Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

No you’re not really making a case for Mario to come to Miami.

You’re making a case for deluding yourself in the thinking there’s some decent probability chance we can land him. That’s the only case that’s being made here.

That actual case needs to be made by people that are trying to influence him.

This thread doesn’t influence anybody, other than deluding people here into thinking we have a better than 50% shot of getting him.

I would say the odds start somewhere south of 10%.
What inside information are you basing this number on? He may come, he may not come, but your 10% number is a guess just like the 50% number.

Advertisement
I'm sure somebody already has the numbers so I'll ask instead of looking it up. What is the total cost of buying out Manny + staff along with buying out Mario + the guys he'd most likely bring along? It's gotta be near $15M, which is absolutely beaucoup money for Miami standards.

We're really ready to splurge like this? As well as spending another $12M-$15M annually for Mario and his Cuban Mafia?

First of all, I’m not your bud.

Secondly, find the post where I said his chances of coming here are equal to zero.

Finally, I didn’t see any posts were any of these guys that actually know him say that there’s even a decent chance of him coming here.

Being interested, which is natural because it’s your alma mater, or listening, is not the same as making the decision to come because it’s best for your career.

But you go on and keep on with your delusion you’ll be crying when he doesn’t come, saying that we didn’t offer enough or whatever nonsense comes into your head.
Man are you insufferable, this is a message board, what is wrong with fans hoping/believing that their team will hire a quality coach? I seriously doubt that any grown man on this board is going to cry if we don't hire Mario.

In Helfrich's first 3 season he was 33-8. He also played in the National Championship in year two.

In season 4 Helfrich went 4-8. Helfrich was immediately fired after that season. What does that tell you? That Oregon is dead serious about their program and takes accountability seriously.

Yeah maybe the Taggert hire was a bad one and they followed that up with what could have been the same mistake they made in Helfrich. But it looks to be working out okay. And you can't tell me that the Oregon program over the last 15-20 years hasn't been a more successful program. They've played 2 national championship games over the last 10 years and since 2000, Oregon has like the 8th most wins of any university out there.

Obviously Miami is the more storied University but over the last few decades it's very clear that Oregon has built the more stable program.
A school who has the money and resources of Oregon should never have to hire Willie Taggert but that shows you what the perception is of that job. I would argue a school like Oregon shouldnt have had to hire someone like Mario Christobal at the time. Yeah hes a hot name NOW. But back then he was a joke. CIS posters clowned him to no end because of his FIU stint. Posters didnt want to touch him with a 10ft pole but Oregon was happy to have him.

Come on, look if folks want to make the argument that Mario is staying because he just doesnt want to come here, then so be it. But nobody will convince me that Oregon is this hot destination spot and elite HCs are anxiously waiting for Mario to come here so they can put their bid in to replace him. There is a reason why they attract middle of the road coaches. And nobody will convince me that its a better job then UM. I dont care how much money and resources they have and clearly elite HCs agree with me since they have never attracted one even in the rumor mill. Its clear why we dont attract elite HCs. And its been clear for some time now.

I'm sure somebody already has the numbers so I'll ask instead of looking it up. What is the total cost of buying out Manny + staff along with buying out Mario + the guys he'd most likely bring along? It's gotta be near $15M, which is absolutely beaucoup money for Miami standards.

We're really ready to splurge like this? As well as spending another $12M-$15M annually for Mario and his Cuban Mafia?

well the number reported is 8 for Manny. I doubt its 8 bc I doubt we fire him in season. it drops if we wait till the season ends. obviously, we could come to an agreement on a. buyout number to lower it possibly but unlikely. I don't believe the assistant buyouts should be that crazy since some are on 2 year deals at most (id venture to guess T rob lashlee Simpson)

Marios buyout after mid jan is 6.5.

Advertisement
A school who has the money and resources of Oregon should never have to hire Willie Taggert but that shows you what the perception is of that job. I would argue a school like Oregon shouldnt have had to hire someone like Mario Christobal at the time. Yeah hes a hot name NOW. But back then he was a joke. CIS posters clowned him to no end because of his FIU stint. Posters didnt want to touch him with a 10ft pole but Oregon was happy to have him.

