Helfrich at Miami last week

Richt giving up play calling duties

Would be ridiculously fantastic news. It's the only aspect of the current regime that still has me worried.

I am worried about it as well but I don't see CMR giving up that duty. I am interested to see what CMR does to our Offense with a QB who is mobile. I hope it'll mean he will be a little more creative with his plays.

I hear you, but I'm highly skeptical. He's got conservative disease....highly contagious and not easily cured.

The schedule is about as easy as it could be this year, so if he doesn't show improvement calling plays we'll know the answer soon enough.

Advertisement
I really feel like Richt is wanting to transition into an offense closer to what Clemson runs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That can't be the case....Sitkowski said that one of the reasons he committed to Miami is so he can run a pro style offense...I don't want anything close to a Clemson offense....you see what that does to qbs at the next level....

Yea, who would want to win 11 or 12 games a year maybe a national contender every year because of what that does to a QB in the NFL. Instead we will be completely content being mediocre as long as our QB does great in the NFL. So much logic it hurts!

Does anyone know the connection between Rick and Helfrich? I remember an interview he did with Russillo & Kanell like the day after Phil Knight fired him and I vaguely recall him mentioning Rick's name in passing when they were talking about his overall career. I believe Helfrich is a career west coast guy though so I'm drawing a blank aside from guessing some Fellowship of Christian Athletes type deal.

Helfrichs stock is very low right now, he'd make himself a lot of money if he was just a QC guy like Sarkesian on our staff for a couple of years since he's going to be walking away with a championship ring. Richt will not give up OC duties which is fine (he seemed to figure out a rhythm at the end of the year), but it could only help to have another set of eyes well-versed in uptempo offenses. Speed kills and Miami athletes would put the Oregon Ducks athletes to shame.

**** cracks me up here. Dude is in his first year back at Miami with arguably less talent on offense than we've had in years, and people expect magic. OL bad, Kayaa deer in headlights with any pressure (couple this with the bad OL), no powerful RB like what he normally had a UGA (to also go along with the bad OL), and taking over a team coached by Al Golden. Let's at least see what happens in year 2. We are still expecting a weak OL, we don't know what we have at QB and our RB situation isn't really any better yet.

Advertisement
Means nothing yet, all coaches do this.

Lol huh? All coaches do what? Not saying anything will come of it, but whatever is happening here is not the norm or typical.

Actually, yes it is. You just haven't been paying attention

It's called consulting, and it happens all the time.

I realize consulting is common, but the way the story was written just didn't give off that vibe. They didn't hint at anything either way, but one would think that if it were purely consulting, they would have clarified. 247 writers aren't the greatest, but that would be some Rivals level laziness IMO.

Lol huh? All coaches do what? Not saying anything will come of it, but whatever is happening here is not the norm or typical.

Yes it is. Many coaches do this. You're over-analyzing...and clearly not paying attention to the rest of college football. Not surprised.

LOL look at this loser on my **** after I made him look stupid in another thread. Of course many coaches do this, but when did OUR staff ever have guys come and consult last year? If I missed it then I will gladly admit I was simply wrong, but I don't recall that happening any with Richt and staff last year which is why this story read differently to me.

Guarantee I know much more about the rest of college football than you, sport. Not ashamed to admit CFB is a bit of an obsession of mine.

Last edited:
Richt giving up play calling duties

Would be ridiculously fantastic news. It's the only aspect of the current regime that still has me worried.

I am worried about it as well but I don't see CMR giving up that duty. I am interested to see what CMR does to our Offense with a QB who is mobile. I hope it'll mean he will be a little more creative with his plays.

I hear you, but I'm highly skeptical. He's got conservative disease....highly contagious and not easily cured.

The schedule is about as easy as it could be this year, so if he doesn't show improvement calling plays we'll know the answer soon enough.

Agreed.

**** cracks me up here. Dude is in his first year back at Miami with arguably less talent on offense than we've had in years, and people expect magic. OL bad, Kayaa deer in headlights with any pressure (couple this with the bad OL), no powerful RB like what he normally had a UGA (to also go along with the bad OL), and taking over a team coached by Al Golden. Let's at least see what happens in year 2. We are still expecting a weak OL, we don't know what we have at QB and our RB situation isn't really any better yet.

strong poster

Oregon couldn't play a lick of defense. The offense wasn't Kelly level but still top 15. I wouldn't hate him taking on some type of role

Advertisement
If Helfrich is a QC guy, or maybe a QB coach, with Lil Richt heading back to the front office where he belongs, I'd be happy. Helfrich, despite being unable to field a defense worth a ****, still had some pretty good offenses at Oregon, and his QB work wasn't half bad. He was an awful program manager, and that's why he failed at UO. That, and the fact that he thought that he could recruit clean there, and as we learned with Chip K., you have to make that Nike money work for you.

