I’m not reading any other threads.

Maybe so. Oddly enough I think King would have been better in Richts RPO than Lashlees system and Kosi would have been better in Lashlees. Kosi didn't have the mental aptitude to make the RPO reads consistently but the kid could sling it. A spread offense with much easier reads suited him well. On the flip side, I don't think King has Kosi's natural arm talent, but he is a smarter QB and more instinctual runner.
I dont think either is a smart qb. Jarren Williams is the one who ****ed me off. he could have been good if he wasn't a mental case

Advertisement
Honestly, Indy, everything is agree
Don’t feel like you need to read mine, I just needed to stretch my fingers.

Ahh, well this sucked, didn’t it? I said it in the game day thread but I expected this type of outcome, still, seeing it unfold was excruciating. It’s like the friend you know keeps going back to the same relationship or vice over and over again, and you’re still there for him, but buddy is going to **** his life away no matter what you do. This game was a bad idea and I’m glad it’s over.

There are only two tiers of college football right now:

1. Bama/Clemson
2. Everyone Else

OU, OSU, UGA, might cycle through Tier 1 every few years, but they don’t have the same fine print in their deal with the devil. They will always be so, so, so close, but rarely ever achieve excellence. Trust me, those programs do the exact same soul searching we all do, they just do it once a year instead of 3 times (or 5 on occasion).

Now, onto why I’m relatively upbeat, because I am, dammit. (I’m also not upset with anyone who wants to burn all their new merch and/or wants Diaz fired even more than they did before kickoff. I just hope you all have the balls to quit following the team for a few months. But you don’t.)

- MENIAL FORTITUDE - As much as I hate the celebrating after a play being down 30, I think this team actually has a chance to not get mentally throttled down after this loss. That’s good, and it showed in the late game drives.

- THE BALL CATCHERS AIGHT - I think we have 4 solid WRs who will score a lot of points this year, which is an amazing turnaround from last season. Unthinkable, really. If King doesn’t average 250 ypg something is wrong (and something may be wrong), because the players are there and they are more than good enough, imo. Key Smiff had to be subbed out multiple times because Josh Jobe was crying so loudly the refs threatened to suspend the game. That’s not a knock on Jobe, Key Smiff just steals your game and treats it like a voodoo doll.

- OH **** NO, OL YES - The OL is fine. I don’t think it’s amazing, but it was just flat out overmatched against the strongest unit in the country. I think we should abandon anything like a dive up the middle, however, because it makes the game of football sad and me very angry.

- DEFENSIVE FINE? The DL was better than I thought. Young was on the move all night, which only seems to give him a force multiplier. In an normal game against regular humans, it will not be that way. The DTs in particular, and Harvey, looked solid and very well conditioned. I expect to be pleasantly surprised by the results of this unit over the course of the season. Bama averaged 3.9 YPC, which doesn’t even make sense to me.

- FAIR CONDITIONING - Conditioning in general seemed improved. Especially for a D that got drug around all game and often had Enos-era breaks between series, they held up well and that speaks to their mental as well as physical conditioning.

- THE DON, p1 - The Man needs to be the lead back. I love Cam, glad he’s a Cane, but sometimes it’s like he looks for ways to get tackled. I know it’s almost impossible to improve an RB’s vision, so it’s unfair to think he’s going to suddenly bloom into Christian Okoye. He is what he is and works through traffic like a semi. Don is game ready, he's punishing and sound in every aspect of the game. Plus he’s just a complete back.

- THE DON, p2 (The Man Who Sent Toto to Kansas) - I will henceforth only refer to Don as The Man. He broke To’o’to’s shoulder, even though Toto had a clean kill shot ****ed and loaded like he was Dr. Disrespect with the only sniper rifle on the map. Instead his lame a** got recoiled to the moon, and from my couch I wept at the sight. I cannot and will not legally marry that otherwise insignificant play, but I will carry its legacy in my bosom like an unborn child.

- LASH IS TRASH? Guy is a genuine WTF for me. I do not understand what he’s trying to do, or when he’s trying to do it. The marriage between him and King is like that awkward couple who “should work” but just can’t get over the fact that the love each other without liking each other. I don’t get understand their chemistry at all, but I’ve only had a few relationships and they were all super short until I found THE ONE and we’ve been together ever since. Both the dudes running the O act like kissing cousins in these games and it slows everything down dramatically. Can’t run tempo when your flow is mud.

- SOME DUMB SUMMARY - Manny Diaz is who Miami DESERVES at this point, for better or for worse. For every on-field reason we couldn’t compete with Alabama tonight, there are 3-5 reasons off the field we couldn’t. Diaz is trying as hard as humanly possible to figure this out, and he’s probably going to be in over his head in games like this for the next several years. He's never going to win more than the ACC, but right now Miami could not do more than that with Nick Saban himself, I kid you not. We are in the morass of Tier 2, like it or not, until I die. Unless we molt this skin and become a beautiful butterfly.

