Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

I’m curious to know what the expectation and standard would be for the team if Mario were to be coach. How many wins per year on avg do we expect? Do we expect him to bring us to the promised land? Yearly playoff contender? How long do we give him to get us there until we are fed up?
He has taken advantage of a really down Pac conference. He should be able to do the same in the corstal division. Depending on our scheduling, 10 wins a year should be the floor.

Advertisement
Well, if Cristobal does agree to the UM job, at least that will tell us with 100% certainty that UM has finally decided to take sports seriously at the highest levels (he wouldn't leave an excellent situation at Oregon otherwise ) . I am more concerned about the long term changes at the higher levels than I am the short term question of who will be the next HC.
That would send a message if it does happen. And I also agree with you about the cost.
The department changes would be tricky.
But there will be some serious hurt feelings after Blake leaves the department and maybe even the BOT.
That can create some bumps in the road. Hopefully someone that comes in can iron out all these differences and create some unity and a one goal approach.
That’s the reason why I think that having a football only person can only exist if Blake is gone.
Can’t risk a dude like BJ trying to down low sabotage any positive changes out of spite because he failed.

Yes but Oregon's brand/performance has increased since.

He's a different proposition to what he was.
I agree, that’s why I was clear on the timing of when I was told. But, I would also add that living in OR has become substantially less enjoyable and living in Florida (and the freedoms that come with it) has become substantially more coveted in the COVID era

Last edited:
I don’t understand why it’s a debate over whether we should try and hire Mario. He may have a bad game or two a season but **** Miami has 6 or 7 a year. How many teams don’t on a year to year basis? I’ll take the highs he creates and live with the possible lows. If I’m getting 9-10 wins a year and top 5 recruiting classes what’s the issue? Now come 6-7 years into his tenure, sure then you start saying what’s the issue? But why say no before then? I don’t get it.
There really isn't. The debate is whether he would take it. Sure there are a few naysayers here but their perfect coaching specimen doesn't exist unless it's like a clone of Dabo or Saban.

Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up on Mario. He has a good thing going and it's a lot to risk to take on this monster. At the the of the day I just don't know if he thinks it's worth it. No inside info just a gut feeling.

I’m curious to know what the expectation and standard would be for the team if Mario were to be coach. How many wins per year on avg do we expect? Do we expect him to bring us to the promised land? Yearly playoff contender? How long do we give him to get us there until we are fed up?

The expectation is simple.. competency.. prepared teams.. player improvement.. growth and development.. ability to recruit and help grow the program.. thats it.. thats all we want.. a real ceo who is young and hungry.. hopefully that translates to a trophy but if not at least we can enjoy our Saturdays again (and probably sundays as well)

Advertisement
Miami, USC and Texas jobs are always sleeping giants if only because of the recruiting grounds they reside in. When USC was in their dynasty era NO big time recruit in Cali left that state. The only one I can think of that broke the mold and it was because USC was on the downswing was DeAnthony Thomas who ironically went to Oregon. (DeSean Jackson went to Cal-Berkeley over USC for ego reasons) But thats it. They had the state on lock and won alot of games and a few national titles.

Same with Texas. And the same can be for UM.

You get a coach who knows how to recruit with the best of them (Mario), is HIGHLY respected by local coaches and wont have an issue with local BS HS coaching politics (Mario), who knows the city and how much UM being back would mean to the city of Miami (Mario), will embrace WINNING and how much former alumni mean to the program (Mario), has track record of AT THE VERY LEAST winning conference titles (Mario), and loves UM (Mario) and wont accept failure because he was taught how to run a program by the GOAT himself in Nick Saban (MARIO) and we will be on that ABC/ESPN national championship game podium within 3-4 years. I think thats how long it took Jimbo to win his national title at FSU with his core being SoFla recruits.

Put your faith in Mario.

Why would I put my faith in Mario? Odds are he’ll be the Oregon coach next year.

what if he's in the playoffs in January? he makes to the playoffs, we are toast
He can still send one of his handlers to give us the word. **** send his brother Luis to give us the message. And if hes knocking at the door of a national title, we are toast anyway. I dont think a head coach has ever left a team for another one in any sport..college, pro or even womens sport..after winning or at least playing for a national title. So I guess we are all banking on Mario slipping up one more time I guess. (shrugs)

Not having your oc is kind‘ve a big deal , on top of a bunch injuries. Moat teams have close games in conference. All that matter if you win.