Richt wants a faster paced up-tempo Offense that can run upwards of 70 plays a game without dissolving into compete gimmick mode & maintaining the Pro-style system.

Coaches meet with other Coaches/staffs all the time, sometimes it's just to exchange ideas, doesn't necessarily mean he's getting hired.

Or, he could could think about adding him to the staff as an analyst, which would be absolutely great.

Either way, it's pretty clear Richt has some big aspirations for this Offense, this shows he's looking to improve in areas he struggled with last season, it also shows he's planning to win BIG.

We got a ton of weapons, with Ahmmon Richards, Dionte Mullins, Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley, Braxton Berrios, Deejay Dallas, Lawrence Cager, Evidence Njoku, Jovani Haskins, Michael Irvin(g), Brian Polendey, Mark Walton, Travis Homer, Robert Burns etc...

Helfrich is only to help take Richt's Ferrari to the showroom floor.

This 100x. We had a bunch of silly mistakes when we went up tempo last year, False starts and illegal formations etc. MH has great experience with that and can give Richt some helpful ideas on getting kids accustomed to switching from a regular pace to a much faster paced offense. Great example of Richt understanding where we need improvement and taking steps to making the Canes the Canes again. Would like to see Helrich brought on board in some capacity.

Go Canes!

Are you guys just guessing based on what you think he wants to do, or do you have inside knowledge that Rick is looking to go uptempo?
Richt said it himself dozens of times he wanted to go uptempo last season.

I realize consulting is common, but the way the story was written just didn't give off that vibe. They didn't hint at anything either way, but once would think that if it were purely consulting, they would have clarified. 247 writers aren't the greatest, but that would be some Rivals level laziness IMO.

Yes it is. Many coaches do this. You're over-analyzing...and clearly not paying attention to the rest of college football. Not surprised.

LOL look at this loser on my **** after I made him look stupid in another thread. Of course many coaches do this, but when did OUR staff ever have guys come and consult last year? If I missed it then I will gladly admit I was simply wrong, but I don't recall that happening any with Richt and staff last year which is why this story read differently to me.

Guarantee I know much more about the rest of college football than you, sport. Not ashamed to admit CFB is a bit of an obsession for me.

Hahaha...oh so now its "Richt" and "OUR staff" specifically that you have been referring to this entire time? Flipped the narrative to fit your argument did we? You were wrong...pretty clear. You've been called on it by multiple people. Have a nice night chinstrap...better yet stay up all night and keep on digging.

And don't come crying over here b/c I didn't read your abhorrent wall of text in another thread regurgitating the same B.S. that I've heard 30 times already. Piece of repeating sh...

I realize consulting is common, but the way the story was written just didn't give off that vibe. They didn't hint at anything either way, but once would think that if it were purely consulting, they would have clarified. 247 writers aren't the greatest, but that would be some Rivals level laziness IMO.

Guarantee I know much more about the rest of college football than you, sport. Not ashamed to admit CFB is a bit of an obsession for me.

Hahaha...oh so now its "Richt" and "OUR staff" specifically that you have been referring to this entire time? Flipped the narrative to fit your argument did we? You were wrong...pretty clear. You've been called on it by multiple people. Have a nice night chinstrap...better yet stay up all night and keep on digging.

And don't come crying over here b/c I didn't read your abhorrent wall of text in another thread regurgitating the same B.S. that I've heard 30 times already. Piece of repeating sh...

I apologize for not clarifying in my original post, but I indeed am aware that coaches consult fairly often around the country; sorry if that disappoints you. Perhaps I came off overly abrasive originally, but I said "whatever is happening here is not the norm or typical" because as far as I know we didn't bring in anyone to consult last year. Why is it unreasonable to think it could be something else based on the fact that our staff hasn't really brought in other coaches? Like I said, if we have and I simply missed it then I will have no problem admitting I was wrong.

What do you mean "don't come crying over here"? You aren't too sharp, are you? I literally started this thread, and YOU replied to one of MY comments saying some **** about "not surprised" as if you're familiar with me. You wouldn't know if it's "the same BS you've heard 30 times already" since you didn't read it, now would you? And if you really have heard what I said 30 times, that simply means you're also a closed-minded moron instead of just a moron, because all I did was state and explain facts about Kaaya's overwhelming mediocrity and underachievement. However, please continue telling me how much more knowledgeable you are than me when you're too soft to even engage in factual discussion after coming at me (not the other way around, mind you) with presumptuous sarcasm and such creative insults as "dumbass," "dumbfvck," "retarded," and "sheep." I'll wait for any more fly-by opinions you'd like to drop without actually having the nuts to back them up. :monkey-serious:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Richt wants a faster paced up-tempo Offense that can run upwards of 70 plays a game without dissolving into compete gimmick mode & maintaining the Pro-style system.

