Interesting take from A&M writer

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium

"Perception: A&M is a top five team in talent.
Reality: A&M may have recruited well per recruiting rankings....However, A&M has recruited some player types and positions extremely well and others not so well. For all of the talk about how many five stars they’ve got in the defensive line, they tend to be 3/5 techs who can play one position really well. They start three stars at corner and two of them in the offensive line with a four star tackle who was rated as an interior lineman coming out of high school.
It's not across the board."

Although we don't have as many 5 stars our talent is spread out fairly well across the position groups, When you look across the position groups, we're basically playing 4 stars across the board with a few 5 stars and an occasional 3 star that Mario identified- Cooper. Then we added high level transfers that have proven themselves at the college level- Cohen, Lee, Dean, Mauigoa, Davis, Young, McCormick, Allen etc.

Even the groups we love to cry about having a lack of talent- WR, DT and Corner are littered with 4 stars.

Advertisement

Reality: A&M may have recruited well per recruiting rankings....However, A&M has recruited some player types and positions extremely well and others not so well. For all of the talk about how many five stars they’ve got in the defensive line, they tend to be 3/5 techs who can play one position really well. They start three stars at corner and two of them in the offensive line with a four star tackle who was rated as an interior lineman coming out of high school.

Although we don't have as many 5 stars our talent is spread out fairly well across the position groups, When you look across the position groups, we're basically playing 4 stars across the board with a few 5 stars and an occasional 3 star that Mario identified- Cooper. Then we added high level transfers that have proven themselves at the college level- Cohen, Lee, Dean, Mauigoa, Davis, Young, McCormick, Allen etc.

Even the groups we love to cry about having a lack of talent- WR, DT and Corner are littered with 4 stars.

Attn: 247 Sports

A coach who was worth a **** would win with A&M's roster

Excuse GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement

The analysis of their DL is on point. It's big. It's powerful. Some really talented players on it. It's not exactly a complementary unit. Prior to the game, I thought we'd be ok in pass pro. We were. After the game, I'll continue to say I think we'll face more challenges from teams with better upfield players. Hopefully, we can run the ball against those teams, though.

Talent retention is on the coach. The recruiting at other positions has been fine. He fails to mention that they lost two 4 stars and a 5 star to the transfer portal. To replace them they brought in two four star corners. Dude is full of **** and making excuses.

The analysis of their DL is on point. It's big. It's powerful. Some really talented players on it. It's not exactly a complementary unit. Prior to the game, I thought we'd be ok in pass pro. We were. After the game, I'll continue to say I think we'll face more challenges from teams with better upfield players. Hopefully, we can run the ball against those teams, though.
Also they lost a TON from #1 pass defense last year. I said before the game, they lost a couple guys to NFL and the guys in a program you would hope inherit those positions, many of them bailed to transfer portal to LSU, Duke, Hou, etc. To lose that many guys and have to start Boston College nickle back makes you wonder a little bit..

This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as everyone stay healthy

FIFY

100%. I think we'll struggle against those speed rush ends as that will really tough for Rivers and FM.

Advertisement

Reminds me of what Josh Pate said about FSU. He said they're well below the blue chip ratio but what they've done well is spread out their talents instead of being strong in one area and weak in another. Interesting way to look at roster building. It's crazy how much Miami improved it's weaknesses in one offseason. OL, LB, and CB look completely different.

This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as TVD and the safety's stay healthy

This is the kind of post that then results in people having meltdowns when their expectations aren’t met.

We are still looking at a 9-3 team, more or less. Preseason I had us at 8–4, I’m leaning more towards 9–3, since we’ve beaten Texas A&M. But we are super ******* thin in terms of 2-3 deep talent. A lot of good starters, but the injury bug can put a BIG knife in our back.

Get a hold of yourself saying this is a “championship roster“. That’s about as delusional as you can get.

Advertisement

Roster building is not the same as recruiting. I told @Dyalect79 coming back from the opener that how Cristobal has constructed the roster is masterful and that the competition is gonna bring out the best in players with potential. If u bring in 5 5 star WRs and two 6'1 Tackles. Those WRz will have no time to get open. But you will have a high composite score.

We fix the OL, the WR Gattis said were not good torched A&M. And remember our offense had problems against everyone last season.

This is the kind of post that then results in people having meltdowns when their expectations aren’t met.

We are still looking at a 9-3 team, more or less. Preseason I had us at 8–4, I’m leaning more towards 9–3, since we’ve beaten Texas A&M. But we are super ******* thin in terms of 2-3 deep talent. A lot of good starters, but the injury bug can put a BIG knife in our back.

Get a hold of yourself saying this is a “championship roster“. That’s about as delusional as you can get.
Blue Chip ratio says we are. Championship level means there isn't a team in the country we can't beat. Doesn't mean we will.

Barring injury, 10-2 is worst case in my opinion.

Seemed like part of the reason we didn't run the ball maybe like we expected and completely shut down their pass rush. They have a bunch of SDE/3T types and few if any twitchy/bendy edge guys.

Advertisement
Interesting question: what would Mario and his staff do if they woke up one morning and found themselves in charge at College Station?

Blue Chip ratio says we are. Championship level means there isn't a team in the country we can't beat. Doesn't mean we will.

Barring injury, 10-2 is worst case in my opinion.

Blue chip ratio says we are a championship team? Where the **** are you getting that from?

You’re either a troll or suffering from delusions.

I can't see how a team can truly load up against the run given what TvD did to A&M. I think we can run against double high safety, which we will see more of from here on out.

Advertisement
Back