Hire Matt Campbell now!!!

Jimmy, Butch, and Howard had a lot of things in common. First, they was all hard asses. Jimmy and Howard could put on a smile for the cameras (Butch never tried), but all three of them was hard as **** and put the fear of God in to their teams.

You NEED that at Miami. Miami kids are undisciplined, have egos far bigger than their talent dictates, are penalty prone, easily lose focus, etc.

Miami NEEDS a coach that can put the fear of God in to players much more than most places do, and Howard/Butch/Jimmy could all do that.

The second thing they all had in common was they all built amazing staffs. They didn't hire "yes men" they hired other coaches who went on to be head coaches in other places because those assistant coaches had balls and knew what the **** they was doing.

Jimmy and Howard especially was alpha dogs, and you knew it when you met them. We need a coach like THAT.

Advertisement
Jimmy, Butch, and Howard had a lot of things in common. First, they was all hard asses. Jimmy and Howard could put on a smile for the cameras (Butch never tried), but all three of them was hard as **** and put the fear of God in to their teams.

You NEED that at Miami. Miami kids are undisciplined, have egos far bigger than their talent dictates, are penalty prone, easily lose focus, etc.

Miami NEEDS a coach that can put the fear of God in to players much more than most places do, and Howard/Butch/Jimmy could all do that.

The second thing they all had in common was they all built amazing staffs. They didn't hire "yes men" they hired other coaches who went on to be head coaches in other places because those assistant coaches had balls and knew what the **** they was doing.

Jimmy and Howard especially was alpha dogs, and you knew it when you met them. We need a coach like THAT.
I agree that Miami kids need hard coaching. Anyone familiar with Dade County football knows that it's what the kids are used to, starting from pop Warner.

Just win at a place where nobody wins at. Hasn’t lost by more than 14 since ‘16 and he lost by 14 once in the same time span. Also, based on the last two years he’s bound to beat one of Texas or Oklahoma...at Iowa State.

That’s all.

He’s already beaten Oklahoma, in Norman. The Sooners were 3rd ranked. He’s beaten TCU when they were ranked #4. Beat WVU when they were ranked #6.

He’s already beaten Oklahoma, in Norman. The Sooners were 3rd ranked. He’s beaten TCU when they were ranked #4. Beat WVU when they were ranked #6.
That’s why I said he’s bound to beat one of Texas or Oklahoma. He always gets an upset victory.

Advertisement
His best record is 9-4 at Toledo over a nearly 10 year career as a head coach and he's never won his conference. Also, whats his calling card? Offensive playcalling? This is his first year where he's had an offense in the Top 25...do you want to buy high on him? Defensively...you're looking at guy whose teams top out in the 30s nationally.

You'd be asking him to be a lot more than he's ever been at this school and it'll take him more time than anyone would give him to turn this thing into something significant and we are a long way away. Coaches in the same breath, I'd consider Dino Babers a better candidate and he's having a terrible year at Syracuse. More successful in the MAC. Popped higher at Syracuse. Offense from the Briles tree that I think would destroy here. Fun, energetic guy. Similarly, PJ Fleck, another guy in the same mold, similar career trajectory, that I think is a better coach than Campbell.

Listen man, I like Matt Campbell...a lot. I think he's a very good coach...one that is still on the ascent. But I don't think he's elite and I don't think he'd be successful here. He'd have his career trajectory immediately trend southward in this hellhole.

Just because I've got diarrhea of the fingers in this post...just to discuss PJ Fleck...do you think anyone on this forum or among our fanbase would ever buy into his ROW THE BOAT gimmick? He'd be clowned.

Also, lets be honest about Campbell...our BoT and decision makers don't even know who the fvck he is. These clowns are clueless. They're already ****ing their peckers to somehow finesse Mario Cristobal here in the wake of this Manny Diaz disaster.

No offense but your take is extremely short sighted. First Campbells calling and background is in the Offensive line. You know something Miami desperately needs.

Second if you are waiting for a coach to win something really significant before you hire them in this current market, it is most likely way to late. Good ADs protect their investments with large contracts and even larger buyouts. So no you are not going to get a coach coming off winning their division or conference. AD's don't let their coaches get to the open market.

Next Campbell is young, only 39. He isn't in his late 50's like Dino. That means he has lots of room for growth and if hit you will have him for a decade.

Also, what is PJ Fleck or Babers (which are both light years better than Manny) signature wins? Bc Campbell has a bunch of them.

You know who also didn't win anything of significance in a big conference but upset a bunch of people he had no business beating? Nick Saban

No offense but your take is extremely short sighted. First Campbells calling and background is in the Offensive line. You know something Miami desperately needs.

Second if you are waiting for a coach to win something really significant before you hire them in this current market, it is most likely way to late. Good ADs protect their investments with large contracts and even larger buyouts. So no you are not going to get a coach coming off winning their division or conference. AD's don't let their coaches get to the open market.

Next Campbell is young, only 39. He isn't in his late 50's like Dino. That means he has lots of room for growth and if hit you will have him for a decade.

Also, what is PJ Fleck or Babers (which are both light years better than Manny) signature wins? Bc Campbell has a bunch of them.

