Interesting take from A&M writer

This is the kind of post that then results in people having meltdowns when their expectations aren’t met.

We are still looking at a 9-3 team, more or less. Preseason I had us at 8–4, I’m leaning more towards 9–3, since we’ve beaten Texas A&M. But we are super ******* thin in terms of 2-3 deep talent. A lot of good starters, but the injury bug can put a BIG knife in our back.

Get a hold of yourself saying this is a “championship roster“. That’s about as delusional as you can get.
I picked 8-4 as well and are probably aligned with you. But with all due respect every single team in the ACC is operating under similar conditions if theor starters go down. We cant lose TVD, James or Kam.

Everywhere else we can manage for a game or two as shown when 3/4 of our starting DL went out.

If Maye, Klubnik or Travis go out. Those teams respectively are in the same boat as us with TVD. But im sure they are not super deep at all positions except QB.

Advertisement
This is a championship level roster and team we have. As long as TVD and the safety's stay healthy
No, it isn't. Not by the standard metrics. Can lightning be caught in a bottle?, sure it happens, but we are still a ways off at DL, corner, linebacker...huge improvements in these areas so far, but do we have the depth to get where we want to go?

There is a reason top notch $EC schools don't think aTm are the next coming and we are acting like we just won the Super Bowl.

Let's do this thing week in and week out for at least half the season before we hand ourselves any trophies.

Blue chip ratio says we are a championship team? Where the **** are you getting that from?

You’re either a troll or suffering from delusions.
I'm saying this roster is of such a level that the capability to win a championship is something that is on the table. The caliber is in the ball park. We aren't, "... A championship team," until we win a championship. I don't think there's a team in the ACC that is beyond our grasp. A realistic shot at a conference championship would mean that we have a championship level roster. The ACC is probably on par with the SEC this year. So thinking we could run the ACC isn't far from saying we could run any conference. So championship level roster I think applies on a national level as well.

I picked 8-4 as well and are probably aligned with you. But with all due respect every single team in the ACC is operating under similar conditions if theor starters go down. We cant lose TVD, James or Kam.

Everywhere else we can manage for a game or two as shown when 3/4 of our starting DL went out.

If Maye, Klubnik or Travis go out. Those teams respectively are in the same boat as us with TVD. But im sure they are not super deep at all positions except QB.

Dude said we’re a championship team. He actually said this.

I'm saying this roster is of such a level that the capability to win a championship is something that is on the table. ….

“Capability to win a championship”. You’re still suffering from delusions. We don’t have the depth. Championship teams have depth. You are really setting it up to have a meltdown later, aren’t you?

Advertisement
Sad No Way GIF by Tennis TV

Blue Chip ratio says we are. Championship level means there isn't a team in the country we can't beat. Doesn't mean we will.

Barring injury, 10-2 is worst case in my opinion.
10-2 is never worst case. We'll be the underdog in at least two of our games. (Clemson, FSU) then you still have UNC, road trip to NC State, and Louisville will be tough later in the season. Injuries happen. Bad bounces happen.

Season is a marathon and this staff has only had 1.5 years to build the roster. It's been impressive but it's not complete or deep yet

Advertisement
This is the kind of post that then results in people having meltdowns when their expectations aren’t met.

We are still looking at a 9-3 team, more or less. Preseason I had us at 8–4, I’m leaning more towards 9–3, since we’ve beaten Texas A&M. But we are super ******* thin in terms of 2-3 deep talent. A lot of good starters, but the injury bug can put a BIG knife in our back.

Get a hold of yourself saying this is a “championship roster“. That’s about as delusional as you can get.
I think both the ”championship roster” and the “TAMU doesn’t have great talent” are both overreactions to last Saturday. All of a sudden the writer is questioning who they recruited and the variability of the Dlineman? I’d like to see if he raised these issues when the class was being recruited 2 years ago. So the TAMU writer is rationalizing.
And our fan is victim of the moment. Yes if we put our top 30 against other schools we are probably pretty comparable to a top 10 team. But then we have a severe dropoff as you noted from lack of depth. At some point during the season that may catch up to us as it did in 2017 when players like Chris Herndon were injured.

"Perception: A&M is a top five team in talent.
Reality: A&M may have recruited well per recruiting rankings....However, A&M has recruited some player types and positions extremely well and others not so well. For all of the talk about how many five stars they’ve got in the defensive line, they tend to be 3/5 techs who can play one position really well. They start three stars at corner and two of them in the offensive line with a four star tackle who was rated as an interior lineman coming out of high school.
It's not across the board."

Although we don't have as many 5 stars our talent is spread out fairly well across the position groups, When you look across the position groups, we're basically playing 4 stars across the board with a few 5 stars and an occasional 3 star that Mario identified- Cooper. Then we added high level transfers that have proven themselves at the college level- Cohen, Lee, Dean, Mauigoa, Davis, Young, McCormick, Allen etc.

Even the groups we love to cry about having a lack of talent- WR, DT and Corner are littered with 4 stars.

most schools except for top tier, look a lot like TAMU or for that matter Miami, . why, oh why does everyone lose sight of the fact
of how critical player development is in process. FWIW same with Portal identify and scout measurable and where he fits in your program

Blue Chip ratio says we are. Championship level means there isn't a team in the country we can't beat. Doesn't mean we will.

Barring injury, 10-2 is worst case in my opinion.
Blue chip ratio says someone on staff is an effective recruiter of players ranked highly by the recruiting services. That’s it. Have you not watched us the last 20 years?

Advertisement
Interesting question: what would Mario and his staff do if they woke up one morning and found themselves in charge at College Station?

This brings up the question: does ATM have a culture problem?

Thus, my answer would be Mario would likely figure out which kids aren't willing to work hard for the team and quickly rework the roster.

I think both the ”championship roster” and the “TAMU doesn’t have great talent” are both overreactions to last Saturday. All of a sudden the writer is questioning who they recruited and the variability of the Dlineman? I’d like to see if he raised these issues when the class was being recruited 2 years ago. So the TAMU writer is rationalizing.
And our fan is victim of the moment. Yes if we put our top 30 against other schools we are probably pretty comparable to a top 10 team. But then we have a severe dropoff as you noted from lack of depth. At some point during the season that may catch up to us as it did in 2017 when players like Chris Herndon were injured.
depth issue scares me the most this year(Dean & mesidor).....Fletcher concussion will be ok but cannot afford a break down in depth

Advertisement
depth issue scares me the most this year(Dean & mesidor).....Fletcher concussion will be ok but cannot afford a break down in depth
Correct, and as with all teams, especially at certain positions. We don’t have great Dline depth, the LB’s would be a big drop off if Kiki was hurt, safety without question if we lose Kam or James. I worry about WR but I think Horton probably can be more of a factor but I don’t want to lose any of the top 3.
We can’t lose Matt Lee.
And TVD maybe the most obvious answer.

This is why the "stack chips" mentality can hurt your program. Sure it looks great in the recruiting rankings if you sign the top 5 linebackers in the country but the facts are you can only play so many at one time. You're also going to neglect other areas to over-fortify one specific spot. A&M would gladly trade one of their 280lb 5 star defensive linemen for a serviceable offensive tackle.

That said, they're not a bad team. They're lightyears better than the team that went 5-7 last year. They fell off in the secondary but made a hypersonic jump in the offensive passing game. Weigman is a solid QB who can make plays and they have some really solid receivers. Now are they any better than an 8-9 win team in the SEC? Probably not. They're likely still 8-4 again but that's not trash. It's just not great.

Advertisement
Back