How Screwed is FSU Recruiting?

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
No way do I think FSU will be able to get much of anything with their current staff and with what’s happening at UM and UF. While I do actually respect Norvell in a vacuum, he is blind to what it takes to succeed in Florida recruiting, and now it’s really too late for him and FSU.

As bad as UM has fallen over the years, we’ve never been that bad. What say you maniacs?

Advertisement
FSU will land their guys here and there. Saw it this year with a few guys that had the Noles on their heart and wound up there. (Miami had that even in down years as well when a 5-star like Duke Johnson stayed home.)

As a whole they are in trouble, though. Outside of Miami and Florida having a jump on the, Central Florida and South Florida will keep building—while Alabama and Georgia will keep poaching.

Norvell ain't the guy there; way in over his head—and his amateur hour staff is about to get served with these aces Miami is bringing on.

Cristobal just went full-blown Saban with a few of these moves. 2023 classes and beyond should be beasts for years to come.

Jimbo was an elite recruiter that masked a lot of what was going wrong there

As soon as he left it really sunk in. It was pretty telling how bad things were when we were playing them and they were more interested in fighting and trash talking than actually playing. It was much different than when both of us were winning and letting people know about it.

They need someone to come in and clean house just like what we are doing now but I don’t see it

That program is broken and I couldnt be happier about it

As soon as he left it really sunk in. It was pretty telling how bad things were when we were playing them and they were more interested in fighting and trash talking than actually playing. It was much different than when both of us were winning and letting people know about it.

They need someone to come in and clean house just like what we are doing now but I don’t see it

Agreed. A lot of fuss was made about the NIL stuff and A&M's recruiting class and while I'm sure it had a significant impact, nobody can downplay that Jimbo is a fantastic recruiter. FSU's roster during the Taggart/NorveLLLLL era's compared to Fisher is night and day. They were a much much better team under Jimbo. He's had some befuddling losses, but the worst thing that happened to FSU was Fisher leaving for A&M.

They're broke and their fans are completely delusional, just like UM during the Al Golden years. I too couldn't be more pleased.

Advertisement
The thing about FSU is the program recruits for itself, even with the embarrassing loss of Travis Hunter they still signed the #20 ranked class for 2022 with three 4-stars at the top of their class.

Their 21 class had six 4-star recruits & their 2020 class had 7, however for 2020 two of them have already transferred.

FSU still spends about $1.5-1.7mill a year on recruiting budget, so they can land a few here & there, but their overall recruiting hauls have dropped off drastically because they’re not diversifying their position distribution, they’re loading up on one particular position group per class & you end up having top heavy classes with no depth, which is why their roster is so depleted & lacking in talent.

They’ve been recruiting in the 20’s since Norvell got their which is subpar for them as a program.

Plus they had a really ****** AD in David Coburn before they replaced him this offseason, their new AD Michael Alford was an Associate VP at Central Michigan for 3 years & before that was Associate AD at Oklahoma as the head of the Sooners Club, which is basically just their fundraiser division to get their boosters to ante up money for big projects. That’s been his primary job has been as a fundraiser, so he pretty much just specializes in getting big money donors to pitch in, he’s essentially a confidence builder, has has to convince the other rich guys not to penny pinch lol.

But FSU’s recruiting will suffer for as long as Norvell is HC because he’s not really a recruiter, he’s a X’s & O’s guy that doesn’t really care about landing big time talent plus he’s just a bad fit because he doesn’t understand the landscape of FSU’s recruiting zones, they recruit North/Central/South FL, Georgia & the surrounding areas in the South & he has no pull in those regions because he used to recruiting AZ, TX & Oklahoma & he hasn’t figured out how to make FSU appealing.

