I have come to terms with a Butch Hire

NVA CANE

All-American
I think I've come to terms with the Butch hire. Can't believe I deluded myself into thinking this school was actually going to conduct a real search, spend big money and get the best coach possible.

Now let's hope he fires Swasey and hires a real OC.

Advertisement
Me too and my concern is who he hires as his coordinators. I hope his coordinators are not some retreads like oregeron. Either they're the young up and coming innovative type (Orlando) or innovative vet type (gran).

I think they're waiting on Herman tbh well atleast to interview him but the commits lately show of Davis caliber athletes

Some here would tell you that's like saying "I have come to terms with looking like Brad Pitt, being a billionaire and having a giant *******."

and I would agree with them if we were talking about Gary Patterson.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not mad about Butch but if it is him, I really hope that they made a run at Herman, Patterson, etc before making the decision.

And spot on about S&C and OC. It will be the difference from where we are now, and possible BCS bowl games.

Advertisement
I think I've come to terms with the Butch hire. Can't believe I deluded myself into thinking this school was actually going to conduct a real search, spend big money and get the best coach possible.

Don't know if true but seen on itu that miami has interest in gary patterson and that him and richt are the top 2 choices. The guy said he seen it on tos, so i'm guessing it was ferman. Probably not accurate but who knows.

I am hoping and praying that they would do a real search, if Butch is the best person for the job he should be hired. But I believe that there are much better options out there but it is just my opinion. I am not against the idea of Butch though, but I want someone else.

What the **** is wrong with you people talking down bout Butch come to grips with where our program is at Now none of those coaches yall are talking about would want to come here period its a True Blessing that we have Butch Davis who truely want to come here why would any of them coaches want to come here with yall negative fans man lets be thankful leave it at that.
Go Canes # Welcome Back Butch!!!!

Advertisement

Don't know if true but seen on itu that miami has interest in gary patterson and that him and richt are the top 2 choices. The guy said he seen it on tos, so i'm guessing it was ferman. Probably not accurate but who knows.
All smoke and mirrors brother. I'm not buying the whole "search" thing. It's why I've come to terms with it.

Me too and my concern is who he hires as his coordinators. I hope his coordinators are not some retreads like oregeron. Either they're the young up and coming innovative type (Orlando) or innovative vet type (gran).

One potential advantage of hiring Butch is that he should be cheaper than some of the "elite" candidates, and maybe that leaves a larger budget for assistants. Obviously this is completely optimistic conjecture on my part. I completely agree who he hires as assistants would be critical.

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

Patterson would be swinging for the fences. Can we possibly be that lucky???

Advertisement

99% truth

Butch IS the best coach we can/should hire, all things considered.

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

This is the main reason that I don't believe it will be Butch in the end. Why the eff would anybody (I don't care how much money is available) spend $30, $50 or $250k (as has been rumored) to hire a search firm if they are just going to hire Butch in the end. If they reach for the stars and everybody says no and they fall back on Butch, that's fine but there's no way they spend all that money on a search firm only to make Butch the top guy on their list.

Advertisement

One potential advantage of hiring Butch is that he should be cheaper than some of the "elite" candidates, and maybe that leaves a larger budget for assistants. Obviously this is completely optimistic conjecture on my part. I completely agree who he hires as assistants would be critical.
This is where I hope we swing for the fences. If not established guys, then get rising stars that arent making big bucks yet. Let Butch bring in the talent and develop it and bring in the assistants to draw up the game plans. That's our best bet and best chance of being successful.

This is the main reason that I don't believe it will be Butch in the end. Why the eff would anybody (I don't care how much money is available) spend $30, $50 or $250k (as has been rumored) to hire a search firm if they are just going to hire Butch in the end. If they reach for the stars and everybody says no and they fall back on Butch, that's fine but there's no way they spend all that money on a search firm only to make Butch the top guy on their list.

I agree with what you're saying in theory but I can also see them spending that money to justify a hire too. It might be viewed as giving them cover if they went into this thing certain or almost certain that Butch (or someone else) was their guy. It's beyond stupid and wasteful but I'm hesitant to give them any passes based on how previous hires were handled.

I agree with what you're saying in theory but I can also see them spending that money to justify a hire too. It might be viewed as giving them cover if they went into this thing certain or almost certain that Butch (or someone else) was their guy. It's beyond stupid and wasteful but I'm hesitant to give them any passes based on how previous hires were handled.

It's strictly to provide cover. The BOT wants to protect their puppet, Flake, from making a mistake. Otherwise, they'd have to fire him. No matter who's hired, Flake keeps his skirt clean.

If we had a real AD...

Advertisement
Back