Homer vs Akers

Advertisement
UpVote for referencing The Juice!!! That dude could jump airport benches like no other. Even Arnie Palmer was impressed. Great comedic actor also. I will always have a soft spot for that lunatic.

Go Canes!
Guy was a helluva RB. Underrated. Wonder why he didn't get more recognition.

I'll definitely pay - no problem. @ssvir & @OriginalCanesCanesCanes - just PM how you want to get paid and I'll get you your $100

But looking at some career numbers, and checking back in on the Walton discussion, I've got some questions for you

Walton vs. ACC - 230 att 949 yds 4.1 ypc 9 TD's
Scarlett vs. SEC- 236 att 1,271 yds 5.4 ypc 7 TD's
Williams vs. ACC- 109 att 751 yds 6.9 ypc 10 TD's (and counting)

1) Are you still sure Walton is 2-3rd round NFL talent and Scarlett is just a JAG?
2) Are you still sure it's no question Miami got the best RB our of Mark Walton, Jordan Scarlett, and Dexter Williams?
3) Go look at the NFL stats - are you sure it's still crazy to say Walton, Yearby, and Gus Edwards were similar levels of talent?
Good on u paying up! đź‘Ť

Advertisement
The NFL will settle this argument, lets see what they do there because they are both on horrible teams

Both Scarlett and Williams have a ****load of baggage and don't play special teams so I'm highly skeptical either will be drafted before Walton was in the 4th rd.

I can see the off field stuff playing a factor on their draft position.

I don't necessarily think Williams & Scarlett will be drafted higher than Walton - I just think their significantly better numbers vs. P5 teams and athletic testing, and running style makes them better prospects. I also think Walton getting drafted in the 4th round was a mistake.

And Williams does play ST. He has 4 career tackles. Walton had 4 career tackles. Walton's ST ability has always been over exaggerated. Yes he played ST, but we wasn't particularly special at it. Homer on the other hand is a monster on ST.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can see the off field stuff playing a factor on their draft position.

I don't necessarily think Williams & Scarlett will be drafted higher than Walton - I just think their significantly better numbers vs. P5 teams and athletic testing, and running style makes them better prospects. I also think Walton getting drafted in the 4th round was a mistake.

And Williams does play ST. He has 4 career tackles. Walton had 4 career tackles. Walton's ST ability has always been over exaggerated. Yes he played ST, but we wasn't particularly special at it. Homer on the other hand is a monster on ST.
Williams has a chance, in a class of no real clear cut #1 he could rise near the top for the draft at the position. Williams has been playing at an elite level this year and will test very well

Last edited:
Scarlett is a loser. Give me Walton over Scarlett every day.

I understand the hate for Scarlett. He's a Gator and he played us in recruiting. Walton has always been all Miami. I get it.

I don't think Scarlett is some superstar - I just think if you objectively look at what they did vs. P5 competition, it's hard to make the case for Walton being better

Walton vs. P5 - 284 att 1,092 yds 3.8 ypc 11 TD's
Scarlett vs. P5- 285 att 1,509 yds 5.3 ypc 8 TD's

I understand the hate for Scarlett. He's a Gator and he played us in recruiting. Walton has always been all Miami. I get it.

I don't think Scarlett is some superstar - I just think if you objectively look at what they did vs. P5 competition, it's hard to make the case for Walton being better

Walton vs. P5 - 284 att 1,092 yds 3.8 ypc 11 TD's
Scarlett vs. P5- 285 att 1,509 yds 5.3 ypc 8 TD's

I’m not sure you look at anything with Walton objectively. It’s become personal for you now, even after you ate crow on his draft position.

Walton is dragged down by bad YPC early in his career and later playing through a bum ankle. His tape against an elite front like NC State is why he got drafted higher than Scarlett ever will.

Scarlett is a 30-year-old playing college football behind a good OL. He has no wiggle, average receiving ability and is a loser. In other words, the opposite of Walton.

Walton’s NFL career is starting the same way as his high school career and college career. Low YPC as he adjusts to the speed of the game. As he gets more time, he will get even better and make more highlights like this:

I’m not sure you look at anything with Walton objectively. It’s become personal for you now, even after you ate crow on his draft position.

Walton is dragged down by bad YPC early in his career and later playing through a bum ankle. His tape against an elite front like NC State is why he got drafted higher than Scarlett ever will.

Scarlett is a 30-year-old playing college football behind a good OL. He has no wiggle, average receiving ability and is a loser. In other words, the opposite of Walton.

Walton’s NFL career is starting the same way as his high school career and college career. Low YPC as he adjusts to the speed of the game. As he gets more time, he will get even better and make more highlights like this:

Your post is a perfect example of what my problem people's opinion of Walton will always be - so much is wrong, or just ignored because of 1 big game or 1 big play.

No question he had a great game against NC St.
So 1 great game means you should ignore that in his Soph year he only averaged 4.4 ypc vs. P5, and averaged 3.5 yds or less in 6 of the 10 games we played vs. P5 teams?

You post his 24 yd catch - that's a good play.
So 1 good play means you should ignore that he had 22 carries for 21 yds in the preseason, and has 13 carries for 24 yards during the season, with 1 assisted tackle on ST?

I thought there was no way Walton would be drafted in the 4th round. I was dead wrong. I still think taking him in the 4th was a mistake and his rookie year is certainly backing me up on that.

Let me ask you - do you still think Mark Walton will as good or better in the NFL than Duke Johnson?

Advertisement
Let me ask you - do you still think Mark Walton will as good or better in the NFL than Duke Johnson?

Like I said, I think he can play the same role of a receiving back. Duke with more explosive runs, Walton with more TDs.

Advertisement
Like I said, I think he can play the same role of a receiving back. Duke with more explosive runs, Walton with more TDs.

I have to say you're right, I'm way too critical Walton. He's a better player and will improve as he gains confidence from what he's showing right now.

I can see a scenario where things fall right and he fills a pass receiving/special teams niche for a team. I just have a hard time seeing him becoming a regular part of an offense the way Duke is.

Our $100 wager was Scarlett having more/less than 936 yds this year.

Its RBC b/c he's a JAG.

@bshaw28 ... good to see you’re a man of your word. I’m sure there’s a worthwhile charity out there that could use a $100 contribution or the Hurricane Club student athlete fund would be fine as well. Just send me proof of your donation and we’ll call it square.

I just realized that Akers had 39 more carries that Homer and only 58 more yards, two fewer TDs. Homer averaged 5.9 yds per carry and Akers averaged 5.3. Homer is slept on by the media. Hope he balls out this year.
What is a Homer?

Advertisement
Back