You know who also didn't win anything of significance in a big conference but upset a bunch of people he had no business beating? Nick Saban

Dino Babers beat Clemson and won the MAC at the same time Campbell was in it at his rival school. He's also won 10 games in a season...something Campbell has never done.
PJ Fleck has beaten Wisconsin, went undefeated in the regular season and won the MAC.

You mention Nick Saban? 1990 Toledo Rockets won the MAC in Saban's first season as head coach. He got Michigan State to its highest ranking finish of a season since the 1960s. He took a "sometimes pretty decent" LSU program to a National Championship in four years. Nick Saban was legitimately great at every stop of his tenure except the Miami Dolphins.

Matt Campbell doesn't have a single win better than those and he's not accomplished anything close to those coaches yet. That isn't to say he won't...he has a great shot at 10 wins for the first time in his career this season...but right now, a lot of his stock is projection. Would I take a risk on it? Sure. Is he #1 on my list...no.

You're making me tear apart his resume when I really like the guy as a coach. As an OL man and developer of talent on that side of the ball...he's had ONE total offensive lineman drafted to the NFL throughout his D1 career going back to Bowling Green (Kory Lichtensteiger - a 3x All-Mac player before Campbell showed up).

Miami is a Power 5 program with 5 national titles in my lifetime. They currently suck because they are unwilling to do what it takes to hire a real coach. Most names I read on this forum are once again, Miami being pretty thrifty at best to hiring token sure-to-fail candidates at worst (Butch, Mario, Diaz, Randy Shannon, Coker, Richt...)...

I think you just really like the guy and can't look at him objectively. Campbell has gotten a lot of miles off Urban Meyer's interest in him while he was at Toledo. Its basically been the foundation for his reputation. And again, this is coming from someone who really likes him as a head coach.

In nearly the same mold, I'd say Fleck is a much better coaching candidate than Campbell...and Miami is such a ****show, I don't think Fleck could row the boat hard enough, fast enough to succeed here.

Advertisement
Dino Babers beat Clemson and won the MAC at the same time Campbell was in it at his rival school. He's also won 10 games in a season...something Campbell has never done.
PJ Fleck has beaten Wisconsin, went undefeated in the regular season and won the MAC.

You mention Nick Saban? 1990 Toledo Rockets won the MAC in Saban's first season as head coach. He got Michigan State to its highest ranking finish of a season since the 1960s. He took a "sometimes pretty decent" LSU program to a National Championship in four years. Nick Saban was legitimately great at every stop of his tenure except the Miami Dolphins.

Matt Campbell doesn't have a single win better than those and he's not accomplished anything close to those coaches yet. That isn't to say he won't...he has a great shot at 10 wins for the first time in his career this season...but right now, a lot of his stock is projection. Would I take a risk on it? Sure. Is he #1 on my list...no.

You're making me tear apart his resume when I really like the guy as a coach. As an OL man and developer of talent on that side of the ball...he's had ONE total offensive lineman drafted to the NFL throughout his D1 career going back to Bowling Green (Kory Lichtensteiger - a 3x All-Mac player before Campbell showed up).

Miami is a Power 5 program with 5 national titles in my lifetime. They currently suck because they are unwilling to do what it takes to hire a real coach. Most names I read on this forum are once again, Miami being pretty thrifty at best to hiring token sure-to-fail candidates at worst (Butch, Mario, Diaz, Randy Shannon, Coker, Richt...)...

I think you just really like the guy and can't look at him objectively. Campbell has gotten a lot of miles off Urban Meyer's interest in him while he was at Toledo. Its basically been the foundation for his reputation. And again, this is coming from someone who really likes him as a head coach.

In nearly the same mold, I'd say Fleck is a much better coaching candidate than Campbell...and Miami is such a ****show, I don't think Fleck could row the boat hard enough, fast enough to succeed here.
Campbell has beaten Lincoln Riley, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, and Dana Holgerson. He also recruited David Montgomery, Hakeem Butler, Bubba Purdy, and Leon Esposito as his NFL guys and yet has still beaten 3 top ten teams at ISU but you’re over here talking about Wisconsin? Did Dino also beat two of them with his backup QB? Matt Campbell did and last time I checked Dino needed Clemson’s starter hurt.

The man hasn’t lost by more than 14 since ‘16 but yet he’s unproven...and he’s only lost by 14 once since ‘16. He’s in every single game he coaches since ‘16 yet he’s unproven...at Iowa State might I add

Last edited:

Dino Baber won the MAC the year after Clawson won it. How responsible was he for that team?

Why I brought up Saban is to say, to me Campbell is in his "early MSU saban years". Where he wasn't winning the division or conference but is upsetting a lot of better higher rated programs.

And to knock Campbell for not winning ten games is extremely short sighted. The year he left Toledo, before the bowl game, they won 9 games. They blew out Temple in the bowl game. Does Campbell not win that game for his 10th win if he is coaching that game?

Urban Meyers recommendation has nothing to do with him beating multiple top ranked teams.

Dino Baber won the MAC the year after Clawson won it. How responsible was he for that team?

