Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I actually think Urbie is the more versatile college coach than Sabag. Not that he's better when either are in their most compatible settings but that Urbie could go anywhere in the country and have an elite level of college success (before he gets "health issues") whereas I don't think Sabag necessarily could match his SEC level of success at let's say a USC or a Pedo State or even here.

Their biographies bear out what you’re saying.

Advertisement
This. Those that are from here (Miami) know that most people either hate it (or at least they say they do and say they want to move but rarely do) or couldn’t see themselves living anywhere else. I think the allure of being back home in front of your community means a lot. At least it would to me.

We’ve had “Miami guys” as coaches but none that check as many of the boxes as Mario.

1. Randy- native, alum, 1 NC as player, long time Miami assistant coach and coordinator, no HC experience.

2. Richt- Boca guy (not Miami proper-for those that say you’re from Miami in college but are from Delray), alum, player, No NC, successful SEC HC. Best thing we’ve had in the last 20 years.

3. Manolo- Miami native, did not play CFB (don’t know if he played HS really), FSU alum, has spent the majority of his adult life outside of Miami, 3 years as UM DC, no HC experience.

4. Cristobal???- Miami Native (de wechehte), 2 NCs as player, 3 stints as a coach at Miami (technically 4 but we all know what happened) , FIU head coach, Now Oregon HC. Not to mention his time under Saban and Butch as an assistant and JJ and Erickson as a player.

We don’t necessarily need a “Miami Guy” but none of our previous “Miami guys” have the overall pedigree Mario does with the exception of Richt’s coaching experience.

Manny is Catalina croquetas. Mario is Islas Canarias croquetas. Nothing against Catalina, but iykyk.

Being the kind of Miami guy you’re talking about will have nothing to do with the next coach’s success.

We need someone that first of all that can actually coach football, and just as importantly we need someone that can recruit this specific market, especially when going up against money bagged SEC kkklan recruiters.

The rest of it is just window dressing. None of our national championship winning coaches were “Miami guys“. That’s not needed. What’s needed or success factors in the areas that lead you to success.

One thing to say about Mario a former OL himself .. His OL are mean, violent … Great ones!

IF He can accomplish that at UM ( I believe he can ) ..our beloved CANES will be 50% BETTER instantly and beating bunch of acc mofos.

if he brings that physicality to the the whole team.. our beloved CANES will be 80% better instantly and in good battles with TOP 10 teams
That is honestly one of the main reasons I’d be all for Mario. Any chance to return to the upper tier of college football starts along the lines. It’s where we have the greatest potential for improvement in the short term.

Being the kind of Miami guy you’re talking about will have nothing to do with the next coach’s success.

We need someone that first of all that can actually coach football, and just as importantly we need someone that can recruit this specific market, especially when going up against money bagged SEC kkklan recruiters.

The rest of it is just window dressing. None of our national championship winning coaches were “Miami guys“. That’s not needed. What’s needed or success factors in the areas that lead you to success.
Agreed 100%. I’m looking at it from the opposite angle though. The kind of Miami guy I’m saying Mario is is not what Miami needs to win, it’s what may motivate Mario to come back. The love for the city, the family, the culture, the school. He’d be a god here and he knows it.

If Mario couldn’t actually coach football I wouldn’t be mentioning his name at all.

Advertisement
So just curious, how was Taggert able to get out of Oregon if its so difficult and the contract is so iron clad? Buddy jetted out of there after one season.
I don't know about the contract part...as far as leaving the job with the better support structure for the one with a way smaller support structure Willy made an emotional decision not a business decision.

I don't know about the contract part...as far as leaving the job with the better support structure for the one with a way smaller support structure Willy made an emotional decision not a business decision.
Agree 100%. I made the argument in this very thread that emotions will play a part in his decision. **** his family play a part in that emotional part of the decision. Mario isnt some robot. If his wife tells him she wants to go back to Miami, I highly doubt Mario gives her the back hand pimp slap and tells her to go sit down and get his dinner ready because they are staying in Eugene. But of course many posters dont want to take that factor into consideration.

But whatever. This is a great convo but a moot one until A)Manny is fired and B) UM makes it publicly clear that they are going after Mario and he is the clear #1 choice. At that point, we will see what direction Mario goes in.

Now I get it and I completely understand your point and agree with it.

What I am saying is that you make it so **** enticing that even if it’s a no, they went all in and use that plan then to move to the next best qualified person in the list.
I dont disagree with your theory, at the same time, I don’t think the plan should be crafted on a Mario or bust scenario.

Look at Mich St when courting Tucker. They had to go back to the well multiple times to finally lure him in. What they agreed to pay him at that time was excessive. Now it seems more reasonable with them being 7-0 and trending upward.

My point is, a plan needs to be set and then a budget for each candidate

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if he was back.
giphy.gif

Advertisement
Dude. Did you hit your head recently? There is no easier path to the playoffs than thru the ACC-C.

My head is working just fine, dude.

I’ll repeat: squeaking out a coastal championship is not a path to the championship.

Of course the coastal must be step one, but it must be won in a certain way, and then after that, many more things have to happen. Just takes a little bit of football knowledge to realize that.

Blake is toast.

He’ll be fired before a coach is hired.

My prediction is that they’re just waiting until around the end of the football season.

Our next most important hire isn’t the coach, it’s the athletic director.

IMO, the people in power need to have someone that they trust, that they feel is competent, to run the overall program.
Agreed. Baseball and basketball are a mess as well.

Yes, Mario loses or struggles in a game he has no business doing so, but some of you forget what that otherwise means if he came home to take over the Miami job. You all know what a consistent 10-2, 11-1 (especially in a consistently weak conference) record would do for recruiting especially when kids are giving Miami every opportunity to get them but the product on the field sucks right now. At some point, with his recruiting acumen, he'd land a special class that would render the "dumb loss" moot for a year which means a run at the title. None of that is guaranteed, obviously, but right now, 1 bad loss a year would be a tremendous upgrade from where we are right now.
Everyone remembers Dabo had the “Clemsoning” until he got over the hump to correct? Always good recruiting classes and teams but would drop a game or two they shouldn’t have and then it started rolling. I’ll take that with Mario all day long!

Advertisement
Revising history here. Oregon was not happy when Taggert left. Lets not rewrite history here.
And u know that because of what? Some reports you read? Interviews you may have seen trying to prove tampering? What exactly makes you say that? Me I'm certainly not some Oregon blow hard or anything relaying to someone with all sorts of info. The only thing I know is my shoe deal was with Nike at the time still and my rep is pretty high up in that chain. He said Nike people had been pushing to get him gone as Phil knight was never on board with the hire. They simply tried to do their part to support the decisions that were made. I suppose that doesn't make that reality but as long as I was signed with them I had the same rep and gossip was never his thing.

Everyone remembers Dabo had the “Clemsoning” until he got over the hump to correct? Always good recruiting classes and teams but would drop a game or two they shouldn’t have and then it started rolling. I’ll take that with Mario all day long!
The demise of Miami lead to some programs rise to power. We got put under the microscope and everybody else was dropping bags. Once he got Watkins, the ball was rolling.

All i can say is I watched him take Oregon into Ohio st and absolutely take it to them...not many teams go into OSU and do that...

He took his team on the road in front of 100k and had them absolutely PREPARED!!

Whens the last time we did that?

Advertisement
Back