I’m not reading any other threads.

Advertisement
Naw bro; I didn’t think we would win, but I thought we could compete, at least keep it w/in two scores. This game could’ve gotten real, real ugly & thank goodness it didn’t. But I agree w/ u, the hype was overstated.
I think everyone was setting themselves up for heartache thinking we'd compete.

Like the poster above, I watch a lot of College football (some would say too much!) so I know what the standard is like around the country. Those 4 or 5 perennial Playoff teams are LOADED and everyone else is playing catch up. Now sure you can catch them off guard during a long season and make it a close game - but with a whole offseason to prepare I knew that Saban would have this one in the bag.

Our roster (and sadly starting lineup) is littered with players like Carter, Jennings, Harris - guys that we were begging to leave. We have some NFL prospects, but Alabama literally has them at every position.

I wrote the Alabama game off the second I noticed it was on the schedule. This is the same Alabama that won the NC by 30 - not the same players, per se, but the same relentless machine that reloads every year in recruiting. There were many Alabama insiders that thought Young should have beaten out Jones last year - the same Jones who was taken in the Top 15 of the NFL Draft and is starting for the Patriots next week. I never bought into the notion that we should be able to 'get after' a young QB.

The NCAA has turned a blind eye and allowed these Playoff teams to cheat and consolidate power. We're playing a different game to them - our aim should be winning the ACC Coastal. Win that a few times and MAYBE we build up enough recruiting momentum to look like we can hang with the Playoff teams. That's several successful years away though - and even then it might not be enough. The best, front-running, talent is always going to go to those Playoff teams.

After 6 years of this defense I want something fresh. There’s just too many easy completions.

The funny thing is, I actually don’t think Bama played that well today (maybe I’m deluded). This is definitely one of the weaker teams they’ve had in recent years, there’s no question their defense is elite but their offense didn’t really jump out to me. You also have to take into account that a Manny Diaz coached defense almost always gets shredded by any team with a pulse. Just an absolutely shambolic performance today imo.
To me, it looked as if they were holding back a lot. I don't think Bama was playing to their full ability. Its sad that Bama only gave 50% but we still got blown out

I wonder if OSU fans were anywhere as stupid as our fans after they lost by 28 points in the national championship game.

I saw opportunities for improvement and a whole lot of reasons for optimism.
Apples and Oranges. That Bama team was a monster and clicking at the end of the season! The 21 Bama team isn’t at that level. Especially on game 1. Put that OSU team against this Bama team we played yesterday and the results are different.

A whole lot of reasons to be optimistic. To each his own, I guess.

Advertisement
Apples and Oranges. That Bama team was a monster and clicking at the end of the season! The 21 Bama team isn’t at that level. Especially on game 1. Put that OSU team against this Bama team we played yesterday and the results are different.

A whole lot of reasons to be optimistic. To each his own, I guess.
My point is that there isn't a whole lot of shame in losing badly to the defending national champs.

Winning the conference is still an attainable goal. We will not face another team of Bama's caliber and we know exactly where we need to improve. Those are all reasons for optimism. And should we fail, there will likely be a change at AD and possibly HC.

But we didn't lose to a second tier school or lower. If we don't bear the teams we're supposed to beat in year 3, then we should start the next coach discussion.
So he neve4 has to beat anyone above our **** tier? Good way to build a program. Nice low bar. And I’m not even talking beat, how about stay in the **** game

Advertisement
So he neve4 has to beat anyone above our **** tier? Good way to build a program. Nice low bar. And I’m not even talking beat, how about stay in the **** game
You'll get no argument from me on that. It's year 3 and we're still waiting for a signature win.

The thing that bothered me the most last night was the ****** tackling. For the most part I expected everything else. Waaaaaaaay too many people underestimated bama coming into the game. If we don't stomp the coastal I'll be mad.

Advertisement
There were still more teams challenging for those top spots than now. A season like 1990 could never happen in this landscape. A season like 84 couldn't happen either.

Our fans don't understand that the hyper-stratification we see today in CFB is unsustainable & undermines the integrity of the sport. Since it's inception the CFP playoffs have had the same 4 teams account for 20 of the 28 playoff spots, and only ND & LSU have either gotten multiple invites or won a NC.

Without parity, there wouldn't even be a university of MIA football program. Prior to the landmark supreme court ruling in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984), the NCAA controlled how many times each school could appear on national TV. This resulted in only a few of the most powerful schools getting national TV exposure. Ironically, it was the big schools who sued the NCAA, as they wanted ALL of their games on TV. The biggest winner in this ruling wasn't OU, but the non-blue blood schools, who suddenly had the same access to national media exposure. In the wake of the decision and the resulting TV contracts, we were ushered into the most extreme era of parity and non-blue bloods winning titles in the history of the sport. It's not a coincidence, that MIA finally ascended to being a relevant national program, and achieved it's greatest success in its history during this era. But besides MIA, other non-blue blood programs also won NC's during this era. Programs like BYU, Colorado, and Washington respectively. That type of feat occurring in today's CFB landscape, is virtually impossible. The explosion in revenue that followed, ensured this era of parity in CFB was destined to be short lived, as it helped to fuel the current arms race in CFB. Unfortunately, that is a race this university will ALWAYS be ill-equipped to win.

We can talk about the questionable hiring decisions this program has made in the last 20 yrs, but the bottomline is when you are forced to operate behind these sort of budget constraints, making the "right" hire becomes infinitely more difficult. Shannon & Golden were 2 of the lowest paid HCs in P5. This program was literally the last program in P5 to get an indoor practice facility, though it needed it more than anyone. People love to bring up recruiting rankings, to underscore the pt this program has underachieved relative to it's talent, but as I've said numerous times, in this sport the biggest determining factor for success is not talent. It's resource allocation. That's why programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa St, Michigan St, & Baylor have all been nationally relevant, despite recruiting outside of the 30's. This program's recruiting base only becomes relevant if there's a coach who can properly evaluate & assess the talent. Otherwise, all we have is raw talent, that needs a lot of work. In the end, this program has been a middle of the road ACC program for the last 20 yrs, because it has SPENT like a middle of the road ACC program. Those are the realities, & facts, we need to start focusing on.

Advertisement
I wonder if OSU fans were anywhere as stupid as our fans after they lost by 28 points in the national championship game.

I saw opportunities for improvement and a whole lot of reasons for optimism.

:11263365343-2b1651dd24-o::11263365343-2b1651dd24-o::11263365343-2b1651dd24-o::11263365343-2b1651dd24-o:

Advertisement
Back