(I’m Hoping for Some) A. W. News

The school President, the AD, etc. all are most concerned with CYA. That is, how will they look of he is allowed to re-enroll and then re-offends? So, the safest decision for them is to not let him return.

If I were Frenk, I'd have AW come to my office for a one-on-one meeting and get the sense of who the kid is and what he says about the future (i.e., how sincere his promises regarding fis future behavior are). If I was positively disposed, I'd tell him welcome back with the stipulation that he's on a "last chance" deal. Anything negative, he's gone for good. Then ... cross my fingers and hope he's learned from this nightmare.
Reoffends sure I agree about the CYA approach being taken. But charges were dropped so legally speaking he never offended the first time.

Advertisement
I know that domestic abuse situations are addressed differently by the courts, schools and the public. I think that most univeristy presidents would tell him no..........but at football factories they always rely on the line "the legal system found no reason to punish him..............." We are about to see just how much the U cares about winning.

Not gone lie if we stuck with Gurvan all season 8 wins max. No tape = bring back Tae. UM known for being overly cya but ACCCGOGTFOH.

Advertisement
They need to reinstate him but at the same time put him on some kind of "probationary" program, suspend him for a game or two, send him to counseling, make him write an apology, etc. That's how they CYA.

The fact that Edwin Pata has been involved from the get-go leads me to believe that he's coming back.

Otherwise he's going to get signed by an in-state rival or another top 10 program. Saban will take him in a heartbeat. He might as well ride with us to Atlanta so that he can ride back with them to Tuscaloosa.

Advertisement
I wonder how long they will take to make a decision
FWIW, September 1 is the last day to add or register for a course. Classes began this Monday. So I would think they would make a decision soon.

They might have also already made a decision but are waiting to tomorrow to release the news and lessen the blow. No matter what they do they're going to **** off a bunch of people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The University of Miami has morphed into one of the most-liberal universities in the country over the past two decades. Football has been tolerated since Donna Shalala took over and Dr. Julio Frenk is ridiculously hands off. As long as the ACC and adidas money comes in—and the players stay out of legal trouble—the top brass is happy.

Public perception is that Miami is full of a slew of kids like Avante Williams doing hoodlum-like stuff—the 80's paid bounty era, Pell Grant fraud in the 90's or the Shapiro scandal—which is why you can see the admin punting on the kid.

I hope they are pragmatic and make a well-thought out decision—but can seem them not wanting the bad press or headache, as Miami isn't a football factory that is going to make football factory decisions to overlook things like this.

Hes still a student. He’s likely registered and taking classes.
You sure? His attorney said this to the Athletic like a day or two ago:

"Avantae has a lot of other options, but the University of Miami is home. He's just waiting to get back in school and back on the field," Etienne told The Athletic. "My opinion is if Manny (Diaz) was the decision maker, Avantae would have been reinstated already."

I think he maybe has been suspended from school indefinitely and dismissed from the team. So waiting a decision on reinstatement for both.

Advertisement
Back