Like what El said, Norvell isn't a good fit recruiting wise for FSU. He also hasn't put a huge emphasis on surrounding himself with recruiters that would help this deficiency. With that being said, 0 chance I'd be like a Gator fan and ignore the magnitude of our rival's brand. FSU will always be FSU, and they'll always be apart of "The Big 3". ****, we took a dumpster dive for over a decade and we're still relevant despite showing on-field results. The FSU brand will 100% pull SOMETHING out of the hat for them. Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Mark Richt, and Manny Diaz all pulled a 5 star player at some point in their coaching tenure. Norvell had one in the bag this year while losing to an HBCU, until Deion had a historic flip.

FSU is f***** it’s a simple as that. If we win 10+ on the field this year we could very well end up with a top 1-3 class. Every new coach gets a first year recruiting bump anyways. We literally just assembled one of the best staffs in the nation.

Fsu fans were used to Jimbos classes in the top 5 year in and year out…

Norvell recruits badly and recruits like he’s at Memphis but like El said the program will stand land some guys because of the history much like we’ve done the last 15 plus years.

The reality is Miami and UF staffs absolutely are significantly better

Advertisement
Agreed. A lot of fuss was made about the NIL stuff and A&M's recruiting class and while I'm sure it had a significant impact, nobody can downplay that Jimbo is a fantastic recruiter. FSU's roster during the Taggart/NorveLLLLL era's compared to Fisher is night and day. They were a much much better team under Jimbo. He's had some befuddling losses, but the worst thing that happened to FSU was Fisher leaving for A&M.

They're broke and their fans are completely delusional, just like UM during the Al Golden years. I too couldn't be more pleased.
For sure. I mean take shots at Jimbo for his coaching results but he’s always been an elite recruiter. He was killing us in our own backyard for years.

Fsu fans were used to Jimbos classes in the top 5 year in and year out…

Norvell recruits badly and recruits like he’s at Memphis but like El said the program will stand land some guys because of the history much like we’ve done the last 15 plus years.

The reality is Miami and UF staffs absolutely are significantly better
Norvell is their Manny and they extended him.

It’s beautiful.

The thing about FSU is the program recruits for itself, even with the embarrassing loss of Travis Hunter they still signed the #20 ranked class for 2022 with three 4-stars at the top of their class.

Their 21 class had six 4-star recruits & their 2020 class had 7, however for 2020 two of them have already transferred.

FSU still spends about $1.5-1.7mill a year on recruiting budget, so they can land a few here & there, but their overall recruiting hauls have dropped off drastically because they’re not diversifying their position distribution, they’re loading up on one particular position group per class & you end up having top heavy classes with no depth, which is why their roster is so depleted & lacking in talent.

They’ve been recruiting in the 20’s since Norvell got their which is subpar for them as a program.

Plus they had a really ****** AD in David Coburn before they replaced him this offseason, their new AD Michael Alford was an Associate VP at Central Michigan for 3 years & before that was Associate AD at Oklahoma as the head of the Sooners Club, which is basically just their fundraiser division to get their boosters to ante up money for big projects. That’s been his primary job has been as a fundraiser, so he pretty much just specializes in getting big money donors to pitch in, he’s essentially a confidence builder, has has to convince the other rich guys not to penny pinch lol.

But FSU’s recruiting will suffer for as long as Norvell is HC because he’s not really a recruiter, he’s a X’s & O’s guy that doesn’t really care about landing big time talent plus he’s just a bad fit because he doesn’t understand the landscape of FSU’s recruiting zones, they recruit North/Central/South FL, Georgia & the surrounding areas in the South & he has no pull in those regions because he used to recruiting AZ, TX & Oklahoma & he hasn’t figured out how to make FSU appealing.
So they have a Blake James clone? Sheeeesh

Advertisement
Advertisement
The best outcome would be for them to go 8-4 and Norvell to get another year. If that happens we’ll have a really significant talent gap between us and them that will take several years for his successor to narrow even presuming they get the hire right.

Open your eyes my friend...don't let your fandom dictate your words..2022 was better than both UF and the U and 2023 will be even better..big facts

Started to do that before he left. Does FSU have enough big money Foundation members to keep up? That's the big question for them.

Advertisement
Back