Why I brought up Saban is to say, to me Campbell is in his "early MSU saban years". Where he wasn't winning the division or conference but is upsetting a lot of better higher rated programs.

And to knock Campbell for not winning ten games is extremely short sighted. The year he left Toledo, before the bowl game, they won 9 games. They blew out Temple in the bowl game. Does Campbell not win that game for his 10th win if he is coaching that game?

Urban Meyers recommendation has nothing to do with him beating multiple top ranked teams.

No. Coaches do not get credit for wins they don't actually coach in to win. I don't know whats short sighted about wanting a coach that has actually won if the goal is to actually win football games.

Listen, man. I'm not going to keep going in circles with you. Matt Campbell is a good coach but hasn't actually done anything yet. He has a few nice wins - most coaches at this level that have been employed for any amount of time have some nice wins. If thats all your resume has is a few nice wins while going 8-4...I'm not going to pretend to be impressed. You clearly love the guy...cool. I hope you get your wish, but I'll be first in line to critique the hire, just like I would any other coach that was hired that hasn't actually won anything. I'll revise my take when he wins the Big XII after winning his next 5 games. If he can't win the Big XII, what makes you think he can win the ACC at Miami? Talent? Miami is putting out 5th round picks just like Iowa State at this point. We're starting two-star freshmen left tackles with App State offers just like Iowa State would be.

Also, he's never beaten IOWA. Can just imagine this guy going 0-4 against Florida State in his first four years and WhatTheHell puts together an awesome mockup merging Al Golden and Matt Campbell's face in his avatar.

Mario Cristobal took FIU to its first Bowl Game ever, won a conference title, has worked under the greatest coach to ever lace'em up and the greatest evaluator to ever lace'em up, is legitimately one of the best recruiters in the nation, has beaten Chris Petersen twice, and has sent his fair share of players to the NFL while maxing out as like a 9-win coach until this year...and I think he'd be a horrible, uninspiring hire at this school.

PJ Fleck is 38 years old and has a much better resume than Campbell in every way...and I don't think he'd win here either.

I'm not sure whats so hard to grasp. You're taking a leap of faith. I think we're not winning with leap of faith candidates.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Campbell for UM

never happening. he wouldnt leave ISU for UM. he was turning down NFL looks. miami isnt a big program from the offers he could get if he were truly interested in leaving ISU. be realistic. also, we wont pay what it owuld cost to bring him here (somewhere between 5-7 per). he jsut signed a six year extension in 17 that gets him around 3.5 which is currently more than manny. it would cost a ton to pay the buyout plus start him at 5 per (which is what frost and taggert got). we dont pay that (never said we cant afford to, just said we wont bc thats the reality of the situation -- small fanbase, not exactly giving boosters)

Advertisement
No. Coaches do not get credit for wins they don't actually coach in to win. I don't know whats short sighted about wanting a coach that has actually won if the goal is to actually win football games.

Listen, man. I'm not going to keep going in circles with you. Matt Campbell is a good coach but hasn't actually done anything yet. He has a few nice wins - most coaches at this level that have been employed for any amount of time have some nice wins. If thats all your resume has is a few nice wins while going 8-4...I'm not going to pretend to be impressed. You clearly love the guy...cool. I hope you get your wish, but I'll be first in line to critique the hire, just like I would any other coach that was hired that hasn't actually won anything. I'll revise my take when he wins the Big XII after winning his next 5 games. If he can't win the Big XII, what makes you think he can win the ACC at Miami? Talent? Miami is putting out 5th round picks just like Iowa State at this point. We're starting two-star freshmen left tackles with App State offers just like Iowa State would be.

Also, he's never beaten IOWA. Can just imagine this guy going 0-4 against Florida State in his first four years and WhatTheHell puts together an awesome mockup merging Al Golden and Matt Campbell's face in his avatar.

Mario Cristobal took FIU to its first Bowl Game ever, won a conference title, has worked under the greatest coach to ever lace'em up and the greatest evaluator to ever lace'em up, is legitimately one of the best recruiters in the nation, has beaten Chris Petersen twice, and has sent his fair share of players to the NFL while maxing out as like a 9-win coach until this year...and I think he'd be a horrible, uninspiring hire at this school.

PJ Fleck is 38 years old and has a much better resume than Campbell in every way...and I don't think he'd win here either.

I'm not sure whats so hard to grasp. You're taking a leap of faith. I think we're not winning with leap of faith candidates.

Phenomenal post, especially in regards to the amount of talent at each school.

If Miami-Dade kids are used to hard coaching, why do they come across as soft quitters?
When they play for Saban are they soft quitters? Teams tend to take on the personalities of their coaches. In the past decade Richt has been the only coach with enough balls to get at the refs. The rest of our pacifist coaches just go for anything, and there teams play the same way. Go for anything and never get upset.

When they play for Saban are they soft quitters? Teams tend to take on the personalities of their coaches. In the past decade Richt has been the only coach with enough balls to get at the refs. The rest of our pacifist coaches just go for anything, and there teams play the same way. Go for anything and never get upset.

When they play for Saban they are two or three among 100 players. That's a lot different than putting 60 of them on the same team.

Advertisement
Back