I have come to terms with a Butch Hire

Advertisement
You have to use the search firm as a buffer for candidates that you would otherwise not be aware of.

If it leads to something then great...otherwise, no harm. It's only $ and they have plenty of it.

Some here would tell you that's like saying "I have come to terms with looking like Brad Pitt, being a billionaire and having a giant *******."

and I would agree with them if we were talking about Gary Patterson.

Absolutely not .

It's more like Burt Reynolds

I agree that the next HC will likely be Butch. I'm perfectly fine with this. Perhaps a few of the other coaches mentioned would perform better than Butch, but it's likely that we'll never know for sure...

I think that Butch is a "very good" coach who is a difference maker in some areas. I think he has the potential to be a difference maker type of coach - but he'd have to win a couple championships to reach that level. I think he would've done that if he had stayed for a few more years last time. And I do think we were robbed in 2000 in being left out of the game against Ok. We would've pummeled them.

With that said, we better win the conference next year and, frankly, every year. It's a weak conference and no one should ever be within spitting distance of us....The conference should be an afterthought, nothing more....

Our players would be strong, fast and athletic under Butch. It's unlikely that Swassey would be the S&C coach under him.

Recruiting would be fun again - very fun....

We would have the #1 defensive guy in college as our HC, in my opinion...I'll take a Butch defense over a Saban defense every day....

We'll find out soon enough if he is the new HC - probably this week we'll find out....

Ideally you'd hire a bright coordinator that won't turn around and leave in a year or 2. So, do you hire a Todd Orlando type who could be vying for a HC gig in a year or 2 or do you hire a coordinator with the hope he grows with the staff over a 3-5 year period?

Advertisement
I'm slowly coming to terms. My expectations are "realistic" if we hire Butch. We'll be better and compete for the ACC for the next 2-3 years. After that, we should have enough talent stockpiled to compete for a playoff spot. I'm tired of waiting, but this is how Butch operates.

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

This is the main reason that I don't believe it will be Butch in the end. Why the eff would anybody (I don't care how much money is available) spend $30, $50 or $250k (as has been rumored) to hire a search firm if they are just going to hire Butch in the end. If they reach for the stars and everybody says no and they fall back on Butch, that's fine but there's no way they spend all that money on a search firm only to make Butch the top guy on their list.

I agree with what you're saying in theory but I can also see them spending that money to justify a hire too. It might be viewed as giving them cover if they went into this thing certain or almost certain that Butch (or someone else) was their guy. It's beyond stupid and wasteful but I'm hesitant to give them any passes based on how previous hires were handled.

It's strictly to provide cover. The BOT wants to protect their puppet, Flake, from making a mistake. Otherwise, they'd have to fire him. No matter who's hired, Flake keeps his skirt clean.

If we had a real AD...

If the BOT is willing to drop that much cash to make the hire look good, we should just pack it in and be a basketball school.

Like most, I'm fine with Butch as a hire only under the circumstances that better candidates have been vetted.

Obviously, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and if Butch is one of many being considered, but my fear is that this is all that has taken place:

Folden was fired over a month ago and since then we've hired a search committee, talked with a bunch of former players regarding completely underwhelming candidates (Dud, Wario) and have interviewed one individual, who just so happens to be the one guy who would walk on coals to coach at UM again.

Once again, not sure what's going on behind the scenes, if other options are being explored, and if UM is really shooting for the stars, but I sincerely hope we don't just settle on Davis.

Conduct a full search and don't just go with the guy who we know will jump at the opportunity.

I've always been fine with Butch but one thing does need to result from this if he's the hire. Any AD or administrator that suggests any funds ever be used to employ a search firm in an athletics related capacity should not only be dismissed immediately but publicly flogged on the UC patio.

Oddly enough, I have a friend who works for Korn Ferry in a major northeast city. I asked her about the search 7-10 days after it was announced that the firm was retained, and she said there was NOTHING in their database about it. She did say that this was sometimes the case if they were still working out details, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Advertisement
Like most, I'm fine with Butch as a hire only under the circumstances that better candidates have been vetted.

Obviously, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and if Butch is one of many being considered, but my fear is that this is all that has taken place:

Folden was fired over a month ago and since then we've hired a search committee, talked with a bunch of former players regarding completely underwhelming candidates (Dud, Wario) and have interviewed one individual, who just so happens to be the one guy who would walk on coals to coach at UM again.

Once again, not sure what's going on behind the scenes, if other options are being explored, and if UM is really shooting for the stars, but I sincerely hope we don't just settle on Davis.

Conduct a full search and don't just go with the guy who we know will jump at the opportunity.
This is where I think the search was rigged. They got the search committee, they interview "Miami guys" that they know won't be as popular with the fans as Butch would then they leak a couple names like Strong or Shula, etc.

