Honestly, What The Fvck?

I disagree. First, kids may know who he is from his playing days (or the parents do). That alone opens doors and is an easy springboard for conversation. Second, right or wrong, a lot of kids trust former players than they do those that never played. Next, plenty of studies on this-we're all more comfortable with people that look or talk like us. A black man walking into a room of other black people (generally speaking) will be better received than a white male. Last, the fact he coached down here should mean he recognizes the local players and knows how to talk to So Fla kids.

We killed Golden and co. because they were NorEasters who had no idea how to handle So Fla kids. I forget where Rumph is from, but he's been in So Fla since at least college. He *should* know how to relate to kids down here.

I believe Rumph is from Delray.

I think one of the problems is Rumph probably has a more old school sensibility.

He doesn't strike me as the type who's constantly firing off funny texts and tweets and building rapport with the players.

You only get so many visits, so a lot of the communication is via phone.

Also, you have to know how to massage recruits' egos.

Supposedly, Chris Henderson silently committed to us, then Rumph chewed him out after he flaked at one of the all-star games, and he went to Florida.

If the story was true, I understand where Rumph was coming from, but that's not the way you handle things if you're trying to recruit.

Get him to sign on the **** dotted line first.

Advertisement
And BTW, I have it on good source that there was supposedly some issue (last year) with Banda's kids talking to Rumph and getting pointers from him "because he played in the league." I don't believe that being a former player means you can coach, but these kids feel differently. (They're kids.) There's just no excuse for him being this bad as a recruiter. He's got stuff he can sell.
Then consider the possibility that the real issue is he doesn’t believe in what he’s selling, and kids sense it. Maybe it’s manny he doesn’t believe in. Maybe it’s himself. Don’t know but lack of authenticity will kill a sale.

I think he’s naturally introverted, which is a tough hurdle for recruiting.

You can be a quiet loaner and be a great football player, but coaches have to be communicators and salesmen.

He opened up about going to a sports psychologist to help him be a better communicator.

He doesn’t have much upside as a coach.
How many NFL playoff wins do Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith have?

I guess Bill Belichick doesn't have much upside as a coach cause he's an introvert.

Every day on CIS I see dumber **** than ever before.

I guess Bill Belichick doesn't have much upside as a coach cause he's an introvert.

Those 3 would suck as college recruiters. **** we seen it with Lovie Smith recently. They are in the nfl and odnt have to RECRUIT players for the most part.

Advertisement
Not to beat a dead horse, but considering our CB numbers (lol), he also had that as a major selling point and whiffed.

Uhhhh......coaching in college football is vastly different than an NFL. And from all accounts, Belichick is not an introvert with his players, he's like that in public because he keeps things close to his chest.

In college football, to be a coach, it's nearly impossible to be an introvert. You have to be able to communicate and recruit. Unless you're on a staff that's loaded with recruiters and you can be hidden away - but then you better be a great technician at the position you're coaching. Rumph is definitely not the latter, and as a result, doesn't pull his weight on the staff.

Those 3 would suck as college recruiters. **** we seen it with Lovie Smith recently. They are in the nfl and odnt have to RECRUIT players for the most part.

Only in free agency, and it's really either money or winning that you're selling. Bellichick for the most of his career was able to sell the latter, easily.

Advertisement
Objectively speaking, what is the answer to this? I mean, he checks a lot of boxes. Collegiate star. Won 2001 NC. Former NFL player. African-American. Coached high school locally. Recruiting should be the easy part for him.

Here is a look at the 2001 starting defensive back field.
1608236750569.png
1608236682953.png
1608236800642.png
1608236653621.png

There has to be more to this I mean.... you have south fl posters here pretty much saying the same thing about the dude so manzy has to be aware of his short comings. He most likely is a part of it and I wouldn't be surprised if Banda's involved either. Those three have been here for the same time frame where pretty much all this DB recruiting struggles have started for whatever reason.

Change requires 100% commitment in all areas so if Mandy doesn't make any changes on defense the dude is a pos and can gtfo. Pretty much erases all the good things he's done. Set aside pride and make the changes even it's on defense where you're obviously involved. Miami wasn't out athleted by Clemson or UNC they were outcoached badly especially defensively. Simple shut too...... like how UNC had its best wr matched up on Ivey and took advantage of the same mismatch all game long. The ran one running play all game long and mIami never stopped it.

Obviously your defense has flaws so you either change and improve or just get ready to gtfooh bich.

Gonna have to keep saying it.. even IF Rumph goes, DVD shouldn't automatically be promoted. Enough with giving guys their first on field coaching job at the U. It didn't work out with Jon Richt & it isn't working out with Patke or Rumph & they're only recent examples.

Smh.. When did Miami become entry level for coaches?

Advertisement
Gonna have to keep saying it.. even IF Rumph goes, DVD shouldn't automatically be promoted. Enough with giving guys their first on field coaching job at the U. It didn't work out with Jon Richt & it isn't working out with Patke or Rumph & they're only recent examples.

Smh.. When did Miami become entry level for coaches?

Uhhhh...Kehoe and Soldinger and Shannon and Chudzinski and I could go on and on...

Also guys keep in mind, Manny doesnt value corners or cover skills, he will just run cover 3 and most college qbs will hold on to ball too long for his exotic pressures to reach in time.. Manny just wants those guys to set the edge and tackle, doesnt value cover skills and rather they be safety size..
FML. There is more truth, and a lot more than I want to believe, to this statement than people realize. This is kind of depressing

Advertisement
The dude is an above average coach. But he must be a real cornball in the living room. No other way to explain it.

None of the highlighted qualities make a lick of difference when it comes to recruiting.

It's no coincidence that the vast majority of the best recruiters wouldn't be out of place selling used cars.

Advertisement
Back