Interesting stat about Felipe Franks and N’Kosi

Where are you getting this from?
Stokes I was there it was bad bro, DUde had a roll out play nobody in his face and threw the ball right at a dudes feet, and it was an ugly wobbler. He threw many wobblers that looked like punts No lie, The crowd i was sitting around was in disbelief

Advertisement
Anyone that has seen both the scrimmage and Tate's high school/OSU mop up footage knows that there was a clear difference, but why? I know that he seems to struggle from under center compared to the shotgun, but I would think that would affect his seeing the field/decision making more than his ability to throw, right? Maybe someone that is more knowledgeable about the QB position can help me there.

And maybe this has been discussed already, but is it possible that Enos had him doing something else with his mechanics and he wasn't comfortable or was still adjusting? It's baffling to me to see footage from prior to him being at Miami and what he has done since.

You may be on to something, during the scrimmage I saw his passes were coming out as wobblers, didnt see that in the limited Ohio STate highlights

Two thoughts - first - the BIG GUN arm on any QB - is still a low percentage pass.

The shorter to mid range passes are higher percentage completions - all other things being equal.

I've seen lots of big gun arms - and got their asses beat for wanting to make the Sunday highlight reels.

I want a QB who's smart, fast to make progressions, and quick to hit who's open - and let it be HIS job to get yards after the catch. And if he can bolt using his feet if things aren't quickly open - that sure keeps a defense on their toes.
Agreed, but wasnt talking how far he can throw or his velocity, He looked like a mini Tim Tebow out there... like a RB playing QB, he is bad at throwing a football.

Ok... the qb battle svcks. Are all three lame and we have to pick one? Or are they all very good and it's difficult to narrow a front runner. Nobody is making a decisive argument yet by elevating a clear starter. I still believe that the starter has already been determined and it may shock many here.
Who ever the starter will be, I just hope and pray we shine on 8/24, and Manny and Co. prove that TNM is real.

Enos has proven he can make QB's better so there's every chance he can do the same for Perry if Perry puts in the work.... My only gripe with Perry is can he read the field and not stare down receivers... I noticed when he played last season in the limited time he did that he would routinely stare guys down and walk safeties over for double coverage.... Not saying it can't be fixed but it has to be fixed for Perry to be successful....

Advertisement
When pressured last year vs P5 Ds, Feleipe Franks had 25.3% comps (64th/64 qualified P5 QBs), a 62.3 passer rating (53rd) & QBR of 5.3 (52nd).

vs. P5 offenses, Miami’s D got pressure 41.3% of the time. Only Kentucky & Clemson were better.

Now, having said that, one of the few QBs who was worse than Franks vs. pressure was… N’Kosi Perry. He was 8-of-27 with 0 TD & 1 INT and 2.3 QBR when pressured vs. P5.

From David Hale
Just win!

Go Canes!!!!!!

Agreed, but wasnt talking how far he can throw or his velocity, He looked like a mini Tim Tebow out there... like a RB playing QB, he is bad at throwing a football.

You’re deciding this based on a spring practice on a new team facing our first string D? 😆

Lol at minimal arm talent. Go back and watch his film... didn’t martell finish as one of the top elite 11 finalist when he competed too?

Looks to have plenty of arm talent to me, but again I’m no QB whisperer. I liked his ability to move in the pocket to buy more time, his accuracy when he did throw it, and of course his rushing game has to be accounted for at all times. Just looks the part of a winner and knows it. I haven’t seen Jarren’s Or N’Kosi’s highlight tape but if they look just as good then the QB position will be a lesser worry under Enos’ tutelage. We get the OL humming as a cohesive unit and watch out lads, this team will be special.

4 of 11 for 128 yds at the half, 0 for 5 on 3rd down, 7 of 15 on the game not exactly impressive 184 yds passing. Lots of being TFL fumbled.

Here is a QB:

Looks good to me, just as Tate did albeit against arguably better competition. But there’s got to be a reason Matocha was a 3* and Tate a 4*. That, and I just don’t think Peyton sees the field until a QB ahead of him transfers out upon losing the QB race. And he will be hard pressed to win it with TVD coming in for 2020, plus the incumbent starter. But stranger things have happened before.

Advertisement
2016, 2017, 2018.

3 seasons, 3 quarterbacks.

Any qb who took a snap under Richt and son REGRESSED.

They took a guy slated as a top round pick to nearly unstaffed status. I could be wrong, but it is my firm belief that with better offensive coaching, Brad would have returned for his senior year.

It took a four game losing streak for Richt to figure out he couldn’t leave Brad stranded in five step drops against blitzing defenses with struggling pass protection. When he put in a lot more three step drop, Brad got hot and finished 2016 on a roll.

We ran 4 VERTS ON 3RD AND SHORT! OFTEN! No rubs, no drags, no playaction screens. The offense was a complete and total mess.

I have not even gotten into half of the strategic problems of the previous regime.

Our qbs were coached by an overpaid coffee fetcher and a stubborn, burned out granddad.

