RB’s - Brandon Cuevas
TE’s - Dan Hernandez
OL’s - Alex Mirabal

DC/S’s - Ephraim Banda
LB’s - Willie Martinez
OLB’s - Austin Ybarra
CB’s - Paul Gonzales
ST’s - Peter Davila

Frank Ponce, Marcus Arroyo & James Coley were all offered the OC spot but turned it down due to contract disputes.
Good God what is this and where’s the DL coach? And what the **** is Banda doing there? You know how this place rolls:

HC- Mario
OC/QB’s - Ken Dorsey
WR - Lamar Thomas
OL - Alex Mirabal
TE - Chud

DL - Kevin Patrick
LB - Michael Barrow
CB - D. Van Dyke
S/DC - Ed Reed

ST - Any other Cane will do.

Advertisement
Good God what is this and where’s the DL coach? And what the **** is Banda doing there? You know how this place rolls:

HC- Mario
OC/QB’s - Ken Dorsey
WR - Lamar Thomas
OL - Alex Mirabal
TE - Chud

DL - Kevin Patrick
LB - Michael Barrow
CB - D. Van Dyke
S/DC - Ed Reed

ST - Any other Cane will do.
Hester for ST. Huerta for ST/Analyst

He can still send one of his handlers to give us the word. **** send his brother Luis to give us the message. And if hes knocking at the door of a national title, we are toast anyway. I dont think a head coach has ever left a team for another one in any sport..college, pro or even womens sport..after winning or at least playing for a national title. So I guess we are all banking on Mario slipping up one more time I guess. (shrugs)

Scott Frost

Advertisement
I don’t see it that way.

Those types of emotional arguments used to persuade will not work.

The only way he comes is if his perception is that his situation at Oregon will be worse if he stays, but better at Miami. How likely is that?

What is the probability that someone will come to that logical conclusion at the end of the season?

It would take a near improbable set of circumstances for someone to think that Miami is a better job than Oregon at the end of this season. Even for a cane alum and someone that loves the canes.

It doesn’t have to be better.
It just has to be close enough that it’s not career suicide.

If this thread serves one purpose it'll at least get the Duck fanbase's jimmies ALL rustled when I plant it on their boards after Luigi loses to UCLA on Saturday. They'll see he was apparently here twice recently and will add this distraction of him theoretically being interested in our job to whatever preexisting angst they have about Luigi as a gameday corch.

That humor aside, one reason I'd actually be FOR a Luigi hire is that it would absolutely settle any debate about two notions.

The first would be simple as it would show whether Luigi is indeed a master recruiter and can consistently recruit at an elite level disirregardless or locale or even win-loss record (at first).

I'm inclined to think he'd at minimum at least start off killing it recruiting. So that would then settle the second debate- Can you overcome gameday corching in South Florida if you can simply stack massive talent (primarily local kids that were leaving prior). Is South Florida at such an advantage as a recruiting hotbed that a recruiting maven could prove that "It's about the Jimmys and the Joes and not the x's and o's"?

I think the pro and con Butch comparisons are most accurate. Does that coaching model work here almost 25 years later and in a different CFB landscape? Despite my longtime anti-Luigi vitriol, I honestly don't know. I would like to see a new competent AD see whatever total amount of money it would cost to get him from Oregon though and produce a list of what other coaches that amount would get too. We absolutely shouldn't be only able to "break the bank" for one guy or else the alternative is to go cheap on an up-and-comer.

If Dalvin Cook and Teddy Bridgewater sign with Miami Al Golden might still be your coach…

I'm not a big Mario fan - I think there are far more talented HCs out there - but most of you think he'd be great and evidently certain BOTs have such a hardon for him that they'll pay his buyout themselves.

**** it, why not. He's much, much better than what we've got.

What coaches are those?

It is a start to bigger and better things. We will run Mario out after 3-4 years just like all the others if we are not NC in 3-4 years.

I hope we’ve learned over this run of mediocrity that the landscaped has changed. And appreciate the importance of winning your conference and being in the playoff hunt every year.

Advertisement
The concern isn't just bad losses. It is the consistency in which his teams are in tight games against overmatched opponents when a break here or there can decide the game. You're ripping off Dabo, Carroll and Saban's losses in games against teams they shouldn't have lost to. Now go look at the number of times this supposedly elite roster that Mario has is in tight games with the dregs of the Pac 12 deep into the 3rd and 4th quarters. Thats an issue. Why are your teams always playing down to the competition? Carroll's number of 6 is over a 9 season span. Mario has already lost 5 times to an unranked opponent while being ranked and he's in the middle of his 4th season. Two of those were when Oregon was ranked in the top 10

Don't twist the argument and make it about perfection. No one is asking for perfection. We're asking for a coach to not to play a brand of football or have a football team that makes us want to throw up because GT is driving late with a chance to win much like Cal was last week. Certainly asking for it to not be a feature of his career as opposed to a bug. You couple that with his inability to manage late situations and you got a real problem. Credit to him for beating Ohio State. Almost all of that gets washed away by losing to Stanford.

Oh and Mario has been a HC for almost 10 seasons. Whats he gonna learn at Miami in years 11-13 that are gonna fix his correctable mistakes?
Great post. While Mario would immediately improve certain aspects of the football team such as toughness, recruiting, Oline play, etc., you make excellent arguments on why we should all temper our enthusiasm and expectations. Mario might be significantly better than Manny, but he is far from a guarantee (and that might be okay and the best we can expect given the current status of the program).

More reason why we should hire a new AD first and let that individual make this decision. You hire the right person as AD and you let him/her do their job. My confidence and excitement over the selection of a new HC will be directly linked and dependent on the person making the hiring decision.