Btw he’s working on his third conference title and ranked in the top ten while winning big bowl games . Comparing that to Miami is idiotic.
If that was a thing just this year then fine but it has marked his tenure there. Do most teams play close games against 1-win teams and 2 win teams when he's losing to Oregon State and Cal last year? Or a 1-win Cal team this year? Should he should have been up by only 5 against winless Arizona going into the 4th quarter? If you want a coach that consistently doesn't get the best out the alleged talent he's recruited then Mario is perfect.

He won a conference title last year because Washington had Covid and couldn't play in a title game. Reciting that stat without context is fine but it means nothing to me. The comparisons to Butch are apt because they'll both cost themselves 1-2 wins a year because of inept decisions. He'll usually need a clear talent advantage to win and that doesn't impress me.

Last edited:
Why would I put my faith in Mario? Odds are he’ll be the Oregon coach next year.
That speech was for the folks that dont think hes the answer or think we should do a thorough search and not just hand him the job even if he expresses valid interest in it. If he comes out and tells us to F off a month from now then fine. Moot point.

Advertisement
This thread is becoming a perfect example of groupthink delusion.

Right now, the odds are close to zero that Mario even comes, or even considers us seriously.

It would take a low probability chain of events for this to become even a viable option for him, from a professional standpoint.

And if Oregon really wants to keep him, they will. They will amend his contract to make it financially irresponsible for him to leave the school. This is something no one has mentioned here.

Outside of Alabama, who doesn’t lose to inferior teams on occasion? Serious question? Unless you have overwhelming talent you are going to have the occasional nail bitter against an unranked team.

It’s a lot more than occasional

Advertisement
This is what I've been saying. UM should pitch to him a 10+ year plan and convince him this is his last job. I think if the school does that and shows him a vision and long range strategy and backs it up with quantifying it, it's a wrap, imo.

I think it was a blessing in disguise being at oregon. HC at a major institution that invested serious money into the program. He has that experience and wherewithal to take it to UM
See thats how I look at it as well. Sucks that we could have had him a few years back but it probably would have failed anyway. If we somehow manage to pull this off it works out even better in the long run. Mario gets HC experience at a bigtime program before coming and gets great West Coast exposure/connections for recruiting. In the meantime, Miami hits rock bottom which needed to happen so things can get torn apart and hopefully re-built correctly.

Yeah, its probably still a long shot but maybe just maybe the stars will finally align.

What I love about Mario is we aren’t grasping at straws coming up with reasons why it will work: Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Manny all were this x1000. Guys like Richt and Mario have tangible evidence to show why they are competent football coaches.

Gut the entire athletic department. Hire qualified people. Do a real search. Find a way to Land Mario if he’s best option. Fundraising and asses in the seats will soon follow.

Backwards *** university looking to hire a HC before AD. This school won't learn. What the fvck do these people know about athletics?

Advertisement
People who know him are even torn. That’s why I say it’s 50-50 lol. He’s been the only option. I’ve posted the deal before but all their eggs are in that basket. If they throw legit money at him and show him they’re taking this serious I think we have a legit shot. He’s very loyal to Oregon since they gave him a chance at a big big program. As I’ve said people close to him seem split on what he’d do, but I do know one said there’s only two college jobs he’d leave Oregon for.
Maybe this is what Marcus Lemonis tweet was getting at

Eugene is a ****hole...its literally surrounded by areas of really really white people, lower income - lots of meth and weed, freaks and transients.
Zero draw to stay there...coming home makes more sense than anything on his plate IMO.
In the camp of not 100% sold on him - but compared to what we have currently...he's a fckn homerun...plus at least our lines will get built up and that's how you win in bigtime P5 football.
Yeah he stocked that roster - but he can easily stock a roster here as well.

See thats how I look at it as well. Sucks that we could have had him a few years back but it probably would have failed anyway. If we somehow manage to pull this off it works out even better in the long run. Mario gets HC experience at a bigtime program before coming and gets great West Coast exposure/connections for recruiting. In the meantime, Miami hits rock bottom which needed to happen so things can get torn apart and hopefully re-built correctly.

Yeah, its probably still a long shot but maybe just maybe the stars will finally align.

Eh, I'm ok with him learning how to be a CEO type of a big time program on someone else's dime. He got some great experience at Oregon and he would not have had that if he had been here with us a few years ago.

This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.

Not to mention how bad the current situation is in Portland the only real city there. It is a warzone

Advertisement
Back