I'm for real done with this...

Advertisement
Si im newer to Bourbon. My every day sipper is Buffalo Trace. I like it better than Eagle Rare. I’ve recently been drinking McKenna 10 year and really like it. It’s a step up in proof for me.

I need to get Blantons and can get that and EH Taylor and Stagg. There’s also a variety of Weller I can get - the ones under $ 200.

I like the drinkability of BT and McKenna. They’re smooth and not hot. I do want to experience some fuller heavier flavor and depth but not the heat. What are your recommendations for me?

May I recommend you explore Wild Turkey products a bit--- Russell's Reserve or 10 year, Kentucky Spirit or Rare Breed. Those are good to try against what you've listed.

I w been told about Rare Breed and Russell’s. I’ll add them to the list.

I love doing "blind" tastings because there are always surprises people like and don't like that goes against what they thought.

It was easier before this stuff became so popular, but for 10 year I love lining up of Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10, Russell's Reserve 10, Michter's 10 and something like a Bulleit 10, Evan Williams, Benchmark-- bottom shelf stuff.

Russell's is always in the top 2, the bottom shelf'r is almost never last and the "fancy" stuff is all over the place, which I expect with single barrels, but it still doesn't quite excuse it either. It's interesting.

Advertisement
I love doing "blind" tastings because there are always surprises people like and don't like that goes against what they thought.

It was easier before this stuff became so popular, but for 10 year I love lining up of Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10, Russell's Reserve 10, Michter's 10 and something like a Bulleit 10, Evan Williams, Benchmark-- bottom shelf stuff.

Russell's is always in the top 2, the bottom shelf'r is almost never last and the "fancy" stuff is all over the place, which I expect with single barrels, but it still doesn't quite excuse it either. It's interesting.
I like the McKenna a lot. I’ll try the Russell’s

Well just got back

I was bamboozled

However I did still manage some McKenna 10 (very excited when I get my hands on that one)

Grabbed some OF 1910, Old Elk Wheated, and some Buffalo Trace

Not terrible for being in South Carolina

Advertisement
Have to bump this thread. If anyone is near a military facility, the class six on any base will take liquor requests and personally order those requests for you and at retail price too. For example. I just got my two bottles of Wellers 12 year that most in this thread have been raving about, and I got them at the retail price per the class six at 50 dollars a bottle. This is well below the market asking price of about $250 per bottle. Food for thought for you gentlemen. Anyways, had our unit Christmas party finish tonight and I'm buzzing off of some Bulleit frontier whiskey. Cheap and satisfying.

Have to bump this thread. If anyone is near a military facility, the class six on any base will take liquor requests and personally order those requests for you and at retail price too. For example. I just got my two bottles of Wellers 12 year that most in this thread have been raving about, and I got them at the retail price per the class six at 50 dollars a bottle. This is well below the market asking price of about $250 per bottle. Food for thought for you gentlemen. Anyways, had our unit Christmas party finish tonight and I'm buzzing off of some Bulleit frontier whiskey. Cheap and satisfying.
That’s ******* awesome man. Weller 12 at $50 I doubt there would be a better buy out there.

I don’t think I’m near anywhere however one of my best friends is in California, can’t remember the base I will ask. He could ship it to me it would absolutely be worth it for that kinda price

@Kjdcanefan I just drove home from Keesler AFB today and intentionally drove through Kentucky to stop at the Buffalo Trace distillery for a tour and to scour liquor stores for Weller 12.

I got lucky and snagged Weller Special Reserve at the distillery for $30, but it took 6 liquor stores before I stumbled upon a bottle of Weller 12 in Lexington and they wanted $500 for it. **** that noise.

I'll drive down to Ft. Meade and see if this works. Thank you!

Last edited:
That’s ******* awesome man. Weller 12 at $50 I doubt there would be a better buy out there.

I don’t think I’m near anywhere however one of my best friends is in California, can’t remember the base I will ask. He could ship it to me it would absolutely be worth it for that kinda price
You gotta move man lol. Do it for the bourbon! There is Eglin AFB in Destin if you live in FL. I'm at Irwin in CA which is about an hours drive from the nearest liquor store, so the calss six is a godsend for me.

Advertisement
@Kjdcanefan I just drove home from Keesler AFB today and intentionally drove through Kentucky to stop at the Buffalo Trace distillery for a tour and to scour liquor stores for Weller 12.

I got lucky and snagged Weller Special Reserve at the distillery for $30, but it took 6 liquor stores before I stumbled upon a bottle of Weller 12 in Lexington and they wanted $500 for it. **** that noise.

Yeah, i'll never pay for high end liquor the way most liquor stores do it. I enjoyed JW blue and it usually goes for about 20-30 dollars above the JW retail price, so a bottle of JW blue at the class six is around 150. I'll never buy it again now that I can get wellers for cheap. The lady at the class six told me its usually a 50/50 ratio if they will honor the request and purchase the liquor. For me, it took about four weeks to get the delivery.

Been a bit lucky with the Weller Special Reserva recently. Run into it twice in a couple months and I don't even really hunt for bourbon too much. ABC liquor has it for $24 in the Tampa area, when they get it in. 12 year is much harder to get though.

Been a bit lucky with the Weller Special Reserva recently. Run into it twice in a couple months and I don't even really hunt for bourbon too much. ABC liquor has it for $24 in the Tampa area, when they get it in. 12 year is much harder to get though.
You can only buy Weller at ABC in the state. And those fookers keep it behind the counter so you have to ask them for the behind the counter goodies. Bourbon Mafia here in so Flo is real and makes it impossible to find really good bourbon.

Advertisement
You can only buy Weller at ABC in the state. And those fookers keep it behind the counter so you have to ask them for the behind the counter goodies. Bourbon Mafia here in so Flo is real and makes it impossible to find really good bourbon.
yep. It's weird to me how Weller is treated differently than the other BT products that are allocated to stores all over. The 12 year, and really any Weller other than Special Reserve is vault only at ABC. The whole behind the counter thing is so common that it doesn't really bother me. At least the people I've delt with at ABC don't seem to mind me asking if they have it in, even though they probably get that question 100 times a day. Some places have staff that is clearly annoyed by the questions on allocated bottles.

Low key good store (believe it or not) for Eagle Rare, BT, and Blantons is Walgreens liquors. I've had a lot more success there than any other store for those particular bottles, and they don't mark up prices. Blantons is like $70. It's never going to be on the shelf, but they get those in. Just bought ER there for $35 yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Indeed. And usually the better Weller products are in their “Vault” these days.

You gotta move man lol. Do it for the bourbon! There is Eglin AFB in Destin if you live in FL. I'm at Irwin in CA which is about an hours drive from the nearest liquor store, so the calss six is a godsend for me.
I’m not in FL I’m in SC at the moment and SC is absolutely ******* brutal for buying bourbon

yep. It's weird to me how Weller is treated differently than the other BT products that are allocated to stores all over. The 12 year, and really any Weller other than Special Reserve is vault only at ABC. The whole behind the counter thing is so common that it doesn't really bother me. At least the people I've delt with at ABC don't seem to mind me asking if they have it in, even though they probably get that question 100 times a day. Some places have staff that is clearly annoyed by the questions on allocated bottles.

Low key good store (believe it or not) for Eagle Rare, BT, and Blantons is Walgreens liquors. I've had a lot more success there than any other store for those particular bottles, and they don't mark up prices. Blantons is like $70. It's never going to be on the shelf, but they get those in. Just bought ER there for $35 yesterday, as a matter of fact.
You bought Eagle Rare at Walgreens for $35???

My mind is beyond blown right now. That’s an amazing tip.

Advertisement
Back