Honestly, What The Fvck?

Advertisement
Recruiting is akin to being a salesman, and takes a certain personality to be successful at it. You have to be somewhat extroverted, have a willingness to, uh "massage the truth" etc. Not everyone can do it. Rumph seems to be an introverted dude, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you aren't going to be a good recruiter, you'd better make up for it with coaching excellence. And while Rumph seems to be a decent coach, he's not doing such an amazing job that he's isn't replaceable. There's no way he wasn't brought on in hopes of landing at least one of the two big fish at CB that he was coaching. When they said he was like a father to them, we just assumed they meant a father they loved, when it turns out it was more like the father who went out for milk and never came back.

Wait, we didn’t sign any corners this recruiting cycle? The first I’m hearing of it. I can’t believe we haven’t discussed Rumph’s ability as a recruiter and developer of talent here. Oh and OP wanted Diaz as HC two years ago.

Advertisement
You're misunderstanding me. Of course, the fact that he played doesn't mean he can coach. But, I'm not talking about his coaching. I'm talking about his recruiting. Because everything I mentioned above *should* make him an easy sell for a recruit.
What you’re missing is that selling isn’t a sour the bells and whistles, it’s about the perceived personal connection and ability to close. Selling is a personality-based skill set. Some people are good at it, others not. None of those things you mention help him where he’s weak.

I had not heard what you or Able had posted. Interesting. You'd think in a more personal setting of a living room (or even on the phone) that those issues would be mitigated.
They may well be mitigated relative to how they appear for him in a different context. But that doesn’t mean they stack up well enough compared to the other coaches who are selling the same kids on their schools.

I can’t recall exactly when it came up but I do remember his visits to a doctor mentioned here.
Not necessarily IMO. One on one’s or a small group setting may be even more uncomfortable to some.

I think it came out after he signed Christian Williams.

That was a coup for him, and he was over the moon when he committed.

Kind of tragic how it's all played out since then.

None of the highlighted qualities make a lick of difference when it comes to recruiting.

It's no coincidence that the vast majority of the best recruiters wouldn't be out of place selling used cars.
I disagree. First, kids may know who he is from his playing days (or the parents do). That alone opens doors and is an easy springboard for conversation. Second, right or wrong, a lot of kids trust former players than they do those that never played. Next, plenty of studies on this-we're all more comfortable with people that look or talk like us. A black man walking into a room of other black people (generally speaking) will be better received than a white male. Last, the fact he coached down here should mean he recognizes the local players and knows how to talk to So Fla kids.

We killed Golden and co. because they were NorEasters who had no idea how to handle So Fla kids. I forget where Rumph is from, but he's been in So Fla since at least college. He *should* know how to relate to kids down here.

Advertisement

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

What you’re missing is that selling isn’t a sour the bells and whistles, it’s about the perceived personal connection and ability to close. Selling is a personality-based skill set. Some people are good at it, others not. None of those things you mention help him where he’s weak.
It's just odd to me. If he's a shyer, introverted guy, but he's genuine, I could see at least parents appreciating that, as opposed to some barrel-chested talker promising their kid the world. Ultimately, you have to learn how to use your skill set to appeal to kids . . . if he's not the self-aggrandizing type, fine . . . but you'd think by now he'd understand his style and how to convey that to kids.

It's just odd to me. If he's a shyer, introverted guy, but he's genuine, I could see at least parents appreciating that, as opposed to some barrel-chested talker promising their kid the world. Ultimately, you have to learn how to use your skill set to appeal to kids . . . if he's not the self-aggrandizing type, fine . . . but you'd think by now he'd understand his style and how to convey that to kids.
I think it’s imperative that a recruiter be able to not only relate to the kids , but the parents as well. On top of that, every kid and parent is different and understanding that and being able to relate to those differences talked a special talent.

Advertisement
Also guys keep in mind, Manny doesnt value corners or cover skills, he will just run cover 3 and most college qbs will hold on to ball too long for his exotic pressures to reach in time.. Manny just wants those guys to set the edge and tackle, doesnt value cover skills and rather they be safety size..

There are two options here: Manny is out of his **** mind and keeps him for no good reason or the writing is on the wall with the fact that he got no one worth a **** this cycle and the recruits know he's gone which is why no one wanted to come here.

Idk about you guys, but one seems more likely than the other.

Advertisement
You're misunderstanding me. Of course, the fact that he played doesn't mean he can coach. But, I'm not talking about his coaching. I'm talking about his recruiting. Because everything I mentioned above *should* make him an easy sell for a recruit.
that was the same thing that was said about Shannon when he was hired.He was from there, Played HS there, was a star at the U ,everyone loved him, he was gonna get all of the recruits etc.

The only class worth a sht he got was the most overrated class in the history of recruiting when he signed all those kids from Northwestern that most of them turned out to be greatly exaggerated when it came to their skills.

S.Fla parents,handlers,coaches,kids none of them seem to care about all of that at least not when it came to Randy or when it comes to Rumph.

Sometimes people just don't have the personality or want to recruit.

Wait, we didn’t sign any corners this recruiting cycle? The first I’m hearing of it. I can’t believe we haven’t discussed Rumph’s ability as a recruiter and developer of talent here. Oh and OP wanted Diaz as HC two years ago.

no we got one...of course he's probably gonna end up on offense but whose counting..

And BTW, I have it on good source that there was supposedly some issue (last year) with Banda's kids talking to Rumph and getting pointers from him "because he played in the league." I don't believe that being a former player means you can coach, but these kids feel differently. (They're kids.) There's just no excuse for him being this bad as a recruiter. He's got stuff he can sell.

I disagree. First, kids may know who he is from his playing days (or the parents do). That alone opens doors and is an easy springboard for conversation. Second, right or wrong, a lot of kids trust former players than they do those that never played. Next, plenty of studies on this-we're all more comfortable with people that look or talk like us. A black man walking into a room of other black people (generally speaking) will be better received than a white male. Last, the fact he coached down here should mean he recognizes the local players and knows how to talk to So Fla kids.

We killed Golden and co. because they were NorEasters who had no idea how to handle So Fla kids. I forget where Rumph is from, but he's been in So Fla since at least college. He *should* know how to relate to kids down here.

No kids in south florida know him from his playing days. The kids he coached like Tyson Campbell and them didnt even know he played int he league like that when they were younger.

There may be there parents that do though. But he isnt some big factor dowen here ..especially since there are hundreds of south florida guys playing in the nfl or played and every kid and high school has an nfl representative from it or on it in there neighborhoods.

Rumph is from Delray. He is from South Florida. Recruiting just isnt his thing..whether it be evaluating or selling. Selling aint really his thing, he is likely a straight shooter and ho hum/lackadaisical about it all (thats painfully obvious when he promoted Marco Wilson's signing day when we knew he wasnt coming) thats a lack of awareness even if you have a relation with the kid. Hes the type of recruiter that likely gets beat out for a kid and sends well wishes to the kid after and keeps contact.

When you suck at recruiting..since the cb coach is basiclaly a RECRUITING POSITION..you have to be able to point to guys you atleast got into the nfl. He doesnt have that track record of development either..so there we have it.

Also i may have been the only one that called this when we first hired him. I came on the board and said he had no juice in south florida.

Advertisement
Back