Indoor Practice Facility

Sounds good. It's not like Miami is in tornado alley, so it should be fine.

But under the Florida building code, Miami is obviously part the "high velocity hurricane zone" which means that we follow different building guidelines than Orlando and Gainesville. That equals better material and more labor. Which ends up costing a lot more than an XL tool shed

We can't just build a barn that will be outdated as soon as it's finished. We are Miami, so we need to build something on par with how we envision the program. Elite!

Are you sure? I don't remember the last time Miami had a typhoon, so I don't see why there would be a problem with doing this on the cheap. Basically save money on the structure and just make it look pretty for recruiting. ****, Miami doesn't even have earthquakes so there shouldn't be any reason for extra building rules.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/Wind_2010/Flyer_Wind_January2012.pdf

View attachment 42852

Huh, who knew? Global warming must have changed the weather patterns down there.

Looks pretty sure!

Advertisement
And now you know why nothing ever gets built at UM on time... UCF's was $4M and right next to the field house and they just re-did the offices in what 2013?

Yea, let's just build a cheesy one that costs about 1/10th of the one we have planned. Slap up some two by fours and a tin roof and we're good to go.

But under the Florida building code, Miami is obviously part the "high velocity hurricane zone" which means that we follow different building guidelines than Orlando and Gainesville. That equals better material and more labor. Which ends up costing a lot more than an XL tool shed

We can't just build a barn that will be outdated as soon as it's finished. We are Miami, so we need to build something on par with how we envision the program. Elite!

Are you sure? I don't remember the last time Miami had a typhoon, so I don't see why there would be a problem with doing this on the cheap. Basically save money on the structure and just make it look pretty for recruiting. ****, Miami doesn't even have earthquakes so there shouldn't be any reason for extra building rules.

For you and those new to the program, I recommend you download the documentary on Hurricane Andrew. You will get a new appreciation for the weather potential in Florida and how lucky the University was in that storm. It was about 20 years ago. FYI Cape Cod, which had had only one Category 3 in the last 80 years has adopted new Hurricane building standards.

And now you know why nothing ever gets built at UM on time... UCF's was $4M and right next to the field house and they just re-did the offices in what 2013?

Yea, let's just build a cheesy one that costs about 1/10th of the one we have planned. Slap up some two by fours and a tin roof and we're good to go.

all buildings in coral gables have to meet an aesthetic standard, and all new construction at the university needs to be rated to withstand hurricanes. anyone who knows **** about um as a school knows this.

View attachment 42852

Huh, who knew? Global warming must have changed the weather patterns down there.

Are you like 11 years old? Or do you live in the Artic without access to recent history?

You ever hear of Andrew and the other half dozen near misses since then in S. Florida? Your whole line of thinking about this is ignorant bordering on retarded.

Have you been in UCF's? It's perfectly fine. What they're admitting is 3 years ago they built/remodeled a facility poorly and wasted money then. I went on the tour, it was nice.

Didn't the player that's commented on this threat admit a kid is stupid if they sign for facilities anyway?

we're not looking for "perfectly fine." we're looking for a great facility. "perfectly fine" for ucf shouldn't even register as a blip on the radar for us.

they already said they want it to be the best and that they were going to improve upon all the other buildings out there. not to mention the fact that it must be very well built to withstand hurricanes etc. those of us that live here know and understand this. those that don't need to realize that the building codes are such that you can't even build a pos cheap building anymore around here.

Advertisement

Have you been in UCF's? It's perfectly fine. What they're admitting is 3 years ago they built/remodeled a facility poorly and wasted money then. I went on the tour, it was nice.

Didn't the player that's commented on this threat admit a kid is stupid if they sign for facilities anyway?

we're not looking for "perfectly fine." we're looking for a great facility. "perfectly fine" for ucf shouldn't even register as a blip on the radar for us.

they already said they want it to be the best and that they were going to improve upon all the other buildings out there. not to mention the fact that it must be very well built to withstand hurricanes etc. those of us that live here know and understand this. those that don't need to realize that the building codes are such that you can't even build a pos cheap building anymore around here.

you're not even allowed (per code, not that it's actually enforced) to paint the interior walls in your home outside of a certain color spectrum in coral gables. i love threads about building anything on campus because you can see who knows even the slightest bit about the university.