- SMS, p2 - I think Alabama probably scores 40 points on 95% of the teams in America tonight. That’s not a cover for the defense, it’s just worth considering. If app state scores 40 then ok yeah the D has covid. I just don’t know yet, and somehow I’m more concerned about the performance of the O than I am the D.

REMEMBER:

Eva Green 1800S GIF by STARZ

GOODNIGHT, GO CANES!
from my perch in section 214, I’d say most of this is agreeable. Good work Indy.

the one thing I will say is the marry go round on the Oline won’t last. It can’t.

any time bama loaded up some pressure always towards the right side, it just caved in. Very bad. Scafe got beat multiple times early and then you saw 70 come in for RT, which was the UNLV kid. Saw him have multiple pancakes.

so many of those OL players were simply overmatched.

you could see from the 200 level how ******* HUGE their outside lbs are. They were bigger and stronger than our OTs. Also, the 3-4 is really OP against the run or passing downs. 7, super powerful guys rushing 5 down lineman on a 3rd and long Is always a recipe for disaster.

play calls at times were way conservative and I think rhett tried way too much to establish the run. He did this many times last year, with the inside trap. He needs it to open up his passing so he says, but I think it’s unnecessary.

Early in the game, I know he was conservative so they game didn’t get out of hand but I think we would all would agree that he should have been more aggressive. It felt like we wasted too many opportunities early on O.

for defense, I’m less optimistic. The scheme was just not a match for bama. There was 1-2 stretch plays which everyone was able to get home consistently, but the vast majority of running plays got to the corner entirely way too easily.

if we were in a zone or gave the slot a big cushion we were immediately punished for it. It happened all game. Their 3rd down conversions were entirely off the slot and a soft zone.

VT that same season a week or so before. I understand the frustration in big games, the D isn’t consistent and can easily argue the games we win the other team was overrated while the games we lost because of D, we were overrated and Diaz sucks. But i think there’s multiple layers to it and i think Diaz won’t be DC for more than this year and maybe next, unless our D is dominant from here on out in every single game.
he wanted to hire a dc. the top couple choices went elsewhere. he didnt want anyone else.

Lashlee is from that malzahn tree where they want to run the ball all game. Malzahn never had a great passing attack at auburn. The passing concepts that lashlee used at smu was dykes stuff.

Advertisement
he wanted to hire a dc. the top couple choices went elsewhere. he didnt want anyone else.
Only name i remember seeing was Charlie Strong and I’m glad he said no if that’s the case because I’ll take Diaz over Strong.

Isn’t Bob Stoop or Shoop (whichever) supposed to be a genius defensive mind that many think will be promoted to DC next year? We only have him in an off field role so that Michigan can pay for him this year if i remember correctly?

Only name i remember seeing was Charlie Strong and I’m glad he said no if that’s the case because I’ll take Diaz over Strong.

Isn’t Bob Stoop or Shoop (whichever) supposed to be a genius defensive mind that many think will be promoted to DC next year? We only have him in an off field role so that Michigan can pay for him this year if i remember correctly?
schoop is where he needs to be. it's really a personnel and youth issue. its crazy in their first college game, Williams and Kam looked more experienced their others.

schoop is where he needs to be. it's really a personnel and youth issue. its crazy in their first college game, Williams and Kam looked more experienced their others.
My earlier point was recruiting, and that if we continued to improve in this area, like we have been each year under Diaz, then the D would improve and hopefully be more consistent. If the D looks a bit better when our younger guys get some PT, then doesn’t that reinforce that thought process and shows reason for optimism?

Advertisement
My earlier point was recruiting, and that if we continued to improve in this area, like we have been each year under Diaz, then the D would improve and hopefully be more consistent. If the D looks a bit better when our younger guys get some PT, then doesn’t that reinforce that thought process and shows reason for optimism?
why is ivy playing? he's clearly the worst DB on the team. he and Jennings are targeted. Ivy has single handily cost us games for 3 years.

