Has there ever been a stranger time than this in modern Canes football?

The only thing different this time around is that the nation has picked up on how incompetent the administration is, though they're labeling it as the admin "doesn't care enough". That's where you're wrong Herbie, it's incompetence plain and simple.

Have no idea how @Hogan or anyone who agreed with him sees a light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to take a miracle to save this program. Plain and simple.
They don’t give a ****. UM has revenues of about $5B/yr. Even if they were incompetent, things would be different if a single shlt was given.

Advertisement
Wait until the Canes beat North Carolina this weekend. That's when things will get really strange.
Yes. All these riverboat gamblers betting their houses on UNC will be asking for their $25 back and calling the number for squid game

The Washington win was 65-7. The Syracuse win the week before was 59-7. That still is the biggest combined rout of ranked teams in back to back games in NCAAF history.

For whatever reason, Coker wasn't willing to run up the score the same way against Nebraska. (I think he might have said he respected Nebraska from the Big 8 days or something.)
I don’t remember the Syracuse game, but Coker didn’t have a choice in the Washington game. A remember very little, considering it was a 8pm and we unlocked the door at Town & Country Hooters at 10am that morning. We scored so quick, plus a few D touchdowns and it was a route

Advertisement
seems crazy, but i think this is a turning point in program. Herbstriet turned on the nation to what our fan base has know for years.
issues in program start above HC, namely AD,President( who has no idea what a successful athletic program means to a school)
and the BOT. this is first time that a lot of folks are looking at what is really wrong under the hood at Miami.
new AD,( who cleans house) who hires HC, then reassign Frenk to stop the red ink at U health ...... hire a new president
Better thank narry Jackson who you guys hate for the whole thing

The 2018 season was a rough one, that God forsaken onside kick vs UVA still has me shellshocked to this day lol

But there was still hope because we had just come off the 2017 season where we were playing in the ACC title game (even though we got shellacked by Clemson), we as a team were still just a competent OC & a QB away from turning things around.

I was 100% against hiring Diaz the way we did, I wanted Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell (whoops lol), or possibly a guy like Neal Brown, I absolutely hated the Diaz hire but I was willing to give him a chance because I’m usually pretty fair to most coaches (except for Folden I wanted Folden gone from day 1). It sucks how things completely turned against us a program because Flake James didn’t do his due diligence, but even with all the stress & drama of the 2018 season I still had hope for the program...

Right now, I don’t have much hope unless we get a good HC & find a new AD, I’m pretty certain Diaz gets fired sometime this year, but I have very little optimism this Admin & BOT will make the right hire to replace him. I still think they’re going to be dirt cheap & look for a bargain bin hire, I really hope I’m wrong though.
Heuphal wuodbe been bad too

Heuphal wuodbe been bad too
I don’t think so, he has Tennessee in a really good spot for the future & he doesn’t even have his own recruits in there yet. Wait till he gets his own QB, he’s gonna fck up the whole flow of the SEC east & be a team that keeps the other schools in their conference on upset watch.

He’s a good coach, Canes fans just don’t have any patience, he would’ve took our offensive talent & had us averaging over 400yds a game.

Advertisement
There's the head coach who spouts gibberish to the media, has lost the fanbase, his staff and probably the players, and who everyone knows (including him) is likely a lame-duck.

There's the AD who has effectively been silenced on football matters and could also be on the chopping block.

There are the current and former players who are posting cryptic messages on social media.

There are the fans who are in open revolt, waiting and hoping for the game that triggers the firings, and unsure whether to root for or against the team.

There is the administration being called out on national TV (albeit by a friend of the program), which ironically may be THE catalyst that brings about change.

And then there's the team itself with a 2-3 record but less than halfway through the season and on paper all their preseason goals are still attainable.

Let me know if I missed anything.
I would add a BOT that prioritizes revenue and academic rankings and only cares about football or fans when there’s negative perception towards the university and athletic revenue is somehow affected. We are in this mess because of their apathy towards football and allowing an incompetent AD whose only responsibility is to fundraise and generate revenue.

I don’t think so, he has Tennessee in a really good spot for the future & he doesn’t even have his own recruits in there yet. Wait till he gets his own QB, he’s gonna fck up the whole flow of the SEC east & be a team that keeps the other schools in their conference on upset watch.

He’s a good coach, Canes fans just don’t have any patience, he would’ve took our offensive talent & had us averaging over 400yds a game.
Hepuel and UCf's ex AD Danny White both went to Tenn. But people couldn't see past the fact he was at UCF

Oh fella's there were some really bad days in the old days. In the 70's the Canes lost to the University of Tampa (exactly) when Fran Curci was coaching. And one year they lost to FAMU. There was the gator flop that may have been one of the most embarrassing moments in U football.
The Canes teams in the mid to late 70's had some talent Sullivan, Foreman, OJ Anderson and a few good defenders that made it to the league, but never enough. The coaching was horrendous but the administration even back then was not really interested in the football program. Lou Saban pointed them in the right direction and Schnellenberger well was just luck. He started the "U" And the rest is history. We are all simply hoping to get lucky again because the administration like back then and now simply does not care. As folks have been saying for years the admin just wants to cash checks.

Advertisement
Kinda feels that way, huh?

What will 2025 bring us???
A reversal of fortune.

Miami hires ... in 2022 and the course is corrected.

2025: Miami wins its 40th consecutive game, a streak started in 2023, and the second of back-to-back undefeated NCs, easily beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. All draft-eligible sophomores and juniors declare they are returning in 2026 for the opportunity of an unprecedented 3rd consecutive NC and to beat Oklahoma's 47-game winning streak. Coach ... spurns NFL offers, signing an extension through 2030, making him the highest paid NC in football, college or professional.

Last edited:
The Washington win was 65-7. The Syracuse win the week before was 59-7. That still is the biggest combined rout of ranked teams in back to back games in NCAAF history.

For whatever reason, Coker wasn't willing to run up the score the same way against Nebraska. (I think he might have said he respected Nebraska from the Big 8 days or something.)
The score of the Syracuse game was 59-0.

Coker took a lot of heat for the score or the two games. So much, I think he called off the dawgs the following week at VT, up 20-3 at halftime. Nearly lost the game. Did the same in the Rose Bowl, although the score was 34-0 at the half. The Canes should have not stopped until they hit 50. IMO.

Last edited:
I would add a BOT that prioritizes revenue and academic rankings and only cares about football or fans when there’s negative perception towards the university and athletic revenue is somehow affected. We are in this mess because of their apathy towards football and allowing an incompetent AD whose only responsibility is to fundraise and generate revenue.
It's actually not very hard to prioritize both academics and athletics. The two aren't even close to mutually exclusive.

Advertisement
I agree with JeddTheFisch on that ^^^ plus, actually, the University receives more applications for academics annually from prospective students the better the football team does. That enables the Admissions officers to be more selective which raises the academic profile & prestige of the University. There is a very strong correlation between success in football and growth in Applications. So, a smart President would make football a major priority.

Advertisement
Back