Honestly, What The Fvck?

Miami's CB play has been extremely lacking. There's no development with the corners that Miami has sans Couch. Where do you see that Miami has better development than professional teams? If so, you'd hear about Miami CBs getting drafted in the higher rounds instead of going undrafted. As of this moment, Blades and Ivey (both of whom were rated 4 starts) are not going to get drafted.

And if the talent is mediocre, it's up the coaches to bring in better talent.
Well I agree with the bolded part. But there's only so much coaching can do at a position where you're drawing dead at the NFL level if you lack traits.

Colbert and Michael Jackson are 2 guys who have bounced around the league despite being fairly slow-twitch guys who lack the short-area quickness to contest route breaks, or the speed to stay in phase downfield. Trajan Bandy is small and slow. Jhavonte Dean is stiff as a board. Ivey and Blades lack speed and were low 4* at best (after getting late bumps).

Rumph is in charge of taking big, limited corners and teaching them how to play press-man. This has been largely successful, especially before Baker came in and started running more spot drop zone that doesn't match the skillsets. When the corners get beat it's usually on 50/50 balls where elite execution is virtually unstoppable. Even Bama corners lose those battles, and if that's what you're giving up in the pass game it's the sign of good scheme and corner play.

If Miami had more talented corners they'd be drafted high. Tyson Campbell is going to declare and probably go in the 1st 2 rounds despite a very inconsistent career. Had he gone to Miami he might be drafted even higher. You can't compare apples to oranges in the talent department.

What I see in the NFL is a lot of corners who lack eye discipline, who panic when the ball arrives, who lose phase when they look back for the ball, who don't use the sideline or endline as an extra defender. A lot of basic fundamentals that Miami's corners do better at.

Advertisement
None of the highlighted qualities make a lick of difference when it comes to recruiting.

It's no coincidence that the vast majority of the best recruiters wouldn't be out of place selling used cars.
Very astute post. Back in the day, I used to hear that OL coach Tony Wise was a lousy recruiter because he just couldn’t lie. By contrast, that was about the same time RB coach Joe Brodsky was recruiting elite prospect OL Rudy Barber from Carol City. I heard that Brodsky was “grinding” on Barber and I heard a story that the woman who headed Miami area UF complaining on local TV that Rudy was being fed untruths. That was what I heard second hand since I don’t live in south Florida. Of course, I’m sure the UF recruiters were feeding Rudy they’re own set of lies.

The fact is, recruiting us a very dirty business. It is up their with used car sales, lawyers and reporters/journalists when it comes to ranking liars.

Moral of the story: don’t ever buy you’re used car directly from someone you know has excelled as a college recruiter. You might be better off at CarMax.

Also interesting that our RB coach was primary recruiter for an OL. It could be that priority was assigned to the regional recruiter, not the position coach.

Advertisement
Back