I don't get the "fire him now" crowd

And let me start off by saying that i'm an alumnus of the university and have wanted Golden's *** canned since he lost to Louisville in '13. I don't see what kind of "competitive advantage" we gain by firing a coach midseason considering that you really can't talk to current coaches about openings now anyways. Do you really think Maryland, Illinois and USC are flying in candidates to interview midseason? Whether it's 10/25 or 12/1, it's not like it's going to matter and it's also hard to argue against the theory that the search hasn't already begun to an extent already.

Also, do you really think Butch (if that's the route we go), leaves his cushy ESPN gig mid-season?

Turn the question around... What is the benefit of keeping a lame duck coach here? Let the recruits know now we are moving on. Let's see what the kids can do under a different style with whoever the interim coach is. We need a change ASAP.

Advertisement
And let me start off by saying that i'm an alumnus of the university and have wanted Golden's *** canned since he lost to Louisville in '13. I don't see what kind of "competitive advantage" we gain by firing a coach midseason considering that you really can't talk to current coaches about openings now anyways. Do you really think Maryland, Illinois and USC are flying in candidates to interview midseason? Whether it's 10/25 or 12/1, it's not like it's going to matter and it's also hard to argue against the theory that the search hasn't already begun to an extent already.

Also, do you really think Butch (if that's the route we go), leaves his cushy ESPN gig mid-season?

Turn the question around... What is the benefit of keeping a lame duck coach here? Let the recruits know now we are moving on. Let's see what the kids can do under a different style with whoever the interim coach is. We need a change ASAP.

Everyone knows Golden is gone by the end of the season. Recruits know it, fans know it, players know it, Golden knows it, D'Onofrio knows it, Coley knows it, Frenk knows it.

If the buyout drops at the end of the season, as has been widely reported, then that's kinda the end of the discussion. That's the benefit of keeping him on. The season's lost already, so why not save several million by waiting a month and half to cut ties.

Last edited:

Everyone knows Golden is gone by the end of the season. Recruits know it, fans know it, players know it, Golden knows it, D'Onofrio knows it, Coley knows it, Frenk knows it.

If the buyout drops at the end of the season, as has been widely reported, then that's kinda the end of the discussion. That's the benefit of keeping him on. The season's lost already, so why not save several million by waiting a month and half to cut ties.

Totally get it but work it out with Golden who has to be miserable anyways and agree to part ways now.

The terrible fans who never go to the game, that post BS on message boards are going to miraculously begin to show up if Golden is fired? I have to call BS on that delusional belief. The terrible fans, never show and never will.

Firing him now allows the fans to root for the team. That team may not win but we'll at least be able to get behind them.

I haven't been to a game since the 2013 season. If Golden was fired today, I'd make the trip to Duke, UNC, and Pitt this year alone.

Advertisement

Can't speak for anyone else but for me it's a matter of confirmation.
I have zero confidence in the administration doing the right thing.
So him being fired today would eliminate any way of Golden not being fired if by some miracle he wins out the season.

There's obviously no competitive disadvantage to doing so. At least you send the message to recruits now that change is coming while also at least temporarily pacifying the fanbase and quelling the constant "noise". The sooner the main narrative about your program isn't about when the coach is going to be fired and weekly floundering under him the better.

Exactly. Plus the safety aspect for our players.

I don't get the safety issue. I get Scott got hurt but are u saying it would have been ok for Brady to have gotten laid out. Should they just have taken a knee for 30 minutes. Golden sucks there is no need to talk nonsense.

Very short sighted view. Momentum, fan base, energizing the team, protecting players, recruiting (how hard AG will recruit now knowing he is gone in couple of months?) and last but not least getting head start on coaching search. Look how USC players played yesterday after getting rid of their disrespected HC.

There's obviously no competitive disadvantage to doing so. At least you send the message to recruits now that change is coming while also at least temporarily pacifying the fanbase and quelling the constant "noise". The sooner the main narrative about your program isn't about when the coach is going to be fired and weekly floundering under him the better.

Exactly. Plus the safety aspect for our players.

I don't get the safety issue. I get Scott got hurt but are u saying it would have been ok for Brady to have gotten laid out. Should they just have taken a knee for 30 minutes. Golden sucks there is no need to talk nonsense.

Pull the starters.

Advertisement

Very short sighted view. Momentum, fan base, energizing the team, protecting players, recruiting (how hard AG will recruit now knowing he is gone in couple of months?) and last but not least getting head start on coaching search. Look how USC players played yesterday after getting rid of their disrespected HC.

--Protecting players? From what? You think putting Coley or someone as an interim coach is going to keep players from getting hurt? Please.
--Recruiting? Again...how hard would an interim coach recruit, knowing that he's going to be replaced as soon as the season ends?
--Getting a head start on the coaching search? My bet is they're already started asking around. If they do intend to fire Golden, which it seems like they do (whether right now or at the end of the season), you can bet that they've begun putting out feelers already.

Another issue people are overlooking is recruiting.
Specifically, if he visits a recruit or if a recruit comes on an official visit under Golden's staff, then the next coach
won't be able to use that visit on same recruit.
He needs to be canned ASAP, and all official recruiting visits need to be suspended.

Good point but the official visits usually start after the season ends. Leading up to then, there's always "unofficial" visits.

Advertisement
I'd get rid of him for the safety of the players. I don't need to see another Rashawn Scott tragedy where he's getting guys **** near killed to cover his own fat ***.

That's a far different conversation...

I also don't think there is a capable interim replacement on staff as sad as that sounds

You don't think there's someone capable of getting us beat by the biggest margin in the history of the program? Here's some truth for you to munch on: If the players coached themselves yesterday we don't get beat by 58.

Totally get it but work it out with Golden who has to be miserable anyways and agree to part ways now.

So keep him employed just announce h is terminated as of 12-1 and he is on paid leave

Advertisement
The terrible fans who never go to the game, that post BS on message boards are going to miraculously begin to show up if Golden is fired? I have to call BS on that delusional belief. The terrible fans, never show and never will.

Firing him now allows the fans to root for the team. That team may not win but we'll at least be able to get behind them.

I haven't been to a game since the 2013 season. If Golden was fired today, I'd make the trip to Duke, UNC, and Pitt this year alone.

He is referring to the local soFla "fans" who suck - at least the ones that beetch alot, but never show up to home games, and
he's right.

Not sure why you're getting negged.
You spoketh the truth.

He's embarrassing the school, brand, legacy of the program, etc. Why afford him the opportunity to continue to do so?

It matters you idiot. The kids on the team are not responding to Golden. And you do know Golden has to recruit while he is employed. What kinda effort do you think he will put out on the trail, knowing he will be canned. Give up with your stupid logic

Advertisement
Back