I was wrong

Clemson has some elite talent on offense. But FSU does as well, and FSU is far more talented in defense.

There is a reason Clemson has one of the highest paid Staffs in the nation, and FSU has Taggart and *ahem* Briles, lol

Name a player or position group on FSUs roster that’s far more talented than any player on Miami’s or Clemson’s??

Advertisement
2015 acc championship game
Clemson 45 unc 37
Watson passing:26/42, 289 yds, 3 td 1 int
Rushing: 24 carries 131 yards

Have we ever had a qb run for over 100 and throw for over 200?

2015-16 national championship game
Alabama 45 Clemson 40
Watson passing: 30/47 405 yds 4 td 1 int
Rushing: 20 carries 73 yards

Who’s the last qb to throw for 400 yds here?

2016 acc championship game
Clemson 42 Vtech 35
Watson passing: 23/34 288 yds 3 td 1 int
Rushing: 17 carries 85 yds

2016-17 national championship game
Clemson 35 Alabama 31
Watson passing 36/56 420 yds 3td 0 int
Rushing: 21 carries 43 yards.

When was the last time we had a qb throw for over 400 without an interception.

He freaking carried that team.
The team was well coached but they also had to outscore opponents. Everyone with a decent offense scored on them including vtech and unc.
How many players that Watson played with are in the league now?
How many defensive players were drafted from the teams he played with?

Good job by Dabo to not waste a talent like Watson. But Watson made Clemson what they are.
Made that team relevant for the years he started.
So yes coaching matters.
Players matter
Player development matters
Recruiting smart matters
It all freaking matters.
But a stud QB erases a lot of mistakes and talent shortcomings.

We are the number 18th most talented team in the country. I can see us finishing right around 15-20th. FSUs talent is not dispersed well and they have an absolute terrible HC. Like All time bad head coach. USC only has 6 5 stars. Clemson and Bama both have more than them, so do a few other teams. Penn State is number 10, but they also play in a conference with 2 teams ahead of them talent wise.

When was the last time Leach won an NC?

@kryptonite and @OriginalGatorHater hats off to you two studs , I sit here ready to BIG DESK you guys in epic replies myself but can’t you both reply with All American statements keep me on the bench not being able to get playing time 😳.

Both awesome points, I’ll just wait for a breather LMAO

KUDOS to U both on topic

GOCANES

Last edited:
You know what? That's fair. I think being heavy on DL and OL blue chip guys is more important than people realize, and we all agree that Willy is pure garbage.

''I think being heavy on DL and OL blue chip guys is more important than people realize''

Agree 100%. Bama is a perfect example, they protect the QB.

Advertisement
Leach proves you can be a great coach, but without the horses you can't win big.

It is probably 75% talent 25% Xs and Os. Saban is far from a great Xs and Os guys. Neither is Dabo.

You’ve said some dumb **** lately, but saying Saban isn’t a great X & O guy might be the dumbest

Like everything in life, the truth lies somewhere in between.

A good season comes when a talented roster INTERSECTS with good gameday coaches. We've had talent here for the last 15 years and lost more games than I can count to lesser teams due to **** poor incompetent coaching.

Listen man. I don't care what Bud Elliott or the rest of these cuck writers want to get people believing. FSU is not more talented than Clemson.
This thing only measured the talent coming in at recruitment. The coaching after singing day starts to impact talent, that is the delta. In our glory days we had great talent, very good coaching, and player driven work ethic beyond anything ever known. The three resulted in our greatness.

You’ve said some dumb **** lately, but saying Saban isn’t a great X & O guy might be the dumbest

Ya, he is on the list of all the all time great Xs and Os guys LMFAO! He always beats teams he out talents. He was such a great NFL HC when talent was equal. LOL even Bama fans admit he isn't a great Xs and Os coach.

Advertisement
Clemson has some elite talent on offense. But FSU does as well, and FSU is far more talented in defense.

There is a reason Clemson has one of the highest paid Staffs in the nation, and FSU has Taggart and *ahem* Briles, lol

This shows how rare great head coaches are and how difficult it is to hire them.

A program of Fsu’s pedigree had to hire Taggart. Auburn is stuck with Malzhan. Texas had Charlie Strong. LSU has Ed Orgeron. Tamu had to break the bank for Dumbo.

It’s slim pickings out there and finding the hot, young, up and coming coach is just as hard.

You never know if you are getting Urban Meyer or Al Golden.

This shows how rare great head coaches are and how difficult it is to hire them.

A program of Fsu’s pedigree had to hire Taggart. Auburn is stuck with Malzhan. Texas had Charlie Strong. LSU has Ed Orgeron. Tamu had to break the bank for Dumbo.

It’s slim pickings out there and finding the hot, young, up and coming coach is just as hard.

You never know if you are getting Urban Meyer or Al Golden.
Every time we look for a coach people act like there’s some great guy out there who would kill it if only he had Miami talent. It’s not nearly that easy. There are only a few guys who seem to be able to do it, even with the full support of a major program. In the 80s and even 90s we still had a natural talent advantage due to location, but that’s been erased by money. We can no longer win big with a decent coach, we need greatness. That’s very hard to find and we don’t have the money to hold on to it for long.

Every time we look for a coach people act like there’s some great guy out there who would kill it if only he had Miami talent. It’s not nearly that easy. There are only a few guys who seem to be able to do it, even with the full support of a major program. In the 80s and even 90s we still had a natural talent advantage due to location, but that’s been erased by money. We can no longer win big with a decent coach, we need greatness. That’s very hard to find and we don’t have the money to hold on to it for long.

We don’t need a great head coach to be a fun team to watch.

A good coach who is flexible and adaptive to the personnel would make us a consistent 10 win coastal champ and New Years six team.

All he have to do to get top 10-15 classes is be respectable. Richt showed that.

Pure ineptitude ( Coker, Shannon) and smartest man in the room syndrome (Golden, Richt) has been our undoing. All we need is a solid guy and I think Diaz has the self awareness and flexibility to be that even if there are growing pains and missed opportunities.

The big 3 college programs have been victims of epic x and o corching and poor organizational leadership.

Pressure busts pipes and most guys don’t have the heart to be steady on the big stage. Due to stubbornness, they usually don’t have the minds either.

There is another factor in play with the big 3 struggling: The mismanagement of the high school system.

Florida has a very amateurish talent development system and it shows most glaringly at the qb position.

I have a feeling the problem has to do with the excessively large population of retirees and northern transplants. High school football is popular, but doesn’t get the same community support as Texas and Georgia.

Low coaching pay is keeping many of the more knowledgeable guys from wasting their time or heading out of state. Requiring head coaches to be school board employees here is a HUGE disadvantage. In Texas and Georgia many of those guys make six figures to run the football program exclusively. They aren’t distracted by running schools, grading papers , or driving a forklift in the school board warehouse.

The money and headache of working for the school board is suppressing the quality of head coaches across the state and I hope changes to the system come sooner than later.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back