People that think hurricanes don't matter because they haven't been through one amaze me. Living in coastal Florida means it's not "if", but "when" the next major one hits.

you're not even allowed (per code, not that it's actually enforced) to paint the interior walls in your home outside of a certain color spectrum in coral gables. i love threads about building anything on campus because you can see who knows even the slightest bit about the university.

Come on, if you have a pickup truck, you can't even park it on the street in front of your house for long periods for crying out loud. Coral Gables doesn't play when it comes to aesthetics, and the University has to play along with that. It's also a common sense thing, what's the point of building an IPF if you are going to cheap out? Build something that you may not have to update for a decade, instead of building something that will be outmoded the day it is completed. It makes sense for Miami to do this right the first time, even if the board dumbasses disagree.

UCF beat Miami to an IPF by how many years? Shoot to your level, and Miami's level financially is UCF, not SEC/Big10

Your blog sucks and so does your posting. Go slap a Knights shirt on and root for that 3rd rate "University".

**** I never realized, I guess you're right. I'm going to turn in my notice today and quit coaching and then I'll cut off my wordpress acct. I'm glad you helped me see the light. Go Canes!

Advertisement

View attachment 42852

Are you like 11 years old? Or do you live in the Artic without access to recent history?

You ever hear of Andrew and the other half dozen near misses since then in S. Florida? Your whole line of thinking about this is ignorant bordering on retarded.

You don't have to be an ******* about it, how was I supposed to know there were hurricanes in Miami?

Get in touch with Blake James and let him know your thoughts. Your well thought out and knowledgeable alternative building plan will be well received and save the school about $30 million.

We are fortunate as a fan base to have someone with such a thorough grasp of the complex factors involved in this proposed construction. Hopefully, they will take your wise advice and proceed accordingly.

Cheers.

Adding on an ipf to the already upgraded shwartz center isn't even "admitting 3yrs ago they built/remodeled a facility poorly and wasted money". That makes no sense. Its not like they are tearing it down, they're just adding on to it.

People complaining about us spending money deserve no place on this board. This is something that is nice for the players and compatible to other p5 schools, who we are competing against whether you think it matters or not is irrelevant. It can't hurt.

Yeah I dont get it. What else in the immediate future are we going to need to get significant donations for anyway? Get as much money from donors as you can then in another 5yrs we can get another expensive addition.

Just make sure there is enough $$ for El Jefe and Kool

You don't have to be an ******* about it, how was I supposed to know there were hurricanes in Miami?

You're really bad at trolling. It's annoying and not funny. If you're going to troll, be either funny, or make it seem more credible. Otherwise, you just come across as either a bad troll or an ignoramus. In your case, both.

Advertisement

This is why I took early retirement from college teaching

You're really bad at trolling. It's annoying and not funny. If you're going to troll, be either funny, or make it seem more credible. Otherwise, you just come across as either a bad troll or an ignoramus. In your case, both.

I'm better at trolling than you are at catching on. But don't beat yourself up...I mean, anybody could think I was serious when I mentioned typhoons, tornados, global warming, and earthquakes but didn't know that Miami gets hurricanes. It's not like the team is actually named after hurricanes or anything.

Advertisement

For you and those new to the program, I recommend you download the documentary on Hurricane Andrew. You will get a new appreciation for the weather potential in Florida and how lucky the University was in that storm. It was about 20 years ago. FYI Cape Cod, which had had only one Category 3 in the last 80 years has adopted new Hurricane building standards.

And just for fun, I spent the night of Andrew in apartment 36G on campus. But I'll be sure to check out the documentary, I'm sure it's quite informative.

View attachment 42852

Bill-Cosby-Laugh-GIF.jpg

Attachments

• are-you-serious.gif
    are-you-serious.gif
    335 KB · Views: 96

I'm better at trolling than you are at catching on. But don't beat yourself up...I mean, anybody could think I was serious when I mentioned typhoons, tornados, global warming, and earthquakes but didn't know that Miami gets hurricanes. It's not like the team is actually named after hurricanes or anything.

You're just not very good.

You're just not very good.

I'm starting to think you don't know what trolling is.

Advertisement
Back