I am not sure who I want to start at QB?

Yes, and Jarren and 'Kosi are finally getting it this year. They are both highly talented, national-level recruits that many major programs wanted. Your post implied that it's unlikely those two could be star QBs because there was no indication of it last year. Last year is not that relevant given the situation. Jarren came in as a true freshman, had no QB coach to help him transition, and got little opportunity. So yes, he was frustrated and it showed in his behavior and weight gain. 'Kosi showed flashes of incredible arm talent, but some major immaturity and lack of work ethic. Those faults can be overcome with actual coaching and leadership around him. I like Tate, but one can make similar unfair arguments against him, claiming he cut and run from competition.
Have you read the real reasons he got approved? One of the main factors was that OSU didn't want him. Everyone saying he ran from competition is spreading lies, OSU made no effort to keep him from transferring and actually encouraged it. His lawyer was able to prove that Day was all in on Fields for his system and Tate was not going to be given a real shot.

Advertisement
Only issue with that is all three quarterbacks are athletic enough by far to move the pocket & break if necessary. Tate by far is the best choice if read option plays heavy for us. Hes fine in the shorter passing game and good enough for intermediate routes. I'd like to see how he develops downfield a lil more. I think alot of it is because hes so anxious to clear it and his height he loses his passing lanes which cause his vision to be limited. Hopefully I'm just reading into that one. Not judging any of the others but I honestly feel that this shouldnt be too hard of a decision. Jarren is far more athletic than people realize and he throws a **** pretty ball. Only thing I'd like to see him really work on is his pocket presence. Past that the rest is just natural progress that you take from game experience.
I agree with this 100%. Its gonna depend on scheme for me. Zone read/ RPO you have got to go with Martell. If you want a true pro style with a pocket passer then the Jarren or Kosi. I still want to see how Kosi reads defenses. He left me disappointed last year with that. I think its gonna come down to Jarren vs Martell if Kosi does not improve on that. Martell for the Zone read game and Jarren if you want a pro offense.

Have you read the real reasons he got approved? One of the main factors was that OSU didn't want him. Everyone saying he ran from competition is spreading lies, OSU made no effort to keep him from transferring and actually encouraged it. His lawyer was able to prove that Day was all in on Fields for his system and Tate was not going to be given a real shot.
Like I said, it is an unfair argument against him, just like the arguments about how Williams and Perry can't be great are unfair. But it doesn't matter if OSU made no effort to keep him, the point is he chose to leave in the first place. Also, one could make the argument that OSU encouraged him to leave because he wasn't good enough. People can paint whatever narrative they want, often unfairly. That's why it's absolute BS when people dismiss Williams, or even Perry, based on last year, given the context of the situation.

He did not run from COMP. He was never going to get a fair shot at it. Ryan Day is going to run an offense in which Martell does not fit it. Ryan Day straight up just did not want him and he was never going to get a chance to play there. I think if there was a true competition and a scheme that he fit better he would have stayed at OSU.

He did not run from COMP. He was never going to get a fair shot at it. Ryan Day is going to run an offense in which Martell does not fit it. Ryan Day straight up just did not want him and he was never going to get a chance to play there. I think if there was a true competition and a scheme that he fit better he would have stayed at OSU.
Bingo

Advertisement
Diaz isn't going to ruin all his momentum with Kosi starting at the most important position on the team. That kid doesn't stand a chance. He's the quenessential free agent signee in the NFL to fill spots for preseason camp.

I want Tate Martell win the job.

Jarren has a foot out the door and Kosi is a knucklehead.

Last edited:
I’m not sure who wins it but it’ll sure be nice to not have to hold my breath every time the QB drops back like in years past.

Advertisement
The best thrower in the group is Jarren Williams. I was Intrigued by him last year and still am tbqh. I think Him or Tate will be the qb game 1 honestly and I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw both in the game. Tate playing in short yardage situations and goal line

The best thrower in the group is Jarren Williams. I was Intrigued by him last year and still am tbqh. I think Him or Tate will be the qb game 1 honestly and I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw both in the game. Tate playing in short yardage situations and goal line

Yeah but who is the best passer in the group. From the video's I've seen today. Kosi's ball is getting to the receiver in half the time Martell's is.

Advertisement
I could give a rats *** about experience. if Clemson or bama thought like that wouldn't of started trevor Lawrence/tua tagliovia. u start best qb regardless of experience. and to me that's martell or Williams. perry as a passer is still very limited not by arm but accuracy. to me this is a 2 man battle between martell/Williams. I still think Williams will be best of the 3 qbs by time career is over. he is just an accurate passer. that matters in a qb

Ummmm....Alabama started the experienced Hurts over Tua his entire freshman season until they got desperate in the championship game. Also, Kelly Bryant started the first four games for Clemson last year. Not because he was more talented than Lawrence but because he was more experienced. Once Lawrence got a little experience under his belt, they made the move to him.

Only issue with that is all three quarterbacks are athletic enough by far to move the pocket & break if necessary. Tate by far is the best choice if read option plays heavy for us. Hes fine in the shorter passing game and good enough for intermediate routes. I'd like to see how he develops downfield a lil more. I think alot of it is because hes so anxious to clear it and his height he loses his passing lanes which cause his vision to be limited. Hopefully I'm just reading into that one. Not judging any of the others but I honestly feel that this shouldnt be too hard of a decision. Jarren is far more athletic than people realize and he throws a **** pretty ball. Only thing I'd like to see him really work on is his pocket presence. Past that the rest is just natural progress that you take from game experience.

Jarren is being way overlooked here, people forget how highly regarded he was coming in. And last year for him was a disaster in many ways. But if there's anyone that can/will benefit from real coaching, it's him in my view. For the first time at UM, he's going to receive just that(along with the rest of that room)

Funniest part to that is it's the same reason fields ran from Georgia.

Advertisement
Funniest part to that is it's the same reason fields ran from Georgia.
That I'm not sure about, unless you're saying that's how it ended up. Georgia recruited Fields very hard with Frohm already there and if the rumors are true, they paid quite a lot for him.

I have coached three seasons of football so I may not be an expert but I do know my QB each season was not the kid with the best arm and accuracy but the kid that knew who to throw to and when to throw it.

Jarren is being way overlooked here, people forget how highly regarded he was coming in. And last year for him was a disaster in many ways. But if there's anyone that can/will benefit from real coaching, it's him in my view. For the first time at UM, he's going to receive just that(along with the rest of that room)

And I might add, he's been going back to his personal QB coach for development since he got to UM every opportunity he could. Kid has never given up; he just wasn't given the shot to show what he could do.

Advertisement
Back