars.

This
High level portal guys - huge impact

Advertisement
Back