I have come to terms with a Butch Hire

Advertisement
This reeks of the Randy Shannon hire.... too easy is usually wrong

We should've hired a prime time AD FIRST then turn over this to that person.

They should have hired a competent AD instead of Flake. Obviously the BOT wants a puppet.

Golden was fired weeks ago and these ***s just conducted their first interview this week. And they had Koran ferry on a goose chase interviewing former players.

Whole process has been a **** show

This reeks of the Randy Shannon hire.... too easy is usually wrong

We should've hired a prime time AD FIRST then turn over this to that person.

They should have hired a competent AD instead of Flake. Obviously the BOT wants a puppet.

Golden was fired weeks ago and these ***s just conducted their first interview this week. And they had Koran ferry on a goose chase interviewing former players.

Whole process has been a **** show

A **** show is everyday business with the BOT. It's what they do best.

Advertisement
The BOT have the money.. The BOT want Butch. That's really all you need to know.
True but it Ain't the way to do business though

What Franchise said is the truth. Flake isn't the AD. If he was he wouldn't come out and say Goldie will be evaluated at the end of the year then can him within 24 hours. The BOT are running the show and I think they will get their way.

The BOT needs to be reminded of this............

28-23 overall and 15-17 in the ACC

My issue is that we have no substantial proof whatsoever that any of the coaches that have been mentioned over the last month are even remotely interested in the job.

Fuente basically told us to F off and took the VTECH job over ours. VTECH! Didnt even want to come down for a **** interview! (Many posters on here loved Fuente)

"Pipe dream" candidates like MRicht, GPatterson, CKelly, MGundy and DMullen are fools gold. Why set yourself up to be disappointed? You guys know that Mullen is an SEC guy. So is Richt. Why would Patterson leave TCU to come to UM? He is already heading up an elite program. So is Gundy. Why come here and build something when he is at a place that is already where we want to be?

CKelly is WAY out of our pay range. Why the heck would he come here for 4M? When he knows he can get 5.5-6M on the open market?

I never thought Herman really wanted this gig. Would he interview? Maybe. But when push comes to shove..he will decline.

Reality is that Butch is our best option and a **** good option. We arent "settling" for Butch like we did for Golden. This guy has the passion and drive that Saban did when he took the ALA job. He has a chip on his shoulder. THATS the guy we need! He will build a good, young staff and will get us to elite status by Kaayas SR year.

Oh and BTW, he will clean up and snag any recruit that jumped ship (McCloud, Uche, Richards) and will bring on any others that are on the fence. (Bruce, Pie Young, JCook) All this talk about how kids dont know Butch? LOL. Zach McCloud said personally that he wanted Butch. These kids know whats up. You can look anything up on the internet nowadays. His rep is out there.

Get Butch in here and lets get going! Enough of all the BS stalling..

I'll briefly comment on this from his time as the HC at Miami (since that is the most salient one).

The Miami team Butch took over from Dennis wasn't exactly loaded. If memory serves me, Erickson lost his last 3 bowl games. That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense. And we had played top defenses before....The last 2-3 years under Erickson had an absolute sieve for an OL....

Butch also had 31 scholarship reductions during his Miami tenure.

It should be obvious that his record while the HC of Miami during his first stint would've been improved without scholarship reductions (and of course if he would've been handed a loaded roster like Johnson and Erickson and especially Coker were).

If Butch is named the HC, I believe he'd do very well. Better than the first time because he wouldn't have scholarship reductions (or maybe 1-2 remain from the Shapiro issue, but very few). Also, the team does have talent, including a top college QB for a couple more years.

Perhaps we'll find out this week who the new HC will be....

Advertisement
it will all depend on the coordinators

butch has not always hired the best coordinators

if he can hire two really good ones, then we might be cooking

He hasn't? He's had some misses for sure, but most of his assistants have been very good. His coaching tree is pretty darn good, especially when you compare it to that of others.

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

Oddly enough, I have a friend who works for Korn Ferry in a major northeast city. I asked her about the search 7-10 days after it was announced that the firm was retained, and she said there was NOTHING in their database about it. She did say that this was sometimes the case if they were still working out details, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Must be like "double secret probation".

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

Oddly enough, I have a friend who works for Korn Ferry in a major northeast city. I asked her about the search 7-10 days after it was announced that the firm was retained, and she said there was NOTHING in their database about it. She did say that this was sometimes the case if they were still working out details, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

What's odd is that you're just now mentioning this.

I figured I'd let it play out first.

I don't post much, but I've lurked on the boards since Grassy in the late 90's.
I'm an alum with very few connections and I don't like to speculate.

Advertisement
I think I've come to terms with the Butch hire. Can't believe I deluded myself into thinking this school was actually going to conduct a real search, spend big money and get the best coach possible.

Now let's hope he fires Swasey and hires a real OC.

SMH.....

Oh and zero chance he fires Swasey. ZERO.

I'll briefly comment on this from his time as the HC at Miami (since that is the most salient one).

The Miami team Butch took over from Dennis wasn't exactly loaded. If memory serves me, Erickson lost his last 3 bowl games. That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense. And we had played top defenses before....The last 2-3 years under Erickson had an absolute sieve for an OL....

It should be obvious that his record while the HC of Miami during his first stint would've been improved without scholarship reductions (and of course if he would've been handed a loaded roster like Johnson and Erickson and especially Coker were).

If Butch is named the HC, I believe he'd do very well. Better than the first time because he wouldn't have scholarship reductions (or maybe 1-2 remain from the Shapiro issue, but very few). Also, the team does have talent, including a top college QB for a couple more years.

He is talking about his performance at UNC. Not sure why you went on some Tangent about his performance at Miami.

Advertisement

Huh?

The team he took over had one regular season loss, and lost what was essentially a title game versus back to back Champion Nebraska. The 1994 Canes finished the season 10-2 and ranked 6th in the nation.

I think I've come to terms with the Butch hire. Can't believe I deluded myself into thinking this school was actually going to conduct a real search, spend big money and get the best coach possible.

Now let's hope he fires Swasey and hires a real OC.

Reports say the interview went extremely well

I dont really see who's out there that is clearly better than Butch other than Chip Kelly (who we have no idea is even interested).

even with Chip there are some question marks (mainly on defense and recruiting)

I think it is short sighted to say a guy like Herman is better than Butch right now.

my ranking would be:

Chip
Butch
Mullen
Herman

***c off with Richt, Schiano, Mario (LOL), Chud, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back