How Screwed is FSU Recruiting?

Advertisement
FSU will land their guys here and there. Saw it this year with a few guys that had the Noles on their heart and wound up there. (Miami had that even in down years as well when a 5-star like Duke Johnson stayed home.)

As a whole they are in trouble, though. Outside of Miami and Florida having a jump on the, Central Florida and South Florida will keep building—while Alabama and Georgia will keep poaching.

Norvell ain't the guy there; way in over his head—and his amateur hour staff is about to get served with these aces Miami is bringing on.

Cristobal just went full-blown Saban with a few of these moves. 2023 classes and beyond should be beasts for years to come.
But UM had much more talent and got their butts handed to them this past season. Recruiting is only part of the game. Cristobal is another Willie Taggert. Hyped over insignificant accomplishments but never proven to be worth his contract. Keep the faith though. LOL

Advertisement
Their downward spiral will play out similar to ours. And it will all set up for Sanders to come in and assemble a huge staff, like Mario is doing, and it’ll be FSU/Miami battles for ACC supremacy just like the good old days. Bookmark it
They will have to pay unprecedented money to assemble a great staff under Deion Sanders. You are dreaming if you think big-time coaches are lining up to work with head coach Deion.

I don't think there's another board that hypes this guy up more than here.

No way do I think FSU will be able to get much of anything with their current staff and with what’s happening at UM and UF. While I do actually respect Norvell in a vacuum, he is blind to what it takes to succeed in Florida recruiting, and now it’s really too late for him and FSU.

As bad as UM has fallen over the years, we’ve never been that bad. What say you maniacs?

How screwed is F$U? Double-penetrated by John Holmes and Lexington Steele.

They will have to pay unprecedented money to assemble a great staff under Deion Sanders. You are dreaming if you think big-time coaches are lining up to work with head coach Deion.

I don't think there's another board that hypes this guy up more than here.
Hey man I don’t care one way or another if they hire Deion. I’m just making the prediction so I can say I called it. If they stay bad then obviously I’m happy, but it’s fun to have great rivalry matchups as well

Advertisement
Hey man I don’t care one way or another if they hire Deion. I’m just making the prediction so I can say I called it. If they stay bad then obviously I’m happy, but it’s fun to have great rivalry matchups as well
No worries.

I'm fine if they hire him. I think he's completely incompetent as a coach and would be a dumpster fire at a P5 program.

The thing about FSU is the program recruits for itself, even with the embarrassing loss of Travis Hunter they still signed the #20 ranked class for 2022 with three 4-stars at the top of their class.

Their 21 class had six 4-star recruits & their 2020 class had 7, however for 2020 two of them have already transferred.

FSU still spends about $1.5-1.7mill a year on recruiting budget, so they can land a few here & there, but their overall recruiting hauls have dropped off

Agree they have their own inertia so won't disappear. But I think some of it is that their NC is a lot more recent than ours, they're still riding on rep. I think their classes will slowly drop off just like ours did if you take away the 2021 Covid class. And I could easily see them slipping into the 30s in 2023 and beyond.

I also don't see a white night saving them any time soon. Their fans will be screaming for Deion after one more losing season. That should be good for some more tears.

Advertisement
They’ve been recruiting at a reasonable level so they should probably be a lot better than they’ve been but after seeing Miami underperform their recruiting ranking for 15 years, it doesn’t surprise me. Right now, their best hope is that somehow NorveLLLL can maximize his “okay but nothing special” talent and maybe win 8 or 9 games. Otherwise it’s just going to get harder and harder to get back into that higher end of the recruiting rankings

You respect Norvell in a vacuum? That makes no sense to me. Why would Norvell be in a vacuum, and why would you respect that?

People are still desperate to give Norvell credit for slightly improving the program that Justin Fuente built.

Advertisement
I said it in another thread and I'll repeat myself here:

Even if FSU is recruiting itself a bit due to being somewhat a traditional program (it was hard just typing that) they are not recruiting at a great level.
Also what I don't understand is their approach at being too busy in my oppinion raiding the portal. No way in **** as a HS kid I would go to a school, where you can be benched for a one year rental kind of player at any position really, where maybe somewhere else they get meaningful reps early on.

I am a fan to plug some holes in your roster with the portal every now and then, but with the ratio FSU is going with I don't see it being sustainable + I am sure there are other coaches negatively recruiting HS kids to not attend FSU because of that fact.

The thing about FSU is the program recruits for itself, even with the embarrassing loss of Travis Hunter they still signed the #20 ranked class for 2022 with three 4-stars at the top of their class.

Their 21 class had six 4-star recruits & their 2020 class had 7, however for 2020 two of them have already transferred.

FSU still spends about $1.5-1.7mill a year on recruiting budget, so they can land a few here & there, but their overall recruiting hauls have dropped off drastically because they’re not diversifying their position distribution, they’re loading up on one particular position group per class & you end up having top heavy classes with no depth, which is why their roster is so depleted & lacking in talent.

They’ve been recruiting in the 20’s since Norvell got their which is subpar for them as a program.

Plus they had a really ****** AD in David Coburn before they replaced him this offseason, their new AD Michael Alford was an Associate VP at Central Michigan for 3 years & before that was Associate AD at Oklahoma as the head of the Sooners Club, which is basically just their fundraiser division to get their boosters to ante up money for big projects. That’s been his primary job has been as a fundraiser, so he pretty much just specializes in getting big money donors to pitch in, he’s essentially a confidence builder, has has to convince the other rich guys not to penny pinch lol.

But FSU’s recruiting will suffer for as long as Norvell is HC because he’s not really a recruiter, he’s a X’s & O’s guy that doesn’t really care about landing big time talent plus he’s just a bad fit because he doesn’t understand the landscape of FSU’s recruiting zones, they recruit North/Central/South FL, Georgia & the surrounding areas in the South & he has no pull in those regions because he used to recruiting AZ, TX & Oklahoma & he hasn’t figured out how to make FSU appealing.

one thing that isn't talked about that helps support FSU in recruiting, is FAMU.

for decades, the FAMU community has played an very outsized role in creating an environment and culture for black athletes at FSU.

News flash: a large part of the social and cultural collegiate life for FSU black athletes is not happening on the FSU campus. the powers that be at FSU don't like to advertise it, but it's a fact. when a black athlete recruit comes to FSU on an official, they are not hanging out at Recess or Baja Beah Club with a bunch of guys from boca raton in abercrombie & fitch jeans. they are at the alpha ph alpha house, or frenchtown rising, or chillmatic.

FSU is a low level university, not well integrated, in a nondescript small town.

however, it does happen to have one of the oldest and most established HBCU's in the country just down the street. Because of that, FSU can easily offer an environment (although not really part of FSU) where a large percentage of their black recruits and athletes can feel accepted and comfortable. and thus, there's a bit of a floor to how bad their recruiting will be. although they do seem to be testing that floor regularly. :LOL:

Advertisement
Back