Marcus Lemonis publicly wanted Cristobol to replace Al Golden. He has the money to get Mario if need be.

A bunch of coaches Miami would never even be interested in, so it’s irrelevant.

Tbh for most Canes fans sake I wouldn’t really listen to me, I’m not really in the same groove as most of yall are at this point, I 100% believe that the solution to our problems is less Miami & not more Miami.

Meaning, I don’t think overcrowding the program with nothing but former Canes is gonna be a good thing in the long run, it will definitely get everyone excited, but I just mostly believe the whole hiring the Hometown Hero of the Alma Mater HC thing is mostly a wash in college football (when it comes to major programs). Sure there are exceptions to the rule like Ed O & Mike Gundy, but if we’re being honest we all know Orgeron wasn’t really the main catalyst for that 2019 title run, it was Joe Brady’s Offense & LSU’s high powered roster built with the best booster bag money could buy, every time LSU has won a Natty within the last decade it always ended pretty nasty with whoever their HC was because the only way they can ever muster up enough tonnage to box it out with Bama is to cheat to the high Heavens & then hope the penalties on the backend don’t last too long...

I’m more than likely gonna be a stand alone on an island with this one if Mario is the next HC, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out the way everyone else does, but that’s just me. And besides, I’m wrong most of the time anyway so don’t put too much thought into what I say lol.
I’m just glad your back from your hiatus and would argue you’re right a helluva lot more than wrong.

The countless threads and posts throwing stuff on the wall and hoping someone sticks as a potential HC candidate have become tiresome and was always irrelevant. The best we can hope for is the powers that be (especially the BOT) are fully engaged, do an extensive and exhaustive search, and make an informed, unbiased (no Miami ties) selection without any influence from the current (hopefully lame duck) AD.

Great post. While Mario would immediately improve certain aspects of the football team such as toughness, recruiting, Oline play, etc., you make excellent arguments on why we should all temper our enthusiasm and expectations. Mario might be significantly better than Manny, but he is far from a guarantee (and that might be okay and the best we can expect given the current status of the program).

More reason why we should hire a new AD first and let that individual make this decision. You hire the right person as AD and you let him/her do their job. My confidence and excitement over the selection of a new HC will be directly linked and dependent on the person making the hiring decision.
How’s that any diff than what smart does at uga? He’s outrecruited to the point where who his qb is doesn’t matter. I think Mario can do the same. Though you’re right AD should be first.

Advertisement
As the insiders for recruiting have said, kids down here don’t care. You’re better off being the out if state program than the local coach
If Miami wins recruiting will happen and happen big.

Manny is a meh recruiter and finished In the 10-12 range the last couple years. With multiple five stars, now add Mario and subtract manny.

Last edited:
If Miami won recruiting will happen. Manny is a meh recruiter and finished In the 10-12 range the last couple years. With multiple dive stars, now add Mario and subtract manny.
Agree I think people overrate game day coaching I’d rather stack talent. Saban’s record is barely above .500 in games decided by 8 points or less.

Advertisement
How’s that any diff than what smart does at uga? He’s outrecruited to the point where who his qb is doesn’t matter. I think Mario can do the same. Though you’re right AD should be first.
I'm not anti-Mario. I just want a competent experienced AD or Head of Football Operations to evaluate candidates and hire the best person for the role. I was skeptical when Sam Jankovitch hired JJ. However, when he replaced JJ with Erickson I had zero concerns. Why? Because he had already shown me that he was capable and competent in his job.

JJ was coaching at Oklahoma State with a mediocre resume and played college ball at Arkansas. Yet, he transformed the program. He then plucked Erickson from Washington State. They were both innovative and the right individuals at the time to lead our program. He could have promoted Olividatti or Gary Stevens or hired a former player. He didn't give a crap what fans thought or what former players wanted. He knew his **** was on the line and he made the hires. We need somebody like that.

And, if such a person believes Mario is the guy then bring his **** home!

Last edited:
You guys are right in the middle of groupthink deluding yourselves.

The psychology of this is just really interesting watching it happen in real time.
I think it's really interesting watching you makeup some completely obscure and random narrative and then post about it non-stop in this thread.

We have multiple people here literally telling us he's interested and they know what they're talking about. It's clearly not a for sure thing but there's a real chance of it happening. And Oregon doesn't have to become "toxic" (i have no idea where this thought came from BTW, makes no sense) for Miami to have a shot. MIAMI has the control to bring in a real AD, make a financial commitment, and then try to seal the deal after making the job more attractive.

Oregon is a good job but it's NOT even close to as good of a job as you're making it out to be.

I'm not anti-Mario. I just want a competent experienced AD or Head of Football Operations to evaluate candidates and hire the best person for the role. I was skeptical when Sam Jankovitch hired JJ. However, when he replaced JJ with Erickson I had zero concerns. Why? Because he had already shown mean that he was capable and competent in his job.

JJ was coaching at Oklahoma State with a mediocre resume and played college ball at Arkansas. Yet, he transformed the program. He then plucked Erickson from Washington State. They were both innovative and the right individuals at the time to lead our program. He could have promoted Olividatti or Gary Stevens or hired a former player. He didn't give a crap what fans thought or what former players wanted. He knew his **** was on the line and he made the hires. We need somebody like that.

And, if such a person believes Mario is the guy then bring his **** home!
I hear you but times are diff. You’re not poaching even a mediocre power 5 head coach. Even at Baylor or Iowa state

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
Great stat, Rich had a 75% winning stat as an SEC coach, but couldn't beat Alabama. But he too was known for loosing games he was supposed to dominate, that infuriated GA fans more than not beating Bama.

Advertisement
Back