Come on, look if folks want to make the argument that Mario is staying because he just doesnt want to come here, then so be it. But nobody will convince me that Oregon is this hot destination spot and elite HCs are anxiously waiting for Mario to come here so they can put their bid in to replace him. There is a reason why they attract middle of the road coaches. And nobody will convince me that its a better job then UM. I dont care how much money and resources they have and clearly elite HCs agree with me since they have never attracted one even in the rumor mill. Its clear why we dont attract elite HCs. And its been clear for some time now.
uM isn't attracting elite HCs either

uM isn't attracting elite HCs either
Yeah I know. I said that in my last sentence. And its clear why now after all these years. We dont care about football anymore. But at least we know that. Whats Oregons excuse? They clearly care. 130M investment for an IPF? Yeah thats caring. But ill bet if Mario leaves and takes the UM job they wont attract a primetime HC. The word is out, its not a good job. No recruiting base to recruit from. If USC is up, Cali is closed off to them. People in Oregon care about football but arent really passionate about it. Alot of factors are there for why Oregon hasnt been able to attract an elite HC even though they have all the money and resources. It wouldnt shock me if the "Mario to UM" rumors start to really get heat that they overpay for him to stay. (8M a year type money)

Yeah I know. I said that in my last sentence. And its clear why now after all these years. We dont care about football anymore. But at least we know that. Whats Oregons excuse? They clearly care. 130M investment for an IPF? Yeah thats caring. But ill bet if Mario leaves and takes the UM job they wont attract a primetime HC. The word is out, its not a good job. No recruiting base to recruit from. If USC is up, Cali is closed off to them. People in Oregon care about football but arent really passionate about it. Alot of factors are there for why Oregon hasnt been able to attract an elite HC even though they have all the money and resources. It wouldnt shock me if the "Mario to UM" rumors start to really get heat that they overpay for him to stay. (8M a year type money)
we never cared. we just got lucky tbh. the model changed and we kept doing it the same way. the Miami is in a. recruiting hot bed method of doing things doesn't work anymore.

Advertisement
A bunch of coaches Miami would never even be interested in, so it’s irrelevant.

Tbh for most Canes fans sake I wouldn’t really listen to me, I’m not really in the same groove as most of yall are at this point, I 100% believe that the solution to our problems is less Miami & not more Miami.

Meaning, I don’t think overcrowding the program with nothing but former Canes is gonna be a good thing in the long run, it will definitely get everyone excited, but I just mostly believe the whole hiring the Hometown Hero of the Alma Mater HC thing is mostly a wash in college football (when it comes to major programs). Sure there are exceptions to the rule like Ed O & Mike Gundy, but if we’re being honest we all know Orgeron wasn’t really the main catalyst for that 2019 title run, it was Joe Brady’s Offense & LSU’s high powered roster built with the best booster bag money could buy, every time LSU has won a Natty within the last decade it always ended pretty nasty with whoever their HC was because the only way they can ever muster up enough tonnage to box it out with Bama is to cheat to the high Heavens & then hope the penalties on the backend don’t last too long...

I’m more than likely gonna be a stand alone on an island with this one if Mario is the next HC, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out the way everyone else does, but that’s just me. And besides, I’m wrong most of the time anyway so don’t put too much thought into what I say lol.
LCE,

Are you willing to provide a short list of candidates you would advocate for? I agree that the next HC having prior Miami ties is irrelevant

the bigger problem we have is that we have a bunch of very wealthy and successful businessmen who know their industry and work very well but don't know a **** thing about football. they should hire a competent AD and allow the competent AD to do his work.

if employees of these BOT had committed the level of incompetency and negligence in their businesses, they would have been fired. said differently, the BOT should be fired (if it were possible) for their gross negligence over the course of the last 15 years.

Taggart wasn't hired because they had no other options and were turned down by everybody. Taggert had a decent reputation back then and was hot off a 10-2 season at USF. Obviously he's trash now but back then it was a hire that they felt was the right one.

You're also confusing Miami perception with national perception. We clowned on Mario but the rest of the country didn't.

I'm also not saying that Oregon is a hot spot for elite HCs. But I am saying they have been more successful than us in recent years and are viewed as a better destination than us at the moment. Now if we can get our sh*t together then there's no doubt that Miami > Oregon all day any day. But as of now we're a mess and the rest of the country realizes that.

