Has there ever been a stranger time than this in modern Canes football?

The 2014 season was the last time I felt this bad about a Miami team in recent memory...

Starting with the opening asskickin by LVille, then losing on the road to Nebraska, then the GTech game & finishing off the season with a 4 game losing streak culminating with a loss to South Carolina in the Independence Bowl.

I never wanted Al Folden hired here in the first place, but by that time I had reached my breaking point, I really really hated that guy (and still do lol) & was so extremely frustrated we didn’t fire him. I wasn’t on this board at that time but I can tell yall without doubt yall would’ve thought I had a mental breakdown with how mad I was that season, I don’t think I’ve ever been that angry before in my life lol.

I’m not as angry about this season, more just tired & defeated. I don’t have any fire left for this year, I don’t even get mad when I see how bad we play, I just sigh & smh...
This program has all but lost its fire too. No one involved - whether it be the players, coaches, administration, etc. seems to hurt after a loss anymore.

Advertisement
I used to be so arrogant about Canes football…I became a Canes fan when I enrolled at UM in 2000.

Anyway, my mentality used to be if we got to two losses in a season, I considered the season a bust and I would just stop watching.

Needless to say, I missed half of the Coker years and nearly all of the Shannon years. Literally only saw a few games from those times.

Weirdly, what got me back in to it was the message boards. It was all the Jon Gruden talk before we hired Al Golden, and then the Shapiro **** hit and it was like crack. Way more interesting than the garbage product on the field UM had started putting out.

Point is…actually I have no clue what my point is. Coaching searches are fun, I guess.
Hi, RightsaidFred!

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

Let's not forget his stubborn defense of his son (nepotism learned from the master Bobby B himself) .....
the saving grace was that he stepped down with dignity or we would have been where we are currently since Richt was insistent on calling plays.
He was also atrocious at recruiting. Completely and totally reliant on Golden's players.

rock bottom for this coach. we also lost to g5 teams under golden and got smoked by Clemson where the opponent didn't even go to the locker room.

before that we lost to USF at home in front of 12 people.

before that we got into a huge brawl with FIU.
I still remember James Bryant taking that bow after his TD and then all **** broke lose

The only thing different this time around is that the nation has picked up on how incompetent the administration is, though they're labeling it as the admin "doesn't care enough". That's where you're wrong Herbie, it's incompetence plain and simple.

Have no idea how @Hogan or anyone who agreed with him sees a light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to take a miracle to save this program. Plain and simple.

Advertisement
You are describing the late eighties and early nineties mentality of most Cane fans. One loss and the season was a bust.
I remember feeling like the world ended after the "fumble in South Bend" game.
Any loss was condition for suicide watch..
Was young and naive back then.

Now I just move on... no more scheduling days around cane games anymore.

We were so **** dominant back in the day. When I was at school there, I remember we were just so much faster and more athletic than everyone else it was crazy. Like I remember one game when Washington came to the OB and we whipped them like 70-3 or some ****…it was like playing a high school team even though they were ranked in the top 10 I think.

How you go from that level of dominance to the **** we see today is a mystery to me. One I’ve thought about a bit but I don’t have the answer for.

Those 80’s/90’s teams must have been something to watch. Dudes like Warren Sapp, Cortez Kennedy, Jerome Brown, Michael Irvin…legends man. And all that swag **** started there.

The most disgusting 3 year period in Cane history. Our 2 worst coaches in the 70s were only here 1 year and 2 years
I was in my late teens at that time and said WTF. Many Canes today never experienced the pre-championship years. Before then, it wasn’t much better than it is today.

Kinda feels that way, huh?

2005:
* Coach who won a national title and runs a solid program yet the decline of the program was evident.

2010:
*. Head coach who was a local boy and won the top coordinator in CFB award but had no idea what the fuq he was doing. Fans could not believe he was handed the head coaching job after showing a complete inability to communicate effectively in any way. Seemed to hate his own players, especially the most successful ones.

2015:
* Head coach who was widely regarded and an up and coming hot commodity in the coaching ranks yet turned out to be an incompetent sociopath who only knew how to imitate his mentor, who incidentally turned out to be a child molester.

2018:
* Head coach who was highly successful and was a former player. Seemed to have righted the ship with a limited roster then turns out to have a rapidly developing health problem and needs to resign immediately.

2021:
* A failed sports media analyst who tried his hand at coaching (in lieu of having to grow up and get a real job) somehow elevates to the rank of head coach despite having no real history in the sport. Gets exposed as a fraud yet has political connections that prevent his termination.

