Hyper Reaction Needs to Stop

Your perspective is always worth the read @Rellyrell. Although I agree with your assessment, from the outside looking in, I just don’t see any moves being made before 11/20. That’s the last game of the season @Dook. As I’ve mentioned in several other threads, I’ll be very surprised if something happens before then.

The U BOT is obviously an over populated bureaucracy that’s slow to react due to the ridiculous amount of people that have to get together to make a decision. It’s also well known that the majority of them have no regard for the football program or athletics in general. The few that have interest in the success of the football program will be fighting an uphill battle on Mount Everest.

Add to the fact there is a lame duck incompetent AD (hopefully totally removed from the decision making process) and a President that’s just recently become aware of the issues within the football program which leaves a huge leadership void.

Obviously, the first order of business is to get rid of Blake. He CAN NOT be involved in the decision making process of hiring a new HC. I believe the best we can hope for at this point in time is that there are a lot of moves being made behind the scenes.
First off, thanks bro. I try to bring rationale to the board, but ur 2nd paragraph cannot be overstated enough. I completely agree w/ u; I can’t imagine us making any moves before that time as well.

I’ve alluded to there needs to be a complete reorganization of the BOT. There is no linear thinking or direction b/c it’s too big w/ various agendas. In order for that to be mitigated, reorganization & designation of various members responsibilities must take place. Will it? I highly doubt it.

I wish the ones who can care less about football, acquiesce to those who do, or better yet, get a clue on how important athletics are to the health, growth, & stability of ur program….and HOW MUCH REVENUE IS EARNED.

I don’t get it man, I truly, truly don’t.

Advertisement
First off, thanks bro. I try to bring rationale to the board, but ur 2nd paragraph cannot be overstated enough. I completely agree w/ u; I can’t imagine us making any moves before that time as well.

I’ve alluded to there needs to be a complete reorganization of the BOT. There is no linear thinking or direction b/c it’s too big w/ various agendas. In order for that to be mitigated, reorganization & designation of various members responsibilities must take place. Will it? I highly doubt it.

I wish the ones who can care less about football, acquiesce to those who do, or better yet, get a clue on how important athletics are to the health, growth, & stability of ur program….and HOW MUCH REVENUE IS EARNED.

I don’t get it man, I truly, truly don’t.
I’ve been on many committees in my career and the more members involved, the more difficult the decision making process - for obvious reasons. It blows my mind there are that many people on the BOT. I absolutely agree a subcommittee solely charged with oversight of the football program is an absolute must. The business of CFB is just that - a business and a huge one at that. IF a subcommittee were to ever come to fruition, the next challenge would be who gets to be on it. LOL

I’ve been on many committees in my career and the more members involved, the more difficult the decision making process - for obvious reasons. It blows my mind there are that many people on the BOT. I absolutely agree a subcommittee solely charged with oversight of the football program is an absolute must. The business of CFB is just that - a business and a huge one at that. IF a subcommittee were to ever come to fruition, the next challenge would be who gets to be on it. LOL

I’ve been asked to sit on committees to intervene, including one back in 2020 which led to my former company becoming unionized for the first time in its 100+ yr existence. U’re absolutely right, the more ppl involved, the harder the decision process is. We had ppl chiming in who hadn’t been active board members in yrs, completely unaware of the inner workings of the company anymore, yet had a nickel for every thought. Lol.

I’m sure there maybe some that’s out there, but I’ve never heard of a BOT as large as The University of Miami. I was perusing across several other school’s BOT list, and I couldn’t find one as big as Miami’s. I mean USC has a big BOT, but only a select few have voting interest out.

Legit question, and I’m not caping for anyone of those guys you mentioned particularly, but just a general question.

What should we do then? Go after candidates who were “awesome” elsewhere? Like who? Lincoln Riley? What happens when the inevitable occurs? By inevitable, I mean them not even picking up the phone? Who is awesome enough for you?

