Homer vs Akers

I think Homer's more versatile when you include His catching ability, but Akers is the better pure RB outta the 2.

On one of His long runs vs us, He shed Joe Jackson like He didn't exist, and ran McCloud over.

He's basically all they had last year on O, especially after Francois went down.

Kid's a stud.

And homer was not our offense last when our best player went down!

Advertisement
Akers is a good player but doesn't give me nightmares like dalvin did I'm not super worried about him this year

Both teams rushing attack were ranked in the 70's.

Homer avg 84 yards a game rushing.
Akers avg 78 yards a game rushing.

Homer had 9 total TD
Akers had 8 total TD

Homer had 13 total plays over 20 yds
Akers had 6 total plays over 20 yds

Homer had 3 total plays over 40 yds
Akers had 3 total plays over 40 yds

Homer longest play was 64 yds
Akers longest play was 63 yds

They both were pretty even last season. I will also say that prior to Walton getting hurt. Homer was hardly used in 2 games.

All the more impressive for Homer given Akers had 39 more carries than he did. Especially the plays over 20 yards.

Homer is definitely disrespected, Homer got less votes than for All-ACC RB than KirVonte Benson did last year, which is kind of ridiculous. He's rarely mentioned in the best RB's nationally.

I like Homer better, but can understand the argument for Akers. Akers did have a good year for a true freshman, and should be better this year.

I think Akers is getting a little too much love, largely based on him being the #1 RB recruit coming out of HS. Sometimes the reputation can be worth more than the production.

Just one more thing, Akers was given the job when he arrived last January, so he got most of the reps where as homer was 2nd string until like the third game man.

I just realized that Akers had 39 more carries that Homer and only 58 more yards, two fewer TDs. Homer averaged 5.9 yds per carry and Akers averaged 5.3. Homer is slept on by the media. Hope he balls out this year.
remember what Akers did to Redwine..he, imo, has more wiggle than homer and more upside

Advertisement
Akers has a lot of nice attributes, but where is all this lauding of his vision coming from? Seemed like a weakness of his to me.

Akers has a lot of nice attributes, but where is all this lauding of his vision coming from? Seemed like a weakness of his to me.
People who watch football and don’t know what they are watching

Advertisement
I will also say that prior to Walton getting hurt. Homer was hardly used in 2 games.

And that was a HUGE mistake by the coaches. I don't think we beat FSU or GT if Walton hadn't gotten hurt.

But the perception is Akers beat out a highly rated Junior (Patrick) as a Freshman, while Homer only got any carries because Walton got hurt.

Who is this Akers everyone is talking about? Is he the Indian who use to rub the gator’s belly at the old reservation?

Advertisement
Just one more thing, Akers was given the job when he arrived last January, so he got most of the reps where as homer was 2nd string until like the third game man.

This is where I think "Perception" comes in

Patrick actually started over Akers the first half of the season. The carries were a pretty even 50/50 split though.

Patrick hurt his knee in the 6th game, missed the next 2, and that's when Akers took off. But the perception is Akers beat out Patrick from Day 1.

Homer got almost no carries vs Duke & FSU. And there was such a "We're screwed if Walton gets hurt" narrative that had been built up. So the perception is Homer didn't earn it, he just did a good job filling in for a better player. But that perception is completely false.

So I think perception plays a big part in Akers getting more love than Homer, instead of just comparing on field results.

If FSU has freshman Dalvin Cook last year, we lose. They had Cam Akers, they lost. He's not a transcendent talent. He's a good player and could be great, but he isn't a program changing back. He's not even the best back in his own division.

Advertisement
Imagine if Homer would have been able to pad his stats against the featherweight defenses we faced the first few weeks. He got 11 carries against Bethune but only 8 against Toledo and 3 against Duke. Also only had 3 carries against FSU. His numbers would have blown away Akers.

Imagine if Homer would have been able to pad his stats against the featherweight defenses we faced the first few weeks. He got 11 carries against Bethune but only 8 against Toledo and 3 against Duke. Also only had 3 carries against FSU. His numbers would have blown away Akers.

No doubt.

Homer did well for the most part against the big name teams. His bad games were when the entire team had bad games. UNC, Pitt and Clemson.

Akers is not that impressive. Good college runner who isn’t particularly elite at anything. Homer is better and has more special skills (particularly his burst). Akers is overrated because of his recruiting ranking.

Advertisement
Back