In the end they come to the conclusion that Butch is the guy cause those other candidates just aren't good enough.

If DiMare and other influential BOT members have wanted Butch all along then there was never a real search that was going to happen. Hence why I've come to terms with the hire

This is the main reason that I don't believe it will be Butch in the end. Why the eff would anybody (I don't care how much money is available) spend $30, $50 or $250k (as has been rumored) to hire a search firm if they are just going to hire Butch in the end. If they reach for the stars and everybody says no and they fall back on Butch, that's fine but there's no way they spend all that money on a search firm only to make Butch the top guy on their list.

please they did the same **** and came up with al folden.... i am determined the search firm they sent to miami worked for nevin in their ponzi scheme.

I think I've come to terms with the Butch hire. Can't believe I deluded myself into thinking this school was actually going to conduct a real search, spend big money and get the best coach possible.

Now let's hope he fires Swasey and hires a real OC.

I'm still holding out hope that yesterday was just a token interview to appease the nostalgia riddled zombies. I still remember those dreaded "Botch" games.

Advertisement

This is where I think the search was rigged. They got the search committee, they interview "Miami guys" that they know won't be as popular with the fans as Butch would then they leak a couple names like Strong or Shula, etc.

In the end they come to the conclusion that Butch is the guy cause those other candidates just aren't good enough.

If DiMare and other influential BOT members have wanted Butch all along then there was never a real search that was going to happen. Hence why I've come to terms with the hire

I hope we're both dead wrong, but the whole search committee thing seems to be completely meaningless so far.

You don't need Korn Ferry to tell you that guys like Joaquin Gonzalez are going to push for former coaches like Wario and Dud. You don't need Korn Ferry to tell you that Davis wants the job; the guy has been openly begging for it since Folden was canned.

Once again, maybe things are going on behind the scenes. But this is the same school that shortlisted Edsall, Trestman, and Folden the last time around. Lazy hires are all too common.

Me too and my concern is who he hires as his coordinators. I hope his coordinators are not some retreads like oregeron. Either they're the young up and coming innovative type (Orlando) or innovative vet type (gran).

One potential advantage of hiring Butch is that he should be cheaper than some of the "elite" candidates, and maybe that leaves a larger budget for assistants. Obviously this is completely optimistic conjecture on my part. I completely agree who he hires as assistants would be critical.
I've seen this sentiment posted fairly regularly so this response is not aimed at you personally, but I've never really bought into the idea that we will attract "top notch coordinators" regardless of the budget. This is likely a stepping stone job for coordinators. I don't think an established coordinator is going to come here for anything other than a HC job. Even if they hire Butch at a discount, we are probably looking at Dorsey (or someone with similar experience) as OC. And it's not like Kirby Smart is going to take the DC job. Obviously it doesn't hurt to have extra money to spend, but I'd rather spend it on the HC since the assistants will likely be a revolving door.

Advertisement
it will all depend on the coordinators

butch has not always hired the best coordinators

if he can hire two really good ones, then we might be cooking

I agree the fix is in for Butch. If fact, I pray the fix is in for Butch. For me he is the best possible candidate for the University of Miami. That said, they could be other reasons the search was made. There is a chance that stupid Donna residuals are resistant to Butch for fear he will do the impossible AGAIN. Or some still upset he took a better job. But there is also the more basic "business as usual" thing. Coaching vacancies are big money for every other coach and their AGENTS. Pay raises for not leaving, more money strong armed for assistants, and exposure for the future. Miami will be hiring more HCs and might want to play the game for the agents and the coaches.

My personal favorite theory is that the powers at be know they have no choice but to hire Butch to restore fan peace. If we force them to fire Al, they certainly would not like that. To be clearly force to now hire who most of us want(I know some of you don't) is a bitter pill for them. Doing a search give them cover to declare that while many excellent coaches wanted the job, it became clear that one fitted the needs of the program TODAY, better than any other. Plus it is indeed the safest pick for them.

I agree with what you're saying in theory but I can also see them spending that money to justify a hire too. It might be viewed as giving them cover if they went into this thing certain or almost certain that Butch (or someone else) was their guy. It's beyond stupid and wasteful but I'm hesitant to give them any passes based on how previous hires were handled.

It's strictly to provide cover. The BOT wants to protect their puppet, Flake, from making a mistake. Otherwise, they'd have to fire him. No matter who's hired, Flake keeps his skirt clean.

If we had a real AD...

If the BOT is willing to drop that much cash to make the hire look good, we should just pack it in and be a basketball school.

Just add the search to the ever growing list of BOT financial blunders.

Advertisement
Back