No one we hire is going to come in here and win us the championship in 2 years. The hope is, we can establish some credibility and relevancy and stack up some consistent double digit win seasons which would in turn allow us to stack talent after performing. We have to start somewhere, and Lane is about to win double digit games in year 2 at Ole Miss, as is Mario at Oregon. We can’t get the coaches doing “awesome” elsewhere, so who’s next? Coaches who are winning double digit games and competing at high levels aren’t good enough for us? Lol. Please, learn me something.
I get what you’re saying and agree. I was looking for some of the less rational people to justify themselves. Like why do people think any of these guys will suddenly go undefeated just because they’re at Miami? People think the Pirate would put up 50 a game and we’d somehow be able to get a top DC and have a good D and win a NC and everybody would get a unicorn.

My thing with Richt was I hoped he could get us a few 10-11 win seasons so the next really good coach looking for a job would think we were worth risking their career instead of going right to the SEC. I just wanted him or Manny or Al or Randy to put a product on the field that reflects our talent level. If Kiffin or any of these guys can do that I’m all in. I just don’t see much reason to think they can.

Advertisement
Could’ve sworn I heard Shannon was the option b/c of his defense, his recruiting, alum, and ties to So Fla. I heard the coaching search wasn’t a search at all, including suggestions given to the admin that were shot down.
Thats how I remember it...we bearly interviewed anyone before they pulled the trigger on Shannon. As a matter of fact it was reported in the Herald that we had an interview lined up with the TCU coach but hired Shannon before it happened.

I think something that people really haven’t factored in with Mario is that while what he’s done at Oregon has been very good it’s a mistake to assume he’d do the same thing here.

It’s much easier to win at Oregon than it is at Miami, especially now given the fact that the Pac-12 is legitimately the worst P5 conference & schools like USC & Washington are down & programs like ASU & Utah are overachieving but don’t have anywhere near the same level of financial commitment as Oregon does.

With USC being down, Oregon doesn’t have any competition in West Coast recruiting on the trail, that’s not the case when it comes to Miami who has to go to War with the entire SEC, ACC & some teams from the Big XII & B1G. Obviously, Mario is a very good recruiter, but Oregon also spends $1.2mill a year on their recruiting budget, Miami doesn’t even crack $500K.

Not to mention, from a personnel standpoint we don’t have the kind of roster he wants, he would have to rebuild the entire thing which will take quite some time. I just don’t arbitrarily think he’d come here & start rolling off 10+ win seasons overnight like every assumes, maybe he would after a while, but I don’t think what he wants to do is something that is easily translatable to this roster that will result in quick immediate success.

Although, because he’s so beloved by this fan base yall might be more patient than yall normally are, which would make for an entertaining board lol

But I just think the best decision is to go with a coach who can take the pieces we have at QB, WR, RB, TE etc & turn that into immediate success, which will translate into stringing together good recruiting classes. Basically the quicker we win, the better we’ll recruit & the faster we’ll be Byke as a program.

If the plan is to become a Power run team that will be 8-4 for 3 years, while trying to simultaneously land top 10 classes during that time, I’m not so sure it’s gonna work out that way, JMO though.
I been telling them

Thats how I remember it...we bearly interviewed anyone before they pulled the trigger on Shannon. As a matter of fact it was reported in the Herald that we had an interview lined up with the TCU coach but hired Shannon before it happened.

Thank u; I mean an article was posted that we reached out Schiano, who told us no, but I was told that basically Shannon was suggested & hired b/c of his “Miami ties” & his attention to detail on the defensive side. I mean based upon the firing of Coker, November 24, 2006, & hiring of Shannon, December 6, 2006, how could a thorough search be done?? Lol. That was 12 days!

Advertisement
People just need to be patient. My understanding is Blake and Manny won't be coming back. It's just a matter of when they make the announcement.

I think the BOT already have a new AD ready to go and are putting together the infrastructure to go after the coach(es) they want.

Fire Blake and Manny. Fire everyone in the athletic department. Hire competent people. Build an organization to win.

Upgrade facilities and build a **** stadium. Pour money in to recruiting, nutrition, S&C, and everything needed to win.

In other words, quit acting like a god**** G5 program and act like you give a ****
Build a stadium?!?! Great, someone resuscitated the dead horse.

