In all seriousness - Does Diaz Fire Penos?

In the likely event Diaz isn’t fired at the end of season his test will be staff changes. If he makes none, we’re done. We may already be done, but if he makes changes there’s a faint glimmer of hope. He needs to can Barry, Stubblefield, Patke, and Stroud. Start there.

Advertisement
Penos gonna get another season if we dont trend downward through the end of the season. Oline looks to be improving slightly. Perry demonstrated that he is Jacory Harris 2.0 and cant be trusted to execute consistently. Our only hope is Williams progresses with the oline. Burrow was pedestrian last season and is now a heisman candidate. If we can show any improvement with Williams at the helm then Penos will get a shot next season.
You left out that little detail about why Burrow is so much better this year—a completely revamped offense by Joe Brady.

Yes you can because in good offenses, the QBs aren't asked to go through progressions, sit in the pocket behind and get killed, and make difficult throws. The best offenses "pace and space" by making quick, easy throws to open receivers in space. The tempo also gets the D so tired and confuse that guys are WIDE open. Watch Oklahoma (yes I know they lost, but still scored 41 against a **** good team).
Thank you for proving my point: Burrow was average in a poor pro-style scheme. In an up tempo spread that makes short, quick and easy throws, he is all-world!

PREACH!

Yeah just because the kicking game is bad, doesn't mean that other aspects of the STs are bad to. Put coverage is good, punting is good, kickoff coverage is pretty goodn meaning he is doing an alright job.

So u’re going to discount the fact that we loss 3 games due to kicking and punt muffing? Lol.

Patke needs to go immediately

Advertisement
I noticed that as well and laughed to myself. Whipple showed yesterday that he is exactly who we thought he was. I suspect we’ll be saying the same about Enos in a few years.

Bruh; I had to really think back to his entire career. Lol.

And we’re already there about Enos. Enos has chit to do w Tua & clearly Hurts is doing just fine w/o Enos’ “tutelage.”

Last edited:
So u’re going to discount the fact that we loss 3 games due to kicking and punt muffing? Lol.

Patke needs to go immediately
So Jeff thomas muffing a punt is on Pakte? And the kickers missing easy chipped field goals because of God knows what is on Pakte as well, when they made them easily last year. Seems to me that you can't tell the difference between a coaching problem and a personal mistake/ problem. They have brought in sports psychologists and everything and Baxa is still shocked, the coach can only do so much.

So Jeff thomas muffing a punt is on Pakte? And the kickers missing easy chipped field goals because of God knows what is on Pakte as well, when they made them easily last year. Seems to me that you can't tell the difference between a coaching problem and a personal mistake/ problem. They have brought in sports psychologists and everything and Baxa is still shocked, the coach can only do so much.

Yeah, OK.

im Not gonna say that Patke needs to go based on ST alone, but he’s not a great recruiter, he’s the greenest guy on a super green staff, and the head coach is defensive focused, if there was a coach to be canned strictly to upgrade the staff, Patke has to be it.

Stroud needs to be upgraded, go shell out some serious cassssshhhh for a top notch DL coach who can recruit

Advertisement
Enos came in with too much of a brand -- Tagovailoa/Hurts, Alabama, Saban and all the perception that comes with it. The fact that Manny got the guy Saban was going to promote to OC was impressive and blinded people to the reality of his offensive history. I'm not as critical of Manny as most, but this was his biggest error. He had the right idea initially when he publicly stated the kind of offense he wanted to run, but he got blinded by the big splash hire that was available to him. I'm guessing that Enos can present a very convincing case for what he likes to do and it was enough to get Diaz to trust him given the successful QBs he had just worked with.

But now, after half a season, Manny's gotta be frustrated as ****. He ran a defense that performed well for 3 years along side an offense that was terrible. He probably coached those years constantly thinking... if only I could change that **** offense. And now in his first year as HC he's come to realize that he's still stuck with it. And it's his fault.

So what next? If you look at how Manny has handled most things, he's not a patient guy. He's already grabbed the reins from Baker because he couldn't stand to see the D looking like it was (and it looks much better since he did). And the offseason moves were aggressive too. Unless the offense shows some real progress, I think he makes a change. You can argue about the bad OL and other personnel, and all that's true, but the fact is you have to maximize what you've got with creative thinking and Enos doesn't seem to be able to do that. Do people really think Diaz is going to sit here like Golden and just let one side of the team rot for multiple seasons and destroy his career over it? Especially when his D is doing its part? I'm not predicting he gets the perfect guy or ultimately succeeds, but there's no way he lets this go on the way it is.
Great post.

While the OL play is really poor, Enos should be generating more offensive production than he has. JT4 was a Top 150 recruit & has balled for us before. Brevin & Mallory were the top two TE recruits in their class...and Brevin has clearly demonstrated that he is a baller. Deejay is all heart & makes plays at critical times. Wiggins has great top end speed....so hand him the **** ball if he can't catch consistently. We have three highly ranked QBs coming out of HS.