Coaches meet with other Coaches/staffs all the time, sometimes it's just to exchange ideas, doesn't necessarily mean he's getting hired.

Or, he could could think about adding him to the staff as an analyst, which would be absolutely great.

Either way, it's pretty clear Richt has some big aspirations for this Offense, this shows he's looking to improve in areas he struggled with last season, it also shows he's planning to win BIG.

We got a ton of weapons, with Ahmmon Richards, Dionte Mullins, Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley, Braxton Berrios, Deejay Dallas, Lawrence Cager, Evidence Njoku, Jovani Haskins, Michael Irvin(g), Brian Polendey, Mark Walton, Travis Homer, Robert Burns etc...

Helfrich is only to help take Richt's Ferrari to the showroom floor.

This 100x. We had a bunch of silly mistakes when we went up tempo last year, False starts and illegal formations etc. MH has great experience with that and can give Richt some helpful ideas on getting kids accustomed to switching from a regular pace to a much faster paced offense. Great example of Richt understanding where we need improvement and taking steps to making the Canes the Canes again. Would like to see Helrich brought on board in some capacity.

Go Canes!

Are you guys just guessing based on what you think he wants to do, or do you have inside knowledge that Rick is looking to go uptempo?
Richt said it himself dozens of times he wanted to go uptempo last season.

and we struggled last year when we tried to speed tings up. If Helfrich has a strong suit it would be his experience in an uptempo offense.

Go Canes!

Richt wants a faster paced up-tempo Offense that can run upwards of 70 plays a game without dissolving into complete gimmick mode while maintaining the Pro-style system.

Or, he could think about adding him to the staff as an analyst, which would be absolutely great.

Helfrich is only help to take Richt's Ferrari to the showroom floor.

Miami HAS ALWAYS had weapons....you naming guys who have yet to even catch a college pass or done anything of note.....we shattered offensive record books when the offense was using ah 2 back 2 wideout system....we have players to run whichever system we choose....all of sudden to switch to an RPO/Zone read system won't necessarily guarantee results....

Advertisement
Think it is great that CMR is talking about anything with a high level offensive guy like Helfrich. Whether it is just, "lets get you some buzz Mark" or "if no HC jobs open up soon, you can always spend a year here" it is better than the staff going to Dallas to learn how to play defense.......in the NFL.

Richt wants a faster paced up-tempo Offense that can run upwards of 70 plays a game without dissolving into complete gimmick mode while maintaining the Pro-style system.

Or, he could think about adding him to the staff as an analyst, which would be absolutely great.

Helfrich is only help to take Richt's Ferrari to the showroom floor.

Miami HAS ALWAYS had weapons....you naming guys who have yet to even catch a college pass or done anything of note.....we shattered offensive record books when the offense was using ah 2 back 2 wideout system....we have players to run whichever system we choose....all of sudden to switch to an RPO/Zone read system won't necessarily guarantee results....

Oklahoma won titles and shattered records running the wishbone. Teams used to run the wing-T. Nebraska dominated running 95% of it's offense out of the I formation. You know why those teams don't use those concepts anymore? Defenses caught up to them. There's a reason the old 2 back, 1 tight end "pro style" offense is hardly used anymore. It's predictable and easy for defenses today to stop. Look at the top offenses in the nation year in and year out. They're all spreading it out and speeding it up. Even dinosaurs like Alabama and Wisconsin have incorporated tons of spread sets into their offense. It's just the natural transition to the way football is played and called in 2017. If you've got a stable of lightning quick wide receivers, why would you take one out and replace him with a one dimensional fullback or blocking tight end? Unless you're in short yardage type situations, those players are just taking reps away from game breaking skill position players. Every rule change occurs to help the offense and make games higher scoring. By purposely slowing down your offense, you're not taking advantage of the way the game is reffed.

People are making this more complicated than it is. I call it consulting, Coach Macho calls a clinicing. He's right.

It's coaches talking about coach shīt, specifically on offense. Maybe he made a presentation with the slides and all. Or maybe they set around the table and drew on the whiteboard. But I guarantee you there were some discussions about offense and implementation. That's what this was about.

Advertisement
Back