To the Lane/Pirate/Mario people, here’s my question. Why do we always think a guy who wasn’t awesome somewhere will come here and obviously be awesome? Like fine, those guys have done better at other schools than most of our coaches for 20 years. What’s the thinking behind the beliefs that Miami with less of everything than the schools these guys would come from will somehow get this guy over the hump?
What coach who was awesome elsewhere came here and continued being awesome?
Howard Schnellenberger 0-0
Jimmy Johnson 29-25-3
Dennis Erickson 50-31-1 overall, 12-10-1 at WASU
Butch Davis 0-0

Advertisement
Nobody thought Miami was turning the corner after winning three close games in a row. The general consensus since Michigan State has been that we need a coaching change. Maybe one or two people were holding out hope but like 99% of Miami fans have been ready to move on for a while.

We need some football minds with great analysis skills to make the best choice for Miami. I don’t want to just hire a guy because he was successful this year somewhere else. Like the WF guy etc. Let BJ and MD play out the year and start a back channel process to put together a small group to pick the next AD. Let him work to pick the next coach. I don’t need to beat LSU et al to the next hire.
if the back channel process hasn’t started already, we’re in trouble

Advertisement
I feel the same way, people think the UM job is easy its not. Hardest job in America
Here’s what will happen.

If it’s Mario, there will be an I told you so crew waiting in the wings once a few losses pile up. (Even though respected posters like LCE, etc are saying it’s not an instant fix)

If it’s not Mario, explayers and others who wanted Mario will be waiting in the wings once a few losses pile up if they even wait that long.

The same people that look at the record and say we are 5-5 with several games that could have gone either way will point to which side they want and run with it — if it’s Mario and he doesn’t win, it’ll be manny left a dumpster fire, no players, complete mess — when for 2 years it was any competent coach could win the coastal with these players.

It’s our fan playbook.

Here’s what will happen.

If it’s Mario, there will be an I told you so crew waiting in the wings once a few losses pile up. (Even though respected posters like LCE, etc are saying it’s not an instant fix)

If it’s not Mario, explayers and others who wanted Mario will be waiting in the wings once a few losses pile up if they even wait that long.

The same people that look at the record and say we are 5-5 with several games that could have gone either way will point to which side they want and run with it — if it’s Mario and he doesn’t win, it’ll be manny left a dumpster fire, no players, complete mess — when for 2 years it was any competent coach could win the coastal with these players.

It’s our fan playbook.
U have to see how the first two classes are to really see anything. Take Jimbo for example the minute he took over at fsu they started immediately recruiting at a high clip. They had classes so talented it would eventually turn to wins especially in the ACC, they were pulling in top 3 classes.............also the next HC wont win alot early thats normal cause the roster is again imbalanced again for the next guy. Me I want Herman hes above all then Freeze a close second........I really dont trust anyone at this point. It could be a situation like the Knicks everyone knew Jordan robbed them of titles but they were good but what could u do? Saban is elite and those other schools are as well and by them being elite it keeps us down. So at the end of the day its a tough job

U have to see how the first two classes are to really see anything. Take Jimbo for example the minute he took over at fsu they started immediately recruiting at a high clip. They had classes so talented it would eventually turn to wins especially in the ACC, they were pulling in top 3 classes.............also the next HC wont win alot early thats normal cause the roster is again imbalanced again for the next guy. Me I want Herman hes above all then Freeze a close second........I really dont trust anyone at this point. It could be a situation like the Knicks everyone knew Jordan robbed them of titles but they were good but what could u do? Saban is elite and those other schools are as well and by them being elite it keeps us down. So at the end of the day its a tough job
I don’t know who will be a great coach at Miami. If it was really easy to get a championship winning coach so many schools would not repeatedly fail at it. I’m not for or against a specific coach, I’m more against the bias, inconsistency and polar bull**** on the board more than anything.

Agreed on stacking talent.

What coach who was awesome elsewhere came here and continued being awesome?
Howard Schnellenberger 0-0
Jimmy Johnson 29-25-3
Dennis Erickson 50-31-1 overall, 12-10-1 at WASU
Butch Davis 0-0
I’m not saying it can’t happen, I’m just wondering why people sound so f**king sure about it.

Advertisement
Back