(I have a random question on) Corey Flagg

Advertisement
Neither is the caliber of player needed to win a title but Flagg and Jennings should bring the best out of each other in the race for MLB1.

Comparing him to dykstra is hella disrespectful lol our linebacker room was/is suspect at best but I think people underestimate how hard it is to play mike as a freshman. BJ’s been in the program for 3-4 years and he’s clearly just as good or better. So no we obviously can’t find linebackers that are better or he wouldn’t have played last year.

But Flagg played okay before the covid stuff. None of us know what went down with a lot of players last year so we’ll find out a lot more this year. I’m not saying he’s a beast or even above average but he was our best option last year. Dykstra wasn’t playable lol. If you don’t like him you can throw him in the Robert knowles or Dallas Crawford category but Dykstra nahh bruh.
I wasn't comparing Him to Dykstra as an athlete or a player, just that their recruitments were similar.

And I agree, MLB is a hard position to pick up for a true frosh, but I've never seen a MLB at UM that went on to have a nice career NOT at least show flashes as a true frosh, Flagg showed me nothing.

You don’t need to be the most athletic specimen to excel in the middle in Manny’s defense. You need to be a tackling machine and be very smart. The DL is entirely predicated on disruption. Reading plays takes a backseat to creating chaos. So the linemen get out of position at times because they’re taught to disrupt at all costs. That’s where cerebral backers come in. When it’s done right, the DL disrupts plays that the backers and safeties clean up. That’s why Quan Johnson was the player that he was here. I think Flagg is going to be a very good fit here. My concerns with him are in pass coverage and is he quite big enough yet to take on blocks when he has to and avoid being caught in the wash?

But if the DL can keep him relatively clean and let him diagnose and fire, he can be good. He’s a REALLY good tackler.

Advertisement
You’ll see
Can't wait to hear them say "Flagg on the play".
200.gif

Best pure LB on the team right now which isn’t saying much. Low ceiling, high floor. Solid player. Best case he ends up being an all acc third team/honorable mention before he leaves.

You don’t need to be the most athletic specimen to excel in the middle in Manny’s defense. You need to be a tackling machine and be very smart. The DL is entirely predicated on disruption. Reading plays takes a backseat to creating chaos. So the linemen get out of position at times because they’re taught to disrupt at all costs. That’s where cerebral backers come in. When it’s done right, the DL disrupts plays that the backers and safeties clean up. That’s why Quan Johnson was the player that he was here. I think Flagg is going to be a very good fit here. My concerns with him are in pass coverage and is he quite big enough yet to take on blocks when he has to and avoid being caught in the wash?

But if the DL can keep him relatively clean and let him diagnose and fire, he can be good. He’s a REALLY good tackler.

Bro, ain't no backer that smart to where He can clean up for a freelancing D-Line down-in & down-out...ain't that much chemistry in the world.

The D-Line & the LBs have to be on the same page, matter of fact the whole defense does.

Advertisement
Why everybody keep making post about Flagg?? It’s not his fault he’s the best LBer on the team by default. His ceiling is Colin McCarthy Darryl Sharpton. The issue isn’t him it’s the fact that he’s the best LBer on the team. Who do we blame for that? 🤔

He was a true freshman last year, so like Nelson as a TF, we need to give him a pass. Total failure by Diaz and Baker that we even needed to play him at all, given how hard LB is to learn in year one.

I expect a big big step forward from Flagg. That said, I do not see him as being as good as Shaq. He's slower and has less mass than Shaq. He'll give us everything else we need against nearly all our opponents. But he is subject to being exploited by the better RBs and TEs out there. He's going to need help from his secondary in those cases, so it's on Manny to scheme around that weakness.

In Summary, Flagg is an upgrade, but he is not championship level. And he's also only a second year kid, so we need to cut him some slack.

I must admit I wasn’t too impressed with his performance in the spring game considering all the praise he was getting in spring practices..

Imo I think he is solid but is he the MLB in this defense by default ?

Better question OP: if you only have two LBs on the field at any given moment, which one (if any) is in the middle?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just remember Diaz had the option to take 1 year rentals who were “ok” (like Demetrius Stewart), and said no.

Our HC was a former LB coach so here’s to hoping he knows what he has in Flagg.

I must admit I wasn’t too impressed with his performance in the spring game considering all the praise he was getting in spring practices..

Imo I think he is solid but is he the MLB in this defense by default ?
I agree. The thing with him is he's not that fast or explosive so if he has slow eyes and doesn't trigger quickly he ends up taking soft angles and is late to the spot especially with perimeter runs. I think he's a guy who turns it up on gameday where he gets a feel for the rhythm and tempo. Hard to see anyone beating him out but that speaks more to the lack of competition and depth like you said.

Advertisement
Back