The playcalling in the redzone is particularly poor. Throw the ball up to Njoku (who should tower over most DBs). Throw to Mallory & Brevin more in the redzone. We have no plays that seem to work consistently on the ground for 3rd & 1 (which is ridiculous). We should at least have a jumbo package that consistently works on 3rd & 1. I don't see it being used. With our kicking woes this year, it has really exacerbated the problem. Enos definitely needs to step up his playcalling in the redzone (at times it was literally run for no gain, run for no gain...and you guessed it...run for no gain). We have to do better than that.

I also think he needs to spread things out more, go vertical more and get the ball to our best athletes in space. Some of them could be devastating opponents with their speed.

I don't see many of our plays working due to play design. It's almost always our athlete out-athleting the opponent. Let's see some plays that work due to creative play design.

Enos badly needs to show recruits that our offense can be highly productive & fun. FSU is a great stage to do that. Let's play to win and show what we've got.

We take care of business next weekend and we can almost be certain that Kendall Briles will be available when Willie gets canned at the end of the season. Do we still want him? Now that we have seen him at FSU, is he still attractive?

The reality is that if Manny does get rid of the problem here, he most likely has to adopt the new OCs crew. I don’t think that he has the tenure and the relationships on the offensive side of the ball to get a group of hand selected guys at this point. But who knows...crazier things have happened.
I didn’t know that we ever wanted him. There are a lot of very valid complaints about our BOT and AD. Not wanting that piece of **** or his father near our campus is not one of them. **** that guy and his rape enabling father.

Yeah just because the kicking game is bad, doesn't mean that other aspects of the STs are bad to. Put coverage is good, punting is good, kickoff coverage is pretty goodn meaning he is doing an alright job.
Are we going to just ignore the fake punt vs Florida and fake punt vs. GT? Also, returns have been largely non existent.

Advertisement
Great post.

While the OL play is really poor, Enos should be generating more offensive production than he has. JT4 was a Top 150 recruit & has balled for us before. Brevin & Mallory were the top two TE recruits in their class...and Brevin has clearly demonstrated that he is a baller. Deejay is all heart & makes plays at critical times. Wiggins has great top end speed....so hand him the **** ball if he can't catch consistently. We have three highly ranked QBs coming out of HS.

The playcalling in the redzone is particularly poor. Throw the ball up to Njoku (who should tower over most DBs). Throw to Mallory & Brevin more in the redzone. We have no plays that seem to work consistently on the ground for 3rd & 1 (which is ridiculous). We should at least have a jumbo package that consistently works on 3rd & 1. I don't see it being used. With our kicking woes this year, it has really exacerbated the problem. Enos definitely needs to step up his playcalling in the redzone (at times it was literally run for no gain, run for no gain...and you guessed it...run for no gain). We have to do better than that.

I also think he needs to spread things out more, go vertical more and get the ball to our best athletes in space. Some of them could be devastating opponents with their speed.

I don't see many of our plays working due to play design. It's almost always our athlete out-athleting the opponent. Let's see some plays that work due to creative play design.

Enos badly needs to show recruits that our offense can be highly productive & fun. FSU is a great stage to do that. Let's play to win and show what we've got.
As bad as the OL has been in 2019, there is not a single person on this earth that can argue that the way Enos calls plays helps to mask the OL deficiencies, it’s the exact opposite

Is Will Mallory even on the team anymore?

Advertisement
Are we going to just ignore the fake punt vs Florida and fake punt vs. GT? Also, returns have been largely non existent.
Firat of all is seems like your the only one who did not get the memo, the punt vs GT was all Iveys fault everybody was on the same page and the coaches actually predicted that GT was going to do a fake punt and implemented the necessary changes to stop it but Ivey was in another world. Florida was the first game of the season, both teams made critical mistakes. You act like the return game is bad, what is going on at UM in the return game is going on around the whole nation.

Firat of all is seems like your the only one who did not get the memo, the punt vs GT was all Iveys fault everybody was on the same page and the coaches actually predicted that GT was going to do a fake punt and implemented the necessary changes to stop it but Ivey was in another world. Florida was the first game of the season, both teams made critical mistakes. You act like the return game is bad, what is going on at UM in the return game is going on around the whole nation.
I’m not even talking about kick returns. Punt returns have produced nothing. In some cases they have lost us a ton of yards by guys catching the ball on the 10 or letting it bounce at the 25. Dallas did that against GT and that was the start of the drive for the sack, fumble, TD.

Here is another one for you... Jeff Thomas not running away from a punt inside the 10 yard line against UF and then fumbling it.

In isolation I can agree but at a certain point it’s inexcusable. There is zero situational awareness. Even if he is telling these guys things like watch the fake punt, it is clear they either don’t listen or his teaching sucks.

If you don’t think that special teams have directly cost us at least two games (aside from the kicking) then I don’t know what to tell you. I happen to believe that these numerous mistakes have to reflect on the position coach at a certain point.

We are not going to pay Enos $1.5m a year to coach QBs. If he is not capable of calling plays then he has no use on this staph.
Demotion is not a bad thing, under the circumstances. You get paid for the work you do, not what you pretend you are doing.

Advertisement
Back