I don't get the "fire him now" crowd

Safety is certainly a concern. Also, if you keep him, he's a dead man walking and everyone knows it. He has lost the team again and the players cannot respect him at this point. You might as well cancel the rest of the games this season. If you fire him and give someone else a shot (and give the players some say in terms of who they want to lead them through the season), however, then you at least give the players some hope and motivation to play out the season. You also send a message to recruits that UM wants to win and won't tolerate this sort of incompetence. Look at the instant change in attitude with the Dolphins. This really isn't a difficult decision. If there is some sort of financial motive for waiting a month or two, tell him he'll be officially fired at that time, but not to bother coming into work anymore.

Advertisement
You fire him now to end the infighting which is embarrassing and to preserve the recruiting class.
You don't fire him now to prove to coaching candidates that you honor the coaching fraternity.
Which is more important?

As a former medic, my job used to be stabilizing patients so I could get them to the hospital where they had a much higher survival rate.

Now, imagine if I responded to a call and a guy was bleeding profusely. He's in trouble. Then the lunch whistle blows and I say, "Sorry, I'll be right back. Union rules."

Point of the story is, if there is a big problem and its obvious, you fix it. You don't wait because of some silly buyout.

Look, if they really wanted to compete on a national level, all you would need is 10 million more dollars put into football. They could get that money from UHealth alone, and it would be a tiny fraction of what that program makes.

We would start making the money back within two to three years.

God**** university of Miami. You took all that football money and built all that cool stuff on campus, don't you think its time for some payback?

Firing him now isn't about hiring a new coach now it's about getting rid of the problem now.

Look at usc when they fired kiffin and orgeron took over, the whole vibe around the team and program changed.

You have a coach who players have quit on so why keep him if you are going to fire him anyway. Make somebody like ice interim coach and give the team some relief.

Making a change now also sends a message to recruits, fans, alumni and etc that we are serious about winning and getting your *** whooped 58-0 won't be tolerated.

The players have quit on Al because they don't believe they can win under him. That is reason enough to make the move right now.

Advertisement
The season is a waste and Alf is a lame duck coach who will be fired soon. Nothing worse for a program than keeping someone like that in charge at the helm. Who knows how much more damage he's going to cause (players getting hurt, recruits lost bc of miscommunication, etc). The path towards fixing this begins with him leaving. You think he's going to be effective in peak recruiting season starting in a month?

And let me start off by saying that i'm an alumnus of the university and have wanted Golden's *** canned since he lost to Louisville in '13. I don't see what kind of "competitive advantage" we gain by firing a coach midseason considering that you really can't talk to current coaches about openings now anyways. Do you really think Maryland, Illinois and USC are flying in candidates to interview midseason? Whether it's 10/25 or 12/1, it's not like it's going to matter and it's also hard to argue against the theory that the search hasn't already begun to an extent already.

Also, do you really think Butch (if that's the route we go), leaves his cushy ESPN gig mid-season?

do you see the competitive advantage of leaving him on the sidelines? we just suffered the worst loss in history.

What should be done eventually should be done immediately. Golden is absolutely toxic for the U. He's bad for the players, the fans, the alumni, the current and perspective students and the staff. He's bad for the ACC.

And let me start off by saying that i'm an alumnus of the university and have wanted Golden's *** canned since he lost to Louisville in '13. I don't see what kind of "competitive advantage" we gain by firing a coach midseason considering that you really can't talk to current coaches about openings now anyways. Do you really think Maryland, Illinois and USC are flying in candidates to interview midseason? Whether it's 10/25 or 12/1, it's not like it's going to matter and it's also hard to argue against the theory that the search hasn't already begun to an extent already.

Also, do you really think Butch (if that's the route we go), leaves his cushy ESPN gig mid-season?

Hey homie...they handing out a CLUE at wal mart...go invest some of ur money a go get one.

Advertisement
What law exists that says a college cannot hire a new permanent coach in the middle of the season, if the coach you want to hire is available, hire him.

It is not in the kids best interest to retain him. What the **** does he care about getting them hurt or burning shirts.
This time next year he will scraping Sandusky loads off the lockeroom floor at ped state. The only job they would give him.

Another issue people are overlooking is recruiting.
Specifically, if he visits a recruit or if a recruit comes on an official visit under Golden's staff, then the next coach
won't be able to use that visit on same recruit.
He needs to be canned ASAP, and all official recruiting visits need to be suspended.

You fire him now to end the infighting which is embarrassing and to preserve the recruiting class.
You don't fire him now to prove to coaching candidates that you honor the coaching fraternity.
Which is more important?

Firing him now wouldn't violate any coaching covenant. He's gotten MORE than a fair shake. It's year five and we're getting beat like a parochial school versus a 6A titan. It's a joke. Worst loss in school history in year five when the team is regressing and has clearly quit should be instant grounds for termination.

Have you seen Golden at the podium? Firing him is the merciful thing to do.

BTW it ****ed me off that he cut short his post-game presser and let the players answer the real questions, while he did a doo-doo soft one-on-one with DBJ.

The time is now.

Advertisement
I'd get rid of him for the safety of the players. I don't need to see another Rashawn Scott tragedy where he's getting guys **** near killed to cover his own fat ***.

That's a far different conversation...

I also don't think there is a capable interim replacement on staff as sad as that sounds

Why is it a different conversation?

I'd get rid of him for the safety of the players. I don't need to see another Rashawn Scott tragedy where he's getting guys **** near killed to cover his own fat ***.

That's a far different conversation...

I also don't think there is a capable interim replacement on staff as sad as that sounds
I want him gone now but if an interim from this staff some how won out and was retained as head coach it would be unbearable.

Show the fans, players, and recruits that the program means business and start getting on track on Monday. Not 12/1. This season is shot anyway with him as coach or an interim. Doesn't matter.

Advertisement
The terrible fans who never go to the game, that post BS on message boards are going to miraculously begin to show up if Golden is fired? I have to call BS on that delusional belief. The terrible fans, never show and never will.

Firing him now allows the fans to root for the team. That team may not win but we'll at least be able to get behind them.

the people who say "we dont have a capable replacement/we might make another bad hire" are the worst.

that is the lamest excuse not to fire this fker. he is not just bad, he is historically bad. he shouldnt even be allowed to coach a high school team. not only does he sucks, but he is an arrogant, excuse-making liar who tries to convince everybody that he is so smart and we are just too dumb to understand his coaching greatness.

lmao at "who do we have to replace him"...look here, at this point it cant get any worse, literally. besides his boy donofrio (and paul will or anybody else from the al golden tree), i rather have anybody on the staff as HC than keep this jersey loser. ****, idgaf if its a Graduate assistant, sht you can put kaayas mom as the head coach i wouldnt give a fk.

anything is better than this pos loser we got who not only destroyed the program, but refuses to do anything to fix it. how the **** can we keep going forward with a coach who frankly doesnt care about winning? seriously, most pop warner coaches care more about winning than this guy. he is a fkin conman. its almost like he is doing this on purpose.

USC is really suffering from distancing themselves from their toxic HC and beating the #3 team last night. Terrible move! By seasons end, these recruits won't even remember Sarkisian getting fired... Oh, wait.

The terrible fans who never go to the game, that post BS on message boards are going to miraculously begin to show up if Golden is fired? I have to call BS on that delusional belief. The terrible fans, never show and never will.

Firing him now allows the fans to root for the team. That team may not win but we'll at least be able to get behind them.

you got picked on a lot didn't you

Advertisement
Back