Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Advertisement
You guys are right in the middle of groupthink deluding yourselves.

The psychology of this is just really interesting watching it happen in real time.

D and myself always compare him to Butch. He’ll build a good roster and will win , but will leave you scratching your head one or two times a year. I actually posted that word for word right before Stanford lol. So yes it is promising , he wins conference tiles , stays ranked , recruits like a beast and knows how to build a roster. We’d be lucky to have him. View attachment 158375
It's better than what we've got, and by some distance.

Advertisement
Ok..help me understand this sentence..

***And if Oregon really wants to keep him, they will. They will amend his contract to make it financially irresponsible for him to leave the school. This is something no one has mentioned here.***

What is there to understand, it’s pretty straightforward.

Mario has done a phenomenal job against top opponents.

What happens against the rest of the schedule that constantly has me scratching my head.
And yet, you saw what Manny did against Louisiana Tech, FIU, etc. and thought so strongly that he would go 15-0 that you spent months telling other people they were not real fans. You should probably do less talking and more listening when it comes to this or really anything else football related.

Video of everyone in this thread after reading the exchange above:

95d5dcf34a64988ecf673a0a56e220706d95492c.gif
Do you think they would allow us to bring one of those into the Rock? I can probable handle sourcing the tuxedos, hats, sunglasses, and dirt.

Advertisement
I don’t see it that way.

Those types of emotional arguments used to persuade will not work.

The only way he comes is if his perception is that his situation at Oregon will be worse if he stays, but better at Miami. How likely is that?

What is the probability that someone will come to that logical conclusion at the end of the season?

It would take a near improbable set of circumstances for someone to think that Miami is a better job than Oregon at the end of this season. Even for a cane alum and someone that loves the canes.

People here forget he’s already shown UM what he’ll do when a better opportunity is one of his options.

They couldnt keep Taggert. Even though they really wanted to. Even though people will revise the history books like Oregon helped him pack and bought his plane ticket..They couldnt keep Chip Kelly. Oregon and that Nike money isnt some "Squib Games" like cult here. Only way to leave is by death type stuff. People leave Oregon and that Nike money. Its Oregon. Lets calm down here. Mario might never win a national title here if he comes but he definitely isnt winning one at Oregon. Ever.

We are making a case for Mario to come to UM. Whats so crazy about that? (shrugs) Should we be making a case for Charlie Strong instead?

No you’re not really making a case for Mario to come to Miami.

You’re making a case for deluding yourself in the thinking there’s some decent probability chance we can land him. That’s the only case that’s being made here.

That actual case needs to be made by people that are trying to influence him.

This thread doesn’t influence anybody, other than deluding people here into thinking we have a better than 50% shot of getting him.

I would say the odds start somewhere south of 10%.

Advertisement
And yet, you saw what Manny did against Louisiana Tech, FIU, etc. and thought so strongly that he would go 15-0 that you spent months telling other people they were not real fans. You should probably do less talking and more listening when it comes to this or really anything else football related.
What does Mario struggling to beat **** teams week in and week out have to do with Manny and an offseason joke?

If this thread serves one purpose it'll at least get the Duck fanbase's jimmies ALL rustled when I plant it on their boards after Luigi loses to UCLA on Saturday. They'll see he was apparently here twice recently and will add this distraction of him theoretically being interested in our job to whatever preexisting angst they have about Luigi as a gameday corch.

That humor aside, one reason I'd actually be FOR a Luigi hire is that it would absolutely settle any debate about two notions.

The first would be simple as it would show whether Luigi is indeed a master recruiter and can consistently recruit at an elite level disirregardless or locale or even win-loss record (at first).

I'm inclined to think he'd at minimum at least start off killing it recruiting. So that would then settle the second debate- Can you overcome gameday corching in South Florida if you can simply stack massive talent (primarily local kids that were leaving prior). Is South Florida at such an advantage as a recruiting hotbed that a recruiting maven could prove that "It's about the Jimmys and the Joes and not the x's and o's"?

I think the pro and con Butch comparisons are most accurate. Does that coaching model work here almost 25 years later and in a different CFB landscape? Despite my longtime anti-Luigi vitriol, I honestly don't know. I would like to see a new competent AD see whatever total amount of money it would cost to get him from Oregon though and produce a list of what other coaches that amount would get too. We absolutely shouldn't be only able to "break the bank" for one guy or else the alternative is to go cheap on an up-and-comer.

They couldnt keep Taggert. Even though they really wanted to. Even though people will revise the history books like Oregon helped him pack and bought his plane ticket..They couldnt keep Chip Kelly. Oregon and that Nike money isnt some "Squib Games" like cult here. Only way to leave is by death type stuff. People leave Oregon and that Nike money. Its Oregon. Lets calm down here. Mario might never win a national title here if he comes but he definitely isnt winning one at Oregon. Ever.

You are right in the throes of this groupthink delusion that’s going on here.

Fascinating.

Advertisement
That allure would be sufficient if he made a decision based purely on emotion. I’m not saying there isn’t an allure, but is he going to make a logical career affecting decision based on that?

I don’t think the money is ever going to be the issue with him. The money I think could be come up with. There are other factors, the major one being, a personal but logical choice: Would it be the right move for him?

That’s how I think he would think it through.
He'll take the call because he still loves his alma mater. But his decision will be strictly business. So where does he go after Oregon? It would be the safe choice. We also need a competent risk taker. Howard took the job when nobody else would. Jimmy had no reason to go to Miami but he did as well. Why would Butch take the Miami job? He was a successful DC for Dallas and on track to be an NFL head coach.

We also need a guy who will take the risk. To do so you need an ego. Not hubris but an ego. I do agree with Zo's comment. We need a guy whose personality is better than Miami's.

So basically we will go all in on him, but the chance of him actually coming here is slim to none based on what he has going on there, the mess that this place is and knowing he can get whatever he needs to be successful at Oregon?

I don’t want to believe it but it makes sense. At the end of the day I want Mario but agree it’s going to be a tough pull. I’ll leave a sliver of
Hope in my mind that the wife really wants to get back here or he wants his kids here too or maybe that he just wants to be the guy that resurrects the U. A sliver of hope but hope nonetheless.

He'll take the call because he still loves his alma mater. But his decision will be strictly business. So where does he go after Oregon? It would be the safe choice. We also need a competent risk taker. Howard took the job when nobody else would. Jimmy had no reason to go to Miami but he did as well. Why would Butch take the Miami job? He was a successful DC for Dallas and on track to be an NFL head coach.

We also need a guy who will take the risk. To do so you need an ego. Not hubris but an ego. I do agree with Zo's comment. We need a guy whose personality is better than Miami's.
Not sure I agree with you re Jimmy or (to a lesser extent) Butch.

Advertisement
Back