What will 2025 bring us???

Mostly correct but Richt did not inherit a limited roster. He and Diaz failed utterly at talent evaluation and development and could not build on the good (but not correctly utilized) talent in the roster that Golden brought in.

We were so **** dominant back in the day. When I was at school there, I remember we were just so much faster and more athletic than everyone else it was crazy. Like I remember one game when Washington came to the OB and we whipped them like 70-3 or some ****…it was like playing a high school team even though they were ranked in the top 10 I think.

How you go from that level of dominance to the **** we see today is a mystery to me. One I’ve thought about a bit but I don’t have the answer for.

Those 80’s/90’s teams must have been something to watch. Dudes like Warren Sapp, Cortez Kennedy, Jerome Brown, Michael Irvin…legends man. And all that swag **** started there.
Everybody caught up. I’ve said it many times - we caught the CFB world by surprise. We can’t sneak up on anybody anymore.

Advertisement
Mostly correct but Richt did not inherit a limited roster. He and Diaz failed utterly at talent evaluation and development and could not build on the good (but not correctly utilized) talent in the roster that Golden brought in.

id say for Manny, it ignores his years as a DC to. how he got an HC. job. also don't think his dads political connections will prevent him getting canned.

The only thing different this time around is that the nation has picked up on how incompetent the administration is, though they're labeling it as the admin "doesn't care enough". That's where you're wrong Herbie, it's incompetence plain and simple.

Have no idea how @Hogan or anyone who agreed with him sees a light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to take a miracle to save this program. Plain and simple.
That's because they've picked up on the fact that they haven't had to hate us properly for a while. And they miss it...

Ironically this national hate might be helping drive change

the landscape changed but the program hasn't. that's the problem.

I still remember James Bryant taking that bow after his TD and then all **** broke lose

Ah, yes, James Bryant. Three catches his entire college career. Nobody would remember him in the least if it weren't for his bow that turned into such a disaster.

Advertisement
The 2014 season was the last time I felt this bad about a Miami team in recent memory...

Starting with the opening asskickin by LVille, then losing on the road to Nebraska, then the GTech game & finishing off the season with a 4 game losing streak culminating with a loss to South Carolina in the Independence Bowl.

I never wanted Al Folden hired here in the first place, but by that time I had reached my breaking point, I really really hated that guy (and still do lol) & was so extremely frustrated we didn’t fire him. I wasn’t on this board at that time but I can tell yall without doubt yall would’ve thought I had a mental breakdown with how mad I was that season, I don’t think I’ve ever been that angry before in my life lol.

I’m not as angry about this season, more just tired & defeated. I don’t have any fire left for this year, I don’t even get mad when I see how bad we play, I just sigh & smh...
Could not have said it better myself.

The Washington win was 65-7. The Syracuse win the week before was 59-7. That still is the biggest combined rout of ranked teams in back to back games in NCAAF history.

For whatever reason, Coker wasn't willing to run up the score the same way against Nebraska. (I think he might have said he respected Nebraska from the Big 8 days or something.)

Advertisement
That's because they've picked up on the fact that they haven't had to hate us properly for a while. And they miss it...

Ironically this national hate might be helping drive change

Miami used to be like Darth Vader in the first two Star Wars movies. Coaches would **** their pants when they heard the theme music. Now CFB views UM like Vader after he was unmasked at the end of Return of the Jedi. What was once seen as an unstoppable force of pure evil and willpower is now viewed as a feeble old man who was entirely dependent on artifical life support (in our case, ACC checks) to keep him alive.

The Washington win was 65-7. The Syracuse win the week before was 59-7. That still is the biggest combined rout of ranked teams in back to back games in NCAAF history.

For whatever reason, Coker wasn't willing to run up the score the same way against Nebraska. (I think he might have said he respected Nebraska from the Big 8 days or something.)

Good memory. I didn’t remember the exact score, just that it was pure dominance.

The most frustrating part is that we can’t even field a half component team. You watch any other team play on Saturdays and you see the clear difference in coaching, preparedness, discipline, and most importantly excitement. Us fans are not expecting to make the CFB playoffs every year, we just want a solid team that competes hard and does the simple things right. How tf can you field a team that can’t catch, block, tackle, etc…

It’s not unreasonable to say we can be at least a Penn State type program (on the field) win 9-10 games a year and occasionally make a run for it all. Like I said before, we don’t expect to win the National Championship every year but got **** we play in the worst division in CFB with a top 3 recruiting base in the country. Where we have been as a program for these past two decades is completely unacceptable. End of story.

Advertisement
Back