I was wrong

When was the last time he outcoached a team with even close to the talent he had? Everytime he goes against a team with similar talent he loses like Clemson last year.
This is false too. He is 2-2 vs clemson in the playoffs. Bama is in the title game basically every year so he isn't doing too much losing.

Advertisement
This is false too. He is 2-2 vs clemson in the playoffs. Bama is in the title game basically every year so he isn't doing too much losing.

If you actually read the post you would realize it isn't false. Last years Clemson team was the first time he actually had talent that was close to or as good as Bamas.

Because numbers without performance from players are what make busts. Rankings are based on HS performance. You have to keep progressing or else they become fraudulent.
Players have not been developed properly here under the last four coaches. Too soon to see what Diaz will do. My fear is our defensive players will do well while the offense struggles to develop. Not impressed with Penos despite his Bama credentials. That OL is pure ***.

Advertisement
Based on what? Performance?

Everybody agrees with you there, but the numbers are what they are. fsu still has more 4/5* guys than Clemson. That's just a fact. But that's not even what's important. The point is that they've got similar amounts of talent and vastly different outcomes. Same goes for Miami. We can out-talent almost every team we play, but we still don't win all the games.
The FSU star ratio is true. Problem is a lot of those are db’s. But that makes the loss even worse considering it’s lack of defensive coaching and lack of talent development that made that dude sling it all over them.
Have fun Akeem Dent chasing that short bag.

I think there is a logical balance. A fantastic coach can take lower level talent and scheme his way to a winning season, maybe even 10
wins. But he cannot win a NC.

Likewise a terrible coaching staff can find themselves at 7 wins or less despite superior talent (see FSU, Al Golden’s Miami, Charlie Strong’s Texas, Muschamp’s Gators).

Butch was not an outstanding schemer, but was a superlative recruiter. Art Briles had inferior talent, but was an outstanding schemer. As for Miami, the poster is right - Manny Diaz either has to be a strong schemer and an outstanding recruiter, or vice versa. One or the other has to be superlative. Or no return to prominence.
Well stated

Regardless of exactly how much a program's success is because of the coach, I think the coach's impact has become FAR too much. All sports, especially football, should be about the players. In most major sports, teams can and have won titles recently with suspect coaching. KC Royals and Cavs with LeBron come to mind. But in football, lose an ASSISTANT coach and your record slips a few games. Why should old men have more impact than the players themselves!?

Advertisement
Nowhere close to as loaded as Bamas team. Whatever measure you want to use Bama wins. 5 stars, 4 stars, 1st round picks, 2nd round picks. Bama had more.
Bama will always have more. So your point still doesn't hold any weight. If you are going by rankings and draft picks saban never goes against a team with equal talent.

I’ve always thought in some respects that Saban badly, badly underperforms. With the absurd amount of talent that this bagmen/car leasing machine has gathered, Saban really should have won 8 or 9 of the last ten NCs. He really has a young NFL team there, and yet I think he’s only had one undefeated season.

When most teams have extended success, egotism, selfishness, and complacency set in.

Just having an all star team works for a while, but then reality sets in. Guys get the big head and believe winning is an entitlement and take the hard work that got them success for granted.

New recruits coming in thinking they will win because of the color of their uniform becomes a HUGE PROBLEM.

Some teams are scared of you, but most of the time, you get your opponents’ ABSOLUTE MOST INTENSE AND FOCUSED EFFORT EVERY WEEK. It gets excessively difficult to maintain peak performance consistently. Everybody is thinking about beating you all the time.

Saban’s ability to out alpha the most alpha players in the nation has been incredible.

He is almost underrated. Holding talent together for that long is a monumental task.

But reality looks like it is even catching up to him. I got the feeling last years title game was the beginning of the end.

I actually didn't have a chart ready, I was going off what I read the other day. But since you think that, here's another chart and article that say the same thing. Before you call me out, try Google.

Also, your argument is sht. You can always look at who wins the most games that season and claim they must be the most talented team, but is that really your position? Clemson is clearly the most talented because they win the most? So talent doesn't matter?
View attachment 96044

My argument is that they just won the national title you fu***** idiot.

Save your bs charts please. all of these so called experts ranking kids that pay to show up to events just so these sites can rank them is bull****. Stars means nothing!!

Bama will always have more. So your point still doesn't hold any weight. If you are going by rankings and draft picks saban never goes against a team with equal talent.

That is exactly my point. Whenever he goes against teams of similar talent he loses. That proves my entire point.

My argument is that they just won the national title you fu***** idiot.

Save your bs charts please. all of these so called experts ranking kids that pay to show up to events just so these sites can rank them is bull****. Stars means nothing!!

Did you even bother to see what the tread was about? No, of course you didn't.

Advertisement
Which one is it? You just said clemson didn't have as much talent and now you are saying it's similar.

Like I said, maybe you should read the comment before responding.

Clemson didn't have similar levels of talent until last year and they blew them out. They also beat them with even less talent.

Nowhere close to as loaded as Bamas team. Whatever measure you want to use Bama wins. 5 stars, 4 stars, 1st round picks, 2nd round picks. Bama had more.
I’ve been pounding this point to death. But dudes have revisionist history. Watson made that team what it was and brought them to prominence. Now they just got the recruiting ball rolling. They were hardly ever top 10 in recruiting. Watson made that team. They had way more talent with Kelly Bryant than Watson. anyone can look it up. Recruiting rankings, all Americans, and draft picks. Watson didn’t have anything close to bama Fsu or osu when he played at Clemson.

Advertisement
Regardless of exactly how much a program's success is because of the coach, I think the coach's impact has become FAR too much. All sports, especially football, should be about the players. In most major sports, teams can and have won titles recently with suspect coaching. KC Royals and Cavs with LeBron come to mind. But in football, lose an ASSISTANT coach and your record slips a few games. Why should old men have more impact than the players themselves!?

Because football coordinates 11 guys simultaneously. It is a different task than other sports. One player has the least individual impact in football compared to other team sports.

Football coaches are stubborn and don’t often do a good job coordinating their team based on its strengths.

They have a dogmatic attachment to systems and philosophies.

It is no surprise to find the best coaches are usually the most adaptive and flexible.

Like I said, maybe you should read the comment before responding.

Clemson didn't have similar levels of talent until last year and they blew them out. They also beat them with even less talent.
You should do your research. A lot of those o-linemen and defensive guys were on that team with watson.

I’ve been pounding this point to death. But dudes have revisionist history. Watson made that team what it was and brought them to prominence. Now they just got the recruiting ball rolling. They were hardly ever top 10 in recruiting. Watson made that team. They had way more talent with Kelly Bryant than Watson. anyone can look it up. Recruiting rankings, all Americans, and draft picks. Watson didn’t have anything close to bama Fsu or osu when he played at Clemson.

I know bro I have seen you post something similar multiple times. Very good points by you as usual.

Advertisement
Back