The ENTIRE OFFENSE looked every bit the part.

NOTHING that ANY offensive player did last year matters.

There is one concern I have about that mess from 2018. Did Richt ruin N’Kosi’s confidence?

Other than that, I threw out what I saw at the **** show.

Let the competition conclude and the best man win. No one really knows what will transpire over the next few weeks.

If Tate proves to be the guy, great if not, there is no reason to panic until shown otherwise. People need to quit acting like it’s the end of the world because FRESHMAN qbs had some struggles in the worst college offense I have ever seen.

It will be much, much better regardless of the starter.

I just feel like N'kosi has shown us all that he is capable of and it isn't going to take us where we want to go. Im scared Manny is going to make the same mistake Richt did with the LSU game and start the QB who has started in more games and is older. Jarren or Tate should get the nod IMO.
No 1st year QB or other player has shown "all what he is capable of." Would you say that about Scaife who started last year and made plenty of mistakes? You act like Perry's a RS Senior and we've seen the best he is ever going to get. Just Foolish. By all accounts, he has shown improvement over last year on and off the field. He won the Best QB award in the Spring and is getting proper coaching at QB.

Perry may or may not win the starting QB job, but let's see what he looks like after a year of experience, new coaching, and a new playbook.

No 1st year QB or other player has shown "all what he is capable of." Would you say that about Scaife who started last year and made plenty of mistakes? You act like Perry's a RS Senior and we've seen the best he is ever going to get. Just Foolish. By all accounts, he has shown improvement over last year on and off the field. He won the Best QB award in the Spring and is getting proper coaching at QB.

Perry may or may not win the starting QB job, but let's see what he looks like after a year of experience, new coaching, and a new playbook.
Foolish by all accounts? The only foolish thing is thinking Nkosi is going to change into some thing he is not in less than a year. An Nkosi was not a first year player last year. He was just a redshirt. Can he improve of course but I don’t think it will take us where this fan base wants.

Foolish by all accounts? The only foolish thing is thinking Nkosi is going to change into some thing he is not in less than a year. An Nkosi was not a first year player last year. He was just a redshirt. Can he improve of course but I don’t think it will take us where this fan base wants.
And you think tate or jarren will? None of these dudes are elite. To me none of them are even as good as kaaya.

Advertisement
And you think tate or jarren will? None of these dudes are elite. To me none of them are even as good as kaaya.
I agree I don’t think any of them are elite. But I’d like to see what Jarren or Tate could bring. More so Jarren.

1. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win.

2. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. (Saying it again because Richt used it as a “reason” for starting 12).

3. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. (Got it yet?)

4. LOL at listening to anything vern says. He could literally have video footage of exactly what he’s describing and I wouldn’t believe it. I could be standing next to him, hearing him describe what we are both seeing, and I wouldn’t believe what he’s saying.

It’s no secret that Tate’s worst scrimmage was #1, and his best was #3. I’m not letting either decide the starter for me, and neither is Manny.

Advertisement
1. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win.

2. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. (Saying it again because Richt used it as a “reason” for starting 12).

3. Manny is going to start the guy he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. (Got it yet?)

4. LOL at listening to anything vern says. He could literally have video footage of exactly what he’s describing and I wouldn’t believe it. I could be standing next to him, hearing him describe what we are both seeing, and I wouldn’t believe what he’s saying.

It’s no secret that Tate’s worst scrimmage was #1, and his best was #3. I’m not letting either decide the starter for me, and neither is Manny.
100% agree.

Unfortunately, regardless of who's chosen, it's going to be a lot of disappointed people on this board when QB1 is announced. There are more QB groupies than there are Miami fans on this site.

Going to screenshot the throw he made against VT when they blitzed and he stood in the pocket and hit Cager up the middle? Or the bomb he threw under pressure and Wiggins dropped it? He made some bad reads but he had some good ones too
Hitting passes on designed plays and making good reads are two different things. Did he make some good passes? Yes. Did he leave a crap load of plays on the field? Yes.

That being said, he was being coached by an amateur. Clean slate. N'kosi very well could have all it takes, but the coaching was so horrific it messed him up. Made him over think things. I don't know, but we will soon find out. I don't think he got good coaching in high school, and what he has had here has been just about as bad.

100% agree.

Unfortunately, regardless of who's chosen, it's going to be a lot of disappointed people on this board when QB1 is announced. There are more QB groupies than there are Miami fans on this site.
You hate to see it but that’s how QB comp goes. The first incompletion on 8/24 this board will be screaming for qb change. Especially if it’s N’kosi or Tate.

Kid has 3 years of eligibility and you trying to pigeon hole his ability for his 1st season on the field at QB. Why don't you say that about other young players? They must be trash if they can't get on the field. No, you'll say young players at other positions need time to develop, but won't give N'kosi the same treatment for the most important and most difficult position in college football. Making judgments before fall camp has even started make no sense and is pointless.

Advertisement
Back