Advertisement
the bigger problem we have is that we have a bunch of very wealthy and successful businessmen who know their industry and work very well but don't know a **** thing about football. they should hire a competent AD and allow the competent AD to do his work.

if employees of these BOT had committed the level of incompetency and negligence in their businesses, they would have been fired. said differently, the BOT should be fired (if it were possible) for their gross negligence over the course of the last 15 years.
It's like everything else in South Florida... everyone wants to be seen and heard. In the SEC, the money people largely donate and stay away unless things go awry. There are a few donors here and there that want to be included (Haslam family at Tennessee, Jimmy Rane at Auburn, Paul Bryant at Alabama, Leeburn at Georgia), but it is not like at Miami where this many people, many of whom don't know and don't care, want to be part of the process to feel like they are special.

Mario is Kirby smart. But instead of defense you get good OL play. They are very similar

Kirby Smart was hired in 2016:

Overall record: 59-14 (Miami's record since 2016: 42-27)
Division championships: 3 in 5 seasons (Miami has 1)
Conference championships: 1 in 5 seasons (Miami has 0 and none since 2003)
Playoff appearances: 1 in 5 seasons (Miami has 0)
National championship appearances: 1 in 5 season (Miami has 0)
Bowl wins: 4 in 5 seasons including the Rose Bowl which was part of the CFP in 2017 (Miami has 1)

Yeah, I think I'd take Kirby Cristobal here.

Could you imagine if the team not coming to help James Williams in the endzone would of happened under Mario? Dude would of had a conniption on the sideline. That's the type of energy we need.

Advertisement
Y’all better to listen to the coaches I say Will be a good fit at Miami….

Go back and look. I negged The diaz hire immediately and brought out how is defense performs in most big games when they hired him…

Cristobal I said He was the coach Miami needed years ago

One of the only ones on the board clamoring for Ed orgeron after his stint with usc and look at that, he won a National title years later

Another name I’ve been clamoring for is lane kiffin, he fits Miami to a tee and is exactly what we need.

Cristobal and kiffin are my top 2

Taggart wasn't hired because they had no other options and were turned down by everybody. Taggert had a decent reputation back then and was hot off a 10-2 season at USF. Obviously he's trash now but back then it was a hire that they felt was the right one.

You're also confusing Miami perception with national perception. We clowned on Mario but the rest of the country didn't.

I'm also not saying that Oregon is a hot spot for elite HCs. But I am saying they have been more successful than us in recent years and are viewed as a better destination than us at the moment. Now if we can get our sh*t together then there's no doubt that Miami > Oregon all day any day. But as of now we're a mess and the rest of the country realizes that.
My only point is that a school like Oregon when their HC gig opens up should be attracting the same candidates as LSU, OSU, **** TAMU. For some reason, that hasnt happened. They are attracting the same level of HC as we are. There is a reason why that is.

But my main point is that if Mario wants to stay at Oregon, good riddance. He has an opportunity to do something really special here. But if he doesnt, he will regret it just like Howard did and Butch did decades later. Ive never heard Taggert or Chip Kelly say they regretted leaving Oregon. Just saying. But I digress. Whatever happens, we will get our answer in the next 60 days or so.

My only point is that a school like Oregon when their HC gig opens up should be attracting the same candidates as LSU, OSU, **** TAMU. For some reason, that hasnt happened. They are attracting the same level of HC as we are. There is a reason why that is.

But my main point is that if Mario wants to stay at Oregon, good riddance. He has an opportunity to do something really special here. But if he doesnt, he will regret it just like Howard did and Butch did decades later. Ive never heard Taggert or Chip Kelly say they regretted leaving Oregon. Just saying. But I digress. Whatever happens, we will get our answer in the next 60 days or so.
That’s because the coaches that take then leave Oregon don’t blab about why they leave. I’m guessing the job gets difficult to win on a national level

I don't feel Mario ever gets us a title, but I do feel he could bring us off life support - which I'll take.

He could certainly win the ACC.

This is my take.

I mean...we can nitpick the bad losses...but the resume is rock solid. He is not Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Brian Kelly, etc. But he's several tiers above Coker, Shannon, Golden, Manny Diaz and even washed Richt.

Advertisement
Back