Today was very humbling. Defense will probably be good against most of our schedule except maybe UNC. If Lashlee calls every game like he did the last drive of the first half and first of the second the offense should be elite. This team will truly be defined by how they play the rest of this season, especially next week. Today sucks because I talked myself into believing we could play with this team, even though six months ago I expected this outcome.

why is ivy playing? he's clearly the worst DB on the team. he and Jennings are targeted. Ivy has single handily cost us games for 3 years.
I think our LB depth isn’t too good yet so that’s why Jennings plays, which falls back to recruiting and you can blame anyone and everyone for that. Everyone has raved about Ivey all off-season and how he’s improved tremendously. So either he’s a greentree all star or had a bad game. Also i think we have 4 CBS and 1 of which is Blades who sat out for like 8 months.. so he’ll play regardless if he’s a starter or not unfortunately

I think our LB depth isn’t too good yet so that’s why Jennings plays, which falls back to recruiting and you can blame anyone and everyone for that. Everyone has raved about Ivey all off-season and how he’s improved tremendously. So either he’s a greentree all star or had a bad game. Also i think we have 4 CBS and 1 of which is Blades who sat out for like 8 months.. so he’ll play regardless if he’s a starter or not unfortunately
Ivy has cost us games for 3 years. he's the worst CB on the roster and belongs at a G5. Brooks has been injury prone, steed had two surgeries, huff just can't grasp it, I mean it's not just the recruiting. that being said, chase should move to lb and flagg should never leave unless brooks is back. Keotra will be fine.

Advertisement
Today was very humbling. Defense will probably be good against most of our schedule except maybe UNC. If Lashlee calls every game like he did the last drive of the first half and first of the second the offense should be elite. This team will truly be defined by how they play the rest of this season, especially next week. Today sucks because I talked myself into believing we could play with this team, even though six months ago I expected this outcome.
Watching this UGA vs Clemson game really just proves the fact that you need to recruit well and well consistently to be a top dog in this day and age. Sure you need good coaches… but Georgia has been killing it the past 2-3 years in a row in recruiting while still averaging about a top 5 class beforehand… so they just have so much blue chip talent stacked by now that the end result is the 2nd best team in the country

Why is unc a exception? They aren’t elite

Honestly, Indy, everything is agree

from my perch in section 214, I’d say most of this is agreeable. Good work Indy.

the one thing I will say is the marry go round on the Oline won’t last. It can’t.

any time bama loaded up some pressure always towards the right side, it just caved in. Very bad. Scafe got beat multiple times early and then you saw 70 come in for RT, which was the UNLV kid. Saw him have multiple pancakes.

so many of those OL players were simply overmatched.

you could see from the 200 level how ******* HUGE their outside lbs are. They were bigger and stronger than our OTs. Also, the 3-4 is really OP against the run or passing downs. 7, super powerful guys rushing 5 down lineman on a 3rd and long Is always a recipe for disaster.

play calls at times were way conservative and I think rhett tried way too much to establish the run. He did this many times last year, with the inside trap. He needs it to open up his passing so he says, but I think it’s unnecessary.

Early in the game, I know he was conservative so they game didn’t get out of hand but I think we would all would agree that he should have been more aggressive. It felt like we wasted too many opportunities early on O.

for defense, I’m less optimistic. The scheme was just not a match for bama. There was 1-2 stretch plays which everyone was able to get home consistently, but the vast majority of running plays got to the corner entirely way too easily.

if we were in a zone or gave the slot a big cushion we were immediately punished for it. It happened all game. Their 3rd down conversions were entirely off the slot and a soft zone.
The defensive part has been consistent here for 6 years. It’s not going to get different. We’ve got to put pressure on teams offensively to win. We aren’t going to shut anyone with a pulse down. The game is different now

Advertisement
Ivy has cost us games for 3 years. he's the worst CB on the roster and belongs at a G5. Brooks has been injury prone, steed had two surgeries, huff just can't grasp it, I mean it's not just the recruiting. that being said, chase should move to lb and flagg should never leave unless brooks is back. Keotra will be fine.
Yea we all know about Ivey. But with Trob coming in and literally every single person saying he’s improved, of course he will play. So bad luck with injuries mixed with decent recruiting leads to our LB room.. i can get behind that. Seems we have 2 good LBs and need to just keep building from their with portal additions and recruiting. Maybe some of the injured return and turn out good as well

This may sound dumb, but I encourage you to look at the box score from last years national championship game compared to this one and that was against OSU. I know it’s not the same team but it’s interesting.

Agreed with most of what you said. Everyone needs to understand college football is dead, it’s bama, Clemson, Ohio st. then everyone else.

CFB is not dead. I actually enjoy watching all of CFB. It’s dead when U’re a fan of a program that’s not in contention. I’m sure Bama fans were saying CFB was dead as we were dominating through the 80’s - 2000’s, doing it our way, breaking CFB mode.

The fact is, we caused this bull chit. Questionable hire, after questionable hire, after questionable hire. We caused this chit. We have teams an opportunity to poach, and once these kids experienced success outside of the crib, and we stayed struggling to win 8 games, that was a wrap.

Advertisement
Back