I have come to terms with a Butch Hire

Because, I believe that we're discussing the HC job at Miami. That is the discussion that's most relevant - not what was done at UNC.

It's true that he coached at UNC and did....okay.... there....It should be quite obvious that the data of most importance are the parts that are most closely related to the job - those data are his time at Miami.

I'll briefly comment on this from his time as the HC at Miami (since that is the most salient one).

The Miami team Butch took over from Dennis wasn't exactly loaded. If memory serves me, Erickson lost his last 3 bowl games. That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense. And we had played top defenses before....The last 2-3 years under Erickson had an absolute sieve for an OL....

Butch also had 31 scholarship reductions during his Miami tenure.

It should be obvious that his record while the HC of Miami during his first stint would've been improved without scholarship reductions (and of course if he would've been handed a loaded roster like Johnson and Erickson and especially Coker were).

If Butch is named the HC, I believe he'd do very well. Better than the first time because he wouldn't have scholarship reductions (or maybe 1-2 remain from the Shapiro issue, but very few). Also, the team does have talent, including a top college QB for a couple more years.

Perhaps we'll find out this week who the new HC will be....

The BOT needs to be reminded of this............

28-23 overall and 15-17 in the ACC

He is talking about his performance at UNC. Not sure why you went on some Tangent about his performance at Miami.

Advertisement
Because, I believe that we're discussing the HC job at Miami. That is the discussion that's most relevant - not what was done at UNC.

It's true that he coached at UNC and did....okay.... there....It should be quite obvious that the data of most importance are the parts that are most closely related to the job - those data are his time at Miami.

I'll briefly comment on this from his time as the HC at Miami (since that is the most salient one).

The Miami team Butch took over from Dennis wasn't exactly loaded. If memory serves me, Erickson lost his last 3 bowl games. That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense. And we had played top defenses before....The last 2-3 years under Erickson had an absolute sieve for an OL....

It should be obvious that his record while the HC of Miami during his first stint would've been improved without scholarship reductions (and of course if he would've been handed a loaded roster like Johnson and Erickson and especially Coker were).

If Butch is named the HC, I believe he'd do very well. Better than the first time because he wouldn't have scholarship reductions (or maybe 1-2 remain from the Shapiro issue, but very few). Also, the team does have talent, including a top college QB for a couple more years.

He is talking about his performance at UNC. Not sure why you went on some Tangent about his performance at Miami.

So his PRIOR EXPERIENCE, which is more current than Miami, is irrelevant. Interesting...thanks for trying.

You're more than welcome to believe that the last 2-3 years of Erickson's tenure were just as dominant as many of the years prior to them.

However, I would disagree with that statement as has already been written.

It was a noticeable drop-off....

Huh?

The team he took over had one regular season loss, and lost what was essentially a title game versus back to back Champion Nebraska. The 1994 Canes finished the season 10-2 and ranked 6th in the nation.

This reeks of the Randy Shannon hire.... too easy is usually wrong

So you're implying that hiring Butch (easy) equates to hiring Shannon (easy) and all of those gave thump up agree with you. SMH
I'm truly speechless. I mean, hate Butch all you want but to say we will get the same result we had with Shannon is a totally biased statement and devoid of honest analysis. Butch hire is easy because of the unique circumstances surrounding the whole situation. A coach with great skills and experience who made a terrible mistake and wants to correct it badly who is not coaching at this moment and is available, so he is easy hire hence it is a bad hire. Great logic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This reeks of the Randy Shannon hire.... too easy is usually wrong

So you're implying that hiring Butch (easy) equates to hiring Shannon (easy) and all of those gave thump up agree with you. SMH
I'm truly speechless. I mean, hate Butch all you want but to say we will get the same result we had with Shannon is a totally biased statement and devoid of honest analysis. Butch hire is easy because of the unique circumstances surrounding the whole situation. A coach with great skills and experience who made a terrible mistake and wants to correct it badly who is not coaching at this moment and is available, so he is easy hire hence it is a bad hire. Great logic.

It's not about hating Butch.

It's about hiring a guy who isn't 65 and well well well past his coaching prime.

That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense.

"First time"?

Try the year before, the 29-$h!t drubbin' to Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl...we didn't even look like we belonged on the field with those cats.

Last edited:
You are correct - that was ugly....And ties in with how I recall the final few years of Erickson's tenure...

I think the 3rd bowl loss (other than Alabama and Arizona) was to Nebraska - And I don't believe they were too great either, but since it was Nebraska I'm sure they had a lot of media hype much like the Nebraska and Ok teams in the 80s (that we handled)....

That includes a walloping from an Alabama defense (with Antonio Langham, Levon Kirkland and gang). That was the first time I'd ever seen a Miami team get crushed by another team's defense.

"First time"?

Try the year before, the 29-$h!t drubbin' to Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl...we didn't even look like we belonged on the field with those cats.

Advertisement
You are correct - that was ugly....And ties in with how I recall the final few years of Erickson's tenure...

I think the 3rd bowl loss (other than Alabama and Arizona) was to Nebraska - And I don't believe they were too great either, but since it was Nebraska I'm sure they had a lot of media hype much like the Nebraska and Ok teams in the 80s (that we handled)....

"First time"?

Uhhh...that Nebraska team wasn't all that great, but they did win the NATIONAL TITLE that season.

Yes, I know.

"First time"?

Uhhh...that Nebraska team wasn't all that great, but they did win the NATIONAL TITLE that season.

Advertisement
Back